daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #1721
JackClare
Trainz Route builder
 
JackClare's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oldham
Posts: 870
Likes (Received): 302

If they were to reopen the old alignment between Newton Abbot and Exeter, what's to say it has to be high-speed? FGW could have 143's and 150's operating along it for local passengers in normal conditions, then if the sea wall ever does fall apart again divert some fast services along the new alignment but turn some back at Newton Abbot and Exeter. As long as there are HST's in Laira and Old Oak Common at the time, keeping a rudimentary service operating could be possible...
JackClare no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #1722
Sunfuns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 361

You are right, it wouldn't work there either… I guess it shows that I've only been to London and Cambridge in UK
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #1723
BriedisUnIzlietne
Registered User
 
BriedisUnIzlietne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Breda/Riga
Posts: 3,551
Likes (Received): 2902

Still maybe there is a solution to the Dawlish problem that can be done without a new railway line?
Keep in mind that my drawing is not to scale. There would be more of the beachy part.

But I'm no engineer so I'm not sure if it would work. But it wouldn't damage the beauty of the Dawlish coastal railway line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I bet you've never heard of tsunamis in the lake Geneva
Just like no one here has heard of the mighty raging torrents of Lībe river near Madona! But this spring it destroyed the railway line just like currently in Dawlish! But it was probably even worse - no passenger trains ran on the line for the next two months!
(inside joke that (I hope) Sunfuns will understand)
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #1724
Manchester77
Registered User
 
Manchester77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 3,015
Likes (Received): 807

'automatically foldable glass wall'

The drain what would it just be a pipe in the concrete wall which dumps it in a river?

Its a lot of money for something that would get smashed by beach sediment in the type of storms we've just had which have thrown pebbles off the beach onto sea front roads in some parts of the country! A far more viable option is to go ahead with network rails proposed diversionary route, work with the EA to repair the sea wall where it has broken and install additional defences in the form of granite blocks out to sea which come from Norway and are very tough.

Also consider that this is the first time in many years when part of the sea wall has actually been destroyed, now I'm not talking about a closure because of a landslip or anything but when part of the wall has actually been destroyed. Now think of the cost of rebuilding the entire thing with a glass screen(!)
__________________

437.001 liked this post
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:57 AM   #1725
ramakrishna1984
Registered User
 
ramakrishna1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,039
Likes (Received): 788

United Kingdom has launched its first Tram-Train

"The tram-train concept allows a railway vehicle to run as an on-street tram serving city centers and also as a commuter train running on existing local rail networks"

Source





ramakrishna1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #1726
Sandblast
Registered User
 
Sandblast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,979
Likes (Received): 3126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramakrishna1984 View Post
United Kingdom has launched its first Tram-Train

"The tram-train concept allows a railway vehicle to run as an on-street tram serving city centers and also as a commuter train running on existing local rail networks"

Source





They've been around for some time ..... since the 19th Century, with a gap in the middle of the 20th Century!



This picture in Birmingham was taken in the 1930's
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 02:02 AM   #1727
Manchester77
Registered User
 
Manchester77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 3,015
Likes (Received): 807

It's talking about tram-trains not regular trams. A tram train is a vehicle which can run on network rail metals as well as on a tramway. So it has to comply with higher safety standards and be fitted with TPWS, AWS and the Tramway signaling too
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #1728
Sandblast
Registered User
 
Sandblast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,979
Likes (Received): 3126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
It's talking about tram-trains not regular trams. A tram train is a vehicle which can run on network rail metals as well as on a tramway. So it has to comply with higher safety standards and be fitted with TPWS, AWS and the Tramway signaling too
New fleet of trams for Birmingham - delivery 2014



Yes, sorry Manchester77, my laptop bombed out and didn't get to finish my original post!

The image above shows the replacement to Birmingham's existing trams on a future extension to Birmingham City Centre tram network - these too run on regular gauge railways.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #1729
ahqaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: dhaka
Posts: 10
Likes (Received): 1

It looks really Awesome. i love the railway of uk.
ahqaf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #1730
Manchester77
Registered User
 
Manchester77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 3,015
Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
New fleet of trams for Birmingham - delivery 2014
Yes, sorry Manchester77, my laptop bombed out and didn't get to finish my original post!
The image above shows the replacement to Birmingham's existing trams on a future extension to Birmingham City Centre tram network - these too run on regular gauge railways.
Most UK tram fleets run on ex railway lines however are not tram trains as it is no longer network rail metals. The only tram trains will be the ones ordered for sheffields trial and even that's only a small trial fleet
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #1731
AW-d
Registered User
 
AW-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 225
Likes (Received): 331

Forth Bridge, South Queensferry.

AW-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #1732
BriedisUnIzlietne
Registered User
 
BriedisUnIzlietne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Breda/Riga
Posts: 3,551
Likes (Received): 2902

Will they ever finish painting the Forth bridge?
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #1733
Dobbo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,459
Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
Will they ever finish painting the Forth bridge?
Well... actually!! Haha!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-16110496
Dobbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #1734
dimlys1994
Moderator
 
dimlys1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dniepropetrovsk
Posts: 16,354
Likes (Received): 26165

Ask an another question - when the observation desk here will be completed?
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #1735
Manchester77
Registered User
 
Manchester77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 3,015
Likes (Received): 807

@BBCNWT: Crewe Station evacuated . Parts of roof blown off and power lines down. Rail lines closed in area.
@VirginTrains: NEW: ALL CUSTOMERS TO ABANDON TRAVEL #UKSTORM

WCML tits up because of the wind. Met office have a red weather warning for wind of up to 100mph today, sat here typing this hearing bins blowing over and the garden bushes being attacked by the wind!
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #1736
437.001
Sister Greed U
 
437.001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: on the road (Spain)
Posts: 32,012
Likes (Received): 15439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
@BBCNWT: Crewe Station evacuated . Parts of roof blown off and power lines down. Rail lines closed in area.
@VirginTrains: NEW: ALL CUSTOMERS TO ABANDON TRAVEL #UKSTORM

WCML tits up because of the wind. Met office have a red weather warning for wind of up to 100mph today, sat here typing this hearing bins blowing over and the garden bushes being attacked by the wind!
is going on in Britain???

Iīve seen pictures of Shepperton near London and itīs flooded (dunno about the station though, it was just pics of a street, with people on boats).
__________________
&&& abcde PMR en Cat ImpTgn Cat2017
Everybody got a job to lose (A.E, Vision Thing, WEA, 1990)
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #1737
Sandblast
Registered User
 
Sandblast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,979
Likes (Received): 3126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
Most UK tram fleets run on ex railway lines however are not tram trains as it is no longer network rail metals. The only tram trains will be the ones ordered for sheffields trial and even that's only a small trial fleet
You reference to "Network Rail metals" will be lost on people abroad. Trams in Birmingham run on the same gauge track as the rest of the UK network ...



Old style Midland Metro tram approaching St. Paul's in the Jewellery Quarter after leaving Birmingham Snow Hill in the distance.
__________________

437.001 liked this post
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #1738
Manchester77
Registered User
 
Manchester77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 3,015
Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
is going on in Britain???

Iīve seen pictures of Shepperton near London and itīs flooded (dunno about the station though, it was just pics of a street, with people on boats).
Basically it all started when two men made eye contact and then there was a gay marriage and its just escalated... !
Sorry UKIP joke

In all seriousness here are some BBC links:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26050452
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-26070494
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25962332

Hope they help
__________________

437.001 liked this post
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #1739
Manchester77
Registered User
 
Manchester77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 3,015
Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
You reference to "Network Rail metals" will be lost on people abroad. Trams in Birmingham run on the same gauge track as the rest of the UK network ...

Old style Midland Metro tram approaching St. Paul's in the Jewellery Quarter after leaving Birmingham Snow Hill in the distance.
All trams use the same gauge track as used on network rail. While those trams run parallel to the heavy rail track it is not shared with trains and so the vehicles do not comply with ORR standards for mainline use and so are not tram trains
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #1740
437.001
Sister Greed U
 
437.001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: on the road (Spain)
Posts: 32,012
Likes (Received): 15439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
Basically it all started when two men made eye contact and then there was a gay marriage and its just escalated... !
Sorry UKIP joke
If such case were true, and as I live not that far from Barcelona, I should be in water up till my eyebrows, but Iīm not drowning, nor even swimming. There must be another reason, probably to do with Posh Spice, and/or Morrissey, and/or Jacob Rees-Mogg in leather outfits.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
+1

Has the weather ever been so disruptive for rail?
The WCML now, and the whole of the Southwest, with the Dawlish problem lasting for at least one or two months...
__________________
&&& abcde PMR en Cat ImpTgn Cat2017
Everybody got a job to lose (A.E, Vision Thing, WEA, 1990)
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
rail, railways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium