daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2016, 02:33 AM   #2501
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Incredibly, it seems there are NO connections from the east into Euston. All the connections go the wrong way! Does anyone know if this always was/will be the case?

The first hypothetical route out of London running from ECML to WCML seems to run:

Peterborough-King's Cliffe-Caldecott-Weston by Welland-Market Harborough-Great Oxenden-Brixworth-Northampton

Last edited by 00Zy99; September 12th, 2016 at 02:58 AM.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #2502
Ashtonian

Likes (Received): 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7austin View Post
Inverness - London Euston in a Sleeper Cabin on the Caledonian Sleeper Train:

The Caledonian Sleeper train departs Inverness at 20h44 and arrives 11 hours later at 07h47 in London Euston.
Serco runs the the Caledonian Sleeper train.
Only recently Serco has been awarded the franchise by the Scottish Government.
On its way to London Euston the train calls at Aviemore, Perth, Edinburgh Waverley, Crewe and Preston.
The train travels on the Highland Main Line between Inverness and Perth and on the West Coast Mainline between Carstairs and London.
That Caledonian Sleeper train carries through cars from Fort William and Aberdeen between Edinburgh and London Euston.
Shunting action at Edinburgh Waverley to attach these through cars happens between 1am and 2am at night.
Some great work there doc Austen.

Some years ago (1990).... the sleeper to Fort William used to call in a Glasgow Central for seating passengers to join at around 0430. The electric loco at the front was decoupled and a diesel loco was added to the other end. The train left Glasgow central and I think it took a tour of the south side before passing Springburn and joining the route towards all the West Highland line stops.

I was in semi-somnous state at the time and would be grateful for anyone to give me the exact route taken by the train though the Glasgow suburbs. Wouldn't it have been more simpler for the sleeper to used Glasgow Central low level station?
Ashtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:32 AM   #2503
redstarcastles

Likes (Received): 759

158 799 Manchester Piccadilly 22 August 2016

Signage at Layton 22 August 2016
Network Northwest lives on. NNW was set up in 1989 as an attempt to create a unified network for the North West similar to the more famous Network South East. It didn't last long and it is amazing with all the rebranding of the railways of the north that a small piece exists here.

142 053 Layton 22 August 2016

57 311 Preston 22 August 2016

319 368 Preston 22 August 2016

507 017 Liverpool Lime St 22 August 2016

508 124 Liverpool Central 22 August 2016

319 375 Liverpool South Parkway 22 August 2016

156 498 Manchester Oxford Road 22 August 2016

142 001 Manchester Victoria 22 August 2016

185 108 Manchester Piccadilly 22 August 2016

185 104 Manchester Piccadilly 22 August 2016

66 513 Manchester Piccadilly 22 August 2016

142 042 Manchester Airport 22 August 2016

More here:
https://transportsceneireland.smugmu...nd-North-West/
Old September 14th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #2504
suasion

Likes (Received): 1851

Pacers I had the misfortune to be on one the other day. Ive never seen anything like it; the exterior is cherry rivets like some sort of a cheap caravan, the doors are like those of a bus and the ride quality felt like I was on a jointed line from the 70's only without the click clack.

I simply don't understand why British rolling stock is all so antiquated given how expensive train tickets are. I was on a Virgin East Coast Intercity with slam doors , I'm open to correction but they looked like Mk IIIs; Mk IIIs in Ireland (10 years retired, if you ignore the hotel train) had electric doors before 1988.
And paper reservations cards????? No wonder tickets are so expensive having to individually tag each seat before every journey.
I'm so not used to seeing open windows or flappy toilets (with the exception of Holland ). Has nobody heard of air-con?? Who still wants to work on train lines covered in human faeces?

Grimbarian liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 10:06 PM   #2505
Jeff Hawken

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonian View Post
Some great work there doc Austen.

Some years ago (1990).... the sleeper to Fort William used to call in a Glasgow Central for seating passengers to join at around 0430. The electric loco at the front was decoupled and a diesel loco was added to the other end. The train left Glasgow central and I think it took a tour of the south side before passing Springburn and joining the route towards all the West Highland line stops.

I was in semi-somnous state at the time and would be grateful for anyone to give me the exact route taken by the train though the Glasgow suburbs. Wouldn't it have been more simpler for the sleeper to used Glasgow Central low level station?
I travelled on the southbound Fort William portion on 20/09/90 and recorded the route as: Dumbarton Central, Dalmuir, Partick, Glasgow Central Low Level (non-stop), Rutherglen North - West curve, Glasgow Central. After shunting off the seating coaches, the sleepers ran forward to Carstairs, and joined another portion there to continue to Euston.
There is a prohibition on diesel traction drawing power through Glasgow Central Low Level, as the diesel fumes set off the fire alarms, causing the station to be evacuated. So the Fort William sleeper had to coast gently through the Low Level platforms without drawing power.
As for the northbound portion, I think that for a while it ran combined with the Stranraer service, so ran combined to Glasgow Central from Euston and split there. I'm uncertain as to whether that was the case in 1990 or not.

Ashtonian liked this post
Jeff Hawken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 10:12 PM   #2506
Jeff Hawken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Incredibly, it seems there are NO connections from the east into Euston. All the connections go the wrong way! Does anyone know if this always was/will be the case?

The first hypothetical route out of London running from ECML to WCML seems to run:

Peterborough-King's Cliffe-Caldecott-Weston by Welland-Market Harborough-Great Oxenden-Brixworth-Northampton
The Bedford to Bletchley line gives a south-facing connection from the East towards Euston.
Old September 14th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #2507
00Zy99

Oh. I hadn't noticed. And its even mostly double-track too. I have a book from the late '90s and it seemed to imply that the line was mostly single track. Maybe they'll re-double the rest of the line as part of the new Varsity project.
Old September 15th, 2016, 01:30 AM   #2508
Harbornite

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post

Pacers I had the misfortune to be on one the other day. Ive never seen anything like it; the exterior is cherry rivets like some sort of a cheap caravan, the doors are like those of a bus and the ride quality felt like I was on a jointed line from the 70's only without the click clack.
Pacers are based off bus designs, the Class 142s are the worst of the bunch and basically consist of Leyland national bus bodies onto BR high speed freight wagon chassis.

Quote:
I simply don't understand why British rolling stock is all so antiquated given how expensive train tickets are. I was on a Virgin East Coast Intercity with slam doors , I'm open to correction but they looked like Mk IIIs; Mk IIIs in Ireland (10 years retired, if you ignore the hotel train) had electric doors before 1988.
Not all British stock is antiquated, much of it is younger than 18. Yes there are still mark 3s in use but Chiltern modified theirs to remove the slam doors and Virgin Trains East Coast are replacing their HSTs with Class 800s and 801s at the end of this decade.

Quote:
And paper reservations cards????? No wonder tickets are so expensive having to individually tag each seat before every journey.
This won't cost much and some trains have e-reservation cards, such as the Voyagers.

Quote:
I'm so not used to seeing open windows or flappy toilets (with the exception of Holland ). Has nobody heard of air-con?? Who still wants to work on train lines covered in human faeces?

Not all trains in the UK have hopper windows, some actually have aircon. Regarding the toilets, train companies will now have to fit retention tanks to trains and old stock is being withdrawn so the problem will be reduced.
Harbornite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #2509
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post

As a result of privatisation, there was no new domestic rolling stock in the UK between 1993 (class 166) and 1998 (class 168), and not much until past 2000.

The result is that the oldest rolling stock in the UK is currently 1980s rather than 1990s, and because it's due to be replaced it's not being upgraded.

Mk IIIs are still in use on ECML, on GWML, and on GEML. On all three, there are trains on order or under construction to replace them. Mk IVs on ECML the same. A few Mk IIIs will remain in use after that - on Chilterns and on ScotRail and possibly in Wales, East Midlands and Cross Country - but they will all be upgraded to have retention toilets, at least one disabled-accessible toilet per train, and powered doors; they're required to do so by disability regulations.

Pacers will all disappear by 2020 too, for the same reason.

All new trains have aircon, and have for years - but there are still lots of 1980s trains running about at present.

By 2020, there will be some Sprinters, mostly on secondary routes - just about everywhere bar the London area - and there will be some older trains on suburban routes in South London (e.g. 455s, Networkers) and around Glasgow (318s, 320s) and there will be 319s on various non-London commuter routes; just about everything else will be relatively modern stock.

That's not to say that every new train is great (the Voyagers in particular get a lot of complaints), but the gap in the nineties means that the oldest stock is 30-40 years old instead of 20-30 at the moment, and it's very noticeable.

suasion, Harbornite liked this post
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 06:20 PM   #2510
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by po8crg View Post
The result is that the oldest rolling stock in the UK is currently 1980s rather than 1990s
Cough cough cough

Pacers, when they came in, saved many lines from closure in the end days of BR. Obviously they are way past their use-by date, and the rail boom that privatisation caused means that they would be inadequate for the services even if they weren't 30+ years old. But without them the routes they serve could have been closed in the early 90s recession.

Electrification and cascades should hopefully get rid of them.

Swede, Harbornite liked this post
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #2511
Ashtonian

Likes (Received): 765

Nice photo of the LU train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
and the rail boom that privatisation caused means
I thought the boom happened in spite of the privatisation.

Swede liked this post
Ashtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #2512
stefeni-ts

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonian View Post
Nice photo of the LU train.

I thought the boom happened in spite of the privatisation.
Ex LU Train, that is the current SWT stock on the IOW(1938 Stock - though the island batch (ex Piccadilly line) were made in 1943)
stefeni-ts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #2513
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2586

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
And most probably will be replaced by LRVs in near future British rolling stock by its dimensions and some other specific features as inter car gangways resulting in dull fronts may look old but it most certainly isn't outdated. Yes the Pacers are a pain in the butt and most certainly I am terrified when some which weren’t forced to use them proposes its overhaul and life extension But in other case it’s pretty acceptable. The Southern network withdraw last slam door stock in 2005 while their remaining units as 1970/80-ties 313 or 455 stock features for example modern air suspension with interior replaced only outdated part is traction equipment. So there isn't much to be ashamed and most certainly there can be found many countries which at that time produced much worse rolling stock which terrifies passengers up to this day. In some sense older stock as for example 1990-ties series 465 I found more comfortable than newer rolling stock (better sound proofed and more comfortable suspension) which was lost when stiffer economy rules took the lead pushing passengers needs on secondary positions.
Richard_P está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #2514
Jeff Hawken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Oh. I hadn't noticed. And its even mostly double-track too. I have a book from the late '90s and it seemed to imply that the line was mostly single track. Maybe they'll re-double the rest of the line as part of the new Varsity project.
This afternoon / evening, there is a football excursion running from London Euston to Leicester and return, using the link I described. It is quite rare to have a long-distance passenger service using this route, for the moment at least. Schedules below:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...09/20/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...09/20/advanced

Ashtonian liked this post
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:55 AM   #2515
00Zy99

I'm currently following the Varsity Line and its rebirth, as attached to the GC.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 06:35 PM   #2516
Harbornite

Railcolor have uploaded some pics of 88003 at Innotrans in Berlin.

http://railcolornews.com/2016/09/19/innotrans-2016/
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:32 AM   #2517
Harbornite

I don't recall hearing about this news. Either way, I'm glad that CAF are going ahead with this.

Quote:
UK: Spanish rolling stock manufacturer CAF has announced more details of its plans to open a UK production plant, following a meeting between company Chairman Andrés Arizkorreta and Secretary of State for Transport Chris Grayling.

‘We have looked at more than 100 locations in Wales, England and Scotland and are now working on detailed assessment of costs, design and construction timetables’, Arizkorreta said on September 12. ‘We will make a decision on the site location within the next few weeks and plan to have the new plant up and running by spring 2018.’

CAF is seeking a rail-connected site where it can construct a 15 000 m2 main building with an additional 10 000 m2 for stabling. The plant would be used to assemble, test and commission new vehicles, as well as subassemblies such as electrical and pneumatic equipment and interior furnishings.

Arizkorreta said CAF is committed to building up its presence in the UK, and there must be the scope to double the initial size of the facility to enable the company to undertake future manufacturing projects as well as maintenance and servicing activities.

CAF expects to initially recruit more than 200 staff through its CAF Rail UK subsidiary. It envisages that its supply chain would be ‘an active partner in the development of the plant’, and support the creation of further jobs.

In January Eversholt Rail Group and Arriva Rail North awarded CAF a €740m contract to supply 31 three-car and 12 four-car Civity electric multiple-units and 25 two-car and 30 three-car DMUs for use on the Northern franchise. This was followed in May by contracts from Eversholt and Beacon Rail to supply 12 five-car EMUs and 66 push-pull coaches for FirstGroup’s TransPennine Express franchise, with a separate €310m agreement covering technical support and spare parts management until 2023.

CAF is also currently manufacturing 75 cars for Serco’s Caledonian Sleeper service under a €200m contract, and has been shortlisted for a contract to supply around 50 EMUs for the Merseyrail network.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/busi ... -2018.html

dimlys1994, yeisson liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2016, 05:02 PM   #2518
Harbornite

The last GWR Weymouth Wizard?

Quote:
14-09-16. The final HST operated 2016 "Weymouth Wizard" ran from Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth and return on 10 September 2016. The current thinking is that GWR HSTs will no longer do this summer Saturday trip in future, due to a combination of low passenger loadings and the loss of a number of HST sets when IEPs come on stream. The only HST then to visit Weymouth will likely be the NMT and possibly an occasional charter. By chance or by design, celebrity powercar No. 43002 Sir Kenneth Grange put in an appearance on the final train, It is seen waiting to depart with train 1V72, the 17.28 to Bristol Temple Meads. Mark V. Pike
http://www.railway-centre.com/september-2016.html

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2016, 07:31 PM   #2519
MarkLong

Likes (Received): 5

Where the new CAF plant would located ?
MarkLong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 08:39 PM   #2520
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385