daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #1341
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
I wonder does this mean Kawasaki Heavy Industries--which is building the E7/W7 Shinkansen trainset--will use CRFP wheel bogies for this trainset to lighten the total weight of the trainset so we don't need excessively powerful motors for the steep climb from Takasaki to Nagano and the steep drop from Nagano to Jōetsu-Myōkō.
Don't know but these bogies are going to be utilized extensively with it's light weight which will reduce energy consumption and faster acceleration.
A 15 car train set will reduce 13.5 tonnes in total, that is no small feat.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #1342
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post

I've certainly been stopped at Tsukuba Express Moriya Sta. ticket gates after riding on a Pasmo for about 3 hours (including a transfer from Tokyo Metro and Keikyu)- the station staffer had to re-set my card.
I thought about this a little bit more, and TX should be a fully closed system, unless I've forgotten something... There's no through-service or cross-platform transfers with other operators, so you can't access the trains without passing through TX faregates. Your time in the system should have been far less than 3 hours... Perhaps it was just a card error?
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #1343
traveler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

Great news!
traveler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 05:52 AM   #1344
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
I thought about this a little bit more, and TX should be a fully closed system, unless I've forgotten something... There's no through-service or cross-platform transfers with other operators, so you can't access the trains without passing through TX faregates. Your time in the system should have been far less than 3 hours... Perhaps it was just a card error?
My memory is fuzzy (I've used the line 2 or 3 times) I may have transferred from the Kanto Railway or the Noda (?) Line...Otherwise I was on the Tsukuba Express for 2 (!) hours. I don't recall that.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #1345
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler View Post
Great news!
There's a like button. It takes up less bandwidth.
Old June 29th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #1346
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I've heard that JR West last fall has finally decided on a replacement for the large, but aging 113/115 Series EMU fleet that operates from Himeji west to Shimonoseki.

Any news on what will replace them? I know a two-car 223 Series EMU trainset was tested between Okayama and Shimonoseki early this year; maybe JR West will place a big order for 225 Series EMU's to finally retired that old fleet?
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #1347
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
I've heard that JR West last fall has finally decided on a replacement for the large, but aging 113/115 Series EMU fleet that operates from Himeji west to Shimonoseki.

Any news on what will replace them? I know a two-car 223 Series EMU trainset was tested between Okayama and Shimonoseki early this year; maybe JR West will place a big order for 225 Series EMU's to finally retired that old fleet?
Likely the older stock will gradually be replaced by cascading stock from the Kansai area. The Sanyo region has always been the repository of stock formerly used in the urban network in Keihanshin- even in JNR days.
Old June 29th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #1348
quashlo

Actually, JR West have said they will manufacture new cars for the Hiroshima area at least:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=4960

I didn't have time to actually post anything from the plan when it came out, but it's specifically stated in there, although without much detail. There's a Chūgoku Shimbun article archived here via 2ch with more details though.

This will be a new design specifically engineered to handle the grades of the San'yō Main Line in this part of western Japan. JR West will be replacing the automatic train stop (ATS) system in the Hiroshima area with a more advanced signalling system, and will do a coordinated rollout on the rolling stock side as part of that, replacing the current 115 series. The first trains are supposed to enter service starting in FY2014, together with the new signalling system.

As the article states, some of the trains in the Hiroshima area are over 50 years old, and the newest trains were introduced in the late JNR era (1982-83).
Old June 29th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #1349
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New livery for JR East E653 series in Inaho service between Niigata and Akita. These train replace oldest 485 series.

New colors represents the sunset over the Sea of Japan and rice plants.

http://ameblo.jp/sen-kori-shin/imagelist.html

Some videos:

Equario, Svartmetall, Nexis, sandoz25 liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1350
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
This will be a new design specifically engineered to handle the grades of the San'yō Main Line in this part of western Japan. JR West will be replacing the automatic train stop (ATS) system in the Hiroshima area with a more advanced signalling system, and will do a coordinated rollout on the rolling stock side as part of that, replacing the current 115 series. The first trains are supposed to enter service starting in FY2014, together with the new signalling system.

As the article states, some of the trains in the Hiroshima area are over 50 years old, and the newest trains were introduced in the late JNR era (1982-83).
I don't think it'll be a completely new trainset, but more likely a updated version of this trainset:

225 Series EMU

The new models will get upgraded traction motors to handle steeper gradients such as Senohachi between Seno and Hachihommatsu Stations east of Hiroshima and between Hatabu and Chōfu Stations east of Shimonoseiki.
Old June 29th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1351
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
New livery for JR East E653 series in Inaho service between Niigata and Akita. These train replace oldest 485 series.

New colors represents the sunset over the Sea of Japan and rice plants.

That's pretty cool - it looks kinda retro. Not sure on the colour splashes, though.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 09:18 PM   #1352
quashlo

Design unveiled for new Kumagawa Railway cars
新車両の内装に人吉・球磨のヒノキ くま川鉄道

http://kumanichi.com/news/local/main/20130626003.shtml

This is a third-sector railway connecting Hitoyoshi City and Yunomae Town in Kumamoto Prefecture, Kyūshū. A total of 5 new cars will be manufactured for the railway to replace aging existing trains. Design is by industrial designer Mitooka Eiji, with a design theme / concept of “country symphony” (田園シンフォニー). Flooring and tables in the new cars will make use of locally-produced Japanese hinoki cypress from the Hitoyoshi – Kuma region.

Window view on the line from Asagiri to Hitoyoshi Onsen (2012.08.17):

Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:56 PM   #1353
quashlo

Locomotive for new JR Kyūshū luxury train complete
「ななつ星」機関車完成 豪華寝台列車

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/na...202000237.html

The new locomotive to haul JR Kyūshū’s Seven Stars of Kyūshū luxury train scheduled to debut on October 15 is complete, and on 2013.07.02 the new unit left the Kawasaki Heavy Industries plant in Kōbe bound for Ōita Yard in Kyūshū. The new 96 ton locomotive is based on JR Freight’s DF200 model, but with improvements in noise reduction and other areas. The paint scheme is supposed to be reddish brown (“ancient lacquer”), but it was wrapped in a thin black cover to prevent damage during delivery. Some minor work remains to be done at Ōita Yard, including installation of the elliptical front grill.

Work on the seven passenger cars is being carried out at Hitachi’s Kasado plant in Kudamatsu City, Yamaguchi Prefecture and at JR Kyūshū’s Kokura Yard in Kita-Kyūshū City, Fukuoka Prefecture. The passenger cars are scheduled to be completed soon (sometime in mid-July). Total cost of the seven cars plus locomotive is approx. ¥3 billion.

At the Kawasaki plant:

Delivery spotted at Kokura (2013.07.03):

On 2013.07.02, JR Kyūshū also operated an extremely unusual formation (DE10 + 4 Kiha 47s + 2 Kiha 185s + DE10) as a test train for the new service:

Old July 3rd, 2013, 06:07 PM   #1354
quashlo

Nippon Kōei receives freight line design contract from Mongolian government
日本工営、モンゴル国営鉄道の設計受注

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...00C13A7TJ2000/

Construction consultant Nippon Kōei (日本工営) has received a ¥1.7 billion order from Mongolia’s national railway to design a new freight railway. The contract covers a 1,600 km freight line linking Tavan Tolgoi in south central Mongolia, one of the world’s largest untapped deposits of coal, with southern Russia. Nippon Kōei will survey local conditions to select and design the rail alignment and freight terminals, including devising strategies for areas where groundwater freezing and expansion during the winter may potentially cause track deformation. Nippon Kōei will also consider grade-separation and other safety measures in areas with high population or livestock farming, and will assist in the bidding process for a contractor to build the new railway.

