daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #1681
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

Likes (Received): 2107

It was gradual. The first section of standard gauge appeared in the mid 1850s. The last section of Brunel's broad gauge was converted to standard gauge in 1892 over a single weekend.

437.001 liked this post
Black Watch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #1682
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26165

Today:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...e-of-life.html

Cambridge Science Park station to incorporate Game of Life
13 Jan 2014

UK: Construction of a new station to serve the Cambridge Science Park in the Chesterton area of north Cambridge is due to get underway shortly, following the granting of planning approval last month. Opening is planned for December 2015.

Around 3 000 passengers/day are predicted to the use the station, which will have two through platforms and a bay platform. Access to the station will include pedestrian routes as well as an extension of the guided busway, a taxi drop-off area, a 450-space car park and parking for 1 000 bicycles.

Atkins has provided full multidisciplinary design services to Cambridgeshire County Council, which is funding the station and will recover its investment through access charges paid by train operators. 'We've worked together to create a landmark building which will help transform the area and provide a platform for economic growth', said Atkins director Stan Doyle. 'Our design puts the passenger experience first, whilst acknowledging Cambridge's leading role in the development of science and technology.'

A key design feature is a perforated pattern in the cladding which is derived from John Horton Conway's 'Game of Life', a cellular automaton or mathematical model which he developed at the University of Cambridge. According to Atkins, 'the Game of Life and the diamond motif run across the building and the landscaping providing a module for the development, further enforcing the notions of emergence and self-organisation key to Conway's work.'
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #1683
dimlys1994

Official from Network Rail:

Quote:
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co...lopm-1f85.aspx

Views sought as architects unveil first draft images of Peckham Rye’s multi-million pound redevelopment
Tuesday 14 Jan 2014

The next step towards a £25m revamp of the area around Peckham Rye railway station begins on Saturday, with the first chance for residents and rail users to see the latest design proposals at a public consultation event.

Network Rail, Southwark Council and the Greater London Authority are working together on the plan with the award-winning architects Weston Williamson and Partners

The event on Saturday 18 January follows an initial consultation which helped form the designs now being created. Feedback from the many people who have taken part in the process so far revealed a great deal of enthusiasm for a new square in front of the station. That and other views are being taken into account and anyone who cannot attend the event on Saturday will have other opportunities to comment on the proposals.

Network Rail’s director of planning and land services, Tom Higginson, said: “With improved services to Peckham Rye station now running, we’ve got the perfect opportunity to invest in the station area with Southwark Council. We, and our partners, will be listening to the people of Peckham in drawing up a plan to benefit the area and help boost existing and new business.”

Cllr Fiona Colley, Southwark Council’s Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Corporate Strategy, said: "I'm sure, like me, many people living or working in and around Peckham will be really excited to see the architects' initial proposals for the transformation of Peckham Rye station and the surrounding area.

“This long-awaited redevelopment has the potential to dramatically improve people's experience of visiting or doing business in Peckham town centre, and I hope lots of local people will take advantage of the opportunity to influence these exciting plans."

The proposed redesign will include a new square in front of the Grade 2 listed building, which has been hidden for many years. The aim will be to make the buildings and spaces that surround the station cleaner, safer and more useful for both residents and station visitors. This will add to the wider improvements already taking place at the station, including new lifts and ticket machines.

Weston Williamson’s architect said: “We very much look forward to presenting and discussing the design with the community at the forthcoming consultation events and receiving feedback on the proposals for this significant project at the very heart of Peckham.”
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #1684
dimlys1994

Plus:

Quote:
http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2014...ilway-station/

Crossrail to demolish North Woolwich Railway Station
JANUARY 14, 2014
BY IAN MANSFIELD

Within the next week or two, Crossrail will sweep away the the long abandoned railway station that once marked the terminus of the North London Line railway.

Opened in June 1847, this Grade 2 listed grandeur is, fortunately, not what I am talking about.

No, the station being demolished is its 1979 replacement, a rather insipid steel construction sat beside its much grander predecessor.

They need to demolish it as right underneath will be one of the numerous side tunnels that will link the two separate railway lines for staff to hop between lines on a good day, and passengers to be evacuated on a bad one.

As a result, they need to drill a series of boreholes and pumping grout into the ground through which the cross passage is to be constructed.

Rather oddly that late 1970s building reminds me of King’s Cross — an ugly shed stuck next to a much grander Victorian building. Although at least this time, the ugly shed didn’t despoil the stone building, which was for a while a modest railway museum.

I visited a few years ago when it was a museum with a number of friends, and I don’t think the manager had ever seen so many people such was his excitement at our arrival.

Today the building lies empty, and while I am not aware of any specific plans for it, my personal best guess is that it will be turned into a pub.

It’s too close to the ferry for conversion into flats, with large lorries, buses and cargo going past the front door.

It is however next to a gentrifying area, and a short walk under the river from Woolwich Arsenal. I would wager good money that a number of pub chains are keeping an eye on it for when Crossrail move on.

Talking of moving, Crossrail’s tunnel boring machine is approaching the North Woolwich portal, and should break through in the next couple of weeks as well, to be followed by the second tunnel in April.

The portal, basically a slope down to the tunnels has been built on top of the old North London Line (ex Silverlink), and over the past couple of years, much of that old railway has been resurfaced and a new high wall built alongside to deflect some of the noise from local residents.

Incidentally, it’s outside the Thames Barrier protection zone, so the walls also had to be high enough to act as flood protection barriers.

A gap in the line at the moment for road traffic gives an opportunity to see the flat expanse of empty concrete waiting for fresh railway tracks to be laid.

The long snaking line of concrete runs up to the Victorian Connaught Tunnel, which is now sealed off by a huge mound of soil as they continue the fit out inside.

Finally, if you are a North Woolwich resident, there will be a chance to see the TBM up close in February. Those who get their local newsletter should get the details shortly, or copies are pasted on some local notice boards along the route.
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #1685
dimlys1994

Today:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/p...announced.html

InterCity East Coast franchise shortlist announced
17 Jan 2014

UK: The Department for Transport announced the shortlisted bidders for the InterCity East Coast passenger franchise on January 17.
  • East Coast Trains Ltd (FirstGroup plc);
  • Keolis/Eurostar East Coast Ltd (Keolis (UK) Ltd and Eurostar International Ltd);
  • Inter City Railways Ltd (Stagecoach Transport Holdings Ltd and Virgin Holdings Ltd).
DfT plans to issue invitations to tender at the end of February, with bidders having at least three months to develop their proposals. The new operator would take over the services linking London to Yorkshire, northeast England and Scotland in February 2015.

DfT said bidders would need to consider how they intend to use the future IEP trainsets to be supplied by the Agility Trains consortium, and 'capitalise on the significant government investment along this route, including £240m in infrastructure projects over the next five years to improve capacity and reduce journey times.'

'When these companies are developing their proposals they should be looking at ways to innovate and grow the service', said Transport Minister Stephen Hammond. 'We have embarked on one of the biggest programmes of rail investment ever, with over £35bn being spent to enhance and run our rail network over the next five years. But for our railways to continue to grow we need strong private sector partners who can invest and innovate in ways that deliver a world class service.'

Last edited by dimlys1994; January 17th, 2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #1686
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

The Virgin/Stagecoach joint bid is different to the management of the ICWC franchise. While on WC it's 49% Stagecoach and 51% Virgin the EC team is 90% Stagecoach with just 10% Virgin allowing the use of the virgin brand and stagecoach management

dimlys1994 liked this post
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #1687
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Whatever happens, First Group cannot win this contract, they've done such an abysmal job on so many of their franchises.
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #1688
Manchester77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Whatever happens, First Group cannot win this contract, they've done such an abysmal job on so many of their franchises.
Definitely like the horrible Pullman service on FGW, replacing the entire TPE fleet with new stock and the extensive refurbishment of the decrepit ex-Wessex stock (because National Express missed C6 overhauls for cost cutting) to name a few of the abysmal things they've done.

I suspect you've based this comment on FCC which is stark contrast to TPE which is completely different to FGW. Look at Arriva and how different the service provided by Chiltern is compared to XC compared to ATW. I look forward to seeing who wins, it will be interesting as one suspects it would effect other franchises.

