daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #561
EC 120 Košičan

Likes (Received): 0

markydeedrop: those pictures are really fantastic. on the third image is displayed Pendolino?? Virgin Train does it? We also run Pendolino, but under considerable SC 500/512 otherwise IC not only nationally. United Kingdom has the most trains
EC 120 Košičan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #562
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

Do you mean the diesel train in this photo?

That's a British Rail Intercity 125 (Class 43 loco) -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterCity_125
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...Class_43_(HST)

Pendolinos are electric. Here's an example of a British (Virgin Trains) pendolino:

Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #563
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

A quick photo-tour of a newly built (well, "rebuilt" as there was a railway line here from the mid-19th century to about 1991) short freight-only branchline in Telford, Shropshire, England.

This is the Shrewsbury-Wolverhampton mainline at Wellington in Telford. The freight-only branch to Donnington turns off here.

The branchline is single track and 2 and a half miles long.

At the end of the line now (the line used to continue for a lot further, to Stafford, where it joined what is now the West Coast Mainline) is a tidy railfreight yard.

A road bridge runs over the tracks half-way down the yard (and is thus very handy for taking these photos and for train spotting!) and this is the view to the north, at the end of the branchline/rear of the yard.

Various diesel locos in use on the line, ranging from the 50 year old class 37 to the brand new class 66. Overall a very colourful (like the British railways in general) railway scene!

The full gallery (not mine I should say!!) with photos in better quality can be found here:

http://carlsgallery.fotopic.net/c1580013.html

(Includes construction photos too.)
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #564
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

More steam, in Shropshire on the Welsh Marches Line (Crewe-Shrewsbury-Newport).

Old May 16th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #565
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Final two photos for today (promise! ) -

Steam passing All Stretton, on the Welsh Marches Line in Shropshire

And a Wrexham & Shropshire train outside Shrewsbury, on the Shrewsbury to Chester Line, on its return from London Marylebone.

You've got to love the British network..
Old May 17th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #566
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Planner View Post
Two thirds of this thread is sotavento rambling and occasionally ranting about stuff few people care about and which shouldn't be clogging up what is an informative (and should also be an enjoyable) thread on British railways ("Pics, Info, News, Views" as it says in the thread title). In-depth ramblings about HSR should go somewhere else. Please.
Indeed ... I might as well stop feeding the flammers/trolls.

Quote:
Anyway, sotavento, you say you enjoyed the photos of steam trains running here in Great Britain. Fine - here are some more:

I think it's great having steam running on the mainlines!
Let's see If I can add some more here.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #567
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

great pictures this is wonderful the scenery the trains running thru, the depots, this is wonderful i miss that out of this thread was pictures and such.

also i am super happy about this electrification project its about time that britain steps up and be more like the japanese and Europe in a way Electrification is a must on a Railway system as big as the UK.

and Example the great Western Main Line is very suitable for electrfication because i noticed about this, one the track is grade seperate there is no crossovers with road traffic or anything, two its mostly straight which with electrification is very suitable with those speeds, and also there is alot of traffic with this line as well so Electrification is very needed for GWML.

as for the midland Mainline yes it does need electrification as well since the HST runs on this as well and i noticed more higher speeds now so yeah i guess this is what it needs electrification.

also the Chiltern Main Line needs to be electrified as well because if you think about it will bring faster and better services the diesels take time to stop and go and with electrifed it can stop and go much faster then what diesel can do and i noticed that this line is also suited to be electrified.

mainly all major British railway networks need electrification and its great that this is starting, great job britian keep it up.

Last edited by Songoten2554; May 18th, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #568
EC 120 Košičan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
great pictures this is wonderful the scenery the trains running thru, the depots, this is wonderful i miss that out of this thread was pictures and such.

also i am super happy about this electrification project its about time that britain steps up and be more like the japanese and Europe in a way Electrification is a must on a Railway system as big as the UK.

and Example the great Western Main Line is very suitable for electrfication because i noticed about this, one the track is grade seperate there is no crossovers with road traffic or anything, two its mostly straight which with electrification is very suitable with those speeds, and also there is alot of traffic with this line as well so Electrification is very needed for GWML.

as for the midland Mainline yes it does need electrification as well since the HST runs on this as well and i noticed more higher speeds now so yeah i guess this is what it needs electrification.

also the Chiltern Main Line needs to be electrified as well because if you think about it will bring faster and better services the diesels take time to stop and go and with electrifed it can stop and go much faster then what diesel can do and i noticed that this line is also suited to be electrified.

mainly all major British railway networks need electrification and its great that this is starting, great job britian keep it up.

Please, you is not a server or something similar, which would determine the train. For us to have and to do for rail enthusiasts. Advance thanks
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #569
EC 120 Košičan

I want to ask. You do not have a server or something similar, where you can find out train and train crossings? For us there and make it into the rail fans. Advance thanks
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #570
Mostly Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC 120 Košičan View Post
Please, you is not a server or something similar, which would determine the train. For us to have and to do for rail enthusiasts. Advance thanks
Quote:
I want to ask. You do not have a server or something similar, where you can find out train and train crossings? For us there and make it into the rail fans. Advance thanks

????????
Mostly Lurking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #571
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Lurking View Post
????????
I think he's trying to ask a question using an online translator, hence the garbled language. Perhaps it's an inquiry about on-line timetables for UK rail services?
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #572
sotavento

test
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça

Last edited by sotavento; May 19th, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #573
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20320

Quote:
Is this what you're looking for?

www.nationalrail.co.uk
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #574
sotavento

Test v2

Steam in Mallaig:

A class 67 in Inverness depot:

A HST comming at us from the middle of the jungle ???

(actually is comming from Hull)

Virgin Voyager

A class 156 dmu

An Eurostar

A GNER HST at Carstairs ... going from Carlisle to Edimburgh

An arriva pacer ...

The we get the ODD and strange image ... look at the underside of the platform.
— Eça
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #575
EC 120 Košičan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Is this what you're looking for?

www.nationalrail.co.uk

Yes, Thank you very much.

my website: www.opava-vlaky.blog.cz

www.zelpage.cz
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:32 PM   #576
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

i am not a server what the heck are people taking about?? seriously all i just said that its great that Britain is considering Electrfrication to there railways which is awesome in my book.

i am just regular old me and the way i type is just what i type i don't understand that people are hating me because of it?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM   #577
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
i am not a server what the heck are people taking about?? seriously all i just said that its great that Britain is considering Electrfrication to there railways which is awesome in my book.

i am just regular old me and the way i type is just what i type i don't understand that people are hating me because of it?
Calm down - no one has actually responded to your post. "EC 120 Košičan" merely used your post to quote to get a post into the thread.

So don't worry, no one here hates you!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:14 PM   #578
larven

Likes (Received): 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Planner View Post

Various diesel locos in use on the line, ranging from the 50 year old class 37 to the brand new class 66.
Great photos Manchester Planner. I must admit that the Class 66 doesn't get me too excited but it looks great here in the new DB livery. Much better than the drab EWS livery.
larven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #579
jayOOfoshO

Likes (Received): 115

Question: has the rail travel industry been liberalized/privatized in the UK?

If yes, how's that working out for you guys? Would you recommend other countries to do the same?
jayOOfoshO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #580
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 238

It has and in parts but STRICT monitoring needs to be used.

Virgin trains here offer in my opinion brilliant service, but East Midlands do not.

Both companies operate well though in their own ways, however the train fares are ridiculous.

Tags
rail, railways