daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #1501
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
While electrification is certainly overdue on many mainlines in Britain, any further speed increases there are completely out of the question. Faster trains cost capacity which British Rail can ill-afford.
Its completely out of the question except on the lines where it isn't, and where linespeeds are being increased to 200km/h as I type. But yeah, apart from that its out of the question.....

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #1502
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

I shall come back in a month to correct the next collection of invalid memes....

Last edited by makita09; February 9th, 2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Yes I know I'm a tit :)
makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #1503
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post

(Shown in the UK on 22nd January 2013) (Part 2 of 3)
And finally, Part 3 of 3 (shown in the UK on 29th January 2013)

IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #1504
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Faster trains cost capacity which British Rail can ill-afford.
It can be done on two track lines, if you institute timed overtakes. Whether the railways can apply the schedule discipline to make it work is another matter.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #1505
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
It can be done on two track lines, if you institute timed overtakes. Whether the railways can apply the schedule discipline to make it work is another matter.
That might work in Japan where railways are extremely well maintained and train-drivers are punished for being late. But certainly not not in Britain or elsewhere in Europe.
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #1506
SteveAWOL

Likes (Received): 171

BBC Two - The Railway: Keeping Britain on Track

Quote:
Documentary series revealing the inner workings of Britain's railways, introducing the track-workers, train guards, drivers, police officers and management teams determined to keep the country moving.

1. Kings Cross

Documentary following the staff at London's King's Cross station, the gateway to Leeds, York, Newcastle and Edinburgh for the 47 million people who travel through the station every year.

The 1970s concourse at King's Cross is cramped and dark, doing nothing to help the spirits of the passengers - something that Alexis, who works on the passenger information point, knows all too well from her experience of dealing with frustrated travellers. Steve, who sells tickets in the travel centre, says he regularly relies on his conflict resolution training.

There is hope that a brand new concourse will lift everyone's spirits. East Coast manager Steve Newland wants the opening to coincide with customer service levels worthy of a five-star hotel, a vision that is frustrated when broken-down trains and fatalities on the line bring everything to a standstill.

Laxman has worked at the station for 35 years, during which time he has witnessed both an IRA bombing and the King's Cross fire. He is a much-loved staff member but will not be there to see the new concourse filled with passengers, as retirement beckons. His last day at work is a very sad one for everyone at the station.
SteveAWOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #1507
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Some (Well, 2) recent photographs of the improvement work happening with Reading station:-

image hosted on flickr

Reading Station Remodelling Footbridge Removal 10/03/2013 005 by Dave C1, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

2013-03-02 | 13 new subway - north entrance by Mark & Naomi Iliff, on Flickr
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #1508
AndreiB

Likes (Received): 1185

I have to say, while it looks like a great operational improvement, architecturally I find it a bit disappointing.

I would have preferred one grand trainshed covering the platforms & tracks, considering how often it rains at Reading. I would also have liked a more daring shape.

Does anyone know the proposed service pattern in the future? Currently almost all long-distance trains stop at Reading, which impacts the comfort of long distance passengers as they are crushed in next to Reading commuters at Peak Times.

I realise that currently there is little sense for not stopping at Reading, but with future capacity it might be worthile skipping Reading on a few select peak time trains from Bristol/Cardiff?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:26 PM   #1509
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci

Likes (Received): 820

Great documentary about Waterloo Station in 1944. Did it change a lot?

From wdtvlive42 channel on YT:

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #1510
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_LCY View Post
Great documentary about Waterloo Station in 1944. Did it change a lot?

From wdtvlive42 channel on YT:

The technology may have changed and everything looks cleaner, but in essence it is exactly the same.

Robi_damian liked this post
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #1511
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

07 June 2013 :
Beeching Night 19h00 GMT, Sunday, 09 June, BBC Parliament channel

Beeching: Railway vandal or visionary?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #1512
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15412

Hi there.

I have 4 questions:

What about the electrification of the GWML, is that going ahead?

And if so, have works already started, or just the preliminary works (bridges, tunnels & etc)?

This electrification should be in service by the time Crossrail opens, or it would open at the same time as Crossrail?

The first phase was only till Bristol, or would it involve the Severn tunnel as well?

Thank you.
Old June 16th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1513
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Hi there.

I have 4 questions:

What about the electrification of the GWML, is that going ahead?

And if so, have works already started, or just the preliminary works (bridges, tunnels & etc)?

This electrification should be in service by the time Crossrail opens, or it would open at the same time as Crossrail?

The first phase was only till Bristol, or would it involve the Severn tunnel as well?

Thank you.
I thought someone from UK would answer you, but since none did here is what I know:

- GWML eletrification has been approved and is moving ahead
- preliminary works only as far as I know
- Electrification will be done in stages so perhaps not all of it will be in operation when Crossrail is finished
- Initial plan was for electrification only till Bristol, but after some heavy lobbying it was decided to electrify until Swansea thus including Severn tunnel (technically challenging). Several commuter lines in Cardiff area will be electrified as well.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #1514
Christopher125

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I thought someone from UK would answer you, but since none did here is what I know:

- GWML eletrification has been approved and is moving ahead
- preliminary works only as far as I know
- Electrification will be done in stages so perhaps not all of it will be in operation when Crossrail is finished
- Initial plan was for electrification only till Bristol, but after some heavy lobbying it was decided to electrify until Swansea thus including Severn tunnel (technically challenging). Several commuter lines in Cardiff area will be electrified as well.
Perhaps surprisingly Network Rail have said the Severn Tunnel isn't a great challenge, it benefits from good clearances and though wet this isn't an unusual issue. As for the GWML, Crossrail electrification is the first priority with a lot of bridge work completed or underway as are electrification depots and stockpiling of materials, but things will really start moving with the arrival of the high output electrification train presumably later this year.

Chris

437.001 liked this post
Christopher125 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #1515
NottinghamGuy1988

Likes (Received): 3

History of the Great Central Railway (Preserved)

The Great Central Railway (GCR) is a heritage railway in Leicestershire, named after the company that originally built this stretch of railway.

The GCR is currently Britain's only double track mainline heritage railway, with 5.25 miles (8.45 km) of working double track, period signalling, locomotives and rolling stock. It runs for 8.25 miles (13.28 km) in total from the large market town of Loughborough to a new terminus just north of Leicester.

Four stations are in operation, each restored to a period in the railway's commercial history, the 1950s Loughborough Central, Second World War and the remainder of the 1940s Quorn & Woodhouse, the Edwardian Era Rothley and the 1960s Leicester North

(Source of information is from the Wikipedia Website)

Last edited by NottinghamGuy1988; June 26th, 2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: new update.
NottinghamGuy1988 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1516
NottinghamGuy1988

Likes (Received): 3

Great Central Railway 2013, United Kingdom -BRIDGE TO FUTURE.

Great Central Railway to 'bridge' the gap between Leicester and Nottingham within five years.

May 30 2013 By Isaac Ashe (Loughborough Echo)

(The picture above of the main bridge over the Midland Main Line at Loughborough, is from the Great Central Railway's main website)

GREAT Central Railway is hoping to ‘bridge’ the gap between the Loughborough heritage line and the Nottingham section to the north with the news a connection is to be built over the Midland Mainline. GCR has launched a £1m Bridge To The Future fund-raising appeal after forming a parnership with Network Rail to build a bridge over the Midland Main Line at Loughborough.

Design work is underway and the new structure made up of two reclaimed rail bridges from Reading is expected to be in place running over the four tracks of the Midland Mainline by mid-2015 - allowing the demolished 500m link between the two sections, rejoining Leicester to Nottingham via an 18 mile heritage railway. GCR managing director Bill Ford said: “We are delighted to announce this incredible step forward. “Building this bridge unlocks the rest of the re-unification project which will create an attraction with truly international appeal.”

Following the bridge’s construction, other elements of the overall project include repairing an existing canal bridge, building a new bridge over Railway Terrace Road in Loughborough and replacing a missing embankment. The estimated cost for the complete scheme is £8m, and it is hoped trains will be running within five years. Mark Fowler, of Great Central Railway Nottingham, said: “There is huge interest and excitement amongst both railway enthusiasts and the general public in seeing this project succeed. “It is vitally important to us that the local communities join us in this vision too. It will drive economic benefit during construction and in the longer term too.” Phil Verster, route managing director for Network Rail, said: “Our electrification teams are already making significant changes to the infrastructure in this area so it’s the ideal opportunity to get the bridge in place, with minimal disruption and cost. “Once the full scheme is complete it will bring significant economic benefits to the region as well as reinstating a piece of our railway heritage.”

Loughborough MP Nicky Morgan has worked to bring about reunification. She said: “This is an incredibly exciting project for Loughborough, Leicestershire and beyond and I am delighted to give it my whole-hearted support. “We have all seen the bridges lying next to the GCR station in Loughborough. To realise that, with the support of Network Rail and other key parties, their re-use to bring together the two parts of the Great Central Railway is now within sight, is a thrilling prospect.

“I am convinced that reunification will bring big benefits to our local economy and I do hope everyone locally will support this important first step.”Nigel Harris, chairman of Great Central Railway Development, said: “This agreement is the start of the Great Central’s most exciting adventure yet; the delivery of a vision of an intercity heritage railway.
“It’s been a very long haul to get to this point, especially over the last 20 years, but what has unlocked the problem has been Network Rail’s willingness to work in partnership with GCR, Charnwood Borough Council, Loughborough MP Nicky Morgan and other stakeholders. "The whole community is invited to participate. If you’ve ever wanted to see this happen, now is the time to act!”

To support the appeal, or for more information about building the bridge and the rest of the reunification project, visit www.gcrailway.co.uk/unify

The Gap is clearly shown in the image above from BBC News.

For more Information on Britian's only double track main line steam railway, please have a look at this video on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCSZl9D-mOY

Last edited by NottinghamGuy1988; June 26th, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
NottinghamGuy1988 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:30 AM   #1517
Sister Greed U

Hi there.

I have a question.

If ever a railway was to be built on the Spanish side along the Costa del Sol from Fuengirola to La Línea, and in the now-not-so-likely case that Gibraltar were interested in it, these two questions come to mind:

a) would that be a National Rail affair, or would that be Gibraltar devolved stuff?

b) is it feasible to bore a tunnel under the airport?

Though I guess that an underground station right at the border with the entrance in UK territory would be the most likely solution, of course.
But that would be unpractical for those going to Gibraltar town.
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #1518
Hoskins

Likes (Received): 877

Quote:
a) would that be a National Rail affair, or would that be Gibraltar devolved stuff?
It wouldn't have anything to do with National Rail/Network Rail - they cover a specific railway network in Great Britain (ie not even all railways there). Running a railway isn't a nationalised function. I could build and run my very own railway in Britain (indeed new preservation lines open now and again even today - some even run regular 'non-preservation' passenger trains) and it would have diddle-squat to do with Network/National Rail. The only national authority that would be involved would be Her Majesty's Railway Inspectors... but only if it were open to passengers.

In any case, Gibraltar is not part of the UK. It is a British overseas territory and is almost entirely self-governing. Devolution doesn't even come into it - that term only applies to N. Ireland, Wales and Scotland.

Going back to your hypothetical railway that would lead into Gibraltar, I would imagine it would be owned and run by whatever operator runs the Spanish part of the line. The Gibraltar government would oversee safety & security aspects in its territory, of course, but I doubt they'd even get involved in timetables, pricing, etc, for passengers, unless there were more than one station in Gibraltar... which is unlikely. Indeed - as you suggest - any such railway would most likely terminate just at the border, staying within Spanish territory, as a) Gibraltar is crowded and it would be difficult to build into it without great costs and b) it's just not worth running trains through the border checks etc.

437.001 liked this post

Last edited by Hoskins; July 4th, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Hoskins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #1519
sotonsi

Quote:
b) is it feasible to bore a tunnel under the airport?
Yes - they are planning on doing it right now, to remove the level crossing between the entrance road and the runway by building a new dual carriageway that goes in a big U-on-its-side under the terminal and the east end of the runway.

437.001 liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #1520
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Yes - they are planning on doing it right now, to remove the level crossing between the entrance road and the runway by building a new dual carriageway that goes in a big U-on-its-side under the terminal and the east end of the runway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoskins View Post
It wouldn't have anything to do with National Rail/Network Rail - they cover a specific railway network in Great Britain (ie not even all railways there). Running a railway isn't a nationalised function. I could build and run my very own railway in Britain (indeed new preservation lines open now and again even today - some even run regular 'non-preservation' passenger trains) and it would have diddle-squat to do with Network/National Rail. The only national authority that would be involved would be Her Majesty's Railway Inspectors... but only if it were open to passengers.
In this case it would be a commuter train. No freight at all, nor long-distance rail.

Quote:
In any case, Gibraltar is not part of the UK. It is a British overseas territory and is almost entirely self-governing. Devolution doesn't even come into it - that term only applies to N. Ireland, Wales and Scotland.
This is a strange notion to me. We´re not used to this "being British but not part of the UK". Curious.

Quote:
Going back to your hypothetical railway that would lead into Gibraltar, I would imagine it would be owned and run by whatever operator runs the Spanish part of the line. The Gibraltar government would oversee safety & security aspects in its territory, of course, but I doubt they'd even get involved in timetables, pricing, etc, for passengers, unless there were more than one station in Gibraltar... which is unlikely. Indeed - as you suggest - any such railway would most likely terminate just at the border, staying within Spanish territory, as a) Gibraltar is crowded and it would be difficult to build into it without great costs and b) it's just not worth running trains through the border checks etc.
The idea came from the fact that there is indeed a number of British citizens living across the border in the Costa del Sol, greater even than the population of Gibraltar itself. So I guess that it might be of some use to them to have an access.

I don´t know if you´re aware or not, but there´s actually a plan of extending the commuter train line from its current end at Fuengirola to Marbella, Estepona and Algeciras. This plan is currently shelved due to the crisis, obviously, as it would involve loads of tunneling that we can´t afford by now. And it would be phased (Fuengirola to Mijas and Marbella, then Marbella to Estepona, then Estepona to Algeciras).

Between La Línea and San Roque station there´s an old disused freight branch that would probably be re-used.

I guess though that the cheapest option would be a surface station at northern La Linea, and then bus shuttles to Gibraltar.

Thanks for the info in any case.

Last edited by 437.001; July 5th, 2013 at 05:11 PM.
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
rail, railways