daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM   #301
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirtaheri View Post
I've found that booking in advance and traveling at off peak hours, I can get a fantastically decent deal especially if I am traveling alone. Though I also qualify for a 16-25 railcard and have one so I get another discount.
Does that work for peak travel though?

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:44 PM   #302
amirtaheri

Likes (Received): 1

no, but I don't travel peak, plus I did condition my statement by saying traveling off-peak.
amirtaheri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:27 PM   #303
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirtaheri View Post
no, but I don't travel peak, plus I did condition my statement by saying traveling off-peak.
Sorry I missed that. But travelling off peak is so different to peak travel. Peak travel in the UK is so damn expensive. Many country's have a surcharge on peak travel but nothing like what the UK does. That said, yes, travel off peak can be very good value for money on longer distant runs. Short runs, like metro London are terribly expensive. A day pass even off peak from Hemel Hempstead to London is far more expensive than any other place I have been to. And before someone mentions that is because it's a day pass with full transport in central London. Yes, that is good value, but try to get it cheaper if you just want a return ticket and don't need to travel in London past Euston.

Tube travel off peak in London though is pretty fair, and so are the buses. Or at least was. These price hikes do make a difference.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #304
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
And get rid of that god-awful 'BUZZZZZZZZZZZ DOORS CLOSING!' noise (which I think iampuking is a fan of).
I am. It's way more harsher and iconic than London's door warnings.

What would you suggest as a replacal?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #305
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_SRW...eature=related You could always use the Vancouver Skytrain chime.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #306
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5439472.ece

Quote:
AN international rail interchange could be built at Heathrow to compensate for the environmental harm caused by a new third runway at the airport, the transport minister Lord Adonis has indicated.

In an interview with The Sunday Times, Adonis said the government was enthusiastic about proposals for a £4.5 billion station called the Heathrow hub, which could slash more than two hours off train journeys from some British cities to European destinations.
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #307
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Sorry I missed that. But travelling off peak is so different to peak travel. Peak travel in the UK is so damn expensive. Many country's have a surcharge on peak travel but nothing like what the UK does.
People who regularly travel at peak times though get season tickets which are cheaper. Those who don't travel regularly are encouraged to travel off-peak as capacity is limited at peak times.

My ticket costs £165 per month and I travel about 2,000 miles on it in a typical month which works out at 7.50 per day or 8.25 pence per mile. If I bought an annual ticket it would be a little bit cheaper still. The standard peaktime return fare on my route is £11.70 (off-peak is £10.90) for a 95 mile round trip so the saving by buying a season ticket is about 35%.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #308
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
People who regularly travel at peak times though get season tickets which are cheaper. Those who don't travel regularly are encouraged to travel off-peak as capacity is limited at peak times.

My ticket costs £165 per month and I travel about 2,000 miles on it in a typical month which works out at 7.50 per day or 8.25 pence per mile. If I bought an annual ticket it would be a little bit cheaper still. The standard peaktime return fare on my route is £11.70 (off-peak is £10.90) for a 95 mile round trip so the saving by buying a season ticket is about 35%.
Peak season tickets are still generally double the price for the same distances for peak season tickets in other developed countries though.

And as for being "encouraged" to travel off peak, that is simply ridiculous for the government or transport bodies to even suggest a thing. NO ONE travels on peak because they want to. Who would get up so early and travel in such packed transport at such high prices unless they had to. And people generally only have to when it's associated with work, or needing to be somewhere at a specific time.
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #309
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
The pacer is just a railbus ... most of the parts used to build them were standard bus parts (at least in theory) ... so it's as cheap as it could be feasibly constructed.
I HATE those 'trains'...even buses don't have those style seats anymore!

VILE!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #310
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Some of the ones I catched over there.

Think of it this way ... if there weren't those little buggers available probably the railways they run on would have been closed long ago.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #311
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1566

I have the 'pleasure' of catching a pacer to work each morning.

Negatives:
- Look **** ugly
- Slow
- Liable to break down
- Loud

Positives:
- Perfect for the route they run, where distances between stations are minimal
- Very wide and spacious inside
- Always run on time (in my case anyway)
- The heating inside is always welcome at 6.10am when its bloody freezing!

They're not that bad
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #312
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura4Matalan View Post

Negatives:
- Look **** ugly
- Slow
- Liable to break down
- Loud

Positives:

They're not that bad
Funnily enough sometimes when I go to Manchester for Uni from Blackpool in the early mornings I get the Blackpool South - Preston train and it is always pretty much on time and it's always nice to get sat by the heater and relax and dose in the morning.
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #313
sotavento

Quote:

Negatives:
- Look **** ugly
- Slow
- Liable to break down
- Loud

Positives:

They're not that bad
Buses on rails .. that's what they are.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
Old January 11th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #314
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

will you ever give it a rest!
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #315
Accura4Matalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
Funnily enough sometimes when I go to Manchester for Uni from Blackpool in the early mornings I get the Blackpool South - Preston train and it is always pretty much on time and it's always nice to get sat by the heater and relax and dose in the morning.
I catch that exact same train at 6.30 from Preston, but on its continuation to Colne so I can get off at Bamber Bridge. I've only ever known it to be late once, just before Xmas it was late by about 2 hours because of engineering works on the line.
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #316
Accura4Matalan

And heres that very service in all its glory
image hosted on flickr
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #317
Blackpool88

Quote:
I catch that exact same train at 6.30 from Preston, but on its continuation to Colne so I can get off at Bamber Bridge. I've only ever known it to be late once, just before Xmas it was late by about 2 hours because of engineering works on the line.
haha here's me arguing the toss about megacities with New Yorkers only to find someone who I've probably seen as I get off the good old Coln train. Small world. Of course that picture is tinged with sadness for me as that's where I have to leave the heater and haul ass over to catch the transpennine express!
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #318
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

The first time i got on one of those trains that i now know are called pacers i must have been about 16 and i couldnt believe they existed - its like getting on a bus! Since then i've had many journeys on them. One that stopped inexplicably for 30 mins in the boiling heat of summer. I had one that had a door that didnt really shut, but it was handy as we needed that nice breeze as it was boiling hot that day too. Then of course is the more grim times when there was no lights and it was getting dark we presumed they were broken. About 30 mins later they turned on. Looked like the bloody driver just hadnt turned them on. Oh and I had a great one at meadowhall station when none of the doors would open on it! People were banging to get in/out as it was a football day.... mayhem! Some of the journeys in yorkshire really do make you feel like you are going back in time. A bit like the Grand central trains.
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #319
Blackpool88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
The first time i got on one of those trains that i now know are called pacers i must have been about 16 and i couldnt believe they existed - its like getting on a bus! Since then i've had many journeys on them. One that stopped inexplicably for 30 mins in the boiling heat of summer. I had one that had a door that didnt really shut, but it was handy as we needed that nice breeze as it was boiling hot that day too. Then of course is the more grim times when there was no lights and it was getting dark we presumed they were broken. About 30 mins later they turned on. Looked like the bloody driver just hadnt turned them on. Oh and I had a great one at meadowhall station when none of the doors would open on it! People were banging to get in/out as it was a football day.... mayhem! Some of the journeys in yorkshire really do make you feel like you are going back in time. A bit like the Grand central trains.
True, one of my Spanish uni mates came to my house once and I had to take him on a pacer, it was rather embarrassing, it's like being in the developing world. I still like them though.
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #320
sotavento

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
will you ever give it a rest!
Man ... don't forget to take your medicine.
— Eça

Tags
rail, railways