daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM   #141
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
Services are not yet using the line to its full capabilities - the December 2008 timetable change takes advantage of changes to the running times.
You've said this already. The timetable improvement is only going to be achieved by taking up slack south of Rugby. Otherwise you are telling me there are going to be further linespeed improvements south of Rugby. Are there?

Quote:
I do not know the reason why they released the work, but whatever it was, it not particularly robust, and it was surprising that it was published into teh public domain when it was incomplete.
I don't find it surprising at all. If it was exact it would cause all sorts of political problems, for example from people living in the path of the proposed route. The government would not have thanked Arup at all if it started having to deal with campaign groups for a proposal it wasn't even close to signing up to. That info should come out at the public consultation stage only. Arup are one the world's leading engineering firms, I find it very hard to believe they would make a schoolboy error over a £4.5bn project.

Last edited by elfabyanos; August 23rd, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:09 PM   #142
Magellan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfabyanos View Post
You've said this already. The timetable improvement is only going to be achieved by taking up slack south of Rugby. Otherwise you are telling me there are going to be further linespeed improvements south of Rugby. Are there?
Get a life or take it up with Virgin and Network Rail.

Quote:
I don't find it surprising at all. If it was exact it would cause all sorts of political problems, for example from people living in the path of the proposed route. The government would not have thanked Arup at all if it started having to deal with campaign groups for a proposal it wasn't even close to signing up to. That info should come out at the public consultation stage only. Arup are one the world's leading engineering firms, I find it very hard to believe they would make a schoolboy error over a £4.5bn project.
Rubbish - the work was shoddy and is an embarrasement to the company - someone slipped up.
Magellan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM   #143
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Quote:
Get a life or take it up with Virgin and Network Rail.
I don't take kindly to having the same thing said to me over and over when its quite plain that I already knew it and it has no bearing on the validity of my point. You tell me to get a life but can you honestly say you weren't enjoying being the all-knowledgable-teacher in this forum, but the moment you are questioned look how you react?

Just to be petty I would like to point out your incorrect use of the term "headway", which in railway terms means the time distance between two trains which is likely to be 3 minutes on HS2, not the length of the journey.

And do you really think you know better than one of the world's finest engineering firms?
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:49 PM   #144
Magellan

Quote:
I don't take kindly to having the same thing said to me over and over when its quite plain that I already knew it and it has no bearing on the validity of my point. You tell me to get a life but can you honestly say you weren't enjoying being the all-knowledgable-teacher in this forum, but the moment you are questioned look how you react?
As I said, if you have a problem with the 1h 10m, take it with Virgin and Network Rail who published the information and whom are better informed than you or I on the matter. Once again - get a life.

Quote:
Just to be petty I would like to point out your incorrect use of the term "headway", which in railway terms means the time distance between two trains which is likely to be 3 minutes on HS2, not the length of the journey.

And do you really think you know better than one of the world's finest engineering firms?
Thank you - you are correct - I used the wrong terminology.

Arup - that was not my opinion, but that of commentators on the industry who know Arup better than you or I - see above.
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #145
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Quote:
As I said, if you have a problem with the 1h 10m, take it with Virgin and Network Rail who published the information and whom are better informed than you or I on the matter. Once again - get a life.
Did I say I had a problem with the 1hr 10 mins? No, I didn't. Did I speculate on how that would be achieved? Yes. Where on earth did you get the idea that I was arguing with NR? Besides the fact that I already know about the high frequency virgin timetable and that unlike you I'm not in the habit of thinking I know better than large organisations, I didn't actually say anything to contradict you. You have bent this completely out of shape, and telling me to get a life because you don't understand what you're reading and getting all huffy is pathetic

Last edited by elfabyanos; August 24th, 2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #146
Brummyboy92
Birmingham = #1

Likes (Received): 1319

When will we find out whether or not the HSR will be built from London to Birmibgham? Its probaly been asked loads of times so sorry!
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #147
Magellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummyboy92 View Post
When will we find out whether or not the HSR will be built from London to Birmibgham? Its probaly been asked loads of times so sorry!
There is no firm plan to build HSR lines in the UK. The main activity at the moment is to justify it on costs vs benefits. Network Rail is looking at options to tackle projected overcrowding on a number of routes, but not specifically to look at the introduction of HSR services. Its analysis will probably not be completed until next year at teh earliest.
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #148
Magellan

Quote:
Did I say I had a problem with the 1hr 10 mins? No, I didn't. Did I speculate on how that would be achieved? Yes. Where on earth did you get the idea that I was arguing with NR? Besides the fact that I already know about the high frequency virgin timetable and that unlike you I'm not in the habit of thinking I know better than large organisations, I didn't actually say anything to contradict you. You have bent this completely out of shape, and telling me to get a life because you don't understand what you're reading and getting all huffy is pathetic
You seem to be attempting to take the thread off topic again. You should perhaps review your attitude when you post.
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #149
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
You seem to be attempting to take the thread off topic again. You should perhaps review your attitude when you post.
No, I think you did the moment you resorted to pathetic personal insults
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #150
Magellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
No, I think you did the moment you resorted to pathetic personal insults
I suggest you go back and read the thread and posts.
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #151
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
I suggest you go back and read the thread and posts.
And read the bit where you tell someone to "get a life"?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #152
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Magellan - You took it off topic when you thought I was arguing about the 1hr 10mins. And then you started the insults. Maybe you should review your attitude to your postings.

Twice this thread has gone off-topic and yes I responded to it (technically it was Hoosier who took the thread off topic, then Sotonsi, then me), but I am not going to sit idly by whilst people make unfair comments about sections of the human race. I also think I have the right to correct people when they misunderstand my posts, and when my posts are perfectly clear in the first place I won't make any apologies for it either.

Quote:
A typical response from someone without humility - how about answering to the point? Did I argue with you over the 1hr 10 minute thing? No. Are you going to respond when I put it to you that you therefore have taken this off topic?

Last edited by elfabyanos; August 26th, 2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #153
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Well I have taken it up with Virgin and it appears there won't be very large time savings for Brum to London services anyway. It turns out I should have argued! Much ado about nothing. The fastest service will be 1 hr 12 minutes, and that will be achieved by being non-stop - as I thought. The rest of the services will take 1 hr 22 minutes.

http://www.virgintrains.com/img/abou...Commentary.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgin
2009 Timetable Commentary
Introduction
This commentary gives an overview of the timetable plans for 2009, which follow the principles outlined in the Department for Transport’s May 2006 Progress Report on the West Coast Main Line. The finer detail is being worked through, and we will share that at the earliest opportunity. It is also important that the finer detail is seen in the context of other operators’ timetables. It is our intention to share the detail as widely as possible when we are able to do so.
The commentary here is specifically about the weekday service on the West Coast route, and will we hope be useful. The timetable itself is just one part of the picture for 2009. There are other other strands of activity, including more than 4,000 more parking spaces at our stations. The majority of these are planned to be ready for the start of the new timetable. You will also be aware of the significant amount of engineering work Network Rail needs to complete to enable the 2009 timetable change to happen, and the effect this has on weekend and bank holiday services.

Euston – Preston / Carlisle / Glasgow / Edinburgh
• 13 Glasgow to Euston services and 13 Euston to Glasgow services operate. No Euston to Edinburgh service operates in either direction.
• The typical end-to-end journey time will be 4hrs 26 mins.
• The fastest train of the day is the 1630 Euston – Glasgow which completes the journey in 4hrs 10 mins. It is planned that this service will call at Preston only.
• An hourly service will operate throughout the day between London Euston and Preston with some additional services in the peaks. The fastest journey time is 2hrs.
• Trains depart from London Euston at xx30 past each hour with additional Euston – Glasgow trains in the evening peak at 1657 and 1757.
• The 1030,1230 and 1430 services from London Euston terminate at Lancaster.
• The majority of services run non stop between London Euston and Warrington Bank Quay, then call at Wigan North Western, Preston, Lancaster, Oxenholme or Penrith (generally alternate services call at one or the other), Carlisle then Glasgow Central.
• The 1430 Euston – Lancaster and 1737 Lancaster – Euston to be operated by class 221 Voyagers.
• Two northbound and one southbound service to call at Lockerbie.
• In the morning peak there is an 0535 departure from Lancaster (Class 221 Super Voyager) which couples to the 0447 Holyhead – Euston at Crewe.
• This is followed by a 0430 Glasgow – Euston service calling at Carlisle, Penrith, Oxenholme, Lancaster, Preston, Wigan and Warrington, then non stop to Euston.

Euston – Birmingham – Wolverhampton
• A 20 minute frequency throughout the day between Euston and Birmingham, with one train an hour running through to Wolverhampton.
• Typical off peak journey times are 1hr 22 mins from Birmingham New Street to London Euston and 1hr 47 mins from Wolverhampton to London Euston.
• A fast 0704 Wolverhampton to London Euston service is to operate calling at Sandwell and Dudley and Birmingham New St only. This service will run express from Birmingham New St to London Euston in 1hr 12 mins.
• A fast 0741 Birmingham International to London Euston service also operates calling at Coventry only.
• Off peak all services call at Birmingham International and Coventry - with services calling at either Rugby, Milton Keynes Central and Watford Junction to give Birmingham New Street a clockface hourly service to each.
• The 0510 and 0530 Birmingham – Euston and 2223 and 2343 Euston – Wolverhampton to be operated by class 221 Voyagers to avoid diesel hauling when services are diverted via Nuneaton.
• The 0510 Birmingham New St to London Euston and 2343 Euston – Birmingham services to be routed via Nuneaton.

Euston to Chester / Holyhead
• All services to be operated by class 221 Voyagers. An hourly service operates throughout the day between Euston and Chester calling at Milton Keynes Central and Crewe only. Typical journey times between London Euston and Chester are 2hrs.
• Holyhead services are generally formed of 2 x Voyagers between London Euston and Chester where the 1st set goes forward to Holyhead.
• Through services to / from North Wales operate at the following times:
447 Holyhead to London Euston
0550 Holyhead to London Euston
0650 Holyhead to London Euston
0850 Holyhead to London Euston
1217 Bangor to London Euston
1350 Holyhead to London Euston
2017 Bangor to Birmingham New St
0530 Birmingham New St to Holyhead
0810 London Euston to Bangor
0910 London Euston to Holyhead
1610 London Euston to Bangor
1710 London Euston to Holyhead
1810 London Euston to Holyhead
1910 London Euston to Holyhead

Euston to Manchester
• Services operate every 20 mins throughout the day.
• The xx00 ex London Euston services call at Stoke, Macclesfield and Stockport.
• The xx20 ex London Euston services call at Milton Keynes Central, Stoke and Stockport.
• The xx40 ex London Euston services call at Crewe, Wilmslow and Stockport.
• The xx15 ex Manchester Picc services call at Stockport, Stoke and Milton Keynes Central.
• The xx35 ex Manchester Picc services call at Stockport, Macclesfield and Stoke.
• The xx55 ex Manchester Picc services call at Stockport, Wilmslow and Crewe.
• Typical journey times are 2hrs 5 mins from London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly with the fastest train completing the journey in 1hr 58 mins.
• The fast “headline” train from Manchester will be the 0700 departure which will call at Stockport only.

Euston to Liverpool
• Services to operate hourly throughout the day at xx07 from Euston and at xx48 from Liverpool. Additional trains operate at 1733 and 1833 from London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street and at 0527, 0605 and 0700 from Liverpool Lime Street to London Euston.
• A new earlier train will operate from Euston to Liverpool Lime St at 0535 and the last train will be at 2107.
• A new late train will operate from Liverpool Lime St to London Euston departing at 2048 calling at Runcorn, Crewe, Stafford, Lichfield, Tamworth, Nuneaton, Rugby, Milton Keynes and Watford.
• Typical journey times are 2hrs 7 mins from Liverpool Lime Street to London Euston with the fastest train taking 2hrs 1 min. The fast “headline” train from Liverpool will be the 0700 departure which will call at Runcorn only.
• The standard calling pattern is at Stafford and Runcorn only.
Birmingham – Glasgow / Edinburgh
• As part of the revised franchise mapping, Virgin West Coast will take over the operation of the hourly Birmingham – Scotland via Preston services as follows. All trains to be worked by 221 Voyagers.
• Trains will operate hourly from Birmingham to Carlisle (departing at xx20 past each hour), continuing forward to either Edinburgh or Glasgow. All services will call at Wolverhampton, Crewe, Warrington, Wigan, Preston, Lancaster, (then either Oxenholme or Penrith) and Carlisle.
• Southbound services depart from Edinburgh at 2 hourly intervals departing xx52 and from Glasgow Central at 2 hourly intervals at xx00
• In addition a 0557 Crewe – Glasgow Central and a 2010 Glasgow Central – Crewe will operate.
• Intermediate stations between Preston and Carlisle, and also Lockerbie will be served by Manchester Airport – Glasgow / Edinburgh services operated by First TransPennine Express. An evening peak Virgin Trains departure from Glasgow Central will call at Lockerbie.
2009 Timetable Commentary
Further Information

Trent Valley
• Virgin West Coast services will call at Lichfield, Tamworth and Nuneaton only during the morning and evening peaks, and during the evening when Trent Valley local services do not operate.
• In between, an hourly London Euston to Crewe “West Midlands Franchise” class 350 “Desiro” stopping service will operate.
• Nuneaton is served by “Desiros” only during the off peak.
• Nuneaton calling VWC trains are:
04.55 Manchester Picc – London Euston
05.55 Manchester Picc – London Euston
04.47 Holyhead – London Euston
07.35 Manchester Picc – London Euston
19.48 Liverpool Lime St – London Euston
20.48 Liverpool Lime St – London Euston
17.10 London Euston – Holyhead
18.10 London Euston – Holyhead
19.07 London Euston – Liverpool Lime St
20.07 London Euston – Liverpool Lime St
21.07 London Euston – Liverpool Lime St
22.00 London Euston – Manchester Picc
• Lichfield and Tamworth calling VWC trains are:
05.34 Preston – London Euston
06.05 Liverpool Lime St – London Euston
20.48 Liverpool Lime St – London Euston
16.57 London Euston – Glasgow Central
17.57 London Euston – Glasgow Central
20.30 London Euston – Preston
22:00 London Euston – Manchester Picc
Crewe
• London Euston to Glasgow Central and Liverpool Lime Street services no longer call at Crewe. However, Crewe is still served by two trains an hour to/from London Euston (these being a Manchester and the Chester service).
• Customers from Crewe to Glasgow Central to travel by Virgin West Coast Birmingham – Glasgow services. Customers from Nuneaton and Stafford to Crewe and from Crewe to Liverpool Lime Street to travel by “West Midlands Franchise” services.
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #154
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Why has a thread about British Railways descended into a political discussion? It's a complete yawnfest and you could easily argue about it elsewhere.

The reason there isn't a high speed line in Britain (except for HS1) is because the government are short sighted morons that don't realise the benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5man View Post
Can we save politics for the skybar and get back on track.

Such as why Eurostar carriages look short in comparison to German ICEs?
Quote:
Because they are. They were designed for use on the classic lines out of London, and trains on these routes can only be 20m due to the curves and loading guage, whereas normally around the UK the standard is 23m. I'm not sure if that the only reason or the reason at all, but they are shorter.
Quote:
I think it was specifically beacuse they needed to operate over the North London lines.
The "TGV" family vehicles (of wich Eurostar is a member) use shorter cars suported by pairs tru a common bogie:

There are no "high speed" lines in britain because the "standard speed" lines are up to 125mph/201km/h so they sufice as fast railway routes ... and there are too many "upgradeable" routes to choose from for a "brand new" HSL to even be considerable as "doable" ... both in terms of economic cost of that construction and in terms of trying to bypass the "moronic" (no ofense here) and "predatorial" (take ofense here) local authorities/against-anything-groups along the way of the not-even-proposed-but-already-oposed route.

For the given example (London-Birmingham) ... out of 3 or four possible routes for a new HSL ... theres already a railway built in everyone of them ... and it's an "upgradeable" railway in every case.

Let me see how it is nowadays:

London-Bedford-Wigston-Nuneaton-(Coventry)-Birmingham
London-MiltonKeines-(Northampton)-Rugby-Coventry-Birmingham
London-Aylesbury-(closed railway)-...-Birmingham
London-H.Wycombe-Banbury-LeamingtonSpa-birmingham
London-Reading-Oxford-Banbury/Gloucester-Worcester-Birmingham

The fact that only one of these routes is being "upgraded" to 125mph (and one is even closed) should make some light on the matter.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #155
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

Well if they can be upgraded, they might as well to allow speeds of 300 km/h (186 mph) or greater. It would be good for the London 2012 games. The faster, the more attractive the option becomes.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #156
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 678

I think there is a growing industry consensus that with even conservative growth rates the main approaches to London are already full and more and more trains will see more standing passengers. The government has already had to perform a u-turn on electification as it's excuses not to electrify began to face ever greater ridicule.

Everyone knows that the first section of line will run from London to Birmingham. Most of the proposed routes all take a Western approach into London, because of the spare land running alonside the Central line, and link up with the newly expanded Trent Valley lines North of Birmingham. This section has been recently widened so should have a few years capacity still in it. All that differs on how they access Moor Street in Birmingham and how or whether they interface with Heathrow.

Conspiracy theorists (or realists) have suggested the sudden plethora of studies is a way to delay as long as possible the building of a new high speed line. The Department of transport was supposedly worried because the proposed HS2 line was gaining to much support too quickly, within the industry.

It's a long standing technique in the UK to string along a project, not wanting to to cancel a popular proposal but not actually commit any money to it. Most of the time it is quietly strangled, sometimes though it becomes to powerful to stop, and usually some deformed scheme lurches to life with so many changes, sometimes for the better, but often pared down in capacity to save money that as soon as it opens they have to start looking at upgrading it.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #157
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
For the given example (London-Birmingham) ... out of 3 or four possible routes for a new HSL ... theres already a railway built in everyone of them ... and it's an "upgradeable" railway in every case.

Let me see how it is nowadays:

London-Bedford-Wigston-Nuneaton-(Coventry)-Birmingham
London-MiltonKeines-(Northampton)-Rugby-Coventry-Birmingham
London-Aylesbury-(closed railway)-...-Birmingham
London-H.Wycombe-Banbury-LeamingtonSpa-birmingham
London-Reading-Oxford-Banbury/Gloucester-Worcester-Birmingham

The fact that only one of these routes is being "upgraded" to 125mph (and one is even closed) should make some light on the matter.
They are not upgradable for a couple of reasons (except the GWML). To upgrade them will bring forward the date when capacity runs out on the existing routes. Having faster long distance passenger services reduces the remaining capacity for other services, services which also are projected to expand. The only viable long term option is new lines, and as such they may as well be high speed. Also, as the West Coast Route Modernisation has proven to the industry, upgrading such heavily used lines is expensive and disruptive, for an outcome that isn't a breathtaking advance. 125mph is a welcome improvement on 100/110mph, but it the industry is now thinking that the £8bn could have been spent differently to more effect. Similar plans for the ECML seem to have been quietly shelved a few years ago.

Also - the Bedford - Nuneaton route is only used for freight, no passenger services go between these two stations, all passenger services from both stations go to Leicester and I'm not certain there would be a market otherwise. The MML is only capable of 125mph maximum with tilt if it were to be upgraded. The Chiltern line is not a high priority (except to the relevant TOC) and is being slowly upgraded anyway. Much more important than the routes you've quoted is the ECML and the GWML, and perhaps the south west - north east cross country route, and the trans-penine.

Last edited by elfabyanos; August 28th, 2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #158
Brilliant
Hmmmm Bacon

Likes (Received): 2

Some good news:

Quote:
Rail strategy plans track dualling in north west
Filed 01/09/08

Rail tracks in Carlisle are to be redoubled and Cumbrian coast train frequencies increased under plans contained within Network Rail's latest route utilisation strategy.

The Lancashire and Cumbria RUS sets out the forecast growth in population, employment and housing and estimates rail usage over the next 10-15 years setting out Network Rail's strategy to meet this demand. The publication, which will now be submitted to the Office of Rail Regulation, follows a three month consultation period with key stakeholders and additional analysis. The ORR has 60 days to consider this after which it will become an established strategy.

The strategy to increase peak capacity in the period 2009-2014 includes:

-Line speed improvements between Burnley and Hebden Bridge to shorten journey times on the Leeds-Blackpool route. The current speed limit of 45mph could be raised to at least 55mph and as much as 70mph where suitable

-Re-doubling of the tracks at London Road junction in Carlisle to improve performance of freight and passenger services on the Settle-Carlisle line

-More regular trains into Sellafield

-More regular train services between Preston and Ormskirk, and an improved service between Preston and Southport

-Sunday services from Carlisle to Whitehaven to increase from three to four a day

-Improving the Settle-Carlisle timetable to give a regular two-hourly service, with targeted additional services where passenger requirements and space in the timetable coincide

-The proposal to lengthen trains and platforms on the Manchester-Clitheroe line is already included in Network Rail’s Strategic Business Plan but it is now recommended that the peak time services between Manchester and Blackburn are extended to Clitheroe

-Minor alterations on Platforms 1 and 2 at Preston to improve passenger flow and ability to get connections. This would include relocating the buffet and staff accommodation from their present position to elsewhere on the platform, and improving passenger facilities

-For the period 2014 to 2019 Network Rail is proposing the resignalling scheme already planned for the Whitehaven-Maryport line should include a remodeling of the track layout in Maryport and the provision of an additional platform. The creation of a new Maryport signalling centre and the performance improvements that will bring may mean the possibility of running additional Sunday services.

Peter Strachan, route director for Network Rail said: "After a successful consultation process, I am convinced that we now have a robust and purposeful strategy for delivering a rail network in Lancashire and Cumbria that can handle the expected increase in use over the next decade or so. This is an exciting time for the rail industry. The changes ahead will improve the reliability, capacity and connectivity of routes across the north west."
Quote:
Alloa rail reopening success prompts extension study
Filed 01/09/08

The recent introduction of rail services to and from Alloa in Clackmannanshire has proved so successful that regional transport body SEStrans is to examine options for extending the service.

SEStrans - the South East Scotland Transport Partnership - intends to commission a feasibility study early next year investigating the possibility of running trains between Alloa and Edinburgh. The investigation will consider possible routes as well as options for funding the necessary infrastructure upgrades.

To reach Edinburgh, services from Alloa, which currently travel through Stirling to Glasgow Queen Street station, could run via Falkirk or alernatively be routed over the reopened freight line to Kincardine and on to Edinburgh via Dunfermaline and the Forth Bridge. It is understood this is SEStrans' preferred option.

The feasibility work will investigate the cost of improving infrastructure on the Dunfermaline route, including building a south-facing chord at Charlestown Junction, which would avoid the need for trains to reverse, and building passing loops between there and Alloa.

A spokesman for SEStrans said: "This is essentially about the possibility of restoring a passenger link across south east Scotland, which has been made more realistic by the recent Alloa–Kincardine project. There are a number of potential benefits."

Alloa railway station was reopened earlier this year after a 13-mile stretch of disused line between Stirling and Longannet Power Station in Kincardine was reinstated (Transport Briefing 19/05/08). Since its re-opening, the number of passengers using the service has exceeded the expectations of train operator First Scotrail, which said it has been carrying nearly 35,000 passengers a week.
Quote:
Network Rail picks Mace for Birmingham New St work
Filed 03/09/08

Construction services and engineering company Mace has been selected by Network Rail as delivery partner for the Gateway Plus project to overhaul and expand the concourse and platforms at Birmingham New Street station.

A member of staff at Mace confirmed the contract win this week ahead of an official announcement in a fortnight's time when Network Rail will reveal details of the companies that will be responsible for delivering the separate components of the £600m scheme, which will double passenger capacity at the West Midlands rail hub.

Balfour Beatty Management and Carillion are understood to have competed against Mace for the delivery partner role.

Work on the Gateway Plus project is scheduled to begin next year and will be split into two phases for completion in 2013. The station concourse will be doubled in size and platforms 8 and 9 - the station's busiest - will be widened. New escalators and lifts will be installed and the number of entrances to the station will be increased from two to five.

The scheme is being funded by the Department for Transport, the Department of Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform and the New Street Gateway Partnership - a consortium of local authority partners.
Quote:
Eurostar kicks off six-year train refurbishment programme
Filed 03/09/08

Cross-Channel train operator Eurostar is to embark on a major refurbishment of its high speed trainsets in an attempt to encourage more travellers to use the High Speed 1 rail link between London and Continental Europe.

The six-year overhaul programme is intended to improve the standard of carriage accommodation with cutting edge design that will help Eurostar lure passengers from airlines. The interiors of the company's 28 Class 273 trains, which were built in 1992 and have been operating services through the Channel Tunnel since 1994, are looking increasingly shabby alongside the recently opened St Pancras and Ebbsfleet International stations.

Eurostar has divided the refurbishment work into three lots focusing on concept design, manufacturing integration and fit out/delivery and is inviting expressions of interest from suppliers which feel they can handle one or more lots. For the concept design work Eurostar says it is "looking for a partner that can help us define the next generation of high speed rail travel, who has the breadth of knowledge to be able to address all the different facets of the brief, from customer insights, environmental concerns, service design, maintenance issues, cleaning regimes and statutory requirements to ultimately deliver a unique brand experience that is both aspirational for our travellers and ownable by Eurostar".

The remit of the integrator includes responsibility for ensuring that each interior component is produced in accordance with the selected design, on time and on budget. Concept and engineering designs must be validated by the manufacturing integrator, which must also take ownership of those designs, carrying out their own engineering designs if necessary.

Finally, the fit out/delivery work includes the management of all staff involved in this phase of the refurbishment and the supplier must be able to work at third party premises in parallel to the technical mid-life overhaul of the Eurostar fleet, which may be carried out in-house. Tenders for all three lots must be submitted by the end of this month.
Link.
http://www.transportbriefing.co.uk/
Brilliant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #159
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Great news about Birmingham New Street
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #160
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

The Eurostar trains were refurbished a few years ago, IIRC. I suppose that someone has now decided that it wasn't good enough.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
rail, railways