daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #1121
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62778

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Hakone Tozan Railway reveals conceptual design for new train

The Hakone Tozan Railway, a major tourist-oriented mountain railway in the Hakone area just west of Tōkyō, has recently revealed the conceptual design for a new 3000 series train. These will be the first new trains on the railway since the additional 2000 series trains that arrived in 1997.
It would be fun if they would buy the next new trains from Stadler Rail.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #1122
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5730

I hope the Kyushu luxury train is taking its passengers straight to the plastic surgeon's office. Emergency face transplants for everyone!
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #1123
Xoser_barcelona

Likes (Received): 47

Nice train, I see the attraction and am sure the service will be impecable. However somehow it feels as out of place as Huis ten Bosch on Kyushu and I personally would have rather seen a Ryokan style train with onsen car than this somewhat Europeanesque set up. Unless dressing up as early 20-century rich white person is the new cosplay of the year?
Xoser_barcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1124
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Well, I'm sure Huis ten Bosch doesn't appeal much to Western tourists, but it's mainly targeting domestic tourists anyways, so it only needs to appeal to Japanese (and to a lesser extent, visitors from other parts of Asia). Even for this, they may have set up an English web site, but they're still primarily targeting domestic tourists.

On the surface, I suppose the sketches look pretty "European", but I wouldn't be fooled by all the stand-in models. The Japanese influence is there... The deluxe suite sketch with the old dude in white sitting down reading a book has plenty of Japanese elements, including the kakejiku calligraphy scrolls, the sudare bamboo blinds, the green tatami bamboo mats, and the shōji paper lattice screens. If you look at the first large conceptual sketch showing the deluxe suite car with the giant window, that one actually looks mostly Japanese, with the chōchin paper lanterns, bonsai tree, and ikebana display. There's some other minor hints like the bed and chair moquettes that look like maki-e gold-and-black lacquer.

Not sure why the two sketches look different, but these are just sketches anyways... I suppose maybe the suite could be designed to allow for easy remodeling to allow them to do seasonal switches between Western- and Japanese-style design, or (perhaps more likely) they will have two separate cars.

I somehow don't think an onsen car would be very practical, but perhaps they could have gone with some Japanese-style seating with a kotatsu (table heater) or something.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #1125
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Looking at the pics, I was somewhat reminded of scenes you would see on Meitantei Conan or some such mystery show.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #1126
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn2...l#.T-5gzRe_GTI

Quote:
Bullet-train extensions approved

Kyodo

Transport minister Yuichiro Hata on Friday approved the construction of three shinkansen extensions worth a combined ¥3.04 trillion that will go into operation by the end of fiscal 2035.

The three segments are a 211-km route between Hakodate, Hokkaido and Sapporo, a 113-km segement between Kanazawa, Ishikawa Prefecture, and Tsuruga, Fukui Prefecture, and a 21-km link between Isahaya, Nagasaki Prefecture, and the city of Nagasaki.

It is the first approval for shinkansen line construction with the Democratic Party of Japan in power. The last approval was in March 2008, for a section between Takeo Onsen, Saga Prefecture, and Isahaya.
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #1127
quashlo

JR Freight announces development of two new locomotives

Official press release is here:
http://www.jrfreight.co.jp/common/pd.../201207-03.pdf

EF210-301
This will be the successor to the EF67 types used to push trains up the steep grades on the Seno – Hachihonmatsu section of the San’yō Main Line in the Hiroshima area. The EF67s are over 40 years old now, and this new locomotive is based on the EF210 types, with a new type of coupler featuring a silicon buffer. Completion is expected on 2012.09.03.

EH800-901
This will be a dual-voltage unit capable of running under 20 kV and 25 kV DC and featuring Shinkansen DS-ATC (digital ATC) signaling. Completion is expected in autumn 2012. This new locomotive is designed exclusively for dual use of the Seikan Tunnel by both Shinkansen and zairaisen trains, which is coming in only a few years when the Shinkansen extension to Shin-Hakodate opens in 2015.

Old July 16th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #1128
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10647

JR East To Develop Next-Gen Train Control System
Quote:
TOKYO (Nikkei)--East Japan Railway Co. (9020) is moving toward adopting a next-generation train control system as part of its efforts to upgrade the railway system in greater Tokyo by improving operations and streamlining facilities.

The new system, called communications-based train control (CBTC), is different from conventional automatic control systems and does not require traffic lights. It will detect train locations via radio communications and automatically control rail traffic.

JR East is ready to start development with system manufacturers for implementation on the Joban local line, which runs between Tokyo and neighboring prefectures. If everything goes smoothly, the system will be introduced in about 10 years.

The company through Sunday had solicited firms interested in participating in the project. The candidates have been asked to prepare proposals containing a system overview, functions, estimated costs and other information by the end of October.

By year's end, JR East will select one or two companies with which to discuss further details, and will make the final decision by the end of next year.

http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20120716D1607N01.htm
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #1129
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

how are they progressing with the Train on Train project?
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #1130
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6984

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo View Post
does not require traffic lights. It will detect train locations via radio communications and automatically control rail traffic.
It's not really next-gen. It's been there for quite a long and adopted by a number of urban rail systems around the world.
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #1131
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10647

It is next generation from the current system...hence...next gen.
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1132
quashlo

Yeah, ukiyo is right... It's not meant to say that it's advanced, just that it's going to be the successor of the current system.

Anyways, most CBTC operations are usually simple back-and-forth operations with fully grade-separated traffic. The section selected for this CBTC experiment is the Jōban Local Line (Ayase ‒ Toride), which is already fully grade-separated (this probably happened when they quadruple-tracked the line decades ago to provide segregated rapid and local services as part of 五方面作戦).

Part of the impetus for JR East in developing its own system (ATACS) was to deal with the unique situations present in most urban transit in Japan, such as the high frequency of grade crossings, complexity of through-services, local / express setups, etc. All of these functions would need to be controlled by the software, so ATACS is much more like ETCS Level 3 than a simple CBTC system.

As always, the details are obscured, but my inclination is that this latest news is just an investigation into the cost-effectiveness of CBTC, as there are a handful of other lines in the Tōkyō area like the Jōban Local Line where the full package of ATACS functions wouldn't necessarily be needed, such as the Chūō Rapid Line, Chūō‒Sōbu Local Line, Yamanote Line, Keiyō Line, Saikyō Line, etc.
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #1133
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3057

Quote:
Enoshima Electric Railway, familiarly known as Enoden, has 100 years of history. It links the central Shonan area, Kamakura and Fujisawa, a distance of approximately 10 kilometers. You can enjoy the changing scenery of mountains, beaches, tunnels and changing into a streetcar. Along the railroad line, there is the ancient city of Kamakura with 800 years of history and Enoshima Island which is famous as a seaside resort. In the ancient city of Kamakura there are famous Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines such as Kamakura's Great Buddha, Hase Kannon temple, Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gu shrine and Zeniarai Benten. You can also find art museums and popular spots along the historical streets.
Enoshima Island is a symbol of the Shonan area. The Enoshima Lighthouse Observation Tower located at the highest point of the island offers a 360 degree panoramic view that includes a view of Mt. Fuji, Oshima Island or the distant Landmark Tower in Yokohama. Our variety of coaches with classical and modern designs will carry you along your journey

castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #1134
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
That's one cute little railway!
I concur. Beautifully nostalgic and inspirational at the same time!
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #1135
japanese001

Likes (Received): 708

japanese001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #1136
japanese001

Old October 8th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #1137
japanese001

Old October 9th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #1138
japanese001

Last edited by japanese001; October 9th, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old October 9th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #1139
japanese001

Old October 10th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #1140
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
^ Thats cool, love the emblem and the color of the train gives a very royalty feel. Had no idea theres this type of train.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote