daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1281
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Some pictures of the new Akamatsu / Aomatsu cars for the Kinki Tango Railway:
Source: http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/

Huti liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #1282
quashlo

Pictures of the new green car on the Ban’etsu Monogatari steam train (SLばんえつ物語). This service began operating on JR East’s Ban’etsu West Line in 1999 and has been enjoying steady popularity, but this year they will introduce a new 30-seat green car (first-class car) with a panorama deck.
Source: http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/

Test train on the Ban’etsu West Line between Kitakata and Yamato. The new green car (スロフ12 102) will be Car 7 in the consist (Niigata end car), and is shown here coupled behind the locomotive (C57 180).

They also renovated Car 4 and Car 5. This is Car 4, where the Aizu Wakamatsu end now features high-floor window-facing seating.

The new green car being delivered to Niitsu (2013.04.02):

The test run (2013.04.04) on the same day as the picture set:

Huti, ko7, Swede liked this post
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #1283
quashlo

Late winter scenes (2013.03) on the Kikonai – Esashi segment of the Esashi Line, which will be abandoned when the Shinkansen extension to Shin-Hakodate opens.
http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/

Huti, Swede, happosai liked this post
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #1284
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6988

Why so? It's located on another side of Hokkaido. Shinkansen wouldn't duplicate it. How wouldn't town live without anything at all?
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #1285
quashlo

True, it's not a parallel line, but it's bleeding red everywhere...
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1128

There's only 10 trains a day (five in each direction) on this segment.

Normally, if the rail service was worth keeping, the local governments would band together and purchase the line from JR and operate it themselves as a third-sector railway after the Shinkansen opens. There was no interest from the local governments in preserving the rail service, so it will be converted to bus service instead.
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #1286
quashlo

JR特急列車利用者数 2年連続で増加
http://www.tulip-tv.co.jp/news/detai...20130416162328

Article has a video report.

Annual ridership on JR limited expresses in the Hokuriku region (Fukui, Ishikawa, and Toyama Prefectures) reached about 11.60 million, showing a second straight year of growth and marking a 2.1% year-over-year increase. In particular, the Thunderbird service (to / from the Kansai area) and Hakutaka service (to / from Echigo Yuzawa and Tōkyō) posted year-over-year growth of over 3%—buoyed by the Tōkyō Sky Tree and new attractions at USJ in Ōsaka.

Thunderbird clips:

Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:58 PM   #1287
quashlo

JR仙山線を土木遺産に 仙台の市民団体、歴史的意義PR
http://www.kahoku.co.jp/news/2013/04/20130417t15030.htm

A group of Sendai City railfans under local citizens group (関山街道フォーラム協議会) is working to get the railway infrastructure of the JR Senzan Line listed as a Civil Engineering Heritage with the Japan Society of Civil Engineers (JSCE). The line has had a fairly important role in the history and development of Japan’s railway network, being the first test line for the use of alternating current in Japan, as well as contributing to the development of the Shinkansen. They are hoping to get bridges, control points, and former turntables on the line listed in 2014, the 60th anniversary of the start of AC electrification tests on the line.

Specifically, they are lobbying for the Hirose River Bridge #2 (第2広瀬川橋りょう) near Kumagane Station in Sendai City’s Aoba Ward, the control point inside the Senzan Tunnel between Miyagi and Yamagata Prefectures, and the former turntables still remaining at Sakunami Station (Aoba Ward) and Yamadera Station (Yamagata City) listed. Hirose River Bridge #2 is a 40 m tall trestle bridge (rarity in Japan), while the control point is unusual for being located inside a tunnel. The turntables at Sakunami and Yamadera are located on the steeper segments of the line that originally opened with DC electrification.

The Senzan Line opened in 1937 between Sendai and Yamagata, but JNR began using the line for AC electrification tests in 1954 because of the line’s steep grades and long station spacing. These efforts eventually found fruit in the development of the Shinkansen.

Window view on the Senzan Line from Uzen Chitose to Yamadera:

Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:59 PM   #1288
quashlo

There’s a pretty good video report here from TV Tōkyō about new sightseeing trains. It covers the Orange Restaurant train on the Hisatsu Orange Railway and the new train set for the Kita-Kinki Tango Railway:
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/mv/wbs/feature/post_39326

A video on the new Kita-Kinki Tango Railway train:

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #1289
quashlo

Tsugaru Railway considers dual-mode vehicle to connect to Hokkaidō Shinkansen
JR北海道開発のDMVで青森観光 津軽鉄道が新幹線駅接続構想

http://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/news/economic/462178.html

The DMV is a rail-road vehicle under development by JR Hokkaidō, and with the upcoming opening of the first segment of the Hokkaidō Shinkansen to Shin-Hakodate, a local private railway in Aomori Prefecture, Tsugaru Railway, is considering introducing the technology as a means of connecting to the Shinkansen. Aomori Prefecture has earmarked some money in its FY2013 budget for feasibility studies.

The Tsugaru Railway is a fairly isolated line, connected only to the Gonō Line at Goshogawara Station in the western part of Aomori. It’s only 20.7 km long, but it has some interesting trains for tourists and railfans including a “stove” train and a “bell cricket” (スズムシ) train. The plan would be to have the DMV connect into the new Oku-Tsugaru Station planned in Imabetsu Town and pass various landmarks and tourists sights before connecting into the Tsugaru Railway.

JR Hokkaidō began working on the DMV starting in 2000 as a means of revitalizing struggling rural lines, and the first running tests began in 2004 on the Gakken Toshi Line and Senmō Main Line in Hokkaidō. After derailment incidents in 2005 and 2007, the railway improved on the design in 2008 with their current prototype. The DMV ha also been tested since 2006 in Shizuoka and Kumamoto Prefectures.

DMV at JR Hokkaidō’s Naebo Plant (2012.09.08):

The Tsugaru Railway stove train (2010.12.04):

Old May 1st, 2013, 07:04 PM   #1290
Asakaze

Likes (Received): 9

This seems to be the right time to post some pictures I took at Kanagi station during a trip last november. Kanagi is famous for the former residence of novelist Osamu Dazai, it's Shamisen-museum (including performances) and as the birthplace of singer Yoshi Ikuzo, also called "countryside Presley"

My ticket from Tsugaru-Goshogawara to Kanagi, sold by the conductor on the train.

Panorama at Kanagi station

The station building itself

The train itself was named "Hashire Melos", after a novel by Dazai. Tsugaru railway has a tourist guide on every train, to take care of the few tourists coming to the northern Tsugaru area during the season without the Stove train.
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #1291
quashlo

JR West planning luxury sleeper train to tour World Heritage Sites
豪華寝台列車で巡る世界遺産…JR西が計画

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/atmoney/new...OYT1T00543.htm

Following on the heels of JR Kyūshū, JR West will also now begin looking into a luxury sleeper service to tour UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the JR West service area, targeting tourists and seniors. The likely departure station will be Ōsaka Station, where passengers will board newly-manufactured passenger cars for the service, scheduled to start by FY2017. Currently, JR West already jointly operates a luxury sleeper service between Ōsaka and Sapporo (the Twilight Express), but this will be their first that does a “cruising” itinerary.

Similar to JR Kyūshū’s proposed service, JR West will offer high-grade accommodations and haute cuisine featuring locally-grown or captured produce and seafood. Trains will operate on zairaisen tracks, and passengers will have opportunities for lodging on both the train and in hotels and traditional Japanese inns (旅館). Fares will be about ¥100,000 per person.

JR West has a total of nine UNESCO World Heritage Sites in its 50-line service area in the Kinki, Chūgoku, and Hokuriku regions of western Japan, including Himeji Castle (Hyōgo Prefecture), Itsukushima Shrine (Hiroshima Prefecture), the Iwami Ginzan silver mine (Shimane Prefecture), and a multitude of sites in Kyōto and Nara. A survey commissioned by the railway indicated that there is strong demand for leisure train travel among members of the Baby Boomer generation, and with growing competition from LCCs in the intercity market, JR West decided to explore a luxury sleeper service.

Perhaps we could be on the verge of a small rebirth in sleeper services in Japan, not as intercity service, but as leisure travel?

The Twilight Express:

Old May 6th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #1292
quashlo

Ishikawa Prefecture, JR West operate special Nanao Line service
2次交通 金沢←→穴水 大勢の客 実験列車 大型連休初の運行

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/is...502000038.html

Holiday periods like the currently ongoing Golden Week often provide a chance to see services that aren’t normally operated under the regular schedule, including trains that have been discontinued. On 2013.05.04 and 2013.05.05, Ishikawa Prefecture and JR West are operating a special trial service between Kanazawa and Anamizu on the Noto Peninsula via the JR Nanao Line and Noto Railway Nanao Line. Targeting holiday-season tourism, the service departs Kanazawa Station in the morning, with passengers transferring at Nanao to a Noto Railway train to take them to Anamizu, with special walking tours and Noto wine-tasting events at Anamizu.

With the upcoming opening of the Kanazawa extension of the Hokuriku Shinkansen looming on the horizon, the trial service is one part of a proposed plan to restore through-service between Kanazawa and Anamizu. The entire line was originally the JNR’s Nanao Line / Noto Line, providing train service for the Noto Peninsula. The sections north of Nanao were eventually abandoned by JR, however, with service being inherited by Noto Railway, a third-sector operator. Several additional segments were later completely abandoned—namely, 20.4 km of the Nanao Line between Anamizu and Wajima in 2001 and 61.0 km of the Noto Line between Anamizu and Takojima in 2005. The line is still struggling, but there is some hope that Shinkansen-generated tourism will help revitalize the line.

Cab view from Nanao to Anamizu (2012.10.07):

Old May 6th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1293
quashlo

There was a small open house at Tōkyō Freight Terminal (東京貨物ターミナル) in Shinagawa Ward, Tōkyō on 2013.05.05 to celebrate the terminal’s 40th anniversary. This is the first time JR Freight has opened up the terminal for a public event.

Old May 6th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #1294
quashlo

The Golden Week U-turn rush has reached its peak, with people returning back to Tōkyō and the big cities from their hometowns and vacation spots… Reserved seats on all Shinkansen bound for Tōkyō are largely fully booked all day, with non-reserved seats (自由席) on pushing 150% loading on Tōkaidō Shinkansen services and 170% loading on Nagano Shinkansen services. On the Tōhoku Shinkansen, the faster Hayate and Hayabusa services are mostly fully booked in tomorrow morning.

A few video reports for yesterday (2013.05.06), the last big day of the holiday period:

FNN news report at Morioka Station (Iwate Prefecture).

ANN news report.

Old May 7th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #1295
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

quashlo, given that there are a number of ex-Blue Train passenger cars still around, why don't they just completely refurbish a number of them to 2013 standards of comfort and use that for this special luxury train running in JR West territory, pulled by upgraded JNR Class DD51 diesel-hydraulic locomotives?
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #1296
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Haven't most of them been donated to other countries, if not then they would most likely have been scraped and recycled into new trains/stuff.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #1297
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

A couple of comments:

1. loefet, if I remember correctly, during Golden Week this year a number of retired Blue Train passenger cars were brought out of retirement to operate extra trains to accommodate the huge crush of passengers leaving the major metropolitan areas to return to their rural home towns. That tells me there may be enough of these old passenger cars left that could be refurbished into the luxury train planned by JR West.

2. quashlo, I like the idea of reviving the Kanazawa to Anamizu service once the Hokuriku Shinkansen service opens in March 2015. Mind you, they'll need more modern DMU's for this service; how about updated KiHa 120's with more powerful engines running in multiple units?
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #1298
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

That was more than I knew, I do know on the other hand that there have been donations of rail cars to places like the Philippines: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...e#post74990005
Seems like it was JR East that time, I thought that other companies have done the same.

The question is though, would it be worth it? I mean there have been a lot of rail car developments since they built the old ones. So it would be just as expensive to rebuild the old cars as it is building brand new ones, especially if they want the latest in rider comfort, which they most likely do since it will be a deluxe service.

I wouldn't mind at all to ride one of these trains, since it would be a really great experience to visit some famous places in Japan.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #1299
quashlo

JR East Golden Week results

Official press release:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20130501.pdf

Ridership was up across the board.

Golden Week period:

Code:
   This year             Last year
================     ================
2013.04.27 (Sat)     2012.04.28 (Sat)
2013.04.28 (Sun)     2012.04.29 (Sun)
2013.04.29 (Mon)     2012.04.30 (Mon)

2013.05.03 (Fri)     2012.05.03 (Thu)
2013.05.04 (Sat)     2012.05.04 (Fri)
2013.05.05 (Sun)     2012.05.05 (Sat)
2013.05.06 (Mon)     2012.05.06 (Sun)
Ridership (in millions) on Shinkansen, limited expresses, and expresses (17 primary sections of the rail network):

Code:
             This   Last          Year-Over Year
             Year   Year    ============================
             =====  =====   Total  Shinkansen  Zairaisen

Outbound     2.131  2.101   101%     101%       103%
Inbound      2.088  2.040   102%     102%       103%
========     =====  =====   ====     ====       ====
Total        4.219  4.141   102%     101%       103%
Ridership (in millions) on primary sections (inbound + outbound):

Code:
Tōhoku Shinkansen                            1.890  1.886  100%
(Ōmiya - Utsunomiya / Furukawa - Kitakami)

Tōhoku Shinkansen (Morioka - Hachinohe)      0.224  0.225  100%

Jōetsu Shinkansen (Ōmiya - Takasaki)         0.991  0.952  104%

Nagano Shinkansen (Takasaki - Karuizawa)     0.319  0.306  104%

Akita Shinkansen (Morioka - Tazawako)        0.090  0.086  104%

Yamagata Shinkansen (Fukushima - Yonezawa)   0.119  0.118  101%

Uetsu Main Line (Inaho, etc.)                0.040  0.042   94%

Jōban Line (Super Hitachi, etc.)             0.274  0.263  104%

Sotobō Line / Uchibō Line                    0.091  0.086  105%
(Wakashio, Sazanami, etc.)

Sōbu / Narita Line (Narita Express, etc.)    0.132  0.129  102%

Hokuhoku Line (Hakutaka)                     0.108  0.106  102%

Tōkaidō Main Line (Super View Odoriko, etc.) 0.081  0.076  108%

Chūō Main Line (Azusa, Kaiji, etc.)          0.293  0.281  104%
Peak-day ridership:

Code:
                   This Year                      Last Year
           ==========================     ==========================
Outbound   2013.05.03 (Fri)   310,000     2013.05.03 (Thu)   291,000
Inbound    2013.05.06 (Mon)   316,000     2013.05.06 (Sun)   325,000
Total exits at tourist-heavy stations (11-day period, 2013.04.26 to 2013.05.06):

Narita Airport: 98,000 (107%) (Total of both Narita Airport and Narita Airport Terminal 2 Stations)
Karuizawa: 46,000 (103%)
Aizu Wakamatsu: 31,000 (113%)

Total short-distance ticket sales (including IC card usage):
65.10 million (105%)

Short-distance ticket sales at major stations (11-day period, 2013.04.26 to 2013.05.06):

Shinjuku: 4.108 million (104%)
Tōkyō: 1.644 million (118%)
Ueno: 1.137 million (108%)
Maihama: 0.451 million (115%)
Takao: 0.176 million (111%)
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #1300
quashlo

JR Central Golden Week results

Official press release:
http://jr-central.co.jp/news/release/_pdf/000018423.pdf