daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #1641
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

How many of the defunct UK railway lines (most of them closed and usually removed in 1960's - 70's as the result of dr. Beeching's cuts) have later been reinstated? I suppose it's a very insignificant number, am I right?

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #1642
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu01 View Post
How many of the defunct UK railway lines (most of them closed and usually removed in 1960's - 70's as the result of dr. Beeching's cuts) have later been reinstated? I suppose it's a very insignificant number, am I right?
Airdrie-Bathgate, Borders railway line (under construction), Kincardine line, a couple branches in Greater Glasgow. And that's just Scotland from the last few years. Currently the St. Andrews line and a Dunfermline line are being considered too
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #1643
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

Likes (Received): 2107

Quote:
The Glasgow Central Railway (the future Argyle Line) was one of them. The section between Maryhill Central & Finnieston was never reopened, although the tunnels are still there.
Black Watch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 03:20 PM   #1644
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Nice ! Is this a SAXBY frame ?
And do you know the color meanings for the levers (like white = switch, red =
stop signal, blue = distant signal, etc) ?
I've no idea, sorry.

Quote:
There's no numbers involved as to how many miles of track, but a Campaign for Better Transport 'mini-booklet' produced last year may give you a vague idea as to what's going on.

Campaign for Better Transport - Reopening Transport link
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:42 PM   #1645
Crownsteler

Likes (Received): 474

In the thread about the Dutch railways there was some discussion about electrification in the UK. I know they are electrifying the routes between Liverpool and Manchester, as well as planning to electrify the line from London to Penzance.
Now I was just wondering, how are things coming along, and are there other electrifition projects?
Crownsteler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:47 PM   #1646
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Schematic map of all passenger-service British rails

This is an interesting map (PDF link). It shows with all passenger rail and shows the TOC that run trains over each of them

(Zoom in for legibility)
Old December 23rd, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1647
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crownsteler View Post
In the thread about the Dutch railways there was some discussion about electrification in the UK. I know they are electrifying the routes between Liverpool and Manchester, as well as planning to electrify the line from London to Penzance.
Now I was just wondering, how are things coming along, and are there other electrifition projects?
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/publica...-plan-for-cp5/

CP5 will see many electrification projects begin and be completed, North Western electrification Phase One is complete and from 30/12/13 350/4s will begin operating along the new wires via Newton Le Willows. Greater Western electrification is from Paddington along the Thames Valley lines to Bristol and South Wales to name a few. Penzance is not being wired and will continue to be served by the existing HST sets whereas the rest of the InterCity network on GW will be served by 800s and 801s
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 06:59 PM   #1648
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20304

The Valley Lines commuter routes into Cardiff are also seeing some electrification I think.

Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1649
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Render of new Bromsgrove station:

And this is Bromsgrove station now. Photo from Wikipedia:

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #1650
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Hi, I read that there are plans to electrify the Hurst Green-Uckfield and Ashford-Ore lines. They are in the third rail region, but there are also plans to convert all of it to 25 kV AC. Any news on that? Would these two lines be directly electrified at 25 kV AC, even if the conversion of the other lines might not happen for decades?

Maps:

http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/...ondon-area.gif

http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/...tish-isles.gif

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1651
Manchester77

Conversion of the southern region won't happen for many more years, in CP5 network rail are intending to convert Bournemouth to Southampton to 25kV AC as part of the electric spine works. Most of the new southern region stock (375-378, 444, 450) have pantograph wells built in for easy conversion. I'd imagine that the two lines you've mentioned would either remain diesel, operating using 171s or be electrified in the standard manor and could use 377/5s for example to replace the 171s which would be cascaded onto other parts of the network.
Old December 29th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #1652
Coccodrillo

Thank you. I rememebr also having read that some third rail equipment is old, so that replacing it with AC overhead could be worth it. Similarly for 1.5 kV DC in southern France (ageing electrical infrastructure to be replaced anyway), although in France there would be far less clearance problems (high voltage AC still requires some more clearance, but not as much as converting from third rail).

Quote:
be electrified in the standard manor
...which is 25 kV, right? (third rail is the standard in this region, 25 kV AC is the standard for entirely new electrifications worldwide)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old December 29th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #1653
Manchester77

Yes, while in previous reports from the 50s, which first recommended the use of 25kV the 3rd rail 660/750DC for southern, Network Rail and the DoT have identified they wish to replace this system stating its outdated and inefficient since something like 40% of the energy is lost through heat as well as being a bit awkward with lots of 12 car trains on one route (hence substation upgrades in CP4 for the SW)
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #1654
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

It may be worth you reading this from Network Rail

2009 Electrification Strategy: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browseD...ion%20Strategy

2012 update: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browseD...tion%20Refresh
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #1655
Coccodrillo

Thank you, the answer to my question is in your links:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%...rification.pdf page 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Hi, I read that there are plans to electrify the Hurst Green-Uckfield and Ashford-Ore lines. They are in the third rail region, but there are also plans to convert all of it to 25 kV AC. Any news on that? Would these two lines be directly electrified at 25 kV AC, even if the conversion of the other lines might not happen for decades?
Quote:
6. Options
Table 6.1 – Options to address type A gaps
Gap A1.1
Ashford to Ore
Option A1.1
Electrify Ashford to Ore with DC electrification. Convert Brighton to Ashford service to electric traction.
Gap A2.1
Uckfield to Hurst Green
Option A2.1
Electrify Uckfield to Hurst Green with DC electrification. Convert Uckfield to London service to electric traction.
Gap A3.1
Wokingham to Ash and Shalford to Reigate
Option A3.1
Electrify Wokingham to Ash and Shalford to Reigate with DC electrification. Convert Reading to Gatwick Airport and Reading to Redhill local services to electric traction.

