daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM   #641
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Planner View Post
Erm, and? What would you rather have? The main lines ran under-capacity? All that's happening is that we're using the lines as much as possible. I don't see the problem. Clearly if we want to run more trains then the capacity will have to increase one way or another, and that's what is being discussed, with new dedicated high speed lines.

And no, the West Coast Mainline is not like a tram line!

Can I ask you - how much do you actually travel in Great Britain?
Wick Thurso Kile of Locklash Aberdeen Air Penzance Portsmouth Dover Bristol Cambridge Manchester York ... and a hell lot of other places.(*)

Half of them I was even filming the entire trip ... including ta couple of trips up and down the ECML/WCML ??? some 10.000km in intercity and regional trains over there.

And please "aknowledge" that you understand that the "tramline" comparison was only meant as a pun to descrive the intensity of the traffic in both the WCML and ECML.

The simple mentioning that in the 4 tracks mainlines there are still slow freight and regional/comuter trains running imediately puts one looking like this >

Emphasys on the "slow" word.

*) The remaining "unseen" routes are basically on East Angla and Wales (I had some scheduled trips there but "someone" forgot to book rooms in advance near the Ffestiniog so we ended up grounded 5 days in Londinium(wich we used to further explore the LUL and the souteast))
Did you knew that (until recently) for the price of a london-penzance night riviera return ticket you could TRAVEL THE ENTIRE UK by train for 15 days ??? even in the night riviera itself ... I did that many times (and cheers for RyanAir and Easyjet tickets at 25€).
Offtopic: I even "own" a ver overused and abused Oyster.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça

Last edited by sotavento; June 22nd, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:42 AM   #642
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

wow the ticket price to go on the Javelins are expensive

it reminds me when i hopped on the LIRR in New York Several years ago when a one way ticket to NYC was eight dollars and then when i had to go on peak it was 12 dollars wow.

i wonder how much is it in dollars because i think the javelins will be for the weathly not for the common folks like us.
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM   #643
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
wow the ticket price to go on the Javelins are expensive

it reminds me when i hopped on the LIRR in New York Several years ago when a one way ticket to NYC was eight dollars and then when i had to go on peak it was 12 dollars wow.

i wonder how much is it in dollars because i think the javelins will be for the weathly not for the common folks like us.
in todays money £48 = $79, fecking loads!
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM   #644
sotonsi

Don't forget that the standard ticket price at peak times is £40, also extortionate.

Bear in mind that for commuters, the supplement will be a pound or two a day and that if you live in East Kent and commute to London, you'd be able to afford those high prices, due to either being wealthy or making the most of the lower house prices and cost of living.

'common folk' wouldn't need to use it at peak times, or get paid enough to cope with the high prices (if not they'd live closer to London).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:24 PM   #645
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1564

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
Wick Thurso Kile of Locklash Aberdeen Air Penzance Portsmouth Dover Bristol Cambridge Manchester York ... and a hell lot of other places.(*)
Do you mean Ayr?
Accura4Matalan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #646
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura4Matalan View Post
Do you mean Ayr?
Iup ... sorri ... mi finger sliped on the kei.

By the way , the last time I went to dover (prior to StPancras reopening) the SE train was packed full of luggage and seemingly most people used the "cheaper" trains to go pick up the Eurostar at Ashford in their way to Paris.

Is it still happening nowadays ???
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #647
sotonsi

err, from Dover you had to go on SET to get to Ashford - there were no Javelin trains (and even when they are fully operational and not just Ebbsfleet/Ashford-St Pancras shuttles, the ticket price will be the same whether you use Javelins or classic trains).

SET, on the opening of Ebbsfleet and the, pretty much, closure of Ashford Eurostar services, offered free tickets from any SET station to Northfleet if you had a Eurostar ticket (Ashford being the hardest place to get to Northfleet - the others have a simple change in the Medway Towns).

I think that while Ebbsfleet is so much further away, if it's cheaper, it would only get more popular in East Kent when the Javelins happen. The problem is that the Ferry/Le Shuttle are only really useful if you have a car and don't want Paris/Lille/Brussels (that's quite a big market). For Paris, Lille and Brussels the train is better.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #648
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18172

Eurotunnel mulls bid for UK high-speed rail--FT

LONDON, June 25 (Reuters) - Cross-channel rail tunnel operator Eurotunnel , is considering a bid for Britain's only dedicated high-speed rail line, the Financial Times reported on Friday.

"I'm looking carefully at the High Speed 1 privatisation," Jacques Gounon, the executive chairman of Groupe Eurotunnel, told the FT.

The British government took over London & Continental Railways (LCR) -- owner of the High Speed 1 track, which carries trains at up to 186 mph (300 km per hour) between London and the Channel Tunnel -- earlier this month, the paper said.

The government was expected to break up LCR, which owns the 68 miles of track, a stake in the Eurostar service that runs on it and valuable development land nearby.

The paper said the possible Eurotunnel bid came as the company prepared to buy back the last in a series of financial instruments formed during the company's restructuring in 2007.

"If I want to have a simple, stable capital structure, it is because I don't want some commentators to argue if there is a High Speed 1 privatisation that my complex structure will be a legitimate reason for Eurotunnel not to tender," Gounon said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #649
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

High-speed Javelin arrives early

The UK's first high-speed commuter train has arrived in London one minute early, reaching London St Pancras 36 minutes after leaving Ashford, Kent.

The 140mph Japanese-built "Javelin" train was running on the Channel Tunnel rail link, known as High Speed 1.

The Hitachi Class 395 train left Ashford at 0648 BST with about 150 passengers and stopped at Ebbsfleet before arriving at 0724 BST.

The journey takes about 80 minutes on a conventional train.

Commodity broker Mike Hussey, who travelled from Ashford, said: "It's absolutely brilliant. It's the way travel should be."

Businessman Martin Brown, 52, also from Ashford, said: "It's a very good train.
"We should have had it years ago rather than travelling in cattle-class".

Monday's service was the start of a weekday only, limited "preview" of the new trains ahead of full service introduction on 13 December.

At present the javelins are running only as far as Ashford but by the end of the year they will be getting to Canterbury in 59 minutes, Folkestone in 57 minutes and Ramsgate in 80 minutes.

In 2012, the javelin trains will whisk spectators from St Pancras to the Olympics site at Stratford, east London, in seven minutes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8123798.stm
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM   #650
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

In a crazy twist the National Express franchise is to be nationalised, meaning state run trains flying down the east coast once more.
Old July 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #651
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18172

UK strips National Express of key rail line

LONDON, July 1 (Reuters) - The British government on Wednesday stripped rail operator National Express of its key East Coast service and warned the takeover target it faced losing further franchises.

Transport Minister Lord Adonis said he would set up a public body to run the loss-making London-Edinburgh route famed for its Flying Scotsman express trains and questioned the future of National Express as a rail operator.

The move - accompanied by the announcement of the resignation of Chief Executive Richard Bowker - came as National Express said funds set aside to cover losses on the line would run out later this year, with no plans to top them up.

In a deal negotiated by Bowker, National Express agreed in 2007 to pay a hefty 1.4 billion pounds for an eight-year franchise but was quickly hit by recession and stalled passenger growth.

Shares in National Express, which runs train and bus services in Britain, North America and Spain and which rejected a takeover bid from rival FirstGroup on Monday, were 8.2 percent lower at 284 pence by 1541 GMT.

The handover will mark the second time in three years a company operating the East Coast service has had to give up the franchise, after the demise of GNER in 2007.

"I think given the track record that National Express has demonstrated today, they'll have some difficulty in getting into this business again," Adonis said.

He added that he would look at whether the company could also lose its East Anglia London commuter network, although the group insisted it could not.

According to a BBC report, National Express had offered to pay more than 100 million pounds to terminate the East Coast franchise on a consensual basis.

Talking to BBC radio, Adonis declined comment, calling the figures "purely speculative".

Howard Wheeldon, senior strategist at BGC Partners, said the move showed that British railways should all be nationalised.

"We appear to be left with little alternative but to view that rail privatisation has failed and that the sooner it is over the better," he said.

IN PLAY

Douglas McNeill, transport analyst at Astaire stockbrokers, said the removal of the franchise made a bid for National Express less likely -- but it could sell separate parts.

"National Express is certainly in play. It lacks a CEO and has said it is considering all options including disposals," he said.

Bowker is taking a new job heading up planned railways in the United Arab Emirates.

National Express has also been struggling with a billion pound debt pile, but distanced its group finances from those of the East Coast mainline.

"The group itself has reduced its debt and does not have 'financial problems'," it said in a statement. Analysts expect it to launch a rights issue later this year, something the company has not ruled out.

National Express said the performance of the East Coast route would hit first-half profit, and the franchise would make a loss of 20 million pounds.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #652
Mostly Lurking

Likes (Received): 0

The first two Class 70 locomotives for Freightliner are ready for testing

No, not a joke.

Mostly Lurking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #653
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

I can't yet decide whether I like them or detest them. I guess I'll have to wait until I see them "in the flesh". They're quite different to what we're used to in Britain!
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #654
DHLawrence

Likes (Received): 14

It looks like something that you'd be more likely to find rusting away in a rail yard in an ex-Soviet country...
DHLawrence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #655
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

It will add a bit more interest to the railway scene I suppose.
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #656
larven

Likes (Received): 2999

That looks hideous!
larven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #657
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

So thats what happens when Americans design your train!
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #658
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Europe's ugliest locomotive - ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
So thats what happens when Americans design your train!

Exactly! And I don't agree with you in an anti-American way, as I'm not anti anything.

However, one thing is quite clear. Neither the designers as GM or GE have taken any notice at all of the past and present European locomtive designs, and the reason why is a mystery.

When you think in the 1960s, Brush came up with the beautiful, 4000hp Kestral, it beggers belief that GM came up with the class 59, forerunner of the 66.

But now we have GE with the class 70! This makes the class 66 look like a horny supermodel.

Without a doubt, the class 70 is the most hideous looking locomotive to EVER run in Britain, and perhaps Europe. I don't think even the former Soviet bloc would have been able to come up with something so upsetting.

If it were a military locomotive, designed to withstand IEDs, then I could forgive the designers. But the class 70 is what Freightliner will want to show off to it's current and future customers! Imagine the embarrassment for the PR girls/boys...
TedStriker está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #659
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Beautiful, powerful Kestrel

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...sh_Rail_HS4000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_HS4000
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #660
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

I gather that UK railfans give locomotives nicknames, with the class 66 being the 'sheds'.

Perhaps the class 70s become known as the 'fuglys'.

Please someone discover the designer at GE of the class 70 and interview him...

Tags
rail, railways