daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1321
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Hitachi tests ETCS Level 2 in UK
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...2013/juni.html

Quote:
UK: The ‘Verification Train 3’ developed by Hitachi Rail Europe to test ETCS Level 2 onboard equipment has successfully concluded a series of running trials on the Cambrian line in mid-Wales, the company reported on June 11.

The overnight tests, which began on April 22, were designed to assess whether Hitachi’s ETCS onboard equipment could interact in compliant fashion with the lineside equipment on Network Rail’s ETCS Level 2 Early Deployment Scheme on the 210 km Cambrian route, which links Shrewsbury with Aberystwyth and Pwllheli. V-Train 3 is a former British Rail Class 37 locomotive owned by NR, which is being used to test ETCS equipment; Hitachi has developed two previous verification trains to test traction equipment and battery-hybrid technology.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1322
quashlo

Japan completes feasibility study of Myanmar rail project
http://www.livemint.com/Politics/xLy...l-project.html

Quote:
Nay Pyi Taw/Yangon: Japan has completed a feasibility study on the proposed $1.7 billion modernization of the Yangon-Mandalay railway link—a major attempt towards developing Myanmar’s railway transport infrastructure.
The rehabilitation contract for the 640km link will be given to Japanese companies because the study was funded by a grant from Japan, said Thura U Thaung Lwin, deputy minister in Myanmar’s rail transportation ministry.
Japan is also expected to provide a loan to fund the project.

Old June 17th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #1323
quashlo

Hokkaidō rail, bus operators tag-team with LCCs
北海道の交通機関、LCCと連携広がる 鉄道やバス割引

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...3A610C1L41000/

Rail and bus operators in Hokkaidō are gradually beginning to capitalize on the LCC passenger market, offering exclusive deals for LCC passengers. LCCs now comprise 10% of all domestic passengers at Shin-Chitose Airport, and bus and rail operators hope to capitalize on the growing market.

In particular, in April bus operator Hokkaidō Chūō Bus began offering 10% discounts on sightseeing buses to passengers flying Peach Aviation (based out of Kansai KIX) and Air Asia Japan (based out of Tōkyō Narita NRT). Announcements advertising the discount are made inside planes arriving at the airport.

Meanwhile, JR Hokkaidō has also targeted passengers flying these two LCCs, marketing a ¥15,000 rail pass focused on eastern Hokkaidō starting this month. The pass also covers Otaru and Asahikawa, and allows passengers to ride unreserved seats on limited expresses for five days. The pass is advertised on Peach’s home page.

This is a bit of a contrast to some of the other travel markets, where competition is heating up between LCCs and intercity rail… Recently, JR West and JR Kyūshū announced that they would be slashing fares for the San’yō / Kyūshū Shinkansen by as much as 35% for trips between urban Kansai (Shin-Ōsaka / Shin-Kōbe) and southern Kyūshū (Kumamoto / Kagoshima Chūō) in an effort to steal passengers away from LCCs. This is in addition to a special 30% discount being offered between Shin-Ōsaka and Hakata since March, which has proven to be a hit with passengers.

Peach Aviation launched a route between KIX and Kagoshima Airport in March 2012, with fares at one-third of the Shinkansen. There is also the threat of increased competition from LCCs with the planned increase in flight slots at Itami Airport, allowing for additional flights serving Kyūshū. As a result, the two railways are expanding the Fukuoka (Hakata) discount to additional destinations in Kyūshū.

To compete against the Shinkansen, ANA has also just introduced Boeing 787s on its Toyama – Tōkyō route, following the rollout on their routes in Kyūshū. Toyama Prefecture recently released a study that estimates a 50% drop in passengers on the air route once the Hokuriku Shinkansen extension to Kanazawa opens, so it will be interesting to see how everything will play out in the Hokuriku region.
Old June 19th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #1324
quashlo

Fuji Kyūkō Railway president envisions extension up to Mt. Fuji’s fifth station
富士山5合目まで鉄道で 富士急社長が構想

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...10C13A6TJ2000/

Interesting news, as thus far, we had only heard about efforts from the public side, namely, the governors of Yamanashi and Shizuoka Prefectures. Now, the president of the actual railway that serves most of the passenger demand to Mt. Fuji, the 26.6 km Fuji Kyūkō Railway connecting Kawaguchi-ko Station (河口湖駅) at Lake Kawaguchi and Ōtsuki Station (大月駅) on the Chūō Main Line, has expressed interest in extending the system up to the fifth station on the mountain. Mt. Fuji is expected to be listed as a World Heritage Site later this month, and they hope to capitalize on passenger demand.

The current plan calls for a new, 30 km alignment to take off from the existing line at either Kawaguchi-ko Station or Fuji-san Station (富士山駅), passing through the Fuji Subaru Line (i.e., the “Mt. Fuji Toll Road”, a tollway operated by an auxiliary arm of Yamanashi Prefecture), and then up to the mountain’s fifth station. The road would be demolished completely and replaced with the new rail line. Although there are some steep grades, it would be possible to run regular trains on the existing road alignment. The president also hinted that he hopes to operate a through-service from Narita Airport directly to the fifth station via JR’s network (E233 series and other JR sets already through-service regularly with the Fuji Kyūkō network).

The governor of Yamanashi Prefecture was receptive to the proposal, citing the environmental benefits of a rail line over the existing roadway. Of course, there will be many hurdles to overcome, particularly on the environmental assessment, before the plan can really move forward. Obviously, this is just in the very early conceptual planning stages, but with support from both the public and private sectors, this one may actually make it through to fruition.

Scenes on the Fuji Kyūkō Railway (2012.11.24 – 2012.11.25):

Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1325
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Hello,

I was riding the Yamanote Line today and noticed this display...What does "confirmation" mean? I forgot to take a picture of the Japanese display.

HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 05:34 PM   #1326
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Likely it means "awaiting confirmation (of cause)". You really need to see the Japanese version as that's what it's translated from.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:32 PM   #1327
quashlo

Yeah, they're probably "confirming" exactly what the cause is... In other words, the problem train is probably stopped at the station and staff are inspecting the equipment. Best guess in Japanese would be either 確認中 or 点検中.
Old June 24th, 2013, 04:22 AM   #1328
HAWC1506

Yeah I always feel like there's more detail in the Japanese version. At least they've improved a bit. Apparently "Accident" used to be the norm for everything, including signal inspection, door inspection, etc.

Today's my last day in Japan, so I'll be doing tons of videos/pictures. Planning on trainspotting at a few stations and then taking the Yamanote once around

I'm going to be so depressed when I go back to Seattle.
Old June 24th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #1329
mkill

Likes (Received): 15

You can't really top "bear collision" as a reason...

I asked a friend who's a driver on the Chuo Line and she said some of these are BS anyway. For example, they put in "car inspection" when the driver has an urgent restroom break...
mkill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #1330
ddes

Likes (Received): 929

It reminds me of the time when I was in Tokyo last year, and the screens on showed "accident" in English, but was translated into kanji (I just read it as Mandarin) as "released from human life" (forgive my lousy translation). I felt rather sad for the individual.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #1331
k.k.jetcar

Accidents involving people are called "jinshin jikou" [人身事故]. It merely means "body accident" and is purposely broad in application, and can be applied to cases of injury as well as death.
Old June 24th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #1332
HAWC1506

I actually haven't seen "Accident" at all this trip. They now specify "Passenger Injury" as a cause.

Well, today was my last full day in Japan. Ended up taking the Yamanote Line about twice around. I don't think the fare system was designed with people like me in mind. I bought a ticket for Shinagawa to Shinjuku but I passed Shinjuku the first time and didn't stop until the second time around. The entire trip was only 190 yen :P

I wanted to take a driver's cab view of the entire line, but my tripod was too short and I didn't want to hold a DSLR for an hour. Pictures will have to do along with some platform videos. I'll share once I get them processed.
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #1333
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Well, today was my last full day in Japan. Ended up taking the Yamanote Line about twice around. I don't think the fare system was designed with people like me in mind. I bought a ticket for Shinagawa to Shinjuku but I passed Shinjuku the first time and didn't stop until the second time around. The entire trip was only 190 yen :P
Well, theoretically, you're not supposed to do that. Legally, your ticket is only valid as long as you don't pass the same station twice... If you do, the railway treats your ticket as null and void. Legally, though, you can do all sorts of crazy routes like Shinagawa to Chigasaki (Tōkaidō Line) to Hachiōji (Sagami Line) to Tachikawa (Chūō Rapid Line) to Haijima (Ōme Line) to Kuragano (Hachikō Line) to Akabane (Takasaki Line) to Shinjuku (Saikyō Line), as you never pass and stop at the same station twice.

Of course, as you noted, the faregates have no way of knowing what trains you've taken, and you won't be denied exit from a station because you've been in the system "too long", since they want passengers to shop and eat inside the stations.
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #1334
k.k.jetcar

I've read that with low-value tickets (短距離乗車券) as well as IC cards like Suica, there is a time limit. And it depends on the railway. For example, with JR East it's 5 and a half hours, Odakyu 4 hours, JR West 3 hours, and Keio Railway as well as Tsukuba Express 2 hours. I've certainly been stopped at Tsukuba Express Moriya Sta. ticket gates after riding on a Pasmo for about 3 hours (including a transfer from Tokyo Metro and Keikyu)- the station staffer had to re-set my card.

Problems is, it seems to be hard to find official info regarding time limits. Perhaps this is deliberate.
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #1335
quashlo

Interesting... That's the first I've ever heard of it. I always figured as long as it's same-day travel, they don't care.

I assume you got the numbers from here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNLubJhChdI

By the way, three hours seems ridiculously low... Banshū Akō to Tsuruga, even on a special rapid, takes well over that. Even shorter journeys could reach the limit if there's a minor service disruption or if you burn some free time inside the station.
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #1336
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post

I've read that with low-value tickets (短距離乗車券) as well as IC cards like Suica, there is a time limit. And it depends on the railway. For example, with JR East it's 5 and a half hours, Odakyu 4 hours, JR West 3 hours, and Keio Railway as well as Tsukuba Express 2 hours. I've certainly been stopped at Tsukuba Express Moriya Sta. ticket gates after riding on a Pasmo for about 3 hours (including a transfer from Tokyo Metro and Keikyu)- the station staffer had to re-set my card.

Problems is, it seems to be hard to find official info regarding time limits. Perhaps this is deliberate.
This has been in place way before the introduction of RFID cards and goes back to the days of plain old tickets to thwart "creative"gate hoppers.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #1337
k.k.jetcar

Yes, youtube is a suspect source for bonafide info admittedly. I thought a regular joshaken, even a "hatsunori" minimum fare one, would permit unlimited use over one day as long as the rules are observed. And looking at this Nikkei article (MUCH more trustworthy source, obviously), that seems to be the case. Note that printed on the 130 yen ticket (the base minimum fare for JR East in the Tokyo area), it states "good for passage within the date of purchase" [通用当日限り].

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXDZO...1A810C1W08101/
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #1338
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Here is an interesting new technology developed by Kawasaki Heavy Industry.

Quote:
World's first Boogie made out of Carbon Composite Material

http://www.asahi.com/business/update...306240564.html
Kawasaki Heavy Industry releases on June 24th that they had developed the world's first boogie made out of Carbon Composite material(CFRP).
They boast that introduction of these boogies will reduce as much as 900Kg per car improving energy efficiency.

k.k.jetcar liked this post
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #1339
k.k.jetcar

Apparently the product name is "efWING". It has already been tested at the United States FRA TTCI in Pueblo,COLO, running 4500km. Reports claim it rides better and is more stable than conventional steel bogies. The fact it was tested in the U.S. may point to KHI's intention of offering it to international markets.

http://www.khi.co.jp/news/detail/20130624_1.html

*it's hard to tell without a technical diagram, but it appears to be a bolster design, rather than than a bolsterless design popular in Japan.
Old June 25th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #1340
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I wonder does this mean Kawasaki Heavy Industries--which is building the E7/W7 Shinkansen trainset--will use CRFP wheel bogies for this trainset to lighten the total weight of the trainset so we don't need excessively powerful motors for the steep climb from Takasaki to Nagano and the steep drop from Nagano to Jōetsu-Myōkō.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote