daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #261
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
He was meaning loading guage you tool. Eurostar is a HSR train. It went on the existing tracks, slower. (i see you just edited that bit out)

You quote people and reply with a line trying to justify you comment, but more often than not the comment doesnt do that, yet oyu seem to think it does.

A new line increases capacity. The WCML cost a lot and did increase capacity. It increased speeds by 25mph for 8bn. Old lines have level crossings and smaller guages, they are totally outdated and hence a lot of money to upgrade. Building a new track increases capacity much more than tacking on another two lines to an existing route. It also would result in faster trains.

Oh and as i have said before, your english is hard to comprehend that i dont think you even know what you are saying, you write in a fragmented form - i suspect you do this in portugese too.
"guage you tool"

Certainly I'm the one hard to read over here ... you guys kill english in every sentence you write.

and you mean to say that my one-liner responses to their one-liner kunning remarks are hard-to-read and theirs are not ???

And just compare the 8bln of the 560km WCML to what you will be getting for the price-per-mile of the HS1 and say that it's in the same general price tag.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #262
sotavento

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfabyanos View Post
Not in any of the proposals we have made in this country. If you want to argue with this point you are arguing with Network Rail, read the PDFs I posted and you will see that NR wants new routes to increase capacity on the old ones. Stop arguing over this, you are misinformed.

So what is your point?

I know. The wcml upgrade however does have more capcity because it included capacity improvements.

Yes loading gauge, that is what I was talking about. Do you think I'm so stupid as to think you mean southeastern is a narrow gauge!? Eurostar and channel freight can go along the classic lines via Tonbridge, via Redhill, via Sevenoaks, via Orpington, via Maidstone and even via Bat & Ball. You are so wrong its funny.

So what are you going on about it for then? I actually don't understand your point here at all.

Whatever.

Which makes no difference to the fact that there isn't the capacity. Again you are wrong.

What I could understand of it....

So we need to build more tracks? OK, so thats what was proposed. I'll leave it to the engineers to decide whether that should go next to the existing track or somewhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfabyanos View Post
OK, so we all have to suffer your nonsense because of your misinformed opinion of it do we? You've just gone on my ignore list. Go away.
Yah ... I just know that I'm totally missinformed in everything related to british railways and londo nunderground ... what else is new ... the earth is squared and british rail rules the waves and whatever ... or so it seems from reading your postings.

And by the way ... you go away with your misconseptions and other nonsense.

You are the ones that should go away ... you and your beloved network rail that puts ex.GNRER trains on hold on a sideline to allow half a dozen coal trains to overtake it in the middle of nowhere.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça

Last edited by sotavento; December 5th, 2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #263
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
"guage you tool"

Certainly I'm the one hard to read over here ... you guys kill english in every sentence you write.
My sentence was 'He was meaning loading guage you tool'. Maybe you dont know that tool means idiot?

Killing English my arse.

You get nearly everything wrong in relation to grammar, spelling and sentence construction, to the point where its difficult to know what you actually mean. Add to that being arrogant and antagonistic and you have the perfect ingredients for a forum troll.

British railways are far from perfect, nobody has said otherwise. You always come out with some example of something bad about them though, brisavoine style. Maybe you have an inferiority complex too?
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #264
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

Well if we're going to be picky it could have been "He was meaning gauge, you tool" but then I think that would have needed an exclamation mark and changed the inflection. Or, to keep it without the comma it may have been better to say "He meant gauge you tool."

Now type it out 100 times
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #265
sotavento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
My sentence was 'He was meaning loading guage you tool'. Maybe you dont know that tool means idiot?

Killing English my arse.

You get nearly everything wrong in relation to grammar, spelling and sentence construction, to the point where its difficult to know what you actually mean. Add to that being arrogant and antagonistic and you have the perfect ingredients for a forum troll.

British railways are far from perfect, nobody has said otherwise. You always come out with some example of something bad about them though, brisavoine style. Maybe you have an inferiority complex too?
By "tool" do you meant to be offensive to me ??? that is anwered simply by pointing one's mouse over the little triangle wich cames attacked to every post.

From now on I'm just going to refrain to answer people that are as low as you.
Just point and click are the solution.
— Eça
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #266
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

does anybody else hate the class 185s run by First TransPennine Express?

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #267
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
If you hate them, god help you on a pacer or another crap Northern Rail train! Manchester to Preston line now has some alright trains running on it and quite afew of the trains run in doubles(6 car) so you have a good chance of a seat.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #268
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
If you hate them, god help you on a pacer or another crap Northern Rail train! Manchester to Preston line now has some alright trains running on it and quite afew of the trains run in doubles(6 car) so you have a good chance of a seat.
I was on East Midlands Trains with use the class 158s (which first transpennine used to use) and they are so much better, seats are softer, there are no doors in the middle of the passenger area, the toilets don't open out into where people are seated and they are not and noisy or bumpy...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #269
sotavento

Quote:
I was on East Midlands Trains with use the class 158s (which first transpennine used to use) and they are so much better, seats are softer, there are no doors in the middle of the passenger area, the toilets don't open out into where people are seated and they are not and noisy or bumpy...
Weird ... spaceous and acessible doors in the passenger area , acessible toilets , eficient but not bumpy suspensions and not overly soft seating (hets call it ergonomics) are fundamental features of modern regional trains.

Quote:
What s there to hate ???

Last time I was in one it felt the same as any other modern DMU in britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
:throwup:
— Eça
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #270
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11242

The British bullet train: 'Javelin' races to London for its 140mph debut
By Rebecca Camber
Last updated at 12:46 AM on 13th December 2008

The first Hitachi six-car Class 395 Bullet train sweeps pass traffic
on the M2 in Kent en route to London's St Pancras from Ashford

Britain's own version of the Japanese bullet train raced into London on its maiden passenger voyage yesterday - at speeds of up to 140mph.

The Javelin train completed the 56-mile journey from Ashford in Kent in just 37 minutes - shaving 46 minutes off the standard 83-minute trip.

The £260million Javelins will be the fastest operating domestic service trains in Britain, running at their maximum speed.

In 2012 they will be used to whisk Olympics spectators from St Pancras in central London to the main 2012 Games site in Stratford, on the far east of the city, in just seven minutes.

A total of 29 of the new trains will go into service on Kent to London routes at the end of next year, slashing journey times.

The London-Canterbury trip will be cut from 102 minutes to just over an hour, Folkestone-London will fall from 98 minutes to 63, while Ramsgate-London will be reduced from two hours to 84 minutes.

But passengers wanting to save time by riding on the Javelins will have to dig deep.

Rail bosses are planning to charge up to 35 per cent more than the standard fare.

The Class 395 train, designed and manufactured by Hitachi in Japan, is based on the same technology as the Japanese Shinkansen 'bullet' trains which can reach up to 186mph. Currently, the fastest trains on Britain's domestic rail network are Virgin's fleet of Pendelinos which travel at 125mph on the West Coast main line.

Manufacturers claim the Class 395 will be not only faster but safer - thanks to a new type of welding that improves crash resistance.

The trains are still being tested but yesterday Transport Minister Lord Adonis was one of the first to try out the new service.

He said: 'When these trains enter service next year they will transform the journeys of large numbers of rail passengers travelling between Kent and London - in some cases halving journey times.' The managing director of Southeastern trains Charles Horton said: 'This is a huge step forward. It gives thousands of our passengers a whole new range of choices about where they live, how they travel to work and how they link up with rail connections to other parts of the country and the continent.'

nazrey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #271
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18172

I think the British "HSR" is still slow compared to the standards reached elsewhere on the continent.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #272
sotonsi

That 140mph (225km/h) is a slower stopping service. All current and planned HSL go at 300km/h or more.

HSL in the UK doesn't need to be overly fast - Manchester is 2 hours at 200km/h, Newcastle not that much more, Glasgow and Edinburgh need speeds we haven't obtained yet to be competitive with air.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #273
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18172

UK competition watchdog wants longer rail franchises

LONDON, Dec 16 (Reuters) - Rail regulators should consider longer franchise terms, 12 to 15 years or longer, to give train operators more leverage in talks with rolling stock companies, Britain's competition watchdog said on Tuesday.

"We've sought to bring in measures that will stimulate competition as opposed to ones which deal with the outcomes stemming from restricted competition, such as price controls," Competition Commission deputy chairman Diana Guy said in a statement.

Passenger rolling stock in Britain is predominantly owned by three companies; Angel Trains Ltd , HSBC Rail (UK) Ltd and Porterbrook Leasing Co Ltd.

In provisional findings published in August, the commission said the very limited number of rolling stock options available to train operating companies when bidding for rail passenger franchises was restricting competition.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #274
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Aren't those the ones that are called sardine cans because the access is shit and they are short!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/7747873.stm

185 any day.
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #275
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post

Last time I was in one it felt the same as any other modern DMU in britain.

:throwup:
Pacer

Class 185

Vast difference.
One has aircon, the other doesn't.
One has electronic boards with information on, the other doesn't.
One has tables, the other doesn't.
One has plug sockets, the other doesn't.
One has beer for sale, the other doesn't.
One has a first class section, the other doesn't.
Basically one is a cold shed with seats in from an old class room put on two steel beams and the other is conformable. I refuse to travel on a Pacer. Its something that should be sent to Eastern Russia.
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #276
taikoo.city
ぴったん,ラーラーもじぴったん~~

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
That 140mph (225km/h) is a slower stopping service. All current and planned HSL go at 300km/h or more.
Ironically that "Shinkansen" is actually based on a train that is built for the conventional narrow gauge lines, with a top speed of ONLY 130km/h (and by coincidence, these trains can tilt too): http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...885?uselang=ja The only two countries that have the "true" Shinkansen trains exported to are Taiwan (700T) and China (CRH2).

I'm not sure if a Pendolino can do a better job than Javelins with its tilting capability (the Javelins don't tilt), but if it's not for higher acceleration I'd rather see a faster train such as one derived from Tsubame (800 Series, also manufactured by Hitachi) or N700. I wonder how the Eurostars may be slowed down by sharing the high speed track with the slower stopping Javelin services...

> Hong Kong is still part of the United Kingdom!! Please help BN(O)s to get what they deserve~~

> MTR North Island Line Discussion Thread
taikoo.city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #277
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:

HSL in the UK doesn't need to be overly fast - Manchester is 2 hours at 200km/h, Newcastle not that much more, Glasgow and Edinburgh need speeds we haven't obtained yet to be competitive with air.
An integrated HSR system in the UK would add so much to the nation and the economy. Having regular trains going between the large cities at 300km/h would make it so easy to live in Birmingham or Leeds (etc) and work in Central London. The economy would benefit immensely.

Build it already!
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #278
taikoo.city
ぴったん,ラーラーもじぴったん~~

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
An integrated HSR system in the UK would add so much to the nation and the economy. Having regular trains going between the large cities at 300km/h would make it so easy to live in Birmingham or Leeds (etc) and work in Central London. The economy would benefit immensely.

Build it already!
Agreed. HSR is a must for Britain to stay competitive with Europe and the rest of the world, shame the progress is a bit too slow.

> Hong Kong is still part of the United Kingdom!! Please help BN(O)s to get what they deserve~~

> MTR North Island Line Discussion Thread
taikoo.city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #279
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Why would you ever want to support 100 to 200 mile commutes? The whole point of HSL would be to allow the regional cities to get better economies, not making them dormitory towns for London.

We do need it, but we're a far closer in country than France and Spain - the vast majority of the British population is within 200 miles of London. The speed doesn't give as many benefits - hence why, once we got 125mph running years ago, we haven't accelerated. HS1 was more about congestion relief and taking Eurostar off slow linespeed tracks inside the London urban area. HS2 will be about congestion relief more than massively high speed - we might as well go for 300km/h, because we can, though 200/225km/h would suffice really.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #280
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Why would you ever want to support 100 to 200 mile commutes? The whole point of HSL would be to allow the regional cities to get better economies, not making them dormitory towns for London.

We do need it, but we're a far closer in country than France and Spain - the vast majority of the British population is within 200 miles of London. The speed doesn't give as many benefits - hence why, once we got 125mph running years ago, we haven't accelerated. HS1 was more about congestion relief and taking Eurostar off slow linespeed tracks inside the London urban area. HS2 will be about congestion relief more than massively high speed - we might as well go for 300km/h, because we can, though 200/225km/h would suffice really.
Agreed. I would love to see 300km+ (and we should aim higher) but what we have now is truly competitive with the continent.

People assume TGV/ICE run at 300km/h non stop. This is far from true. 300km is the maximum speed achieved at some point (or several points) within the journey. Journey times from London to Manchester at 200km/h are competitive with what you might find in France or Germany.

Eurostar reaches 300km in the UK - it's actually the French TGV network restrictions that causes it to slow through parts of Northern France. London to Paris could probably be done in less than 2 hours if all French bottlenecks were removed. The UK has done it's bit now (albeit it took 10 years...).

Also of note - the UK has more km of track where trains run at speeds of at least 100mph than any other EU country. Try catching 'regular' trains in France or Germany. You'll wish you were on BR! So I think we have the roots for an sensational railway system. WCML & ECML & GWR all run at 200km/h for now. MML plan in the long term is to run at 200km/h. And both Labour and the Tories have shown signs of willingness to look seriously at building HSR. Really, the future could be incredible! High Speed Britain.... in 2035...
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
rail, railways