The design contract is being entirely funded by the Mongolian government, and the entire project, including construction, is expected to reach over ¥500 billion in total cost. Construction is expected to begin next summer.
Old July 4th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #1355
quashlo

The “last summer” of the Esashi Line:
Source: http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/

A Kikonai-bound train departs Esashi, against a backdrop of Cape Aidomari (相泊岬) and Kamome-jima Island (鴎島) (2013.06.01, Esashi – Kaminokuni):

A special limited express run, the Esashi (えさし号), crosses the No. 1 Amanogawa Bridge (第一天ノ川橋梁) as a three-car Kiha 183 series set (2013.04.28, Yunotai – Miyakoshi):

With this section of the line set to be abandoned, tickets for this special limited express run were sold out (2013.04.28, Yoshibori – Shinmei):

Another special service, the O-zashiki Esashi (お座敷えさし号). This one is also selling out, as railfans from across the country get their last rides on the line (2013.05.12, Kaminokuni – Esashi):

Train was operated Hakodate → Esashi → Kikonai → Esashi → Hakodate (2013.05.11, Esashi – Kaminokuni):

Another special service, the Esashi Semi-Express (準急えさし号) using one of the usual Kiha 40s. Crossing the No. 2 Amanogawa Bridge (第二天ノ川橋梁) (2013.05.25, Yunotai – Miyakoshi):

Svartmetall, Equario liked this post
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #1356
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8803

Are line closures actually speeding up or are they just being reported more?
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #1357
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Are line closures actually speeding up or are they just being reported more?
I don't think there is any increasing rate of closures, but rather a continuation of closures over time given the aging population in rural areas. The greatest number of closures (especially in Hokkaido) occurred in the later half of the 1980's and into the beginning of the 90's, around the time of the breakup of JNR and the first years of JR. Perhaps with the railway hobby "boom", the spread of the internet, and the phenomenon of rural depopulation, there is more widespread awareness of closures than before.
Old July 5th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #1358
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
I don't think there is any increasing rate of closures, but rather a continuation of closures over time given the aging population in rural areas. The greatest number of closures (especially in Hokkaido) occurred in the later half of the 1980's and into the beginning of the 90's, around the time of the breakup of JNR and the first years of JR.
JR Hokkaido closed a LOT of lines after JNR broke up for one reason: the closing of most of the coal mines on that island. If you could visit Hokkaido during the time of the 1972 Winter Olympics in Sapporo, it's very likely you would still see a good number of main line and branch line steam locomotive operations (many of them hauling coal), but most of those were phased out at the beginning of 1976. The coal mines continued to operate, but most of those were closed by the late 1980's.
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #1359
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
JR Hokkaido closed a LOT of lines after JNR broke up for one reason: the closing of most of the coal mines on that island. If you could visit Hokkaido during the time of the 1972 Winter Olympics in Sapporo, it's very likely you would still see a good number of main line and branch line steam locomotive operations (many of them hauling coal), but most of those were phased out at the beginning of 1976. The coal mines continued to operate, but most of those were closed by the late 1980's.
Yes, but that doesn't account for all the lines closed in eastern and northern Hokkaido, which in total mileage far exceeds the shorter coal mine branches.
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #1360
quashlo

Toyama Chihō Railroad purchases Keihan 3000 series double-decker car
富山県の富山地方鉄道に「ダブルデッカーがきたー!!」 京阪8831号車を購入

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/07/10/221/

Looks like the cat is finally out of the bag, but Toyama Chihō Railroad (富山地方鉄道) announced on 2013.07.10 that they had purchased Car 8831 from Keihan Electric Railway. This is the double-decker “TV Car” from the final Keihan 3000 series (8000-30 series) limited express set that was retired in March of this year, and Toyama Chihō Railroad will couple the car with their existing ex-Keihan 3000 series cars (2-car formation, already repainted in Keihan red and gold) to form a three-car train to serve as the railway’s second sightseeing train, following the Alps Express that debuted in December 2011. The car will enter revenue service in its second life in mid-August after being regauged from standard to narrow gauge, making Toyama Chihō Railroad the first minor private railway (地方私鉄) to operate a double-decker.