daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:22 AM   #901
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7514

Quote:
Revised bid for new rail stations at Kirkstall & Apperley Bridge approved

A revised, £17.2m package of local rail improvements that would see two new rail stations built at Kirkstall Forge and Apperley Bridge was approved by the West Yorkshire Integrated Transport Authority Executive Board today.

Planned to provide better connections between Bradford and Leeds and to relieve congestion on the busy commuter routes between the two cities, the Rail Growth Package was originally submitted in November 2009.

As part of the new Government’s Comprehensive Spending Review, Metro was asked to identify potential savings in the scheme and submit this revised Best and Final Funding Bid Offer for consideration by the Department for Transport in the autumn.

CEG, the company behind the Kirkstall Forge development has already earmarked a £5.5m contribution to the scheme and this will be complemented by £1.3m of the proceeds from Metro’s recent sale of rolling stock and £1/4m through the Local Transport Plan. The remaining £10m would come from the DfT.

“Developing these new stations with over 400 parking spaces, at Kirkstall and Apperley Bridge will provide passengers with quick and convenient links to the major employment centres in Leeds and Bradford and help take thousands of commuter journeys off local roads,” said Metro Chairman Cllr James Lewis.

“These new stations, along with the new Leeds Station Southern Entrance and the additional trains arriving on electrified routes from December 2011 represent part of Metro’s and its partners’ efforts to create a local railway network that can meet the growing demands being placed today.”

“These developments and others within the Local Transport Plan will also ensure that when High Speed Rail arrives, its benefits are felt across West Yorkshire and the Leeds City Region,” he added.
http://www.rail.co/2011/07/29/revise...idge-approved/

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:44 PM   #902
somersetchris

Likes (Received): 3

Isle of Man | Railways

I could not see a thread for the Isle of Man, so I thought I should start one.

Here is a collection of photos I took on a recent trip there

http://www.flickr.com/photos/somerse...7627210952063/

Thanks for looking, comments are welcome
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:13 PM   #903
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8819

Heya mate, since the Isle of Man is (effectively) a part of the UK as a self-governing entity, I think it is prudent to merge this with the UK thread otherwise we'll have a situation where we have seperate threads for countries like Japan with railways being divided across the different islands.

Thanks for the pictures though. I was always interested in Manx culture and the language when I was living in the UK so to have a series of photos of the railways there is very interesting to me.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM   #904
somersetchris

Likes (Received): 3

I was wondering if to include them in the UK thread, but as the railways are so different I thought of doing their own thread. But I understand why you moved them. Cheers for the compliments
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:41 AM   #905
PortoNuts

Quote:
Britain’s newest train unveiled in Birmingham

A £93m investment in 27 brand new class 172 diesel trains entering service in September will bring a range of benefits to London Midland customers on the Snow Hill line running from Worcester to Leamington Spa and Stratford-Upon-Avon.

The new trains, which replace the 25 year old class 150 diesel fleet currently in service on the line, have a number of state of the art features, including air conditioning, a wheelchair accessible toilet and more comfortable spacious seating.

A wider door area will enable customers to get on and off the train more quickly. There is also a larger dedicated area for wheelchair users, which will make journeys easier for disabled passengers.Customers will be kept up to date with the latest journey information, through electronic information screens inside the train, as well as automated audio announcements. The train is also fitted with CCTV cameras both inside and outside.

The train has been designed in such a way as to reduce noise, so customers will enjoy a quieter environment.

Mike Hodson, Managing Director of London Midland, said: “We are looking forward to bringing these new trains to our customers on this extremely popular route. We are anticipating that passenger numbers will further increase next year. These new trains will provide a much more pleasant travel environment for our customers.”

Geoff Inskip, Chief Executive of Centro, the region’s transport authority, said: “More people are turning to local rail year on year, especially for the daily commute and it’s important that they get quality services.” These new trains should bring improved comfort for passengers so their introduction is to be welcomed.”
http://www.rail.co/2011/08/02/britai...in-birmingham/
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:14 PM   #906
PortoNuts

Old August 5th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #907
PortoNuts

Quote:
UK rail punctuality at 92.2% for July 2011

Punctuality on the railways reached 92.2% during July, according to monthly performance data released today by Network Rail.

The data for Britain’s train services covers period four of the year – from 26 June 2011 to 23 July 2011. This compares to 92.6% for the same period last year. The moving annual average is now at 90.7%.

The most punctual train operators in July were London Overground and Merseyrail, who both ran 96.1% of their services on time.

For the same period last year, London Overground scored 94.1% and Merseyrail, 96.2%.

The least punctual rail operator was East Coast, with only 81.7% of trains running on time. This was due to ‘external factors’ including the lightning strike at Welwyn Garden City, a line-side fire near Welwyn, cable theft and fatalities.

Other operators who performed well include c2c at 95.2% and Arriva Trains Wales who ran 95.5% of their services on time.
http://www.rail.co/2011/08/04/uk-rai...for-july-2011/
Old August 12th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #908
PortoNuts

Quote:
Passengers benefit from early arrival of NXEA’s new Class 379 trains

All 30 of National Express East Anglia’s new Class 379 trains are now in service ahead of schedule, following the delivery of the last two of the trains from Bombardier Transportation.

The announcement is excellent news for passengers on NXEA’s West Anglia routes, with many services operated by the new trains and a number of other enhancements on course to be delivered later in the year.

The fleet of 120 additional carriages is set to enable the provision of 11,000 more seats a day for commuters from December 2011, when major timetable improvements facilitated by the launch of the new trains will enable more capacity to be introduced all along the West Anglia route.

This involves destinations including Cambridge, Bishops Stortford, Harlow, Hertford East, Cheshunt and Enfield (as trains freed up by the arrival of the new trains are used to launch a new timetable and longer trains).

Other service improvements will include more direct trains to Stratford and some faster services to and from Cambridge. The 30 four-carriage Class 379s are being used on Stansted Express services between London and Stansted Airport and some London to Cambridge services.

The new trains are among the first vehicles to be delivered from the additional 2,100 extra carriages the Government is introducing to the UK’s rail network by 2019.

http://www.rail.co/2011/08/12/passen...ss-379-trains/
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #909
BoyamIjealous

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
And to get there from Portishead, drive down a chronically overcrowded road parallel to a closed railway, along the only main road between a town of near 20,000 people and the city where they work, then from a park and ride, finish the journey by a guided bus to somewhere 10 minutes walk away. That's the vision from own leaders.

Reopen the Portishead line at the same time.
BoyamIjealous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #910
BoyamIjealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
They could reduce their carbon footprint even more if they only use nuclear produced electricity.

Seriously, though, this had to come, given the price of electricity these days. It's a great idea, and a step in an obvious direction. Railways never bought diesel or coal on an estimated usage basis, and electricity was probably done that way because when electricity was cheap, it didn't matter. Regenerative braking will add a bit, too. Expect more energy saving ideas.
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #911
BoyamIjealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCleverly View Post
Just seen this on the BBC news channel, but a 'Deltic' diesel engine will come back onto the UK's Railways to haul freight due to lack of other stock.

News Link (and video)
Brilliant! this is real preservation. I know a man with a DC3 if British Airways has similar problems.
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #912
PortoNuts

Quote:
Bombardier delivers final Class 379 for Stansted Express

Bombardier has delivered its final Class 379 Electrostar to National Express East Anglia. On Tuesday 9 August 2011, National Express accepted the last of the 30 Electrostar trains for operation on the Stansted Express and Cambridge Liverpool Street Routes.

Colin S.Walton, Chairman, Bombardier Transportation UK said: “Our Derby workforce should be congratulated for the on time delivery of these superb trains. Our customer and the travelling public have a high quality, British built product that they can be proud of.

“Thanks to the National Express team for their continued support and we look forward to the continued partnership and the many challenges ahead.”

John Ratcliffe, Engineering Director, National Express added: “We are thrilled with these new trains. On the 10 August we were able to introduce 27 of the 30 units into passenger service, 10 days before we were required to by the Department for Transport.

“This is a fantastic achievement and we would like to thank the Bombardier team for the hardwork and dedication in making this happen.”
http://www.rail.co/2011/08/15/bombar...nsted-express/
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #913
greentrainman

Likes (Received): 0

Class 379 delivered and running ahead of schedule. Just shows how good Bombardier are at building trains. So why do the Government seem determined to give the next big order to Siemens in Germany and put 1400 skilled British workers out of a job? I am not one of them, so I have no vested interest, but I do care about building our trains in our country, like the French, Germans, Italians, Spanish, etc etc do in theirs, in spite of the ridiculous European rules which were brought in for everyone to ignore except us! Come on Bombardier, love your Electrostars!
greentrainman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #914
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrainman View Post
Class 379 delivered and running ahead of schedule. Just shows how good Bombardier are at building trains. So why do the Government seem determined to give the next big order to Siemens in Germany and put 1400 skilled British workers out of a job? I am not one of them, so I have no vested interest, but I do care about building our trains in our country, like the French, Germans, Italians, Spanish, etc etc do in theirs, in spite of the ridiculous European rules which were brought in for everyone to ignore except us! Come on Bombardier, love your Electrostars!
Well, the tender committee decided that Siemens must have produced the better all-round package for the least cost.
Eurostar also bought Siemans and Alsthom and some French politicians got upset over it. It just happens, I guess.
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #915
Dobbo

Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrainman View Post
The major problems seem to be:

1 - Seimens cannot currently produce a lightweight bogie, therefore cannot guarantee thay can produce what they will contract to produce. Bombardier can.

2 - The UK government have not considered socio-economic impacts of awarding the contract elsewhere.

3 - Seimens has a higher credit rating than Bombardier, meaning it has lower finance costs.

4 - David Cameron is mates with the board of Seimens.

5 - Seimens have been at the centre of a global corruption scandal.

The only advantage Seimens has is that in the first instance, their trains are cheaper. The current government are blaming the last government for a flawed tender process (as well as european procurement rules), whereas the last government are saying that if they wanted to they could get out of the award to Seimens.

It is a huge mess, and could spell disaster for a large part of the UK. I bet that Bombardier will end up getting the work but it is another example of the problems that the UK faces when it is run by second teir personel.
Dobbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #916
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
it is another example of the problems that the UK faces when it is run by second teir personel.
You mean the kind of people who can't spell proper?
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #917
Mackem

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
The major problems seem to be:

1 - Seimens cannot currently produce a lightweight bogie, therefore cannot guarantee thay can produce what they will contract to produce. Bombardier can.

2 - The UK government have not considered socio-economic impacts of awarding the contract elsewhere.

3 - Seimens has a higher credit rating than Bombardier, meaning it has lower finance costs.

4 - David Cameron is mates with the board of Seimens.

5 - Seimens have been at the centre of a global corruption scandal.

The only advantage Seimens has is that in the first instance, their trains are cheaper. The current government are blaming the last government for a flawed tender process (as well as european procurement rules), whereas the last government are saying that if they wanted to they could get out of the award to Seimens.

It is a huge mess, and could spell disaster for a large part of the UK. I bet that Bombardier will end up getting the work but it is another example of the problems that the UK faces when it is run by second teir personel.
Some sweeping statements there. Siemens won on all measures from what I understand, the train was lighter, more efficient and financing costs cheaper. Bogies may well be sourced from Bombardier as they are major sub contractors to Siemens already, hence the 1.3 billion Euro contract they've just received. Bombardier have no interest in where they build their trains otherwise they would be constructing the new Metrolink trams in Derby instead of East Germany.

There is a constant complaint that British railways are more expensive to run and that rolling stock is too expensive. We either allow competition or we pay through the nose for UK sourced Bombardier products (which is what they're trying to achieve with all the whinging).

As for corruption, a cheap shot, basically Siemens got caught, but don't try to tell me that all its' competitors are whiter than white.
Mackem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #918
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

I also believe it's a bit late for the British to begin expressing concerns about railway rolling stock manufacturing in the UK; 'the horse has already bolted', so to speak, long, long ago in fact.

I think it's amazing that the Derby plant has got this far, and as Mackem says, it's not as if Bombardier has some kind of UK-freindly, emotional policy in place to preserve operations there, regardless of the current 'controversy surrounding the Thameslink order.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #919
Dobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
You mean the kind of people who can't spell proper?
Haha!

Spotted once posted...
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #920
Dobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post
Some sweeping statements there. Siemens won on all measures from what I understand, the train was lighter, more efficient and financing costs cheaper. Bogies may well be sourced from Bombardier as they are major sub contractors to Siemens already, hence the 1.3 billion Euro contract they've just received. Bombardier have no interest in where they build their trains otherwise they would be constructing the new Metrolink trams in Derby instead of East Germany.

There is a constant complaint that British railways are more expensive to run and that rolling stock is too expensive. We either allow competition or we pay through the nose for UK sourced Bombardier products (which is what they're trying to achieve with all the whinging).

As for corruption, a cheap shot, basically Siemens got caught, but don't try to tell me that all its' competitors are whiter than white.
I gather that the train was lighter (and more efficient) based on assumptions that a bogie that Siemens are yet to develop fully (i.e. build and test) will be lighter than the Bombardier equivalent that Siemens themselves use on current trains.

The only technical advantage that the Siemens bid had was finance costs. The other advantages they have are, at best, unproven.

I do not consider corruption to be a cheap shot. I agree that all firms will sail close to the mark when they are in fierce competition - but what Siemens have done should not be ignored.

I agree that there is no divine right for the UK to retain this manufacturing ability, but there are rational justifications. For example, whilst the rolling stock may (or may not - we do not know for sure) be more expensive from Bombardier, the cost to the UK would be higher due to lost tax revenue and increased benefit/jobseeker payments. I am sure we are all familiar with those arguments.

For me the bottom line is that the government has taken an economic decision, and my yet pay the political consequences (rightly or wrongly).

I certainly think this one has some mileage left in the tank.

Tags
rail, railways