daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 31st, 2016, 12:04 AM   #2021
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member
 
Sr.Horn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,466



Part of the new Twilight Express Mizukaze left the Kawasaki Heavy Industries plant.
__________________

PiotrG, dimlys1994, Akabane liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2016, 02:04 AM   #2022
00Zy99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 1507

It looks a lot darker than I expected.

All the ads showed a brighter green-this is more of a purple-brown.

Is it shrink-wrapped?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 03:10 AM   #2023
k.k.jetcar
Registered User
 
k.k.jetcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sapporo
Posts: 1,811
Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
It looks a lot darker than I expected.

All the ads showed a brighter green-this is more of a purple-brown.

Is it shrink-wrapped?
Yes, it's a wrapping, including advertisement of the new train. You can see portions of lettering through relief caused by the wrapping.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 05:04 AM   #2024
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator
 
RyukyuRhymer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: めんどくせー
Posts: 1,294
Likes (Received): 4390

The Hokuto and Super Hokuto stopped running this month since the Hokkaido Shinkansen is running.
Was there no retirement ceremony?
__________________
Visit the:
Japan Thread
RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 06:04 AM   #2025
k.k.jetcar
Registered User
 
k.k.jetcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sapporo
Posts: 1,811
Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyukyuRhymer View Post
The Hokuto and Super Hokuto stopped running this month since the Hokkaido Shinkansen is running.
Was there no retirement ceremony?
I think you mean the Super Hakucho/Hakucho.


*I was lucky enough to ride the original "Hakucho" back in 2000, which ran from Aomori to Osaka, and was at the time the longest daytime limited express service in the nation.
__________________

RyukyuRhymer liked this post

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; March 31st, 2016 at 09:22 AM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 05:09 PM   #2026
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator
 
RyukyuRhymer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: めんどくせー
Posts: 1,294
Likes (Received): 4390

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
I think you mean the Super Hakucho/Hakucho.


*I was lucky enough to ride the original "Hakucho" back in 2000, which ran from Aomori to Osaka, and was at the time the longest daytime limited express service in the nation.
thanks! yes, Hakucho! lol confused it for the wrong section.

I rode it twice. I was surprised how empty it was when I went. How about you?
__________________
Visit the:
Japan Thread
RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 08:20 PM   #2027
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member
 
Sr.Horn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,466

Fujisan View Express



Fujikyu has presented its new 8500 series "Fujisan View Express". This is a refurbished former Odakyu-JR Central 371 series. The train will enter in service on 23 of April with one round trip on weekly days, two round trips on saturdays, and three on holidays. The train will cover the Fuji Kyuko Line between Otsuki and Kawaguchiko.

The responsible of the design was Eiji Mitooka (Seven Stars in Kyushu).

Quote:






























Source: http://response.jp/article/2016/04/06/272997.html

Test:

__________________
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 02:45 AM   #2028
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover
 
Rodalvesdepaula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sorocaba (SP), Brazil
Posts: 49,543
Likes (Received): 40882

Hokuhoku Line (ほくほく線)

The Hokuhoku Line is a railway line in Niigata Prefecute. This line was built between 1968 and 1997, and connects Echigo-Yuzawa Station (Joetsu Shinkansen) with Hokuriku Region. Trains are operated by a thrid-sector company called Hokuetsu Express and this line has a max speed of 160 km/h (it is one of two fastest non-JR railways of Japan, the other one is Keisei Sky Access).

For many years, the fast way to go from Tokyo and Kanto to Hokuriku region was the Hokuhoku Line. People traveled by Joetsu Shinkansen to Echigo-Yuzawa Station and, there, they made a transfer to Hokuetsu Express trains. This railway was one of few third-sector companies in Japan to make big profits.


http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2144698321389426501


http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2141006997430400701

Hokuhoku Line has three big tunnels: Akakura (10,47 Km), Yakushitoge (6,2 Km) and Nabetachiyama (9,13 Km). Misashima Station is located in Akakura Tunnel and it is an unique station: platforms are located 10,1 meters below station and the access is possible only when the local train is stopped in the platform.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misashima_Station

But, Horukiru Shinkansen was inaugurated in March 2015. Because it, passengers in Hokuhoku line disappeared. Incomes dropped 90%. Nowadays, Hokuetsu Express trains runs almost empty. But, it is still cheap and fast to go from Tokyo to Hokuriku region via Joetsu Shinkansen and Hokuhoku line. This is a local TV report about the fall of Hokuhoku Line.

__________________


stingstingsting liked this post

Last edited by Rodalvesdepaula; April 10th, 2016 at 03:29 AM.
Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 05:43 AM   #2029
sacto7654
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 796
Likes (Received): 283

Before March 2015, travelling from Tokyo to Kanazawa by train had two options:

1. Ride the Tanigawa Shinkansen train to Echigo-Yuzawa, then change over to the Hokuetsu Express train for one-train trip to Kanazawa.

2. Ride the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagoya, then switch over to the Shirasagi from Nagoya to Kanazawa via the Hokuriku Main Line.

Either way took a long time--over four hours of train riding. The opening of the Hokuriku Shinkansen cut the travel time between Tokyo and Kanazawa to 2 hours 36 minutes on single train service; indeed, it has result in much increased patronage of the onsen resorts around Wakura Onsen northeast of Kanazawa and Mt. Hakusan south of Kanazawa.

It's going to be interesting to see what they will do with the Hokuhoku Line in the future. One possibility is catering to skiers from the Keihanshin region to reach the resorts at Echigo-Yuzawa, but I kind of doubt the people of Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe want to change trains three times (Thunderbird from Osaka to Kanazawa, Hakutaka Shikansen from Kanazawa to Jōetsumyōkō, and then the Hokuetsu Express train from Jōetsumyōkō to Echigo-Yuzawa).
__________________

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 10:06 AM   #2030
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,975
Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
One possibility is catering to skiers from the Keihanshin region to reach the resorts at Echigo-Yuzawa, but I kind of doubt the people of Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe want to change trains three times
...with skis.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #2031
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover
 
Rodalvesdepaula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sorocaba (SP), Brazil
Posts: 49,543
Likes (Received): 40882

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
Before March 2015, travelling from Tokyo to Kanazawa by train had two options:

1. Ride the Tanigawa Shinkansen train to Echigo-Yuzawa, then change over to the Hokuetsu Express train for one-train trip to Kanazawa.

2. Ride the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagoya, then switch over to the Shirasagi from Nagoya to Kanazawa via the Hokuriku Main Line.

Either way took a long time--over four hours of train riding. The opening of the Hokuriku Shinkansen cut the travel time between Tokyo and Kanazawa to 2 hours 36 minutes on single train service; indeed, it has result in much increased patronage of the onsen resorts around Wakura Onsen northeast of Kanazawa and Mt. Hakusan south of Kanazawa.

It's going to be interesting to see what they will do with the Hokuhoku Line in the future. One possibility is catering to skiers from the Keihanshin region to reach the resorts at Echigo-Yuzawa, but I kind of doubt the people of Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe want to change trains three times (Thunderbird from Osaka to Kanazawa, Hakutaka Shikansen from Kanazawa to Jōetsumyōkō, and then the Hokuetsu Express train from Jōetsumyōkō to Echigo-Yuzawa).
Is there a possibility for JR Kamotsu runs its freight trains on Hokuhoku Line?

Nowadays, logistics from Hokuriku region to Kanto is made only by truck. A express container train from Kawasaki Freight Terminal to Kuroi Station (Joetsu City) via Joetsu Line and Hokuhoku Line could be reliable and lucrative. By the way, Hokuetsu Express could have a new source of income by JR Kamotsu payments for use its tracks.

During Winter, Hokuetsu Express could operate a daily round-trip limited-express service from Echigo-Yuzawa to Osaka without change of trains. This train could runs on Hokuhoku Line, Hokuriku Main Line and Tokaido Main Line (to reach Maibara and Otsu).
__________________


Last edited by Rodalvesdepaula; April 10th, 2016 at 03:14 PM.
Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #2032
k.k.jetcar
Registered User
 
k.k.jetcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sapporo
Posts: 1,811
Likes (Received): 452

Hokuhoku Line tracks are not able to handle the axle loads of heavy electric locomotives. Also, sidings are restricted to ten car trains and the signal system is optimized for passenger trains, not mixed traffic. There is the added complication that the Shin Shimizu tunnel doesn't have clearances for containers of 9 ft 6 in height, so international standard dimension containers cannot be hauled between Kanto and Hokuriku. As most rail freight traffic runs longitudinally rather than over shorter lateral (cross-country) routes, the potential amount of freight traffic to be gained is likely not worth the cost to upgrade.
__________________

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #2033
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover
 
Rodalvesdepaula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sorocaba (SP), Brazil
Posts: 49,543
Likes (Received): 40882

Ah, I understood.

So, Hokuetsu Express could create some seasonal express-direct routes from Hokuriku region and Echigo-Yazawa to other regions:

Winter: Osaka - Kyoto - Otsu - Maibara - Tsuruga - Kanazawa - Toyama - Naoetsu - Echigo-Yuzawa

Summer: Naoetsu - Echigo-Yuzawa - Yokohama - Atami - Ito - Shimoda
__________________

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 09:02 PM   #2034
sacto7654
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 796
Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
Is there a possibility for JR Kamotsu runs its freight trains on Hokuhoku Line?

Nowadays, logistics from Hokuriku region to Kanto is made only by truck. A express container train from Kawasaki Freight Terminal to Kuroi Station (Joetsu City) via Joetsu Line and Hokuhoku Line could be reliable and lucrative. By the way, Hokuetsu Express could have a new source of income by JR Kamotsu payments for use its tracks.

During Winter, Hokuetsu Express could operate a daily round-trip limited-express service from Echigo-Yuzawa to Osaka without change of trains. This train could runs on Hokuhoku Line, Hokuriku Main Line and Tokaido Main Line (to reach Maibara and Otsu).
Upgrading the Hokuhoku Line to accommodate frieght trains may not be so easy--especially if they have to raise the clearances of the tunnels to accommodate freight locomotives and flat cars carrying freight containers. And that also means upgrading the long rail viaduct between Saigata and just east of Kubiki Stations to accommodate the higher weight of freight trains, too.

However, your suggestion of a winter-only "Hokuetsu Winter Express" from Osaka Station to Echigo-Yuzawa Station running between December 1 to middle March may not be such a bad idea. Because it's a seasonal service, it won't directly compete with the Hokuriku Shinkansen. And they can use 681 and 683 dual-voltage trainsets already in the inventory.
__________________

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #2035
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover
 
Rodalvesdepaula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sorocaba (SP), Brazil
Posts: 49,543
Likes (Received): 40882

No doubt!

Hokuetsu could advert this possible service as a "no-transfer, direct train from Kansai to ski resorts". 681 Series trainsets could have space for ski equipments.

I have a suggestion for a timetable for "Hokuetsu Winter Express":


Echigo-Yuzawa - 08:00
Joetsu-Kokusai-Ski-Jo-Mae - 08:17
Muikamachi - 08:30
|
|
|
Naoetsu - 09:35
|
|
Myoko-Kogen - 10:10
|
|
Kanazawa - 12:55
|
|
|
|
Furui - 14:00
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Maibara - 15:30
|
|
|
|
Otsu - 16:22
Kyoto - 16:35
|
|
|
Shin-Osaka - 16:55
Osaka (JR) - 17:00
__________________

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:22 PM   #2036
00Zy99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 1507

What if it proves popular with non-skiers? Popular enough to run year-around?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #2037
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover
 
Rodalvesdepaula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sorocaba (SP), Brazil
Posts: 49,543
Likes (Received): 40882

I don't think so. JR West operates the Thunderbird limited-express train between Osaka and Kanazawa. Demand to Echigo-Yuzawa is big only during Winter.
__________________

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 02:39 AM   #2038
sacto7654
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 796
Likes (Received): 283

I would route the proposed Hoketsu Winter Resort Express like this, going west to east:

Osaka--Shin-Osaka--Kyoto--Tsuruga--Fukui--Kanazawa--Toyoma--Itoigawa--Naoetsu--Echigo-Yuzawa

I'm not sure if routing it through Maibara is a good idea, given the relatively small number of passengers alighting there on this service.

The train will be the 683 Series dual-voltage EMU, but upgraded to accommodate passengers carrying skis.

Why the stop at Itoigawa? That way, passengers can transfer to a local train on the Ōito Line to reach ski resorts south of Minami-Otari Station, with through service using paired KiHa 120 DMU's that can travel as far south as Yanaba Station.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 02:50 AM   #2039
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover
 
Rodalvesdepaula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sorocaba (SP), Brazil
Posts: 49,543
Likes (Received): 40882

I agree. This service could run via Kosei Line instead of Tokaido Line.
__________________

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 01:51 PM   #2040
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed
 
Sopomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 870
Likes (Received): 153

Given that the Kosei line is mostly elevated and appears to be built with quite large turn radii (only from personal observation) is it possible that it could be upgraded to 160 km/h operation?
__________________
And he kicked so many rosebushes at her that eventually, Sasuke turned into a log.
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium