daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2013, 02:30 AM   #1401
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

北近畿タンゴ鉄道、新型観光車両導入へ 料理や地酒など提供
Kita-Kinki–Tango Railway plans new sightseeing train

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...3A900C1LDA000/

Kita-Kinki–Tango Railway (KTR), a third-sector railway funded by Kyōto Prefecture and other entities, announced that it will begin operating a new sightseeing trainset as early as next spring. Using approx. ¥30 million in funding provided by Kyōto Prefecture and local governments along the line, the railway will refurbish existing railcars to provide the service. A similar trainset that began operating in April has proven popular among passengers, and the railway hopes to attract more passengers by introducing more trains.

The proposed name for the trainset is Kuromatsu (くろまつ), patterned after the Akamatsu and Aomatsu trains that entered service in April. All three are designed by industrial designer Mitooka Eiji. Half of the overhaul costs will be funded by the Prefectural Government, with the remainder covered by five cities and two towns along the line, including Fukuchiyama City and Maizuru City. The new train will feature a dedicated corner to enjoy cuisine featuring locally-harvested seafood, as well as a counter offering locally-brewed sake.

Services operated with the Akamatsu and Aomatsu sets recorded about 7,000 passengers through to the end of June, over 20% more than the same time last year. The trains feature abundant use of wood, along with sofa and counter seating.

===

A journey on the Akamatsu / Aomatsu:

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #1402
quashlo

Noto Railway to introduce new tourist train in coordination with Hokuriku Shinkansen extension
のと鉄道:北陸新幹線金沢開業、観光客増にらみ新車両 知事に購入費支援要望

http://mainichi.jp/area/ishikawa/new...20316000c.html

The 33.1 km third-sector railway Noto Railway linking Anamizu Town and Nanao City, funded by Ishikawa Prefecture and others, has submitted a petition to Ishikawa Prefecture to help fund the purchase of new railcars for the line. The railway is aiming to increase tourist ridership to 60,000 passengers annually (1.7 times the current levels), and hopes to attract new riders with a new tourist train when the Hokuriku Shinkansen’s Kanazawa extension opens in spring 2015.

The railway currently has seven cars in its fleet, but wants to purchase two additional cars. Ridership on the railway has been dropping as a result of rural decline and population aging, but the railway hopes to increase tourist ridership, which reached about 35,000 passengers in 2012. The railway has been faced with an annual operating deficit of approx. ¥70 million for the past few years, with Ishikawa Prefecture and local city and town governments providing ¥180 million in funding in their FY2013 budgets.

===

Visiting the Noto Railway during sakura (cherry blossom) season (2012.04.20):

Old September 7th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #1403
quashlo

Shinano Railway to introduce sightseeing train
しなの鉄道が観光列車導入へ 県産材で大幅改装、食事提供

http://www.shinetsu-navi.jp/2013/08/28_034413.php

Shinano Railway, a third-sector railway funded by Nagano Prefecture and other entities, revealed that it will introduce its first sightseeing train by sometime next summer. With the March 2015 opening of the Hokuriku Shinkansen’s Kanazawa extension looming and the Nagano – Myōkō Kōgen section of the Shin’etsu Line scheduled to be spun off from JR and into the hands of Shinano Railway as the new “Kita-Shinano Line”, the railway hopes to attract new passengers to bolster its bottom line.

The new trainset would be a repainted 3-car set of 115 series currently operating on the line, but the interior would undergo major refurbishments using locally-produced materials. Dishes created with locally-harvested food would also be available, and the trains would feature a corner introducing sightseeing spots and special delicacies. The passenger capacity would be reduced from the current 180 passengers to 100 passengers to improve passenger comfort, and the train would be operated every Saturday and Sunday, during spring and summer vacation, and during the New Year’s holiday periods, for a total of 180 days each year.

===

Apparently, there is also a chance that JR East’s Niigata office may retain the Hokuetsu limited express according to this article. JR West had already indicated that they would likely discontinue the service for their segment west of Naoetsu, but local governments including Kashiwazaki City, located far away from both Nagaoka Station (Nagaoka City) on the Jōetsu Shinkansen and Jōetsu–Myōkō Station (Jōetsu City) on the Hokuriku Shinkansen, had petitioned JR East to retain the limited express service.
Old September 10th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #1404
batangpnr 922

Likes (Received): 39

Thank You Japan

KiHa 52 137=52 127=52 122
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Mark Chua
PNR Crossing Keeper

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by batangpnr 922; September 10th, 2013 at 04:20 PM.
batangpnr 922 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 04:56 AM   #1405
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Here's a short video from the Asahi Shimbun website of the Kyushu Railway Company (JR Kyushu) Seven Stars in Kyushu luxury sleeper train, now fully painted in the final livery for the train:

sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #1406
quashlo

Japan keen to finance Chennai–Bangalore Industrial Corridor
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle5131698.ece

Quote:
Chennai, Sept. 15:

A recent Japanese delegation to India has expressed its “willingness” to financially support the Chennai-Bangalore Industrial Corridor project, with loans from the Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA).

The delegation was in Delhi last week to discuss the Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor project with Union Commerce Minister Anand Sharma.

The industrial corridor projects envisage dedicated rail and roadways for freight movement and the setting up of several industrial zones along the transport lines.

Old September 18th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #1407
quashlo

JR Kyūshū signs Seven Stars in Kyūshū charter contract with Hong Kong travel agency
JR九州、香港旅行会社と提携 「ななつ星」ツアー販売で

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...3A910C1LX0000/

On 2013.09.12, JR Kyūshū signed a contract with Hong Kong travel agency EGL Tours to charter out its Seven Stars in Kyūshū luxury sleeper train, which will begin running in October. The travel agency will offer tour packages including reservations for the train service to visitors from Hong Kong and other markets. This marks the first such contract for the service, with JR Kyūshū hoping to eventually market the service 50-50 between the domestic and foreign markets. The railway is currently in negotiations with travel agencies in Europe, Korea, and Taiwan to sign similar contracts.

In particular, EGL Tours is chartering all rooms on the one-day, two-night itinerary departing on 2014.08.02, offering it as part of four-day, five-night package including tours in Beppu. They are looking to fill a maximum of 28 reservations, focusing on the Hong Kong market.

The railway also selected the winners of reservations for the 13 services between April and June 2014. Of the 182 rooms offered, 156 targeted the domestic market, with an response rate of 9 times the supply. The response rate for the most expensive rooms on the train was 97 times the supply. The remaining 26 rooms were targeted for overseas markets, but they only received 9 responses, including passengers from Hong Kong, Thailand, and the U.S.

===

The wraps have also been taken off the Seven Stars in Kyūshū bus.

RKB video report of the press tour at the JR Kyūshū Bus Hakata office in Hakata Ward, Fukuoka City. The train will be used for long-distance travel, but the bus will be used on to take passengers on optional sightseeing tours at each of the stops, including Yufuin in Ōita Prefecture and Mt. Aso in Kumamoto Prefecture. They spent ¥30 million to renovate an existing JR Kyūshū Bus tour bus. Testing will begin 2013.09.14, but it’s not much longer until the service launches on 2013.10.15.

Old September 18th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #1408
quashlo

Hitachi to build new railcar components plant in Changchun
日立、中国に鉄道部品の新工場 政府の整備再開にらむ

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO...3A910C1TJ2000/

Hitachi (日立製作所) announced that it would invest ¥1 billion to construct a new factory to produce electrical components for railcars in Changchun City in China’s Jilin Province by FY2013 close. The company will also establish a joint venture with a local firm in Beijing with an eye towards entering China’s signaling systems market. This is the first time in about 10 years that the company will execute a major investment in the Chinese railway market. China has resumed railway plans following the 2011 high-speed rail accident, and it’s expected that investment by Japanese firms will increase.

In particular, Hitachi will establish a 50-50 JV in Changchun with Yongji Xinshisu Electric Equipment Co. (永济新时速电机电器), part of the China CNR Corporation group (中国北车集团). The JV company will manufacture power equipment, current converters, and other electrical components for CNR group railcar manufacturer CNR Changchun Railway Vehicles (长春轨道客车).

