daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1101
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by quashlo, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #1102
quashlo

I saved the castella from Nagasaki for breakfast this morning…

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #1103
quashlo

Upon arrival at Kokura, I was luckily greeted by a 500 series Kodama waiting on the opposite side.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #1104
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #1105
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #1106
quashlo

Kokura isn’t as impressive as Hakata, but still a nice station. They’re actually quite similar in design.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #1107
quashlo

On the zairaisen platforms, waiting for a ride over to Moji Port.
Spotted an 883 series:

image hosted on flickr

Probably some railway staff…

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Peering up at the Shinkansen platforms, we can see a Hikari Rail Star stopped at the platform.

image hosted on flickr

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #1108
quashlo

There also happened to be an 885 series Sonic set waiting at the station. Besides being used on the Hakata – Nagasaki Kamome runs, they can also be found on their namesake, the Sonic services between Hakata and Ōita.

image hosted on flickr

Easily one of the more popular trains, so there were a lot of people taking photos with it, including many who were heading to Moji-kō and had no intention of riding it at all.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #1109
quashlo

The Moji Port area of Kita-Kyūshū is a historic area and tourist destination… JR Kyūshū’s railway museum is located here, but I botched the schedule and visited on a Wednesday, when the museum is usually closed.

image hosted on flickr

C59 1, one of the museum’s steam locomotives.
This one is fairly new, built in 1941.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The main museum building is the former headquarters of the first Kyūshū Railroad, a beautiful brick structure built in 1891. Can also see some of the other pieces in the museum’s collection, including EF10 and ED72 electric locomotives.

image hosted on flickr

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #1110
Deo
You know...

Likes (Received): 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
ORGASM!!!
Deo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #1111
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Any pictures of the interiors of the Duplex Shinakansen trains?
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #1112
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:

All of the Shinkansen stations have some form of platform fencing or platform doors. The older stations use simple railings, but perhaps these will eventually be replaced with platform doors. I suppose it’s less of an issue at a station like Hakata, where all trains stop.
Do all Japanese Shinkansens have the same spacing in between the doors that allow for such railing or platform doors?

What I mean is: in The Netherlands, if they put up railings, when leaving some types of trains you would walk into the railings in stead of in between them
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #1113
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Do all Japanese Shinkansens have the same spacing in between the doors that allow for such railing or platform doors?
More or less. As you can see in the pictures, the openings are wide enough to allow for some variation (in terms of cm differences, if they exist). On platform barriers with doors, the barriers are set inboard enough that there is room on the outside edge of the platform for passengers to access even an offset door. On a system such as the shinkansen, with relatively few variations of stock, it is easy to set standards.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #1114
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Any pictures of the interiors of the Duplex Shinakansen trains?
Take a look at this:
http://www62.tok2.com/home/tsubame787/seat_e4.html
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #1115
quashlo

While there is some level of standardization across Shinkansen stock, platform doors at Shinkansen stations can be quite a bit more complicated than what you typically see on an urban rapid transit line, where the doors are at relatively uniform intervals. There's quite a bit of variation in door position even within one train. The result is probably some of the widest platform door installations anywhere... See 2:35.

Old April 29th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #1116
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Great, thanks for the video, Quashlo.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #1117
quashlo

Hitachi ends due diligence on AnsaldoBreda
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8GH5VP20120517

Quote:
May 17 (Reuters) - An Italian union official said on Thursday that Japanese group Hitachi had completed a due diligence on Finmeccanica's train manufacturing unit AnsaldoBreda and hopes a deal can be clinched by June.

"Given that Hitachi has done the due diligence, it's now just a matter of setting a price. I hope a deal will be done by June because it's important for Finmeccanica and Italy ... on a 50 percent stake," Giovanni Contento, national secretary at Italian metalworkers union UILM, told Reuters.

Old May 18th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #1118
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Hitachi ends due diligence on AnsaldoBreda
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8GH5VP20120517
The question is, will Hitachi be able to turn AB around? Or will its reputation be smeared with the shit that is AB?
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #1119
quashlo

Hakone Tozan Railway reveals conceptual design for new train

The Hakone Tozan Railway, a major tourist-oriented mountain railway in the Hakone area just west of Tōkyō, has recently revealed the conceptual design for a new 3000 series train. These will be the first new trains on the railway since the additional 2000 series trains that arrived in 1997.

Some pictures:
Source: http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/

The new trains are designed with a higher capacity to better handle the large heavy crowds during the tourist season, and are barrier-free, with designated wheelchair spaces. The 3000 series is primarily intended to be coupled with the two-car 2000 series St. Moritz trains, and will be the railway’s first new double-ended units since the 1000 series Bernina units, allowing for all trains during the tourist season to be operated in three-car formations.

Being one of Japan’s many mountain railways and a member of the 全国登山鉄道‰会 (Japanese Mountain Railway Permil Association), the new trains are designed to allow passengers to enjoy the mountain scenery of Hakone, a fairly large resort area. The new trains have been designed by Noriake Okabe Architecture Network, which has also designed the popular Romancecar 50000 series VSE and 60000 series MSE units for Odakyū Electric Railway, the parent company of the Hakone Tozan Railway.

Seating will be transverse and concentrated in the center of the cars, with wheelchair and observation space at the ends. Signage will be in the now-standard four languages. The two new cars will be completed in October 2013 at a total cost of ¥800 million, entering revenue service in April 2014.

Old May 30th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1120
quashlo

JR Kyūshū releases details on new luxury sleeper train

In an era when sleeper trains are going the way of the dinosaurs, we have some comforting news from JR Kyūshū regarding their planned new luxury sleeper service that will travel the full circumference of Kyūshū on a three-night, four-day itinerary. The train has been named 七つの星 in 九州 (Seven Stars in Kyūshū), representing the seven prefectures of the island (Saga, Nagasaki, Kumamoto, Fukuoka, Kagoshima, Miyazaki, and Ōita), Kyūshū’s seven tourist draws (nature, food, onsen hot springs, culture / history, spiritual power, humanity, and trains), and the seven passenger cars forming the train. This is another design effort by Mitooka Eiji of Don Design Associates, building on his already extensive portfolio for JR Kyūshū.

The special website is here:
Japanese: http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/cruisetrain/
English: http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/cruisetrain/

Since they’ve gone through all the effort of making an English page, they’re obviously also targeting foreign tourists for this service.

Some pictures:
Source: http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/

As is standard for Mitooka designs, the train gets its own unique logo.

Formations will consist of seven passenger cars pulled by a refurbished DF200 diesel locomotive.

The end of the train will have an open design, affording better views than even the Cassiopeia, a current luxury sleeper service between Tōkyō and Hokkaidō.

Car 1: Lounge car
Car 2: Dining car
Cars 3-7: Suites (3 per car)
Car 8: Deluxe “DX” suites

Based on this, there will be 12 regular suites and two deluxe suites, for a total capacity of 14 couples (28 passengers).

Lounge car
There will be ample use of wood and fabrics, bringing together Japanese and Western, modern and traditional together. The lounge car will feature a bar counter and piano for live performances.

Deluxe suites

Start of service is scheduled for October 2013. For the full three-night, four-day itinerary, a regular suite will be ¥380,000, the regular deluxe suite ¥500,000, and the deluxe suite at the very rear of the train will be ¥550,000. For a one-night, two-day itinerary, the cost will be ¥150,000, ¥200,000, and ¥220,000, respectively. The train will run once a week.