daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #1621
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
I don´t dislike it, but I wonder why every new big station everywhere (not just in the UK) HAS TO look like a ufo...
Not every station does that, for example Eccles has recently had a new station building installed as part of electrification works: http://www.freccles.org.uk/images/ne...ing_office.jpg
The new reading doesn't either http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image...gjanuary30.jpg

The thing is at New Street you're having shops and stuff on top of the new building but I can't really see the UFO look in any other of the new stations being done up.
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #1622
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Mulhouse??? I was there just yesterday and didn't notice it being anything particularly special. Particularly with everything being closed after 9 pm... The classically built station in Colmar is much nicer, I think.
Mulhouse is terrible. First stop after Basel and you really notice you're no longer in Switzerland...

I find UK stations quite nice, especially since there are so many old ones that are nevertheless in pretty good shape.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #1623
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Mulhouse??? I was there just yesterday and didn't notice it being anything particularly special. Particularly with everything being closed after 9 pm... The classically built station in Colmar is much nicer, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Mulhouse is terrible. First stop after Basel and you really notice you're no longer in Switzerland...
Mulhouse, terrible? Admitting that I also like Colmar station better, I do not think Mulhouse station is horrible at all. It´s Art Déco, although less flashy than Limoges-Bénédictins station (which I guess makes it look newer than it actually is). Limoges-Bénédictins is only 5 years older than Mulhouse station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I find UK stations quite nice, especially since there are so many old ones that are nevertheless in pretty good shape.
I agree about the old ones. London-Paddington, for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
Not every station does that, for example Eccles has recently had a new station building installed as part of electrification works: http://www.freccles.org.uk/images/ne...ing_office.jpg
The new reading doesn't either http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image...gjanuary30.jpg

The thing is at New Street you're having shops and stuff on top of the new building but I can't really see the UFO look in any other of the new stations being done up.
I know it doesn´t really look like a UFO, I was just generalizing a bit about new stations, which I find a bit soulless.
Compare any new station to Paddington or Liverpool Street, and I think you´ll understand what I mean.
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #1624
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20320

The new Birmingham New St station is going to be 100x better than the old one, with shops etc on top of it a traditional design was never really an option anyway.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #1625
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
The new Birmingham New St station is going to be 100x better than the old one,
This I acknowledge. Even if I find the new UFO-like stations a bit soulless, anything´s better than the 60s/70s/80s concrete horror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
with shops etc on top of it a traditional design was never really an option anyway.
I wasn´t claiming for a classic-looking station. I don´t dislike it, especially when compared to the old 60s/70s/80s building. In fact, big stations, these days, you build them with the shops right from the start.
Old December 9th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #1626
Manchester77

Quote:
Compare any new station to Paddington or Liverpool Street, and I think you´ll understand what I mean.
Liverpool Street now is nothing like what it was in the 80s. I remember using it when I was a child and thinking they ought to give it a good clean, well network southeast did that they basically rebuilt the station!
They went from this:
image hosted on flickr

Liverpool St Station by [email protected], on Flickr
To this (still being finished off):
image hosted on flickr

Liverpool St rebuilding nearly complete by [email protected], on Flickr
Finished Station:
image hosted on flickr

Liverpool Street. 30 Oct 2011. by Pete 1957, on Flickr

Quite ruthless really, in fact other than the roof over the platforms (roof over concourse was part of the 80s/90s refurb) the only Great Eastern part of the station left I think is the wall of the hotel and war memorial:
image hosted on flickr

Liverpool St Station by [email protected], on Flickr

Although the new building was tasteful in my opinion the demolition of old Liverpool Street (and Broad Street for that matter!) is a great loss

437.001 liked this post
Old December 11th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #1627
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26165

Cool video from Paddington:

dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #1628
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

Likes (Received): 2107

Clapham rail disaster: Memorial service held

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25349254

A two-minute silence has been held to remember 35 people who died in the Clapham rail crash 25 years ago.

The silence was held at 08:13 GMT the exact time the three-train collision happened close to Clapham Junction station in south London.

Survivors attended a service at the crash memorial site near the scene of the accident, which took place on 12 December 1988.

Survivor George Gillon, from London, said he was "one of the lucky ones".

On the day 71-year-old Mr Gillon was travelling from Hampshire in the third carriage of the London-bound Bournemouth train.

"I was one of the lucky ones," he said.

"A number of my friends on that train were killed."

A second memorial service was also held at the memorial site, which was attended by train drivers and representatives of their union, Aslef.

Prayers at the service mentioned the pupils of nearby Emanuel School, who helped treat the injured after the crash.

'Important lessons'
In 1988 two commuter trains carrying an estimated 1,300 passengers between them collided before Clapham Junction. A third empty train later ran into the wreckage killing some passengers who had survived the first crash.

Before the service, rail minister Baroness Kramer paid tribute to those who had lost their lives in the disaster.

"Important lessons have been learnt since then and Britain today has one of the safest rail networks in the world," she said.

"However, we must never become complacent. We must always make sure that safety remains the number one priority on our railways."
Black Watch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 01:16 AM   #1629
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

47818 at Singer
September 14th 2013

Probably one of my best railway photos.

