daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #721
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Lurking View Post
I don't think anybody said anything different.

Virgin drivers have now been instructed to run with the rear pan up on Pendolinos instead of the front.
any idea why this makes a difference?
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #722
Mostly Lurking

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by future.architect View Post
any idea why this makes a difference?
From the bulletin:

Quote:
"Use of the rear pantograph will help reduce the likelihood of
carbon head damage, minimise the amount of carbon deposits on the
roof areas of the train and provide the option of using the front
pantograph following operational incidents where the rear one has
been damaged by an obstruction or fault on the OHLE."
Mostly Lurking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #723
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

What do people think of the Desiros?

Does anyone else think the suspension is stupidly soft? I always struggle to stand on em, much more than any other train!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #724
Mostly Lurking

Solid trains, work horses.

With 385 units and 2000 carriages in the UK it is kinda tough luck if you don't like them.
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #725
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Lurking View Post
Solid trains, work horses.

With 385 units and 2000 carriages in the UK it is kinda tough luck if you don't like them.
lol I've only even been on the 185s and 444s. and the 444 was only once from Waterloo

I <3 London
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #726
southwestforests

Do forgive me if I missed this in previous pages and am stating something already stated.

As far as whether pantographs are bidirectional - yes, even the single arm, or Faiveley type - the geometry works either way.

Some types of pole and bow collectors on trams and interurbans are/were not.

There are also electric locomotives, especially on the continent, which have multiple pantographs for running through under different construction styles and voltages of catenary.
southwestforests no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #727
Mostly Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Do forgive me if I missed this in previous pages and am stating something already stated.

As far as whether pantographs are bidirectional - yes, even the single arm, or Faiveley type - the geometry works either way.

Some types of pole and bow collectors on trams and interurbans are/were not.

There are also electric locomotives, especially on the continent, which have multiple pantographs for running through under different construction styles and voltages of catenary.
Indeed - for example, each Eurostar power car has two pantographs for use with different systems
Old December 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #728
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Channel Five's You Tube channel.

Brits Who Made the Modern World series, about the tilting train APT project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Uy8o21JBM
makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #729
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

Quote:
High-speed rail plans to be submitted to government

The line would be the UK's second high-speed train link
A major new station in the heart of London will be part of plans for a north-south high-speed rail line to be submitted to the government this week.

The first stage of the 250mph new line - from London to the West Midlands - could open by 2025.

The station would cater for up to 18 trains and 20,000 passengers an hour.

The proposal is in a report by the High Speed Two (HS2) company which has been set up by ministers to identify a viable route for the new line.

HS2 will put forward options for possible connections to Heathrow Airport and to the Channel Tunnel rail link, known as High Speed One (HS1).

The company says it has looked at 35 potential sites for a new station in London, but has plumped for one right in the heart of the capital.

There will be detailed proposals for the route of the line between London and the West Midlands - accurate to within 18 inches - and more general plans for its extension beyond that to Scotland.

A range of costs will be included for construction of the line which could start by 2017.

HS2 chief executive Alison Munro said said it was asked to look at linking the line with the cross-London Crosstrail project, the Great Western main line and Heathrow.

"The report will set out a case for various options including a possible link with HS1," she said.

"The proposals will include running trains from the HS2 on to the West Coast Main Line.

"This will not be a transport project in isolation. The final report will look at how the line will help housing and regional economic development. There will be significant levels of detail."

If the government decides to go ahead with high-speed rail it will publish a White Paper by next April.

The document would set out details such as route proposals, timescales and associated financial, economic and environmental assessments.

Birmingham: 45mins, down from 1h 22mins
Liverpool: 1hr 23mins, down from 2hrs 8mins
Manchester: 1hr 6mins, down from 2hrs 7mins
Edinburgh: 2hrs 9mins, down from 4hrs 23mins
Glasgow: 2hrs 16mins, down from 4hrs 10 mins

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8432051.stm
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #730
makita09

Vid that shows loads of different trains, as well as having really cheezy emo punk music.

Old August 1st, 2010, 09:26 AM   #731
Maarten Otto

Likes (Received): 24

Goodbey Hitachi Super Express Train

Now that Sir Fosters "Value for money" review has clearly indicated the IEP program is financially not viable in the form of the Hitachi SET, what do you think will be the best alternative to replace the ageing Class 43 HST fleet?

Bear in mind Electrification of the London to Wales and Western (Great Western Mainline) might Be electrified in the comming decade. As will the Midland Mainline.

Personally I think a "Voyager" like train would be the best alternative as these sets can be equiped with a OHLE trailer, giving a cheap to develope Bi-mode train which can be retrofitted to an all electric train once all mainline routes are electrified. Furthermore the program would allow the current class 220/221/222 fleet to be adapted to the same train type at relative low cost.
Maarten Otto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 02:30 PM   #732
makita09

As I have posted elsewhere, I think the best option is to cascade the MML class 222s to the long distance Great Western services as it will be a long while before it is electrified south west of Bristol.

Then a normal electric train can be purchased for both the GWML electrified sections, the MML and the ECML. With the IEP dead in the water an off-the-shelf design can be sought, which should lower costs significantly, ironic as the entire point of IEP was to save costs. A disappointingly typical example of politicians having no clue about how to run a business and achieving the opposite of what they set out to.

Life extension of the HSTs was not properly considered by the DfT when developing the IEP concept, but in fairness this was started before they also did a u-turn on electrification. Since electrification was proposed this changes the game on the IEP project.

HSTs won't go on forever, but various people in the industry think that they can be extended to 2018, maybe 2020. Thats enough time to get significant electrification done, making available the options on electric stock.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:37 PM   #733
WatcherZero

It didnt though did it, It found the vehicles were good value for money but the procurement process and management of it had been terrible.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:46 PM   #734
makita09

It depends on how you view the cost of the vehicle. Yes Hitachi provided an extrememly competitive proposition for the brief, top marks to them and I hope they have a significant future in UK railways. BUT, was the brief itself at fault and overcomplicated? IMO yes. So, in one respect its value for money, but much of that value is not actually needed because there is a more sensible way of approaching the entire thing, therefore it isn't actually value for money.

In short, a fiasco.
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #735
makita09

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
It didnt though did it, It found the vehicles were good value for money but the procurement process and management of it had been terrible.
I've had a chance to read through the report and the annex. The caveat that goes with the report's confirmation of the value-for-money is that they cannot fully comprehend the costs or the benefits of various changes to the program since the invitation to tender. They also point out that various costs are omitted from the business case, such as running pairs of train crews when running services formed of pairs of short-formed IEP units.

They also point out that alternatives have not been fully appraised or costed, therefore the base case comparison is not really valid.

Its quite a funny report due to how scathing it is of the management of the entire process.
Old August 5th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #736
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten Otto View Post

Personally I think a "Voyager" like train would be the best alternative as these sets can be equiped with a OHLE trailer, giving a cheap to develope Bi-mode train which can be retrofitted to an all electric train once all mainline routes are electrified. Furthermore the program would allow the current class 220/221/222 fleet to be adapted to the same train type at relative low cost.
I hope that don't happen. The Voyagers are too short and noisy for a long distance trip. I don't get why they can't just make some kind of 'HST2' similar design but just updated for the 2010/20s or when ever they come out

I <3 London
Old August 6th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #737
makita09

Primarily because the engineers aren't in charge. The HST was developed on the fly on the quick by BR engineers that needed a fast solution, whilst an IEP-equivalent fiasco was being developed in the form of the APT. (Actually thats not fair, the APT was a much better run project and at least it got off the ground).

The BR engineers came up with their own solution that was so simple and succinct that it was a success because of it. Take MkIII coaching stock that had already been developed for the WCML class86/87 services and was being introduced. They had proven diesel technology to take 8 coaches to 100mph, as 125mph requires approx double the power, double the number of normal powered diesel locos by putting one at each end. Make a cheap slanted nose for the locos and bobs your uncle.

Simplicity and total lack of political meddling is why the HSTs were so successful. The reason why this can't be repeated at the moment is the political landscape at the present time. An off-the shelf loco+coaching stock could be bought and rolling on our tracks in revenue service in 2 years otherwise.
Old August 6th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #738
simcard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Typical Britain, a good train could have been acquired, but thanks to burecracy and management that will not happen, instead a crap train will be used adding to the misery and costs
simcard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #739
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

It really should be very simple to introduce a standard electric train and to have a rolling programme of electrification, with the newer diesels bing cascaded to the diesel lines.
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #740
RichW1
In Pursuit Of The Future

My only disappointment 15 years from now will be the likely fact that the ECML was never really fully electrified and so 125mph even with ERTMS won't be beaten unless all operators adopted new trains that will be hauled off the electrified sections and I can't see that happening! Sad though, the ECML had it all to play for at one stage.

There's just simply no way you can run a higher speed service with destinations to Hull, Bradford, Aberdeen, Sunderland, Inverness, Lincoln all running off 125mph diesels unless someone tells me it's economically viable to to use new diesels at 137/140 mph but I doubt it.

Shame the railwayment aren't still in charge - despite the cuts in the 80's and 90's that was the golden era for the rail network post world war 2 - HST's were running overspeed at 135mph much more regularly than I thought apparently, as were 91's, London - Edinburgh timetabled at 4hours 3 mins for 91's and not far off for HST's and without limiters on like now and I remember in 1991 I went to York and it was a non-stop service on an HST and it achieved the 188.5 miles in 1hour41 mins!

Today is pathetic in comparison with the above even though the trains are the same!
RichW1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
rail, railways