Old January 2nd, 2014, 02:30 PM   #1656
dimlys1994

Official from Network Rail:

Quote:
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co...lway-1f74.aspx

Record-breaking festive rail investment programme delivers bigger, better railway
Thursday 2 Jan 2014

A record-breaking programme of upgrades to Britain’s rail network was successfully completed over the Christmas and New Year period, providing new tracks, new and longer platforms, new lifts and footbridges at stations, upgraded signalling equipment and electrification equipment to allow cleaner, faster electric trains to run.

At more than £100m, the festive investment programme was the biggest ever carried out by Network Rail and was planned in conjunction with train operators to minimise the impact on passengers during what is traditionally one of the quietest periods for rail travel.

Hundreds of engineers from Network Rail and its suppliers worked the equivalent of more than 600,000 hours at more than 100 locations across Britain over the period, often in extremely difficult weather conditions.

Highlights of the work completed include:
  • A new platform, track and signalling equipment at Gatwick Airport station. Around 1300m of track was laid, a 50m footbrige was renewed and 250m new platform, complete with a new lift, escalators and high-level walkway to the station was completed.
  • Commissioning of new signalling equipment at Peterborough, part of a wider project to relieve a major bottleneck on the East Coast Main Line which includes a new track layout, longer platforms, station bridges, extensions and new lifts (completion March 2014).
  • Electrification work at Manchester Victoria, which saw 400m of track lowered and 1300 tonnes of spoil removed to create additional headroom for overhead power lines so electric trains can run from Manchester to Liverpool starting in December.
  • Installation of a new rail bridge in Ipswich, part of a 1.1km stretch of new railway connecting the East Suffolk Line and Great Eastern Main Line to increase rail capacity to the port of Felixstowe (completion March 2014).
  • A major ugrade of Gravesend station is scheduled for completion on Sunday 5 January as planned. The upgrade includes a new platform and will allow longer 12-car trains to call at the station for the first time, providing more seats and extra space for passengers. There will also be improved facilities including a new footbridge and lifts to all platforms (completion May 2014).
A Network Rail spokesperson said: “Passengers and businesses are really seeing the benefits of sustained investment in the railway, with new and longer platforms, better stations and more capacity for extra passenger and freight services. The work carried out this Christmas and New Year period is part of our plan for a bigger, better railway and means the industry can cater for the continuing growth in demand for rail travel.”
Also the article's pictures. This one at Manchester Victoria:

Brighton Main Line:

And Peterborough station:

WELL DONE BRITTS!
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:28 PM   #1657
dimlys1994

Today:

Quote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25576100

Thameslink train hits roof at London's Blackfriars Station
2 January 2014

An investigation has been launched after part of a train hit the roof of London's Blackfriars station.

It is not yet known how the carriage's pantograph - which connects the train to the overhead lines - came to hit the roof of the central London station.

The Thameslink train to Sevenoaks crashed at about 09.55 GMT. No-one was injured and the train has been removed.

Southeastern, which runs the service on First Capital Connect trains, said it was investigating the crash.

Passengers who were on the train, which had left St Albans at 08:58, were able to use their tickets on London Underground services to continue their journeys.

First Capital Connect said there were delays of up to 45 minutes on the line as a result of the crash.

437.001 liked this post
Old January 2nd, 2014, 06:06 PM   #1658
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9996

The Thamselink route operates trains between lines using overhead power (North of Farringdon) and electric 3rd rail (South of it), The driver must have forgotten to pull down the pantograph (or it malfunctioned), hence the crash.
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 06:42 PM   #1659
Manchester77

The media are truly pathetic at reporting railway matters, we've got London papers blaming the driver really only the BBC have reported the facts. We don't know what happened so people jumping on the driver band wagon must know something everyone else doesn't know. OHLE extends from Bedford to City Thameslink where if the pantograph cannot be lowered the train can terminate. This was commissioned a few years ago to prevent the service being suspended to rescue a train that cannot switch over at farringdon. I should also point out that 'at stations like farringdon and Drayton park you need to be able to draw from both shoes and pan to leave the station as when you put the pan up the shoes are still on the 3rd rail. An alarm goes off in the cab to warn you however.' 'However, if it did not hit anything after leaving City Thameslink (Apothecary Junction) it should have lowered automatically by the time it reached Blackfriars (Automatic Dropping Device). If the pantograph only got damaged by Blackfriars roof then there had to be an ADD fault on the unit.' - some quotes about the stock off RailUK

To sum up our media I think this post hits the nail on the head:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmorris0844 View Post
You can be sure that whatever the truth, the anti-FCC brigade will be adding this to their list of reasons why FCC are crap and should be stripped of the franchise etc.

Metro has written: "The apparatus seems to have not been lowered at Farringdon station before it went straight into the ceiling at Blackfriar’s station on Thursday morning."
Which is stupid. It's bloody obvious it wasn't lowered as you only need to look at the photo. How dumb to try and be vague on this, yet not mention anywhere that it's not clear if it was a train fault or driver error.
All it means is that people will jump to one conclusion - driver error. Case closed...

Meanwhile London24 has gone with:
"The First Capital Connect service blocked the southbound lane after the driver raised the pantograph and hit the ceiling."
So definitely the driver at fault from their detailed investigation.

Only the BBC actually saw fit to write:
"It is not yet known how the carriage's pantograph - which connects the train to the overhead lines - came to hit the roof of the central London station."
Maybe the BBC should have asked Kate Nelson at London24! She obviously has the inside scoop.
So shall we wait for the RAIB to do their work before we go accusing people?

dimlys1994, 3737 liked this post
Old January 2nd, 2014, 06:51 PM   #1660
dimlys1994

I agree with that. Don't accuse someone, until you'll find the evidence

Tags
rail, railways