daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #1021
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7531

Quote:
Leicester station to be ‘lighter and brighter’

Leicester is getting a freshen up and a lighter, brighter entrance to the station. Listed building consent was recently received to complete the works inside the historic porte-cochère.

Says Martin Frobisher, Network Rail route director, ‘These improvements will bring real benefits for passengers. First job is to renew the roof on the station and porte-cochère, then we move on to improve the flow of traffic ….. and create a pedestrian concourse.

‘We believe at the end of the scheme we will have a more welcoming station which is better for all users.’

The scheme will be finished by summer 2012. East Midlands Trains will also be completing works to refurbish the stairs to the platforms and the main station footbridge as well as installing a new canopy to cover the stairs and overbridge to the car park.

Says David Horne, Commercial and Customer Service Director for East Midlands Trains, ‘We welcome the changes at Leicester and look forward to working with Network Rail to deliver these significant improvements to the station.’
http://www.rail.co/2011/11/16/leices...-and-brighter/

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #1022
PortoNuts

Quote:
Sittingbourne station footbridge lifted into place

Passengers at Sittingbourne station were recently greeted with their new station footbridge, which was lifted into place over the weekend.

Together with the installation of two new lifts, the new bridge forms part of a multi-million pound investment though the government’s Access for All scheme to provide step-free access between the entrance and platforms making it more accessible for everyone.

http://www.rail.co/2011/11/16/sittin...ed-into-place/
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #1023
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCleverly View Post

Beware - There is quite a bit of audio distortion.
OMG! As if they are getting rid of these now and not the 142s!!!
Please can't we replace the 142s with these!? They may be the same age but the 150s are 100000s times better!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #1024
PortoNuts

Quote:
More carriages on Aberdeen-Inverness trains

ScotRail’s longest-ever daytime diesel train will be launched next month on the Aberdeen-Inverness line. The seven-carriage train will run during the evening peak-hour as the 17.18 Aberdeen-Inverness service – providing 124 more seats.

And almost 400 more seats will be added in total to three other trains on the route. The increases in capacity are a result of ScotRail’s ongoing review of deploying rolling stock in the most effective way possible.

From Monday, 12 December the 17.18 Aberdeen-Inverness service will have seven carriages – an increase of two.

Until now, the maximum number of carriages on ScotRail’s passenger diesel trains (excluding the Caledonian Sleepers) has been six, all serving the

Edinburgh-Glasgow and Edinburgh-Aberdeen routes, plus Fife to Edinburgh.

http://www.rail.co/2011/11/18/more-c...erness-trains/
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM   #1025
PortoNuts

Quote:
Busy rail routes to benefit from extra seats

Passengers on some of the country’s busiest rail routes are set to benefit from extra seats Rail Minister Theresa Villiers announced today. Passengers in the Thames Valley will benefit from nearly 4,500 additional seats each day into and out of London Paddington.

The majority of these services will also provide additional capacity into Reading.

The extra seats are being added thanks to Government funding for an additional 48 carriages on First Great Western services which run through Reading and the Thames Valley and into London Paddington as well as in Bristol and the far south west of England.

Theresa Villiers said: “We are determined to tackle overcrowding and provide better, more comfortable journeys for passengers. These extra carriages will enable existing services to be lengthened which will significantly increase their capacity. Completion of the vital Crossrail and Thameslink projects in London will also provide more capacity for passengers.

“In addition, we are investing in the electrification of the Great Western Main Line between London, Bristol, Cardiff, Oxford and Newbury and a massive reconstruction of Reading station. Adding carriages to some of the busiest routes in the country is a key part of the major programme of rail capacity expansion which we have promised to deliver. This is a vital way to respond to passenger concerns about crowding and provides important support for economic growth.”

The extra carriages, which are planned to come into service in time for the London 2012 Olympic Games, will be deployed on morning and evening peak services serving the capital and commuting towns such as Bristol, Reading, Basingstoke, Ealing Broadway, Slough and Maidenhead.

Two of the 48 carriages will be used to increase capacity on crowded trains between Truro and Falmouth and Exmouth and Torbay.
http://www.rail.co/2011/11/22/busy-r...m-extra-seats/
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:55 PM   #1026
PortoNuts

Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:18 PM   #1027
AndreiB

Likes (Received): 1186

I have one question for UK Rail Gurus. On various journeys across the East Coast Mainline, I noticed the train was a HST set, instead of the Class 91 locomtive+Mark IV Rack. I though they would have been journeys continuing on to Aberdeen or other such unelectrified destinations, but every time they were King's Cross to Newcastle or King's Cross to Edinburgh journeys, which are completely under the wires.

What is the logic in East Coast utilising Diesel Trains on fully electrified routes?
Old November 24th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #1028
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Its simple, they ran out of electric trains a long time ago. HSTs have been made availalble by the replacement of Cross Country HSTs by the Voyagers and Super Voyagers. The HSTs were then transferred to the ecml during GNER's time on the route, and also to the GWR to First Great Western. I don't know how many went to each - its a little complicated because east coast HSTs are longer. In the end cross country also ended up with a couple of HSTs back.
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #1029
AndreiB

I see. That seems slightly strange. After all how difficult is it to buy some electric trainsets. If they ran out of electric trains in GNER's time, they should have planned for something like this before.
Old November 25th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #1030
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiB View Post
I see. That seems slightly strange. After all how difficult is it to buy some electric trainsets. If they ran out of electric trains in GNER's time, they should have planned for something like this before.
I think that East Coast will be getting a couple of Pendolino sets, but those aside, I don't know of anythign planned for the future
Old November 25th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #1031
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiB View Post
It depends - if you're a Rolling Stock Leasing Company partnered with a Train Operating Company, then not so hard. If silly politicians try and get involved then it all goes completely wrong. East coast is a victim of the latter.

