daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2016, 02:19 PM   #2001
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40721

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
I personally think to get reliable connections over the JR Central portion of the Tokaidō Main Line, you start riding JR Central trains at Atami (the division point between JR East and JR Central), then ride one train to Shizuoka, then another train to Hamamatsu, then another train to Nagoya, then one final train to Maibara before riding a JR West train to Otsu.

From Otsu back to Tokyo, take a kaisoku train to Maibara, then board the Hikari Shinkansen train there to go back to Tokyo.
Very nice! It is a nice plan. But, I need to see the timetable... JR Tokai website in English has only Shinkansen timetable.

By the way, JR Tokai could built a Shinkansen station in Otsu. This city is the mani place of Shiga Prefecture.

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2016, 02:33 PM   #2002
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

That's when sites like Hyperdia and Jorudan är your friend.
Just input the stations, dates and other informations and it will give you details on the trains.
In your case, Tokyo - Otsu today at noon while not using either Airplane or Shinkansen:
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/searc...d&sum_target=7

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 04:33 PM   #2003
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Great!

There are some options where I can take the Azusa in Shinjuku. This is a nice option because I can take nice photos of Fuji-san from Chuo Main Line.
Old March 14th, 2016, 04:40 PM   #2004
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 285

On Hyperdia, you might also want to deselect the Limited Expresses - those have an extra charge, similar to Shinkansen trains.

---

Besides, Otsu is what, two stops away from Kyoto on the Biwako Line (if I've got the correct station)? If you can afford it, you might want to get a Nozomi from Kyoto instead for the return journey, but from my experience the time savings are rather minimal.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.

luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #2005
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Yep, the most used way to go to Otsu is taking the Nozomi and taking a local train in Kyoto. My friend lives near Ishiyama Station, on Tokaido Main Line.
Old March 15th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #2006
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

@Rodalvesdepaula
I highly recommend the journey by local train from Tokyo to the Kansai area. I've done the leg from Yokohama to Nagoya several times., this is probably the most exhausting part as JR Tokai forces you to change many trains as they want everyone to take the Shinkansen for intercity journeys. But for rail enthusisasts it's an interesting journey nonetheless. From Nagoya west to Kansai the service levels improve thanks to the fast shin kaisoku trains, though I usually opt to take a Kintetsu ltd express from Nagoya to Osaka as I am more of a fan of private railways than JR.

*like a previous poster I also suggest you catch a Hikari service from Maibara on the return leg of your journey, as Maibara is an excellent location to observe shinkansen trains passing at high speed through the station. Good for a half hour or so of trainwatching entertainment

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; March 15th, 2016 at 01:38 PM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #2007
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

It is true.

On a JR Tokai futsu train, I can take better photos of Fuji-san and cities such as Shizuoka, Atami and Hamamatsu. But, I have a doubt: when I make a transfer, I need to by a new ticket or can I buy a "unique" futsu train ticket to Otsu in Tokyo?
Old March 15th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #2008
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
It is true.

On a JR Tokai futsu train, I can take better photos of Fuji-san and cities such as Shizuoka, Atami and Hamamatsu. But, I have a doubt: when I make a transfer, I need to by a new ticket or can I buy a "unique" futsu train ticket to Otsu in Tokyo?
You'll probably need to change trains at Atami since there is no single train that gets you from Tokyo all the way to Otsu. The operator changes at Atami from JR Higashi-nihon to JR Tokai so you' probably be asked to buy a new ticket there. I believe it's the same with Suica in which you will be asked to swipe it again at Atami.

SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #2009
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Just purchase a regular distance ticket (joshaken) between Tokyo and Otsu (these paper tickets are good between all JR railways, as they share the same MARS ticketing system). Don't bother with a using a Suica card for such a journey, it's too much trouble to tap in and out, and anyway they are intended for journeys within a single network region, not between regions.

k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #2010
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Just purchase a regular distance ticket (joshaken) between Tokyo and Otsu (these paper tickets are good between all JR railways, as they share the same MARS ticketing system). Don't bother with a using a Suica card for such a journey, it's too much trouble to tap in and out, and anyway they are intended for journeys within a single network region, not between regions.
That's great!

And a joshaken ticket Tokyo-Otsu can be purchased in any vending machines at Tokyo JR stations? Can I buy it in a Midori no Madoguchi too? I speak Nihongo very well.
Old March 16th, 2016, 05:16 AM   #2011
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
That's great!

And a joshaken ticket Tokyo-Otsu can be purchased in any vending machines at Tokyo JR stations? Can I buy it in a Midori no Madoguchi too? I speak Nihongo very well.
You'll have to go to the Midori no madoguchi since the automated vending machine only covers the Tokyo to Atami portion due to change of operators at that point.

SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 06:44 AM   #2012
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
*like a previous poster I also suggest you catch a Hikari service from Maibara on the return leg of your journey, as Maibara is an excellent location to observe shinkansen trains passing at high speed through the station. Good for a half hour or so of trainwatching entertainment
That would be me.

I believe all Hikari trains stop at Maibara Station to allow the faster Nozomi trains to pass by. As such, for the most convenient way back to Tokyo from Otsu, just ride the JR West kaisoku service from Otsu to Maibara, then hop on the Hikari train back to Tokyo.

sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 12:46 PM   #2013
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Hikari trains to/from Okayama don't stop in Maibara.
Old March 17th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #2014
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3057

Kazuyo Sejima Designs New Express Train for Seibu Railway

Kazuyo Sejima is designing a new express train for Japan. Commissioned by Seibu Group, the Limited Express train would be a "friendly" addition to the company's "Red Arrow" series, which so far boasts brightly colored, traditional designs that stand out from the surroundings.

Much like Sejima's architecture, the initial concept reveals a light, semi-transparent design that allows the train to blend into the landscape.

The Pritzker Prize-winning architect and co-founder of SANAA is responsible for designing the train's exterior and interior. It is expected to complete in 2018.

castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 07:28 PM   #2015
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 285

Seibu... what the hell...

Are they trying to drape an invisibility cloak over the train?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:51 AM   #2016
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Condom train?

luacstjh98, DanielFA liked this post
Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 02:10 AM   #2017
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Seibu, please step away from the sake.
Old March 18th, 2016, 03:04 PM   #2018
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Flexible seating for new Keio Railway EMUs
This looks like a very good idea to me. Has this been done before?
Old March 18th, 2016, 09:23 PM   #2019
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

This is really a good idea! The same train can be used in local or Limited Express service with a change of seating layout.
Old March 19th, 2016, 04:46 PM   #2020
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
This is really a good idea! The same train can be used in local or Limited Express service with a change of seating layout.
I think Keio wants to use this train so it could be configured for weekend Limited Express service from the Keio Shinjuku Station all the way to Takaosanguchi Station--and a weekday commute Limited Express service to compete against the upgraded JR East Chūō Line (Rapid) service with new Green Car trains coming in 2018.

sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote