daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #781
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Class 450 Desiro EMU (Siemens). It seems to have a good reputation because pretty much everyone seems happy with them. Nothing special but just simple, reliable and modern suburban or short distance inter-city trains used the world over from London to Bangkok and beyond

Single trainset has 4 coaches but it can connect 2 or even 3 sets so making it a 12 coach train for busy times
image hosted on flickr

IMG_1675 by jo.sau, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1674 by jo.sau, on Flickr
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #782
Pansori
planquadrat

Class 456 EMU, made in early 90's and used by Southern Trains.
image hosted on flickr

IMG_1672 by jo.sau, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1671 by jo.sau, on Flickr
Class 455
image hosted on flickr

IMG_1666 by jo.sau, on Flickr

Clapham Junction
image hosted on flickr

IMG_1662 by jo.sau, on Flickr

Last edited by Pansori; December 12th, 2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old December 12th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #783
Pansori
planquadrat

Depot area with Class 450 Siemens Desiro

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1658 by jo.sau, on Flickr

Class 444 and 450 (looking identical from the front but with minor differences from the sides)
image hosted on flickr

IMG_1656 by jo.sau, on Flickr

Class 458 Juniper

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1655 by jo.sau, on Flickr

Class 455
image hosted on flickr

IMG_1652 by jo.sau, on Flickr

Class 378 Capitalstar. New air-conditioned suburban trainsets used by London Overground.
image hosted on flickr

IMG_1649 by jo.sau, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1645 by jo.sau, on Flickr

View from Clapham Junction towards Vauxhall and London Waterloo
image hosted on flickr

IMG_1639 by jo.sau, on Flickr
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #784
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post

Class 458 Juniper EMU (Alstom). They had some major issues with reliability a few years back. Not sure how they are doing now
Much better. SWT completely changed the way it did its maintenance, bringing a lot of outsourced stuff back in-house, such as full motor overhaul. They also took some advice from Selhurst depot where they maintain the other Junipers, the class 460 gatwick express. SWT now apparently have a much better working relationship with Alstom, which had a few issues though unsure as to whose fault that was.
makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #785
Pansori
planquadrat

Thanks for the info. Too bad I have never had a chance to ride one myself.
Old January 6th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #786
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

This new bridge forms part of the Reading station re-modelling
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #787
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

I love the class 455s. Not very new or pretty but they are of the last older styles remaining. All MK3 based like the Sprinters. But some have a 507/8 added in the middle?

I <3 London
poshbakerloo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #788
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:14 AM   #789
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Yessssssss!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/tees/hi/...00/9410517.stm
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM   #790
makita09

Great news. Typically Bob Crow and the RMT talking crap though

Quote:
Bob Crow, general secretary of the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers, said: "If Japan can manage to ensure that the high-speed fleet that operates on its own railways are manufactured entirely at home, there is no earthly reason why Britain cannot either."
Yeah, we know Bob. We can. Obviously we don't want to. Duh.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #791
Sarepava

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post

Thanks for the info. Too bad I have never had a chance to ride one myself.
I'm not sure you really want to. I had to travel on these at least once a week for the last four years and there were almost always dirty inside, with hard filth-collecting floors and 3+2 seating which made for a very cramped aisle. Also, the door alarms (when they finally opened after repeated punching at the button) were incredibly loud both inside and out. In fact the doors are narrower than almost any other type of UK train, especially considering that these units work the Reading line which has fairly frequent stops and gets very overcrowded at peak hours. Although reliability has improved, they still break down from time to time, notably the air conditioning.
Sarepava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #792
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2447

Watching the match on television, and the commentator mentioned that Chelsea fans took the 'fast' train up to Blackpool for the game. Which train is this, how fast does it get there, how much does it cost, etc?
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #793
makita09

It would be a special put on specifically for the fans. Happens quite regularly, there's a large charter market in the UK.
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #794
Fatfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by makita09 View Post
It would be a special put on specifically for the fans. Happens quite regularly, there's a large charter market in the UK.
News to me. I follow Sunderland all over and the last charter train we had (I wasn't on it) that I can remember was for the FA Cup Final in 1992.