437.001, TinyMusic liked this post
Old December 14th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #1630
Manchester77

First TrasnPennine Express has begun testing their new Class 350/4s over the newly electrified line via Eccles to Wigan. This marks the end of Phase One of the north west electrification program with another five to follow! There are currently 3 350/4s in the UK with the first service expected to be on the 30/12/13.
image hosted on flickr

First TPE 350402 & 350403 at Preston by Rorymacve Part II, on Flickr

Black Watch liked this post
Old December 14th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #1631
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

That livery looks similar to the one that the 350/1's carried when operated by Central Trains & Silverlink.

Quote:
Even if I find the new UFO-like stations a bit soulless, anything´s better than the 60s/70s/80s concrete horror.
Glasgow Queen Street is one of the worst in Scotland:

Hopefully, within the next few years, it'll look like this:
Old December 14th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1632
Manchester77

The livery on the new 350/4s is the London midland base livery (without the green vinyls)
Old December 15th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #1633
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Watch View Post
Glasgow Queen Street is one of the worst in Scotland:

Hopefully, within the next few years, it'll look like this:
Indeed...
Old December 15th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1634
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

I knew I wasn't dreaming when I first saw this:

APT passing Partick in 1985 on it's way to Exhibition Centre to work a special to Euston.

Source: http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/photo/scaled/331/

Manchester77, Swede liked this post
Old December 17th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1635
dimlys1994

Today official from Network Rail:

Quote:
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co...ment-1f5b.aspx

Network Rail responds to ONS reclassification announcement

Tuesday 17 Dec 2013

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has today announced a statistical change to its classification of Network Rail as a result of changes in European accounting guidelines.

As a result, Network Rail's debt, around £30bn, is to be reclassified as public sector debt for the purpose of government statistics. These new guidelines and the resulting reclassification come into effect on 1st September 2014.

This reclassification of Network Rail as a central government body is a statistical decision that does not alter the company's structure as a not-for-dividend company, limited by guarantee, with Members rather than shareholders. The business acts and operates today as it did yesterday, and its job of delivering a safe, reliable and improving railway for four million daily users continues.

Network Rail and the DfT have also published today a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that gives some more detail of how they will work together to ensure that the company's business continues as usual. The MoU also acknowledges that some small changes will be necessary as the company becomes accountable to parliament for its finances. At least initially, the company will continue to raise debt to fund its ongoing investment programme whilst the longer term funding options are considered.

Critically, for example, the company will retain the commercial freedom to work collaboratively with train operators and suppliers in delivering sustainable improvements in the railway under the well established regulatory framework that provides stability of funding through the five year regulatory review process.
Old December 17th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #1636
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Stafford's (on the West Coast Mainline) Signal Box.

image hosted on flickr

Stafford No. 4 Signal Box, 2 by LowdhamGPR, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Stafford No. 5 Signal Box, 6 by LowdhamGPR, on Flickr

And one that was close to me before removal in September 2013, being Ystrad Mynach:-
image hosted on flickr

Ystrad Mynach South 12 by LowdhamGPR, on Flickr

Manchester77 liked this post
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #1637
Manchester77

Proper signalling free of computers! Similar to Stockport 2 which I always get a good look at on my way in/out!
Old December 18th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #1638
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCleverly View Post
Stafford's (on the West Coast Mainline) Signal Box.
Nice ! Is this a SAXBY frame ?
And do you know the color meanings for the levers (like white = switch, red =
stop signal, blue = distant signal, etc) ?

Many thanks !

Marc.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #1639
Manchester77

Normally white is disused, red signal, blue points I think
Old December 19th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1640
dimlys1994

Today on Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...n-project.html

Siemens outsources signalling project design
19 Dec 2013

Whitby station, which is served by franchised operator Northern Rail as well as the heritage North Yorkshire Moors Railway (Photo: NYMR).

UK: Siemens has appointed Indian company Infotech to undertake the signalling design work for a project to increase capacity at Whitby station, which is served by franchised operator Northern Rail as well as the heritage North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

The signalling contract awarded to Siemens in October covers design, supply, installation, testing and commissioning, with completion scheduled for May 2014.

'Although we have worked closely with Infotech for over seven years, previously we have outsourced only selected elements of design work', said Siemens Delivery Director Rob Cairns on December 12. 'However, given the company's proven track record, we took the decision to place the whole of the design work to the Hyderabad-based team for this project.

'With an increasing demand for design services forecast throughout Network Rail's Control Period 5, it is likely that this will be the first of many such schemes to be handled by Infotech, as we look to increase our total design capacity through the partnership arrangement,' he added.

'Outsourcing design work in this way is assured by the quality and thoroughness of the scoping work provided by our UK teams, ensuring that all design outputs are in accordance with UK standards and working practices'.
Whitby station is on Esk Valley line and has single track. But Network Rail announced reinstallation of the second track by next year. What about North Yorkshire Moors Railway, it's well known that on Goathland station Harry Potter films were filmed. These photos from Wikipedia:

Last edited by dimlys1994; December 21st, 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Tags
rail, railways