daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2015, 01:31 PM   #2061
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2586

We may say that in UK the same trend is taking shape as IEP /Hitachi Super Express trains feature 26 m long cars although longest formations will be 9 car which gives only 234 m so the length constrains are high and as trains can't be longer or double deck the only solution is to run much more frequent services than on continent.
Richard_P está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #2062
ElectroSoldier

Likes (Received): 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I think he's asking if you can REACH any station from London in one day. i.e. London-Aberdeen, or London-Anglesey.
I see.

If that is the question, then yes any one single station is reachable in 24 hours
ElectroSoldier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 03:55 PM   #2063
stefeni-ts

Likes (Received): 41

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/video/ne...-4042446144001

Derailment at Fratton this morning
stefeni-ts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #2064
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is it possible, on a single daytime journey, to reach every railway station connected to the network in Great Britain island from London on a regular weekday?
Not quite.

Teesside Airport Station is only called at on Sundays (one train per direction).

Kirton Lindsey and Brigg are Saturdays only, Manchester United Halt is 'selected matchdays only' and Falls of Cruchan is Summer only.

I had thought that the weekly Stockport - Stalybridge train was Saturdays, but it's Fridays, and in the right direction - if it was from Stalybridge to Stockport, I think it would be impossible to get from London to Stalybridge by half-nine to board the train - there's no train in the opposite direction.

Shippea Hill's 0723 call on Norwich bound trains has Cambridge trains early enough.

As for single daytime journey - depends on time of year, and many stations don't have direct trains to London (though none are more than two changes*)

*Cardiff Bay; Merseyrail's Northern Line; stations north of Manchester without direct service to Preston, Piccadilly or Leeds; the Barton-on-Humber branch and some of Glasgow's suburban network out of Queen Street are two changes from London.

Suburbanist liked this post
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #2065
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi2111 View Post
Has anyone had a 45min connection between Euston and St. Pancras to catch the Eurostar? The eurostar website is putting a 48min connection but isn't there a passport check etc.?
That's tight, but do-able, provided you can walk at a reasonable speed.

It's about 10-15 minutes walk from Euston to St. Pancras, and it's a 30 minute check-in in Standard or Standard Premier class on Eurostar [10 minutes in Business Premier]. If they sold you the tickets, and the train is late arriving in Euston, then you will have CIV rights to be placed on a later Eurostar; they will usually choose to do a fast check-in (using the business premier lane) to shifting you to later train, so a small delay shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The key thing is making sure you know the way from Euston to St. Pancras so you can get there quickly enough. Take a good look at a map before you go to make sure you can follow the route quickly and you won't get lost, or need to follow a GPS. You can either walk along Euston Road, or you can use the Phoenix Road/Brill Place route (which is slightly longer, but it's usually possible to walk faster as the pavements are less busy). The shortcut through between the British Library and the Francis Crick centre is currently blocked by construction work, but should be open again later this year.
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #2066
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Some app with reasonable walking directions will help, I guess. Try OsmAnd
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #2067
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26165

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/t...-contract.html

CAF signs Caledonian Sleeper coach contract
10 Feb 2015

UK: Spanish rolling stock manufacturer CAF announced on February 10 that it had signed the €200m contract to supply Serco Caledonian Sleepers Ltd with 75 new coaches for use on Anglo-Scottish sleeper services from April 2018, plus associated spares and technical support.

The coaches are being financed by the Caledonian Sleepers Rail Leasing Ltd subsidiary of Lombard North Central plc, with a £60m capital grant from the Scottish government

dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #2068
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Is there any real reason we're replacing the sleeper trains? I rode a sleeper in December and found it quite enjoyable. Got a cheap ticket and a berth all to myself, dining car etc, what will the new ones have? Surely not electric as that'd make rerouting during engineering works a proper headache..
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 09:59 PM   #2069
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeguDuke View Post
Is there any real reason we're replacing the sleeper trains? I rode a sleeper in December and found it quite enjoyable. Got a cheap ticket and a berth all to myself, dining car etc, what will the new ones have? Surely not electric as that'd make rerouting during engineering works a proper headache..
A brothel?
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #2070
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Surely not electric as that'd make rerouting during engineering works a proper headache..
Why not? Around here (Netherlands) even the DMUs used by Arriva have power outlets (in 1st class). Offering 230 V throughout the sleeper train should be possible, me thinks.
Old February 10th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #2071
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 489

Hotel power from the diesel haulage shouldn't be a problem.

But new things include en suite in first class compartments and two different types of reclining seats.
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:55 AM   #2072
ElectroSoldier

Quote:
The train as it is uses Mk II sleeper coaching stock, its as old as the hills and needs replacing.
Old February 12th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #2073
dimlys1994

Little remark from Construction Enquirer:

Quote:
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...h-london-wins/

Network Rail also revealed Skanska and Bouygues-owned Colas Rail will share a £400m job to redevelop Waterloo station, including the old award-winning Eurostar terminal
Old February 12th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #2074
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Good!
Waterloo has been needing a good refurb a la KX/StP quite badly

dimlys1994 liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 03:56 PM   #2075
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Are the plans for how Waterloo will be redeveloped public yet? Or even existing?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #2076
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroSoldier View Post
The train as it is uses Mk II sleeper coaching stock, its as old as the hills and needs replacing.
It's a heavily subsidised service, do they think new trains will bring a huge increase in ridership or that people will pay more for a slight improvement in comfort?

Is age the only reason they're replacing them?
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #2077
dimlys1994

From Global Rail News:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/blog/2...-319-unveiled/

First Northern Class 319 unveiled
12 FEB, 2015

Northern Rail has overhauled the first of its new electric Class 319 trains.

Northern Rail, a Serco-Abellio joint venture, has unveiled the first of 20 electric multiple units (EMU) it received from First Capital Connect last summer.

Northern has said the first train will enter service soon between Liverpool Lime Street and Manchester Airport, with more units going into service throughout the year

Robi_damian liked this post
Old February 12th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #2078
ElectroSoldier

That is good news, and first route is the Liverpool Man Airport too which is nice
Good run that is, should knock a good 10 minutes off the journey time, even more when the line speeds get upgraded

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old February 12th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #2079
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:

Is age the only reason they're replacing them?
While age is a factor I believe that the reason to replace the Mark III sleepers also relates to the desire for a different kind of seat/bed configuration as well, and I think it was just case of the decision-makers saying "f**k it, it will cost a bomb to rebuild the mark III cars so why don't we just start from scratch?"

However I'm sure there's someone here who's much more clued up on this point.

I'm presuming in the meantime that the new coaches will still feature beds that are positioned long-ways as oppose to across the width of the car, because of that wonderful restrictive British loading of ours...
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:59 AM   #2080
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

If border and customs were not an issue, and let's assume for the sake of argument they aren't, would it be theoretically possible to run through trains from France (Calais-Folkstone) to Heathrow without resorting to any third-rail track?

Tags
rail, railways