The commentator probably meant an express train. A quick check on National Rail reveals that it only takes 2h 51m, with a change at Preston, from Euston to Blackpool North.
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #795
makita09

For example

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/Latest...272612,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea FC
TRAIN TO SUNDERLAND CANCELLED
Posted on: Fri 21 Jan 2011
The train to Sunderland that would have been heavily subsidised by the club has been cancelled due to lack of demand.

The train had been arranged to help Chelsea fans head north when we travel to the Stadium of Light on Tuesday 1 February for the Barclays Premier League match.

Anyone who has already booked a ticket through Thomas Cook will receive a full refund.
Or http://www.rail-bluecharters.co.uk/c...y_footie_train

Quote:
Barrow AFC to Wembley: Football trains
On Saturday, 8th May 2010, Rail-Blue Charters provided a direct charter train for 500 football supporters from Barrow AFC to Wembley Stadium for the FA Trophy Final against Stevenage. Barrow AFC won.

Both the outbound and return journey ran faultlessly and took around 6 hours each way.
or

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...lash_1_2237386

Quote:
Train operator East Coast is to run a special football charter train to help Leeds United fans follow their team to London for their FA Cup clash with Spurs.

The special football charter service will operate from Leeds to London King's Cross on the morning of Saturday, 23 January, when United take on Tottenham Hotspur in the match at the White Hart Lane stadium.

East Coast commercial director Peter Williams said: "The football charter train will help many of Leeds' dedicated and loyal supporters get down to London to watch this important match.

"The train will be an additional service to the 32 weekday and 30 weekend services East Coast operate directly between Leeds and London King's Cross."

The football charter train will run from Leeds to London, departing Leeds at 11.40 on Saturday 23 January, and returning from King's Cross at 20.55 to bring fans home on the same day.

The train will also call at Wakefield Westgate in both directions, departing at 11.53 on the outward leg and 22.50 on the return journey.

The football charter train offers an alternative to fans travelling down to the capital via road transport.

Not only does the train offer a comfortable and relaxing trip to central London but it also avoids the restrictions and roadworks taking place on the A406 North Circular which is likely to affect those making the trip by car or bus to the match.

Special tickets for the charter service have been produced and are available via Leeds United's ticket service telephone number, 0871 334 1992. Tickets for fans travelling in Standard accommodate cost 50 and 40 for concessions, with a limited number of First Class tickets available from 60 - 70.

The football charter train will be operating as a 'dry train'. Under this policy, supporters are not permitted to take alcohol on board the train, and no alcohol will be sold on the train. Fans trying to board the train with alcohol may have it confiscated by the British Transport Police

Last edited by makita09; March 9th, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #796
Fatfield

They're the exception not the rule.

Leeds have a known hooligan problem so it would be prudent for the authorities to keep as many of them together as possible. Chelsea fans were heading to a game that they had no chance of returning from under public transport. Even then it was cancelled due to lack of interest. I also can't find any reference to a charter train to Blackpool on that site. Perhaps you can enlighten me? And Barrow were going to Wembley.

They're nowhere near as regular as you would like to think.
Old March 10th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #797
makita09

As I'd like to think?

Slipperydog posted something, going on what he said in it I assumed it was a charter. You gave the impression charters don't exist for footbvall.

Why is everyone arguing with things I haven't said FFS?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM   #798
makita09

I'm imagining this too

http://www.rharchive.info/Issue260HIGH.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railway Herald Issue 260
Virgin Trains is working with Bolton Wanderers, Stoke City, Manchester City and Manchester United, the football clubs that are involved in the FA Cup semi finals over the weekend of 16th/17th April to ensure thousands of supporters can travel to and from London. VT has already confirmed it is running five charter trains.
Those not travelling by charter services will still be able to travel by service train to both matches and extra trains are planned from Euston after the matches on Saturday and Sunday. However, with each Class 390 capable of carrying a maximum of 439 seated passengers, but with a crowd of around 80,000 expected for both matches, supporters are being encouraged to make use of charter services organised through their respective clubs!
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:29 PM   #799
Fatfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by makita09 View Post

They're one-offs man. Get over it.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:57 PM   #800
makita09

So they're not 'specials' or 'charters', they are 'one-offs', which means........exactly the same thing.

Stop arguing with nothing.

Tags
rail, railways