When the new electric trains were needed the government at the time insisted there was no need to electrify any more railways in the UK, and that diesel trains can do the job more cost effectively because they have a broader market and can roam further on the network. Despite the fact that everyone told them they were mad, and the rolling stock leasing companies (ie the banks) refused to fund such stupidity.

So then the government decided the best way to keep value for money (whilst fitting the situation to the plan and not the other way around like sensible people) was to embark on a huge centralised rolling stock order for the most technically complicated rail vehicle ever conceived - the IEP, in which the invitation to tender stated the bids must find their own funding (because the ROSCOs had basically refused)

In the meantime various options to take a few old class 90s and Mk3 stock, but they are only 110mph and couldn't really slot in to the timetable. The only vehicles that were available that could do 125mph were some HSTs, and while the government faffs it was the best option.

So, how hard is it to buy more electric trains? If you're the Department for Transport, very.

To give you an idea of how stupid their prosal is, the original idea was to replace the electric trains on the east coast mainline FIRST. Even though they are 15 years younger than the HSTs. Oh yes and the economies of scale that have been achieved by the centralised process has produced a vehicle that is more expensive per vehicle than an off the shelf pendolino.

Genius.
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #1032
AndreiB

That does sound completely unsound. I am also not a massive fan of the IEP programme, especially when considering the fact that at one point they suggested diesel top-up under the wires. I (personally) see no need to replace the class 91 sets. They are very comfortable and have a huge capacity. The problem of unelectrified destinations beyond the wires is not so hard and the vast majority of East Coast destinations are indeed electrified.
Old November 25th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #1033
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

What about costs? For example here in Ukraine diesel fuel is very expensive, while electric energy is cheap, so railway never diesel under overhead wire, unlesss they are really have no other options... And what is situation in UK?
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #1034
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
What about costs? For example here in Ukraine diesel fuel is very expensive, while electric energy is cheap, so railway never diesel under overhead wire, unlesss they are really have no other options... And what is situation in UK?
We do a lot of Diesels running on electric lines but thats normally because part of the route the train is taking isn't electric e.g. Cross Country, Transpennine, East Midlands etc

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1035
Think
...or not to be...

Likes (Received): 158

I suppose that in the past these trains were made by locomotives and carriages, chaging between electric and diesel locomotives during the service. When were they replaced by diesel train units?
Think no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #1036
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Changing locos is a highly inefficient process on long-distance rail routes, let alone the medium-distance express routes operated on ECML.

What the British need is to get over the obsessions of having direct trains to London from anywhere, and accepting the idea of more connecting services along their mainlines. But that is anathema, that a city will be "disconnected" from London.
Old November 26th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #1037
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
obsessions of having direct trains to London from anywhere, and accepting the idea of more connecting services along their mainlines
Could it be the idea of a "one seat ride" being better than the alternative, or perhaps the schedule discipline for reliable connecting services is just not there? Britain is not Switzerland.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #1038
Think
...or not to be...

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Changing locos is a highly inefficient process on long-distance rail routes
I've got my doubts. Sometimes yes, sometimes maybe.

In any case I don't mind, my question is still there, I don't think the've always made all this services whith train units. I wanna know when the have been changed from locos and carriages.
Think no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #1039
PortoNuts

Quote:
Extra train carriages on Bristol to London line is welcomed in Yate

A GOVERNMENT announcement to increase the number of train carriages on the Bristol to London line through Yate has been welcomed in the town. Under the plans announced by transport minister Theresa Villiers, First Great Western will be adding 48 extra carriages to morning and evening peak services creating several hundred additional seats.

The extra carriages will be made available from the summer next year and will lead to 588 seats on morning peak hour services between Bristol and London and a further 336 on evening peak services out of Paddington.

Thornbury and Yate MP Steve Webb, who has long campaigned for extra seats on trains in and out of Yate, welcomed the announcement.

Mr Webb, himself a regular commuter on the Great Western mainline, said: "Rail passengers will very much welcome this investment in extra carriages for peak hour First Great Western services. "Like many people, I regularly travel on peak-hour services which are standing-room only. These extra carriages will help more people to travel in comfort and are a further boost following the news of extra carriages for suburban services from Yate. "Coming on top of the confirmation of plans to electrify the Great Western mainline, this news is further evidence of the government’s commitment to invest in our public transport infrastructure."

http://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/news/...comed_in_Yate/
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #1040
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Changing locos is a highly inefficient process on long-distance rail routes, let alone the medium-distance express routes operated on ECML.
This is true, I was on the Trans-Mongolian in Datong and it took about 30 mins. It probably could be done quicker though, or hybrid trains could be used. Or even use an electric locomotive with a DMU set and disconnect the electric locomotive at the end.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
rail, railways