daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1481
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Source: tamachanhaazarashi, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #1482
quashlo

Hitachi considering expansion of Durham plant, new plant in Germany
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...g-german-plant

Quote:
Hitachi Ltd. (6501), the Japanese maker of railcars, electronics and machinery, said it is working for new rail orders that could lead it to consider a new plant in Germany or an expansion of the U.K. factory it’s building.

“We’re going full steam ahead in pushing for orders,” President Hiroaki Nakanishi told reporters today in Tokyo. The manufacturer is targeting sales to Sweden, Vietnam, India and Brazil, he said.

Japan’s trainmakers are seeking orders abroad as demand for new railroads shrinks at home, where the population is declining. Hitachi won a 4.5 billion-pound ($7.4 billion) U.K. train deal with John Laing Plc last year, and is bidding for part of the 600 railcars needed for the 16 billion-pound Crossrail route, which will provide the first east-west service across London by 2018.

“If we win the Crossrail order, we really will have our order books full,” Nakanishi told reporters today in Tokyo. “Then if we get more any orders, we’ll have to either rethink the factory we’re building or consider building another base in Germany.”

Hitachi is constructing a factory in County Durham, northern England, to make carriages to replace vehicles on intercity routes in the U.K. The production facilities will build a total of 866 carriages for the U.K., after winning an additional order in July, and will start operation in 2015, according to the company.

Hitachi already built high-speed trains for the U.K. for the British side of the Channel Tunnel.
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #1483
quashlo

Hitachi may shift railway planning business to UK
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...49640443747298

Quote:
TOKYO— Hitachi Ltd. said it is considering relocating the business planning operations for its overseas rail business to the U.K. from Tokyo, giving greater authority to a subsidiary overseas in a significant departure from its Japan-centric decision making process.

In the process of putting together plans for each of its business segments in Japan, Hitachi has been considering empowering its U.K. rail business to compile its own core management plan, including sales strategies and capital outlays, a company spokeswoman said Tuesday. The details, including how many workers would be transferred to the U.K., haven't been worked out yet.

Hitachi has businesses ranging from consumer electronics to nuclear plants. Over the past two years it has secured orders to supply 866 high-speed railway cars in the U.K., as well as provide maintenance for 27.5 years. The value of the project is estimated at around ¥880 billion. ($8.5 billion)

Hitachi's U.K. initiative underscores how the company is locked in a struggle with fierce competitors in the railway business, such as Germany's Siemens AG, France's Alstom SA, and Canada's Bombardier Inc. Environmental concerns have created brisk demand for more efficient railways in industrialized nations, while demand for infrastructure remains strong in emerging economies.

Despite the large number of Japanese companies going abroad in search of new markets, the independence of overseas units has mostly been limited to those acquired through mergers and acquisitions. For instance, Japan Tobacco Inc., which has expanded its overseas sales to about 120 countries, gives significant management freedom to its Switzerland-based subsidiary, acquired in 1999.

Tokyo-based analysts said Hitachi's rail business is a good case study in the need to delegate management oversight to overseas units because of the different railway specifications between Japan and Europe, as well as the competition in the industry.

"This is something that needs to be done by business conglomerates like Hitachi that have a number of business segments, but which don't enjoy synergy effects," said Daisuke Nakano, a partner at the consulting firm Roland Berger in Tokyo.

He added that the move isn't really surprising, and may even be a little late.

"Because of the different standards and strong rivals there, it is too late to do business (in Europe) by issuing orders each time from Tokyo."

Hitachi said it is also considering relocating part of the strategic planning capabilities of its information technology services division to the U.S. from Tokyo.

Under its midterm business plan, Hitachi aims to increase its revenue from overseas sales to more than 50% in the year ending March 2016, compared with a 41% in the last business year ended March. At the same time it aims to increase its workforce outside Japan to 150,000 people, or 43% of the total, from 118,000 people, or 36%, in the just-ended year.
Old December 14th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #1484
quashlo

Refurbishment and reassembly of the C58 239 steam locomotive by JR East’s Ōmiya division is complete, and the unit was fired up for the first time on 2013.12.12. This loco retired about 40 years ago and was put on display in Morioka City, but has been put back into working order after a one-year long overhaul and will serve on the new SL Ginga (“Milky Way” SL銀河) service to debut next April on the Kamaishi Line and other lines in Iwate Prefecture.

Asahi Shimbun video:

FNN news report:

Pics:
http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/.../12/16_13.html

What the passenger cars will look like:

Old December 14th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #1485
quashlo

SMBC to buy U.S. railcar leasing firm
http://stream.wsj.com/story/latest-h...9/SS-2-403758/

Quote:
TOKYO—Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corp. said Thursday it will buy a Chicago-based railroad leasing business from Perella Weinberg Partners LP, the latest move by a Japanese financial firm to acquire overseas assets and businesses, taking advantage of strong capital holdings.

SMBC, the core banking unit of Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, didn’t disclose the acquisition price, although people familiar with the matter said it would be around ¥30 billion-¥50 billion ($300 million-$500 million). Flagship’s assets are valued at $1.1 billion.

The purchase of Flagship Rail Services LLC would be the latest addition to SMFG’s leasing-business portfolio. Last year, Japan’s second-largest bank by market capitalization bought the RBS Aviation Capital aircraft-leasing business from Royal Bank of Scotland for $7.2 billion, catapulting the Japanese lender into the industry’s top ranks.

SMBC operates leasing businesses in the U.S. and Europe. Flagship Rail Services has about 15,000 railcars, and will be renamed SMBC Rail Services LLC following the acquisition. Its purchase will allow the Tokyo-based lender to expand its railcar leasing business, which has potential for growth thanks to solid demand for railway transportation, the bank said in a statement.

Flagship Rail Services provides comprehensive leasing business, leasing freight and tank cars as well as auditing and maintenance. It serves various industries, including energy, steel, agriculture, petrochemical, plastics, and consumer goods.

Flagship was once part of insurer American International Group Inc. In 2011, AIG sold the unit to Perella Weinberg’s Asset Based Value fund as part of a process of selling noncore assets to repay U.S. government bailout funds.

This latest move by a Japanese financial institution to buy overseas assets and businesses follows Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc.’s recent acquisition of Thailand’s Bank of Ayudhya, and Orix Corp.’s acquisition of Dutch asset manager Robeco GroepNV. in July.

In May, SMFG itself agreed to acquire as much as 40% of Indonesian lender PT Bank Tabungan Pensiunan Nasional from U.S. private-equity firm TPG, giving the Japanese bank a foothold in the fast-growing Southeast Asian economy.

Amid sluggish lending and nearly zero interest rates at home, Japanese lenders–which were unscathed by the European debt crisis–are seeking growth abroad and have become key players in the deal-making world.

Japan’s top three banks, MUFG, SMFG and Mizuho Financial Group Inc., have purchased overseas assets from European players, which have been forced to scale back in part due to regulation.

In the past few years, MUFG has purchased businesses and project finance loan portfolios from RBS. Earlier this year, it bought Deutsche Bank Group’s $3.7 billion U.S. real estate lending portfolio.

Smaller rival, Mizuho, acquired Brazilian lender Banco WestLB Do Brasil S.A. Rom Germany’s WestLB AG in June 2012.
Old December 15th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #1486
quashlo

JR East to begin operating trains with silicon carbide components in spring 2014
JR東日本、SiC回路採用車両の運行を14年春から-回生電力量30%増

http://www.nikkan.co.jp/news/nkx1120131213aaaq.html

Starting in spring 2014, JR East will begin operating trains featuring semiconductor circuit components produced with silicon carbide (SiC), which features a lower resistance and can operate at higher temperatures than the current silicon-based semiconductor components. As a result, electricity generated through regenerative braking systems can be increased by about 30%, reducing electricity consumption during train running and contributing to energy conservation. The SiC components will be incorporated into new battery-powered trainsets to debut on the Karasuyama Line in spring 2014.

