daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2011, 10:57 PM   #1061
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

CL225
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #1062
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7499

Old December 24th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #1063
trainrover

Those Voyagers seem truly powerful (their acceleration, 0'20" )
Old December 26th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #1064
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

Why does the entire National Rail system seemingly shut down for Christmas Day?

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #1065
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneCity View Post
Because its Christmas! People are opening presents instead!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:07 AM   #1066
trainrover

Old December 31st, 2011, 05:13 AM   #1067
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Because its Christmas! People are opening presents instead!
Obviously, but what is the reason? Tradition? Union agreements?

It's Christmas on December 25 throughout the Christian world, and no transport system completely shuts down in Australia for Xmas Day. Not sure elsewhere. Just seems bizarre/old fashioned that the entire UK rail system shuts down for a day.

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 02:13 PM   #1068
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

I think it was the Victorians who are responsible for the current traditions in the UK, though don't quote me, it was on telly a few weeks back.
Old December 31st, 2011, 03:27 PM   #1069
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Obviously, but what is the reason? Tradition? Union agreements?

It's Christmas on December 25 throughout the Christian world, and no transport system completely shuts down in Australia for Xmas Day. Not sure elsewhere. Just seems bizarre/old fashioned that the entire UK rail system shuts down for a day.
Its not that bizarre, no one would use it if it was open and no one drivers would want to work then. Because...England IS a Christian country There I said it! haha

I <3 London
Old December 31st, 2011, 04:46 PM   #1070
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Maintenance :-)
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 04:50 PM   #1071
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Its not that bizarre, no one would use it if it was open and no one drivers would want to work then.
So nobody leaves his house on Christmas in the UK? No visits to relatives?
Most European countries are as "christian" as the UK. Nevertheless most run trains on Christmas as if it was a normal sunday. In Switzerland they will even run extras for all the people heading for the ski slopes.
Old December 31st, 2011, 06:41 PM   #1072
sotonsi

TfL doesn't give Christmas Day as a mandatory day off, but they cannot find the staff to run a train service on the Underground. I believe they can run a few bus services.

Christmas Day/Boxing Day is a time when they do a lot of engineering works on the railways - like other Bank Holidays.

Yes people do want to travel, however the demand is the lowest in the year. If you look at the roads, where there's no Christmas closures, then traffic drops massively on Christmas Day, and traffic is mostly local - people have travelled on the days before, rather than wanting to drive on Christmas Day.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 11:41 AM   #1073
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
TfL doesn't give Christmas Day as a mandatory day off, but they cannot find the staff to run a train service on the Underground. I believe they can run a few bus services.
Most railway companies just tell their staff when to work. Not turning up because it's a holiday is not an option at most transit and rail companies in Europe.
Of course, a well organized company will be able to tell it's staff well in advance on which holidays they will have to work, and will usually make sure that it's not the same ones that have to work on each Christmas.

Quote:
Christmas Day/Boxing Day is a time when they do a lot of engineering works on the railways - like other Bank Holidays.
So it appears that finding people willing to work in Christmas is not really a problem after all...

Quote:
Yes people do want to travel, however the demand is the lowest in the year. If you look at the roads, where there's no Christmas closures, then traffic drops massively on Christmas Day, and traffic is mostly local - people have travelled on the days before, rather than wanting to drive on Christmas Day.
Maybe it's just because there is no supply that there is no demand. I did about 200km on public transport on Christmas day. But that was partly our fault. We ended up having a Christmas like the Vicar of Dibley in "the Christmas Lunch incident". Public transport in Switzerland was just running like a normal sunday...

O maybe it's a cultural thing, and Brits aren't big on visiting people on Christmas.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:15 AM   #1074
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
So nobody leaves his house on Christmas in the UK? No visits to relatives?
Most European countries are as "christian" as the UK. Nevertheless most run trains on Christmas as if it was a normal sunday. In Switzerland they will even run extras for all the people heading for the ski slopes.
People in general do stay at home with family, some go out for their Christmas dinner at a restaurant but who dresses up and takes the family there on the train?

Some visit relatives but not the ones that live miles and miles away, just ones close by which you would drive to anyway...

I <3 London
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:17 AM   #1075
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:

O maybe it's a cultural thing, and Brits aren't big on visiting people on Christmas.
I think thats partly it. Me and pretty much everyone I know stays at home with their families. Some may drive like 10mins away to see their uncle or what ever but thats it...

I <3 London
Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM   #1076
sotonsi

Quote:
Most railway companies just tell their staff when to work. Not turning up because it's a holiday is not an option at most transit and rail companies in Europe.
Not allowing to take a day as paid leave wouldn't be acceptable, and any company that wouldn't allow people Christmas Day off (out of annual leave) would see their entire workforce taking a few days of unpaid leave to do some industrial action!
Quote:
So it appears that finding people willing to work in Christmas is not really a problem after all...
No, not when they are getting paid massive overtime, which train drivers, station staff, etc wouldn't (as public holidays don't exist for them).
Quote:
Maybe it's just because there is no supply that there is no demand.
with less business related use on the roads, there's masses of spare capacity on the roads.

And they remain empty as people don't want to travel Christmas Day (some might, as there's less traffic, but it's a self-sustaining small number). So there's tons of supply, and no demand on the roads at Christmas - PT would be the same - the ability to drink is outweighed by the reduced frequencies, the inability to transport presents easily and such like.
Quote:
I did about 200km on public transport on Christmas day.
why on earth would you want to spend a couple of hours of Christmas Day not with your family, but travelling?
Quote:
Oh, we are fairly big on that, but we're not big at skitting back and forth, popping heads round doors then on to the next place - that would be rude to do.

You go somewhere for Christmas Day that isn't 10 minutes drive/20 minutes walk away and you tend to spend at least the night before (leaving in the evening) or the night after (arriving late morning), or more normally both, arriving Christmas Eve, leaving Boxing Day (say in the morning to go visit other relatives, as I used to when we visited both sets of Grandparents).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:28 PM   #1077
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9989

In other news

The UK is now on track () to have some of the most expensive rail fares in the world.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ja...ail-fare-rises

Quote:
Train fares go up by an average of 5.9% but some commuters will find their season tickets rising by almost 11%
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:53 PM   #1078
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

It is a great thing train passengers are covering a larger share of their direct operational costs out of their pockets, instead of from the public purse, like (private) road and (all) air transport users have been doing for decades!
Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:33 PM   #1079
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9989

Certainly do not agree. The UK model is a subsidized set of cross-regional monopolies, that earn a profit for their shareholders (while still getting public money). If it had UK sized rail fares, DB would be one of the most profitable companies in the world.
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:55 PM   #1080
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

UK rail fares, on average, are not really that much higher. Newspapers and activist love to compare anytime turn-up-and-go fares, but the fare systems are very different among countries. UK has the best system (regardless of the fare levels) so it offers deep discounts for advanced purchase and charges more for people who must travel at the last moment. Netherlands, for instance, has a worse and less sophisticated fare system, it costs all the same except for pass holders or seasonal discount subscribers.

Therefore, you can't actually compare last-minute prices among different countries. You'd never travel 680km for £ 32 like you can travel in UK

Tags
rail, railways