daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2015, 03:58 PM   #2121
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=524

Virgin Trains East Coast starts operation
Monday, March 02, 2015

VIRGIN Trains East Coast (VTEC) took over operation of long-distance services from London King's Cross to Leeds, northeast England and Scotland on March 1

The Inter City Railways (ICR) joint venture of Stagecoach (90%) and Virgin (10%) was awarded an eight-year contract to operate the Inter-City East Coast (ICEC) franchise by the Department for Transport DfT last November.

Virgin branding has been applied to the existing fleet of HST diesel trains and Intercity 225 electric sets inherited from the previous East Coast franchise, which has been operated by government-owned Directly Operated Railways (DOR) since National Express (NXEC) surrendered its contract to run the route in November 2009. However, most of these trains will be replaced by a fleet of 65 Hitachi Super Express Trains (SETs)being supplied by the Agility Trains consortium, which will enter service from 2018 onwards

Congratulations Virgin with second rail franchise It's impossible to believe that when Branson began his rail services, he recieved negative claims. And see what's now

Sopomon liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2015, 05:10 PM   #2122
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

And here's the new livery on the Class 91. Not terrible, not fantastic either. Let's hope that they come up with something good for the Hitachi units.

Source: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/busin...line-1-7133778

dimlys1994 liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 06:51 PM   #2123
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
It's impossible to believe that when Branson began his rail services, he recieved negative claims.
Having seen one of his early interviews on a VHS at university (it went something like this: when asked how he would improve reliability he said that he would 'incentivise the drivers to go faster') I'm not surprised!

MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:16 PM   #2124
ElectroSoldier

Likes (Received): 301

I remember when VT took over Inter-City routes on the WCML.
Things improved over time, its better now than it was.

ElectroSoldier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 06:08 AM   #2125
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

Are there any plans to electrify the Edinburgh to Aberdeen Line up to Dundee?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 06:24 AM   #2126
ElectroSoldier

I doubt it. Same as settle Carlisle and fort William mallaig.
Traffic is so few and far between it would take so long to see a return from the cost of the OHLE.
They will all see wires one day but I don't think we will see it
Old March 5th, 2015, 02:38 PM   #2127
sotonsi

You forgot the key difference - Scotland's in charge, not Britain.

I'm pretty sure that SNP have long term plans to upgrade and electrify the routes to Aberdeen and Inverness.

And with the Scottish budget set to explode with all sorts of bribes for staying part of the Union, especially if the SNP be needed for a Coalition Government, I can see the Aberdeen stuff being firmly on the CP7 (2024-9) to do list, and perhaps even beginning earlier.

There's a good chance that Aberdeen is electrified before Hull.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #2128
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 489

From the 2012 strategy: " Long term •Examine how best to improve capacity, reliability and journey times including exploring the value of electrification of the routes southwards from Aberdeen and Inverness."
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #2129
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=524

Liverpool – Manchester electric services begin
Thursday, March 05, 2015

NORTHERN Rail began operating electric services between Manchester and Liverpool on March 5, marking the completion of the second phase of Network Rail's North West electrification programme

The first electrically-operated service was the 06.16 Manchester Airport – Liverpool Lime Street. Northern Rail has received two four-car class 319 EMUs formerly used on the cross-London Thameslink network and these are being used to operate two diagrams, although only one of these runs all day.

Further services will switch to electric traction as more class 319s are released by the delivery of new trains for Thameslink. A total of 20 trains will ultimately be transferred to Northern Rail

BriedisUnIzlietne, WingTips, Swede liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #2130
ElectroSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Rail Journal:
Good photo that is, nice vantage point of the fast and slow lines.
Looking at that photo and knowing exactly where it is makes me wonder if the press releases use a lot of photos of a train on one line while talking about another.

Old March 6th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #2131
Chris99

Likes (Received): 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis
Are there any plans to electrify the Edinburgh to Aberdeen Line up to Dundee?
The Scottish Government's Strategic Transport Projects Review set out a rolling program of electrification as follows:-

&bull; Phase 1 - Committed improvements as part of the Edinburgh to Glasgow improvements (EGIP) comprising Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk route, Diversion Routes 1 (Haymarket) and 2 (Falkirk Grahamston), and the Cumbernauld route. Also the Dunblane / Alloa route.

&bull; Phase 2 - Electrification of the remaining routes in the Central Belt (Shotts, Whifflet, Paisley Canal, Glasgow North Suburban, East Kilbride and Kilmarnock).

Phase 3 - Electrification of routes between Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee including the Fife Circle;

&bull; Phase 4 - Electrification from Dunblane to Aberdeen; and

&bull; Phase 5 &ndash; Electrification from Perth to Inverness.

Of the above schemes Paisley Canal and Whifflet were brought forward and are now wired as is
Cumbernauld.

Edinburgh-Glasgow is currently under construction.

The rolling programme of electrification will cover around 100 single track kilometres per annum, commencing from the completion of EGIP in 2018. As part of this Dunblane /Alloa will be wired by 2018 and Shotts in 2019.

Timescales beyond that are not yet confirmed but based on the rolling program of electrification continuing at the same rate you could expect the wires to reach Dundee around 2026 and Aberdeen around 2030.

Swede liked this post
Chris99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #2132
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

Pretty impressive , will the speed increase on these lines?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #2133
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

I'm reminiscing about various stations closed under Beeching.

There was one station, and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. It had a large train shed covering much of the below-ground tracks and was approached via tunnel, such that there was barely any sight of trains from the street. There was a large hotel/station building on one side. I THINK it was a through station, but I'm not sure. Can someone help me find this?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #2134
ElectroSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I'm reminiscing about various stations closed under Beeching.

There was one station, and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. It had a large train shed covering much of the below-ground tracks and was approached via tunnel, such that there was barely any sight of trains from the street. There was a large hotel/station building on one side. I THINK it was a through station, but I'm not sure. Can someone help me find this?
a part of the country might help
Old March 7th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #2135
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroSoldier View Post
a part of the country might help
Central England, I think?

Might have been around Leeds.
Old March 8th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #2136
Chris99

Likes (Received): 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis
Pretty impressive , will the speed increase on these lines?
Due to the better acceleration of the new trains the fastest Edinburgh-Glasgow journey time will be reduced from 50 mins to 42 mins. Capacity on the line will also be increased with 4/8 car EMUs replacing 3/6 car DMUs. All stations on the line will have platform extensions and Glasgow Queen Street will undergo a £100m redevelopment to accommodate the longer trains and an increase in passenger numbers:
http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/project/egip

There will be journey time reductions on other electrified lines such as Dunblane, Alloa and Shotts but exact time savings haven't been confirmed yet.

Separate from the electrification programme there are plans to reduce journey times and increase capacity on the lines between the Central Belt and Aberdeen and Inverness, and between Inverness and Aberdeen.

The Aberdeen to Inverness Rail Improvements project aims to improve commuter services, increase frequency and reduce journey time between the two cities from 2h25m to 2h. Phase 1 costing £170m will begin construction soon:
http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...l-improvements

The Highland Main Line will also be upgraded to increase capacity and reduce journey times between Inverness and Perth/Glasgow/Edinburgh. Details of the infrastructure works which will be undertaken are awaited but it is expected these will include additional double track sections. The next phase costing £120m will be constructed by 2019:
http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...land-main-line

There's also the Aberdeen-Central Belt project. This is at an early stage of development but Is likely to involve:
- Recasting of the passenger timetable on the Aberdeen – Dundee – Edinburgh / Glasgow corridors to provide express and stopping services;
- Providing one express train per hour from Aberdeen to Glasgow (two hour fifteen minute journey time);
- Providing one express train per hour from Aberdeen to Edinburgh (two hour journey time); and
- No stops at intermediate settlements for express services (except Dundee).

Separate from all of the above, HSTs will replace DMUs on all intercity routes (except Glasgow -Edinburgh which gets brand new EMUs) from 2018 providing capacity and journey time improvements as well as more comfortable trains than those which currently operate.

Richard_P liked this post
Chris99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #2137
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I'm reminiscing about various stations closed under Beeching. There was one station, and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. It had a large train shed covering much of the below-ground tracks and was approached via tunnel, such that there was barely any sight of trains from the street. There was a large hotel/station building on one side. I THINK it was a through station, but I'm not sure. Can someone help me find this?

Nottingham Victoria?
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 05:12 PM   #2138
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
Nottingham Victoria?
I'm pretty sure that's it.

Thanks!!
Old March 8th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #2139