In 2003, Hitachi formed a JV with Yongji and established a factory to produce railway electrical components in Xian (Shaanxi Province). This new facility will be their second railway-related production hub in China, and the company hopes to produce about 100 units a month across both facilities, doubling its revenues in the Chinese railway market to ¥20 billion annually. BY FY2015, Hitachi will also establish a local company in Beijing to provide signaling systems, the first time they will be producing signaling systems locally in China.

The Chinese government had halted railway contracts following the 2011 accident, and Hitachi was forced to delay its original plans to open the new plant in 2012. The government resumed railway planning and construction this year, with Hitachi winning contracts worth several hundred million yen to provide electrical components for the Chinese market. Tōyō Electric (東洋電機製造) also recently won a contract to provide electrical components for a subway system in Sichuan Province, the first order from a Japanese manufacturer in two years.
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #1409
quashlo

New E653 series trains for JR East’s Inaho limited express service between Niigata and Akita via the Uetsu Main Line will debut on 2013.09.28, and they had a special open house event at Niigata Station on 2013.09.21. These sets were transferred over from Fresh Hitachi LEX services on the Jōban Line and will replace the current JNR-era 485 series trains.

Testing at Akita Station (2013.09.07):

A special charter service on 2013.09.14:

Old September 24th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #1410
quashlo

Okinawa village plans to reinstate “Sugar Train”
南大東村が鉄道“シュガートレイン”の復活を計画

http://ryukyushimpo.jp/news/storyid-...rytopic-5.html

Minami-Daitō Village (南大東村), located on Minami-Daitō Island in Okinawa Prefecture about 300 km east of Okinawa Island, is planning to reinstate the “Sugar Train”, a former railway that transported sugarcane on the island up until abandonment in 1983. The plan is part of an effort to increase tourism to the island. Planning efforts began this fiscal year, and the village is currently looking at the potential route distance, fleet, and terminals for the service. Construction work could begin as early as FY2014, with completion in FY2015. If realized, this would be the only operating railway in Okinawa Prefecture outside of the main island, as well as the southernmost railway in Japan.

Since development in 1900, the island has depended primarily on the sugarcane industry, and the approx. 30 km railway was originally built to transport the cane to the port and to sugar processing plants. Steam locomotives began operating in the village in 1916, and continued after World War II, switching to diesel locomotives in 1979. The railway also hauled passenger cars for some time to serve village residents, but began to decline after the rise of truck transport and was eventually abandoned after the 1983 sugar season. Most of the tracks have already been removed.

===

With most of the track gone, it sounds like a bit of wishful thinking, but interesting nonetheless.

A documentary on the Sugar Train:

Old September 24th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #1411
quashlo

The ex-Keihan 3000 series double-decker car began operating on the Toyama Chihō Railroad:

Old September 25th, 2013, 03:44 AM   #1412
sacto7654

If I remember correctly, the original plan for the E653's were to transfer them to Hitachi and Fresh Hitachi services between Iwaki and Sendai on the coastal portion of the Jōban Line. However, the 2011 earthquake changed those plans, and the E653's have been transferred to Inaho services between Niigata and Akita; I wouldn't be surprised they are also used on the connector service from Niigata to Jōetsu-Myōkō to connect with the Hokuriku Shinkansen service.
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #1413
quashlo

Some new CMs:

Odakyū:

Tōbu:

Kintetsu:

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries:

k.k.jetcar liked this post
Old September 28th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #1414
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

I like the MHI CM- "Being able to run fast is supported by being able to stop quickly". Something the fanbois on some other threads should keep in mind when getting overexcited over claims of 320km/h+ running.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #1415
quashlo

Yeah, running an HSR system is a lot more than just "how fast can we go".
It's a well-done CM... I thought the wordplay with nozomi 望み / のぞみ was very clever, not forced at all.
Old September 29th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #1416
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Fanboys, no point reasoning with 'em, but no one's going to go wow at braking power, even if it is obviously a vital part of the system lol.