On a franchising note I hope GoVia win the TSGN contract, as that will probably retain the Southern brand which is a good brand since it's a modern version if the old Southern Rail branding.
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #1689
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
Definitely like the horrible Pullman service on FGW, replacing the entire TPE fleet with new stock and the extensive refurbishment of the decrepit ex-Wessex stock (because National Express missed C6 overhauls for cost cutting) to name a few of the abysmal things they've done.

I suspect you've based this comment on FCC which is stark contrast to TPE which is completely different to FGW.
It's been some three years since I last visited the UK, but I remember the awful airplane style seats on the FGW HSTs only due to the high passenger usage between Reading and Paddington. The result is a very cramped car that feels small and dark.

The good thing I remember was that I was on a experimental car with LCDs for all seats (which wouldn't be possible for a back to front seat arrangement), but I found weird that it showed the current altitude but not time.

What is the situation regarding these aspects today?
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #1690
Manchester77

FGW have all HSTs operating in 2+8 formation with low density and high density sets. The seats are the same used on EMTs 158s which are very comfortable to travel from Manchester down to Norwich on. The TV coaches are still in existence, if you're interested Modern railways did an article about them several months back, it's still available on the app.

FGW have recently signed a new direct award contract until 2016 (following the ICWC **** up) and will be converting one first class coach on their HSTs to standard to cope with growing passenger demands, this is an increase of something like 78 standard seats which is a good thing. This all coincides with the HSTs going for C6 overhauls which will probably be the last they have before they are replaced by 800s and 801s in the coming years
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #1691
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post

I suspect you've based this comment on FCC which is stark contrast to TPE which is completely different to FGW. Look at Arriva and how different the service provided by Chiltern is compared to XC compared to ATW. I look forward to seeing who wins, it will be interesting as one suspects it would effect other franchises.

On a franchising note I hope GoVia win the TSGN contract, as that will probably retain the Southern brand which is a good brand since it's a modern version if the old Southern Rail branding.
I've only really experienced FCC and FGW, and I have to say that both of those experiences are pretty sub par, with tired interiors, a total disregard for keeping the trains clean, often delayed due to ridiculous things like the drivers not turning up (standby driver???).

FCC is essentially a commuter cattle wagon operator, but that doesn't excuse the disgusting, often graffiti'd interiors. FGW is generally better, but still far below excellence.
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #1692
Manchester77

As I said just because they have the same parent company doesn't make them all the same; FGW operate a better service on lots of the Cornish branches even though at the beginning of the 2006 Greater Western franchise they weren't obliged to do so. My experience of First Rail is FTPE which are very good, clean trains and while they may be crowded at least I know things are being done about it: much like FCC and FWG (700s and 80Xs respectively)
Old January 20th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #1693
dimlys1994

Published today:

Quote:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7345

First new platforms of rebuilt London Bridge Station take shape
Monday 20 January 2014

The new platform and canopy sections (bottom right) have taken shape in recent weeks

The entrance to the new ground-level concourse (bottom left) will sit under the raised section of the platform canopy

A worker attached to a harness studies plans whilst standing on top of the new canopy

The first sections of the new-look London Bridge Station are beginning to take shape.

Over the past few weeks the new platforms 13, 14 and 15 of London Bridge Station have been assembled as precast concrete sections and prefabricated steel canopies have been lifted into place.

Passengers have had their first glimpse of the new undulating canopies which will run the full length of each platform.

The rebuilding project began on the St Thomas Street side of the station and will gradually work its way towards Tooley Street.

Before demolition work began the station had nine platforms for terminating trains and six for trains continuing towards Blackfriars, Cannon Street and Charing Cross.

When the new station is completed in 2018 there will be nine platforms for through trains and just six for services which have London Bridge as their destination.

To allow the tracks to be reconfigured, from January 2015 Charing Cross services will not be able to stop at London Bridge until August 2016, and then Cannon Street services won't stop until early 2018.

Train operator Southeastern has now published outline plans for its revised timetable during these works and is inviting comments from passengers before a final decision is made by the Department for Transport.

Manchester77, 437.001 liked this post
Old January 21st, 2014, 05:30 PM   #1694
dimlys1994

Mock-up of train for Thameslink services from Siemens is on its way to London and will be presented on 29th January at ExCel in Docklands:

Plus this train is going to be presented at some Thameslink stations:

Quote:
http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...meslink-train/

New train roadshow

After the public showcase, the Thameslink Programme team will then be taking a model of the new train to a station near you on these dates, all from 3.30pm-8pm:

Roadshow dates (3.30-8pm)* Station
Monday 3 February St Pancras International
Tuesday 4 February King's Cross
Wednesday 5 February Blackfriars
Thursday 6 February London Bridge

Monday 10 February City Thameslink
Tuesday 11 February Bedford
Wednesday 12 February St Albans
Thursday 13 February West Hampstead

(Half term)

Monday 24 February Peterborough
Tuesday 25 February Cambridge
Wednesday 26 February Stevenage
Thursday 27 February Hitchin

Monday 3 March Brighton
Tuesday 4 March East Croydon
Wednesday 5 March Wimbledon
Thursday 6 March Luton

Monday 10 March King's Cross
Tuesday 11 March City Thameslink
Wednesday 12 March Gatwick Airport
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:27 PM   #1695
dimlys1994

Draft design for Peckham Rye station area redevelopment. This is now with locals' comments:

And this is what will look like:

Swede liked this post
Old January 27th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #1696
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6980

Has anyone a listing of all companies operated in UK with their main figures (turn-over, nb of passengers ...) ?

Here maps ok UK network. But no maps by operators. Has anyone a such map ?

Quote:
Maps of the National Rail network

Download geographic and schematic maps of areas, routes and station interchanges for mainland UK, including ferry and airport connections.
National Rail Network Map by National Rail
Official National Rail diagrammatic network map showing routes on the National Rail network, including ferry and airport links.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/statio...ions/maps.aspx

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #1697
dimlys1994

Today on Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...t-awarded.html

Edinburgh - Glasgow electrification design contract awarded
28 Jan 2014

UK: The public version of the final business case for the Edinburgh - Glasgow Improvement Programme was published by Transport Scotland on January 27, when infrastructure manager Network Rail announced that Costain and Morgan Sindall had been awarded five-month alliancing contracts worth £5m to define the detailed scope, programme and target prices for EGIP.

In July 2012 Transport Scotland had announced a phased approach to EGIP, based a review undertaken by Jacobs to reduce costs from initial proposals. The £650m first phase has subsequently been amended to include more extensive redevelopment of Glasgow Queen Street station including track remodelling, costing £120m. This takes the overall cost of the first phase to around £742m, including £126m of optimism bias and contingency.

Costain and Morgan Sindall are to undertake detailed planning for the largest element of EGIP, covering 25 kV 50 Hz electrification of 156 track-km on the Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh Waverley route via Falkirk High as well as clearance works at Winchburgh Tunnel, infrastructure works at Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Waverley stations and platform extensions at Croy, Falkirk High, Polmont and Linlithgow.

Network Rail expects to award the main civil engineering and electrification contract worth around £250m this summer, with completion planned for 2016.

Off-peak journey times between Edinburgh and Glasgow would be around 42 min following completion of the first phase, with capacity for four trains/h. A second phase of EGIP from 2025 could increase capacity to six trains/h, reduce journey times to 37 min and provide a connection to the future Edinburgh Gateway station.
Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...rtnership.html

DfT agrees Rail North devolution partnership
28 Jan 2014

UK: The Department for Transport has agreed a partnership to begin the process of devolving more responsibility for specifying and managing passenger services to local authorities in the north of England.

The agreement, announced by the Rail North group of 33 local authorities following a meeting with Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin in Manchester on January 24, paves the way for a more collaborative approach to managing local rail services. Initially, Rail North and DfT will collaborate on the design of the next Northern and TransPennine Express franchises, which between them account for most regional services in the local authority areas covered. The refranchising competition for both Northern and TransPennine Express is expected to begin in the middle of this year, with a view to the next franchise terms starting in February 2016.

DfT and Rail North will then work to create ‘a single integrated partnership structure’ to manage the two franchises, and develop ‘inclusive decision-making structures’ that will ‘inform and set the future direction for rail development in the north’.

‘I am pleased to have agreed further details with Rail North regarding our partnership to run rail services in the north of England for the benefit of passengers and taxpayers’, said McLoughlin. ‘I am determined to give local people a greater say in running their railways and this will make sure they are at the heart of these decisions. Officials will now work hard to take these proposals forward as we get set for the competitions for the Northern and TransPennine franchises.’
Old January 28th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #1698
dimlys1994

Today official from Network Rail:

Quote:
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co...-Cup-1fa9.aspx

£5.2m Twickenham station improvements in time for 2015 Rugby World Cup
Monday 27 Jan 2014

Passengers will benefit from a range of improvements at Twickenham station, to be delivered in time for the Rugby World Cup.

The Network Rail and South West Trains Alliance has announced it will carry out the work at the station in time for the tournament in 2015.

As well as step-free access between the ticket office and platforms and there will also be improvements to the facilities, including new accessible toilets, improvements to the existing toilets, resurfaced platforms, new lighting and a new footbridge – to replace the existing concrete structure.

In addition, Platform 2 will have a greater area set aside for the public to help cope with the growing number of passengers who use the station during stadium events.

A total of £5.2m will be invested in Twickenham station using funding from the Network Rail and South West Trains Alliance, the government’s National Station Improvement Programme and a £1.6m contribution from the Greater London Authority via Richmond Council.

Sam McCarthy, commercial director for the Network Rail and South West Trains Alliance, said: “Twickenham is used by more than five million passengers every year and these much-needed improvements will help the station cope with this ever-increasing number of commuters and visitors passing through Twickenham.

“The station will be improved in time for the Rugby World Cup and will help create a better first impression for fans as they make their way to the stadium. There will also be longer-term benefits for passengers and commuters who use the station every day and those who will attend future sporting and social events at Twickenham.

“It has been a lengthy process to get to this stage and we have worked closely with Richmond Council to deliver these benefits. We will continue to consider further ways to improve the station as part of our ongoing commitment to deliver a better railway for our passengers.”

Other benefits that will be delivered as part of the investment include repainting the footbridge that links Mary’s Terrace to Cole Park Road, and refurbishing the canopies over the platforms.

Work is due to start on site in May 2014 and be completed by May 2015.

The Solum scheme designed to deliver a new station and improved public realm will commence after the world cup.
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #1699
Manchester77

New Thameslink Class 700s Unveiled
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...train-unveiled
Quote:
The state-of-the-art train that will transform rail travel into and across London, boost the economy and generate thousands of jobs throughout the UK was unveiled by Rail Minister Stephen Hammond today (28 January 2014). The government’s £6.5 billion Thameslink programme will create up to 8,000 jobs as part of the deal to build 1,140 carriages and to complete the wider infrastructure work required.
http://www.siemens.co.uk/pool/news_p...irst-class.jpg
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/ima...54.187.240.jpg
http://www.siemens.co.uk/pool/news_p...rd-class-2.jpg
http://www.siemens.co.uk/pool/news_p...chair-area.jpg
Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:33 PM   #1700
dimlys1994

Today:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...t-station.html

Extra platform opened at Gatwick Airport station
03 Feb 2014

UK: The seventh platform at Gatwick Airport station was officially opened by Transport Minister Baroness Kramer on February 3.

The platform forms part of a £53m project designed to improve capacity and flexibility on the Brighton Main Line, supported by £7·5m from Gatwick Airport Ltd.

The work was undertaken for Network Rail by Volker Fitzpatrick, which was also responsible for track and signalling modifications. Modular turnouts were provided by NR's National Delivery Service, and the signalling work was subcontracted to Signalling Solutions Ltd.

Platform 7 is served by a 975 m loop which will be used by Down Fast services now calling at Platform 5. This will free up platforms 5 and 6 for use by terminating Gatwick Express services, eliminating the current conflict with slow line trains caused by their crossing over to reach platforms 1 and 2. As part of the work, Volker Fitzpatrick has installed new escalators and lifts on platforms 5 and 6, which have also been resurfaced.

Baroness Kramer paid tribute to the many staff who worked on the final commissioning during a blockade over the Christmas period, ensuring that the project was finished on schedule and budget despite the extreme weather conditions.

She confirmed that the government had committed £50m for further enhancements at the airport station, which is used by more than 12 million passengers a year.

Tags
rail, railways