daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #161
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8828

FINALLY! New Street is going to get a major overhaul! It desperately needs it - what a disgusting station.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #162
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

Any pictures of New Street's interior, platforms etc?
I can only remember seeing the photo thats on wikipedia.

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #163
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

There should be loads of vids on youtube and loads of pics on various fotopic pages. Not sure about renders for the new redevelopment though.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #164
Magellan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
And read the bit where you tell someone to "get a life"?
You might actual want to join your friend.
Magellan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #165
Magellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfabyanos View Post
Magellan - You took it off topic when you thought I was arguing about the 1hr 10mins. And then you started the insults. Maybe you should review your attitude to your postings.

Twice this thread has gone off-topic and yes I responded to it (technically it was Hoosier who took the thread off topic, then Sotonsi, then me), but I am not going to sit idly by whilst people make unfair comments about sections of the human race. I also think I have the right to correct people when they misunderstand my posts, and when my posts are perfectly clear in the first place I won't make any apologies for it either.

A typical response from someone without humility - how about answering to the point? Did I argue with you over the 1hr 10 minute thing? No. Are you going to respond when I put it to you that you therefore have taken this off topic?
So you are still persisting in this line. You need to stop lecturing others and sort your attitude out. You may want to go away and practice your interpersonal skills if you do not like the criticism.
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #166
Magellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfabyanos View Post
Well I have taken it up with Virgin and it appears there won't be very large time savings for Brum to London services anyway. It turns out I should have argued! Much ado about nothing. The fastest service will be 1 hr 12 minutes, and that will be achieved by being non-stop - as I thought. The rest of the services will take 1 hr 22 minutes.

http://www.virgintrains.com/img/abou...Commentary.pdf
The 1h 12m service is the one Virgin has been referring to. So I do not see how that is substantially different from the what I said which was based on Virgin's press releases. You see to like creating arguments out of nothing.
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #167
Magellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post

The "TGV" family vehicles (of wich Eurostar is a member) use shorter cars suported by pairs tru a common bogie:

There are no "high speed" lines in britain because the "standard speed" lines are up to 125mph/201km/h so they sufice as fast railway routes ... and there are too many "upgradeable" routes to choose from for a "brand new" HSL to even be considerable as "doable" ... both in terms of economic cost of that construction and in terms of trying to bypass the "moronic" (no ofense here) and "predatorial" (take ofense here) local authorities/against-anything-groups along the way of the not-even-proposed-but-already-oposed route.

For the given example (London-Birmingham) ... out of 3 or four possible routes for a new HSL ... theres already a railway built in everyone of them ... and it's an "upgradeable" railway in every case.

Let me see how it is nowadays:

London-Bedford-Wigston-Nuneaton-(Coventry)-Birmingham
London-MiltonKeines-(Northampton)-Rugby-Coventry-Birmingham
London-Aylesbury-(closed railway)-...-Birmingham
London-H.Wycombe-Banbury-LeamingtonSpa-birmingham
London-Reading-Oxford-Banbury/Gloucester-Worcester-Birmingham

The fact that only one of these routes is being "upgraded" to 125mph (and one is even closed) should make some light on the matter.

There is the Channel Link, or HS1 as it is now called.

I think you will find that Network Rail has come to the conclusion that it is neither economically viable nor practical to make significant upgrades to the existing lines which will in most cases be required to cope with projected growth in commuter and freight traffic.

The Greengauge study has already identified viable paths for most of the route between London and Birmingham making use of existing alignments in some instances, and new links in others.

There will be difficulties with the planning process, but the process may have changed, under current proposals, by the time any such project gets off the ground.
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #168
Magellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
I think there is a growing industry consensus that with even conservative growth rates the main approaches to London are already full and more and more trains will see more standing passengers. The government has already had to perform a u-turn on electification as it's excuses not to electrify began to face ever greater ridicule.

Everyone knows that the first section of line will run from London to Birmingham. Most of the proposed routes all take a Western approach into London, because of the spare land running alonside the Central line, and link up with the newly expanded Trent Valley lines North of Birmingham. This section has been recently widened so should have a few years capacity still in it. All that differs on how they access Moor Street in Birmingham and how or whether they interface with Heathrow.

Conspiracy theorists (or realists) have suggested the sudden plethora of studies is a way to delay as long as possible the building of a new high speed line. The Department of transport was supposedly worried because the proposed HS2 line was gaining to much support too quickly, within the industry.

It's a long standing technique in the UK to string along a project, not wanting to to cancel a popular proposal but not actually commit any money to it. Most of the time it is quietly strangled, sometimes though it becomes to powerful to stop, and usually some deformed scheme lurches to life with so many changes, sometimes for the better, but often pared down in capacity to save money that as soon as it opens they have to start looking at upgrading it.
I agree with most of what you are say. I think a big issue though is the difficulty of making funding available. There is opposition from the Rail regulator to HSL, but there is also a problem with finding the money which is a significant delaying factor even if there was a change of opinion at the ORR.

I think £30 Billion was quoted for a full HSL link to Scotland, but this exceeds NR's current level of debt. There are also funding difficulties with existing projects, namely Crossrail, and the £1billion+ gap in NR's estimates of its requirements for the next control period.

They may also feel that they can not afford HSL and large-scale electrification at the same time, with teh latter winning out in the light of high fuel costs.
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #169
mikey23

Likes (Received): 123

New St renders

Old September 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #170
mr_storms

Likes (Received): 4

^ isnt the current place a dump?
Old September 19th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #171
mikey23

yeah, its a bit of a hell hole. I'll try and find some pics.
Old September 19th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #172
mikey23

Current station from above. The middle right of the pic is the main entrance to the station - which is what the first render is showing.

Main entrance shown here from ground

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

(Photos by brianjackson.art on Flickr)

An example of one of the platforms:

image hosted on flickr

(photo by abrinsky on Flickr)
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #173
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
The 1h 12m service is the one Virgin has been referring to. So I do not see how that is substantially different from the what I said which was based on Virgin's press releases.
You shouted at me when I proposed this exact 10 minutes could only be shaved off with less stops, or extra engineering works that I didn't know of. Which was it?

Less stops. I thank you good night.

Quote:
You see to like creating arguments out of nothing.
You created this argument out of nothing.
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:09 AM   #174
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 21

Was it right to privatize British Railroads? Here in Turkey, TCDD is to be privatized and many people say that this will increase train crashes.
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 03:20 PM   #175
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

It did increase train crashes here. Specifically the issue was the privatisation of the actual track. It was under the control of the private company Railtrack, who ended up cutting corners. As a result the track eventually ended up in a terrible state. After a couple of terrible accidents that were down to points failing or rails literally falling apart under the wheels big changes were enforced. Railtrack was forced to start a massive repair regime and for years there thousands of temporary speed restrictions all over the network. On the 10 minute journey to my college at the time there were three reducing the speed from 90mph to 20mph. It was actually quite scary how bad it became. Railtrack eventually folded under the costs and was dissolved by the government, and a psuedo-government "not for profit" organisation Network Rail was set up to take over Railtrack's mess. Since then things have drastucally improved.

In my opinion safety is not now adversely affected by the fact that the railways are privatised, though other people may disagree.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM   #176
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

The current station looks hideous - worst than Euston!

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM   #177
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20320

Yes, it has to be the crappiest major station in the country imo, I Ihave to use it every working day
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #178
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Ian Hislop on BBC3, available for this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00drtpj/
Old October 4th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #179
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 21

British trains rule!
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #180
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18217

UK commuters face more crowding and higher fares

LONDON, Oct 15 (Reuters) - British rail commuters face increased crowding at peak times until planned investment in new carriages and longer stations is completed, the government's spending watchdog said on Wednesday.

They can also expect to pay higher fares, the National Audit Office (NAO) said in a report on rail company franchises.

The government announced plans last year for 1,300 extra carriages as well as investment to alter junctions and lengthen platforms to allow operators to run longer trains.

Taken together, these measures aim to increase rail capacity by a fifth by 2014 but until then long-suffering commuters, particularly in London, face a peak time crush, the watchdog said.

Fares will also rise as operators seek to encourage passengers to travel outside peak hours and the increasingly crowded "shoulder peak" times.

Last year, for example, Stagecoach South West Trains increased by 20 percent fares for passengers travelling to London after the morning peak but arriving before 11 a.m.

Fares regulated by the Department for Transport -- 43 percent of the total -- are also set to rise on average one percentage point above inflation, as measured by the retail price index.

"Travelling by rail is still too often an unpleasant experience," said Edward Leigh, chairman of the Committee of Public Accounts, to which the NAO reports.

"The news that fares are likely to rise above inflation in these difficult times will infuriate many passengers who have no alternative but to travel day after day on packed trains."

A spokeswoman for rail consumer body Passenger Focus said operators should use lower fares to encourage passengers to travel at quieter times, rather than penalising them with high rates for journeys during busy periods.

The Department for Transport said there had been record levels of rail passenger growth over the last decade and that increasing capacity was a priority.

"That is why over 10 billion pounds is being invested to tackle the crowding problems currently experienced by passengers," it said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
rail, railways