Although, it's time enough that 360 km/h running was instated on the Tohoku line, what's the reson for delaying the introduction? Noise and environment testing?

Is there any news on the idea to run 330 km/h trains between Kyoto and Maibara?
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #1417
quashlo

If I remember correctly, noise is the biggest issue. They weren't able to bring it under the mandated thresholds in time, but I think 360 km/h will probably be part of the next generation of rolling stock for the line, since that should be around the time when they extend it to Sapporo.

As for 330 km/h on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen, there's been no news. There was some speculation that the N700A was part of a speed-up plan for the line, but there's been no definitive answers regarding that from JR Central. At this point, I'm not sure there will be a speed-up, since by the time they need to produce the next generation of rolling stock for the line, half of the Chūō Shinkansen will have opened. Although you could also argue that speeding up the Tōkaidō Shinkansen on that segment would be a good stopgap measure in the interim when the maglev ends at Nagoya.
Old October 1st, 2013, 03:29 AM   #1418
sacto7654

I don't think JR Central (who owns the Tokaidō Shinkansen line), JR West (who owns the San'yō Shinkensen line) and JR Kyushu (who owns the Kyushu Shinkansen line) will allow trains to go faster than 300 km/h for two reasons:

1) The noise generated above 300 km/h for a passing train between Tokyo and Kagoshima-Chūō stations may be too high.

2) The power requirements for running above 300 km/h between Tokyo and Kagoshima-Chūō with so many trains are too high.

Indeed, the majority of the world's high-speed trains top out at 300 km/h. Even in China, only a few of the China Rail High-speed (CRH) lines are rated for above 300 km/h operation.

Getting back on topic, It's been confirmed that JR West will buy upgraded 225 Series EMU's to replace the aging 115 Series EMU's running west of Himeji on the San'yō Main Line. Any news on when will the first units be shipped to Hiroshima for testing?
Old October 5th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #1419
quashlo

JR East’s new Tōhoku Emotion (東北エモーション) restaurant train for the Hachinohe Line, scheduled to launch on 2013.10.19, began testing on 2013.10.04 between Hachinohe and Kuji (久慈). The exterior is by Yamagata Prefecture-born industrial designer Ken Okuyama (奥山清行). The train is a refurbed Kiha 110 series 3-car formation (48 seats) featuring individual rooms, a live kitchen space, and an open dining room. The first leg (Hachinohe to Kuji) will be a course meal including locally-harvested food, while the return leg back to Hachinohe will be a desert buffet. The service will be operated on one roundtrip a day, primarily on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays until March of next year. According to the railway, seats up until March have been mostly filled already.

Daily Tōhoku video report (2013.10.04):

Old October 8th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1420
quashlo

Seven Stars in Kyūshū testing:

Along Shirahama Beach (白浜海水浴場) in Tara Town, Saga Prefectue (佐賀県太良町) (2013.09.28):

At dusk on the old Nagasaki Main Line (2013.09.28):

Early morning of 2013.10.04 at Asō Station in Kumamoto:

Apparently, there was a small incident where the train came into contact with some catenary poles twice while testing on the Nagasaki Main Line. The incidents occurred at 2013.09.14 and 2013.09.28 at Hizen Fumoto Station (肥前麓駅) in Tosu City, Saga Prefecture (佐賀県鳥栖市), which is located on a curved section of track. The poles in question were apprarently built too close to the track center, about 28 to 31 cm below JR Kyūshū’s standards. Emergency inspections along specific track sections identified a total of 75 locations where spacing from the center of track did not meet the company’s thresholds. The poles were originally installed during the JNR era, and inspections had not been conducted until these two recent incidents. The Seven Stars in Kyūshū set features air suspension to improve ride comfort, making it easier to tilt from one side to another on curves.

Apparently, sales have been doing well, so JR Kyūshū plans to increase the maximum cost per person from the current ¥550,000 to ¥566,000 to the ¥700,000 to ¥800,000 range. This would affect the DX Suite A rooms in Car 7 of the train, and the price jump is expected to help the railway cover the cost of an additional crew member to serve as an exclusive attendant for Car 7.