daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #1221
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't find these buffers convincing (in the following, two-hour-old [supposedly], skewed photo)?

The blog hosting that photo scoffs at the signage and the omission of sand drag.
Maybe British units are lighter and don't need such sturdy buffers to stop them? It's highly unlikely that you're going to have a train plow into them at 125 miles per hour (probably would have derailed in the Paddington approach)

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #1222
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Maybe British units are lighter and don't need such sturdy buffers to stop them? It's highly unlikely that you're going to have a train plow into them at 125 miles per hour (probably would have derailed in the Paddington approach)
Buffers are pointless with UK trains. No UK trains or atleast very few are fitted with them so it would just smash the train up if it hit them rather than take the impact...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #1223
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7499

Old March 30th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #1224
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
No weight difference really, longer car lengths in europe might make a EMU car 45 tons instead of 40, easily offset by hitting the buffers quicker. I just think these buffers are far more effective than they look, just like the flimsy looking central barriers we have on our dual carriageways. Would be good to find out though, surely someone has some knowledge?

Last edited by makita09; March 30th, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1225
PortoNuts

Quote:
Waterloo named Britain’s busiest rail station

Waterloo has been named as the busiest station in Great Britain by the Office of Rail Regulation.

Station usage statistics for April 2010 – March 2011 estimate that there were 91,750,382 entries and exits made by passengers at Waterloo station – an increase of 6.2% (over 5 million more passenger entries and exits) compared with 2009-2010 figures.

London Victoria came second with 73,573,492 entries and exits (an increase of 4.8%) and London Liverpool Street third with 55,769,423 (up 8.1%).

Glasgow Central beats Birmingham New Street to be the busiest station outside London, taking ninth place in the GB rankings.
http://www.rail.co/2012/03/30/waterl...-rail-station/
Old March 30th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #1226
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by makita09 View Post
these buffers are far more effective than they look
Far more? What is it about their appearance that must be convincing you?

Other than coming across that (linked) blog, I can find neither any review nor critique of the buffers. I have, however, come across many a news item from about five years ago, reporting some decree/order that trains approach no less than 20 metres away from the buffer stops ... mind you, this week's photo proves otherwise

Spectacular glamour's convincing when properly coupled to engineering ...
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:20 AM   #1227
Christopher125

Likes (Received): 176

How they look is irrelevant, what matters is their performance and if they conform to the relevant standard, which i think its safe to assume they do, then all is well.

Chris
Christopher125 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 04:49 PM   #1228
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

Great Western are getting their 180s back?
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 06:07 PM   #1229
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
What the hell happened to Clapham Junction?

This is probably a list of terminal stations
Old March 31st, 2012, 07:51 PM   #1230
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon

What the hell happened to Clapham Junction?

This is probably a list of terminal stations
No, it's all stations, full list here....

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/xl...usage_1011.xls
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 07:59 PM   #1231
sotonsi

Clapham Junction doesn't have the same passengers embarking/alighting/changing as Waterloo - we're looking at a different criteria for 'busiest' than number of trains stopping (which is where Clapham Junction wins).

Edit: looking at the spreadsheet, Clapham Junction also scores nearly 3 times the interchanges of second place London Bridge. In fact that number is so high, I'm guessing the article ignores interchanges and just goes with entrances/exits - then again, Clapham Junction (while jumping from 18th to 5th if you add in interchanges to create total passengers using it still is only 5th)

Last edited by sotonsi; March 31st, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:21 PM   #1232
trainrover

Oh? How was the performance of the likes of KC's buffer stops proven? Plus what measure was brought about, revoking the 20-metre clawback at that terminus set on several years ago?
Old April 1st, 2012, 05:33 PM   #1233
PortoNuts

Quote:
Work to build Beccles rail loop underway

Work has started to build a passing loop which will enable future hourly services to run between Ipswich and Lowestoft. Currently, train services between Ipswich and Lowestoft run every two hours.

There is a single track between Halesworth and Oulton Broad, meaning that trains cannot pass each other for more than 16 miles.

The £4m scheme, jointly funded by Network Rail and Suffolk County Council, will bring a disused platform back into use at Beccles station and track and signalling works will also be carried out in October, as part of a wider £21m project to resignal the East Suffolk Line, to improve reliability and performance.

Dave Ward, Network Rail route managing director, said: “This investment will make a huge difference to people living in the area and is part of our wider plans to build a bigger and better railway.

“Enabling more services will mean that people living along the East Suffolk Line will be better connected to the main line. We are investing around £1bn across the Anglia route to run a better and more reliable train service for passengers.”
http://www.rail.co/2012/03/30/work-t...loop-underway/
Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:04 AM   #1234
makita09

Quote:
Far more? What is it about their appearance that must be convincing you?

Other than coming across that (linked) blog, I can find neither any review nor critique of the buffers. I have, however, come across many a news item from about five years ago, reporting some decree/order that trains approach no less than 20 metres away from the buffer stops ... mind you, this week's photo proves otherwise

Spectacular glamour's convincing when properly coupled to engineering ...
Its the other way around - I am not convinced by your concerns, because all you have done is look at a picture.

My first assumption must be that they were designed by people, developed by people, tested by people and all the rest. They didn't get there by magic. Therefore one must assume that there is some logic to their existence until proven otherwise.

As expert as your eye obviously is for engineering, I cannot share your concerns. At all.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:47 PM   #1235
trainrover

The Pursuit of Cosmetics is more suited to band-naming than some delirious, vacuuous stance ... I was neither asking you what you share with me nor about your assumption(s) regarding about infrastructure components ... I'd like to find out from forummers what be convincing about that hardware ...
Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:32 AM   #1236
makita09

So would I like to know, as I previously said if you read back. Both of us do not know, but you are the one making assumptions that are unreasonable, mine are perfectly sound. Unless you're a paranoiac who assumes everything is wrong until you have it proved to you otherwise, it is reasonable to assume that the equipment on the railways was designed and built by railway engineers, and it is reasonable to assume that they know a thing or two.

If you think my position is vacuous, you have very little understanding of your own mind. You have seen something, questioned it, and have then held on to your initial thought like its a cherished possession, unwilling to let go of the irrational kernel of the idea and then accusing me instead. Well done, be proud of yourself, I'm sure that is all that matters.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:19 PM   #1237
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Quote:
I'd like to find out from forummers what be convincing about that hardware ...
>from forummers what be convincing
>what be convincing
>what be

Are you a pirate?
Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:39 PM   #1238
trainrover

Y? R U beauty?
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:44 AM   #1239
PortoNuts

Quote:
Signalling upgrade to cut rail delays ‘by 50%’

Network Rail has said the four-year scheme to upgrade signalling infrastructure on the Great Western main line could ‘help cut delays by 50%’. The £400m improvement will ‘significantly benefit’ services travelling through Bristol, Bath, Chippenham, Swindon, Didcot, Reading, Newbury and Oxford.

Network Rail said around 25,000 minutes of delays on average each year on the Great Western main line are potentially caused by problems with aging signalling equipment.

The major upgrade will also support the 10-year plan to expand services on the Great Western main line, catering to the 51% forecast increase in rail demand by the end of the decade. In addition, the improvement work is also vital to prepare the signalling infrastructure, so that it is compatible with an electrified railway.

The improvement will be carried out in five stages, starting from the Didcot area, to minimise disruption. Invensys has recently been appointed as the main contractor to deliver the work in the Didcot area.

The biggest programme of work will be carried out in the Bristol area, which is forecast to experience the highest number of passenger growth of 44% in the next decade.

The signalling upgrade forms part of a wider ten-year, £5bn plan to transform the Great Western main line. The transformation programme comprises of several core packages of work, including electrification, between London and Bristol.
http://www.rail.co/2012/04/04/signal...-delays-by-50/
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #1240
PortoNuts

Quote:
Improvements to Kirkgate station given go ahead

Plans to renew the canopies and remove part of the redundant spine wall at Kirkgate station have today been granted Listed Building consent by Wakefield District Council planning committee.

The plans to ‘transform’ the listed station building have been drawn up by Groundwork Wakefield with support from Network Rail, Northern Rail, West Yorkshire PTE (Metro), Wakefield council and Railway Heritage Trust.

Phil Verster, route managing director at Network Rail, said: “This is the news we have been waiting for at Kirkgate. Our team is already on site completing preparatory works and will press ahead with the full scheme immediately.

“Our project is in addition to the wider scheme to transform the station building which is being led by Groundwork Wakefield.

“We expect to complete our work in November when the station building scheme is expected to begin.”

Network Rail’s work on the station is worth approximately £1.5m and is being funded by the company with a contribution from the Railway Heritage Trust.
http://www.rail.co/2012/04/05/improv...iven-go-ahead/

Tags
rail, railways