JR East is aiming to reduce its electricity consumption by 8% (compared to 2010 levels) by 2020. The railway plans to introduce SiC components to new rolling stock in the development pipeline, accelerating energy conservation across its fleet of trains. The new SiC-based components will be incorporated into inverter equipment on trains, minimizing electricity loss when switching current. The components will also allow for regenerative braking when traveling at higher speeds, improving the trains’ ability to recoup energy when braking.

===

I was unaware that they were planning to use SiC inverters for the new Karasuyama Line trainsets, although perhaps it is a recent announcement, since the technology is only just being incorporated into mass production.

Apparently, Odakyū has them beat, though, as one of their recently refurbished 8000 series trains is already running with Mitsubishi-manufactured SiC inverters… The sound is quite different from other stock, and substantially quieter than the other refurbished Odakyū 8000 series that did not receive these new inverters:

Old December 15th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1487
quashlo

Some pictures of the Seven Stars in Kyūshū:

Chikugo River (筑後川), Ōita:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1004.html

Yufuin (湯布院), Ōita:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1005.html
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1007.html

Old December 15th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #1488
quashlo

Takanabe (高鍋), Miyazaki:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1010.html

Equario liked this post
Old December 15th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #1489
quashlo

Sadowara (佐土原), Miyazaki:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1012.html

Yamanokuchi (山之口), Miyazaki:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1013.html

Kirishima (霧島), Kagoshima:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1021.html

Old December 15th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #1490
quashlo

Kinkō Bay (錦江湾), Kagoshima:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1032.html

The view across the bay is to Sakurajima, an active volcano:

Kareigawa (嘉例川), Kagoshima:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1041.html

Bungo Ōno (豊後大野), Ōita:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1043.html

Robi_damian liked this post
Old December 16th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #1491
riles28
train

Likes (Received): 38

I've been notice on youtube some train car in good condition are scrap, here in the Philippines we need more additional rolling stock for our state owned rail company (PNR) to sustain the need of the passenger.
riles28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #1492
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by riles28 View Post
I've been notice on youtube some train car in good condition are scrap, here in the Philippines we need more additional rolling stock for our state owned rail company (PNR) to sustain the need of the passenger.
Well, you might get some more ex-blue train stock next year, as the Akebono is getting the axe this March.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #1493
quashlo

Hitachi establishes new business hub in India for rail projects
日立、インドに鉄道事業の拠点設置

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/economy/new...5310005-n1.htm

On 2013.12.16, Hitachi Ltd. (日立製作所) revealed that it had established a new operating hub in the Indian capital of New Delhi to expand its railway sector business, including high-speed rail and freight rail.

With India pushing forward on construction of a freight railway linking New Delhi with the commercial powerhouse of Mumbai and plans heating up for introduction of high-speed railways, Hitachi hopes the new office will strengthen its corporate readiness.

In addition to marketing and other administrative duties, the new business hub will also be responsible for supplying components and certifying quality for local railcar manufacturers. Hitachi will also use the new office to market its signaling technologies and other train control systems.

Earlier this month, a consortium of Japanese firms won a contract to conduct a detailed feasibility study for a high-speed line linking Mumbia with the industrial city of Ahmedabad in western India. With many second-tier cities are also constructing or planning monorail and subway systems, the growing business opportunities enticed Hitachi to move forward with a stronger presence in the Indian market.

===

Other articles:
http://www.nikkei.com/markets/kigyo/...16122013TJ1000
http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=eco_30&k=2013121600644

There’s no official press release yet, but we can still piece together the information from these articles…

The new company is called Railway Systems Company Hitachi India (レールウェイ・システムズ・カンパニー・ヒタチ・インディア), and was established on 2013.11.01. Currently, they only have about 15 or so staff, but they plan to focus on marketing efforts for the Mumbai – Ahmedabad high-sped line and Delhi – Mumbai freight line, offering Hitachi’s expertise in railcar technologies and singaling / train control.

Hitachi is already expanding its presence in the Indian market in other sectors, and has begun work on constructing a new automobile engine factory in Chennai. Their business plan for the Indian subcontinent (インド地域戦略2015) published last year calls for investing a total of ¥70 billion in India between FY2012 and FY2015, and they have already implemented or finalized about half of that investment total. Now, they are looking to actively pursue mergers and acquisitions to strengthen their local presence.

Hitachi also held its first-ever overseas Board of Directors meeting in December in India, and on 2013.12.16 and 2013.12.17, sponsored a Hitachi Group exposition in India, focusing on its social innovation, information and communications, and infrastructure systems expertise.
Old December 16th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #1494
quashlo

Mitsubishi Electric purchases Italian railcar AC systems manufacturer Klimat-Fer
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/news/2013/1216.pdf

Quote:
Tokyo, December 16, 2013 - Mitsubishi Electric Corporation and Italian railcar air-conditioning systems manufacturer Klimat-Fer S.p.A, today announce an agreement that will see 80% of Klimat-Fer’s shares incorporated into Mitsubishi Electric’s railcar business in Europe. From April 2014, the move will bolster the company’s market position as well as local sales, production, and after sales support.

The railcar air-conditioning systems market in Europe is the world’s largest with annual growth expected to be in the region of 2 to 3%. Additionally, the manufacturing bases of most of the world’s major car-builders are also based in Europe.

Klimat-Fer has had a presence in Italy for over half a century. Its railcar air-conditioning systems business has been ranked at the top of the market in Italy due to its cutting edge technology and product reliability. Mitsubishi Electric’s experience and advanced technological knowledge will leverage Klimat-Fer’s business in the areas of innovation and sales, both enhancing its business structure in Europe and the expansion of its global transportation systems business.

Klimat-Fer S.p.A, run by Chief Executive Matteo Todesco, was founded in 1963 and is based in Padua, Italy for sales, engineering, manufacturing, and support for railcar air-conditioning systems.

Takahiro Kikuchi, Executive Officer and President of the Public Utilities Systems Group at Mitsubishi Electric comments: “Klimat-Fer is a well established and respected business in this sector both in Italy and Europe. We are very pleased to be joining forces with them to strengthen our market share across Europe and enhance our product development and sales offer.”

Matteo Todesco at Klimat-Fer’s comments: “All Klimat-Fer’s staff is proud to become part of Mitsubishi Electric Corporation and confident that they will be able to play an important role for the expansion of Mitsubishi Electric’s transportation business in Europe.”
===

Japanese press release:
http://www.mitsubishielectric.co.jp/...6.html?cid=rss
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #1495
quashlo

Naruko Gorge (鳴子峡), Miyagi Prefecture:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1016.html

Freight trains on the Chichibu Railway (秩父鉄道):
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1040.html

Bungo Ōno (豊後大野), Ōita:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/...ntry-1046.html

Akita (秋田), Akita:
http://denshawotorou.blog73.fc2.com/blog-entry-990.html

CP11, Sopomon, SamuraiBlue, 3737, Swede and 2 others liked this post
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #1496
fikri_lines98

Likes (Received): 144

Thank You Japan

one of 180 units of JR East 205 series for KCJ ( Keretaapi Commuter Jabodetabek )

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

with KCJ colour scheme

fikri_lines98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #1497
quashlo

How are the six-door cars being used?

Specifically, do they fold up the seats at all, or are they permanently locked in the down position so passengers can sit? Are all of the doors used?
Old December 19th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #1498
quashlo

Seven Stars train off to rolling start in Kyushu
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.UrM8VPtN9rN

Quote:
FUKUOKA – Kyushu Railway Co.’s Seven Stars “cruise train” has won rave reviews from those willing to pay a premium for rail trips and is getting strong support from residents and businesses along its route.

The sleeper train service debuted on Oct. 15, offering overnight or three-night, four-day rail trips to key tourism spots around Kyushu. The most expensive package was a suite for two that cost ¥1.1 million.

A total of 471 passengers have taken part in 17 “voyages” so far, including the one that left Dec. 14. The crew keeps track of the individual data for each passenger, including their anniversaries and favorite music, according to the railway.

The lists are checked by staff multiple times in advance to provide personalized service, which includes cakes and bouquets.

The pianist on board has a repertoire of several hundred songs and can play requests ranging from “enka” (ballads) to current pop songs.

One day, a couple who had just registered their marriage but not held the wedding ceremony yet came on board. So the staff held a homemade wedding ceremony for them, complete with certificate and cocktails.

“It’s a special day for our customers. We want to respond to their requests as much as we can,” said Yoshio Naka, deputy chief of JR Kyushu’s cruise train department.

The crew also once received flowers from the passengers as a token of gratitude.

Communities along the route also play a part. In late October, the Miyazaki Prefectural Government welcomed passengers with a banner and a personal reception from Gov. Shunji Kono.

When an approaching typhoon made it difficult for the passengers to visit Aoshima Shrine, on an island just off the coast, the itinerary was changed to take them to a local product pavilion near the prefectural government offices after it promptly accommodated their request.

At some stations, the rare luxury train appears to garner the same level of attention as it did on its debut journey, with kindergartners coming to wave at the passengers as it passes.

At these stations, hundreds of admission tickets are being sold.

“I was thrilled to see local people waving at us,” said a passenger in her 70s from Tokyo.

The locals’ enthusiasm may be explained in part by JR Kyushu’s past efforts to rev up the regional economy, when it ran a series of unique tourist trains.

Seven Stars is the culmination of those efforts, based on a concept developed by JR Kyushu President Koji Karaike over more than 20 years.

“I’ve never been this tense or nervous in my life,” Karaike said as he expressed relief over the trains’ successful start.

Despite its overall success, some customers have complained about the poor timing of the meal services and the train’s tight itinerary.

“What we are aiming at through the service of hospitality is not wrong,” cruise train unit deputy chief Naka said. “We will upgrade the quality and refine our skills.”

Romance rekindled: A platform in JR Hakata Station is filled with passengers from the Seven Stars luxury train.
===

RailSim 2 model:

According to this article, JR Kyūshū will also increase the price of reservations for trips departing in August through November 2014 by about 10% to 23%. The most expensive tickets, for a two-person suite, will increase to ¥1.4 million (¥700,000 per person), helping to cover the cost of providing an additional crewmember who will attend exclusively to Deluxe Suite (DXスイート) passengers.

The price increase will affect the fourth round of ticket sales, covering 7 3-night 4-day courses and another 7 1-night, 2-day courses (14 trains total), which will be available for purchase between 2014.01.04 and 2014.02.28. For the 3-night, 4-day course, Deluxe Suite A reservations will increase to ¥700,000 (up from ¥566,000 in the third round), Deluxe Suite B reservations to ¥600,000 (up from ¥515,000), and Suite reservations to ¥430,000 (up from ¥391,000). Reservations for the 1-night, 2-day course will be about ¥180,000 to ¥280,000 per person.

The new prices reflect the inclusion of alcohol (some exceptions), as well as revisions to the itinerary for the 3-night, 4-day course following complaints that the schedule was to tight. In response, the railway will add free time in Yufuin (Ōita) on the first day of the itinerary.
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #1499
fikri_lines98

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
How are the six-door cars being used?

Specifically, do they fold up the seats at all, or are they permanently locked in the down position so passengers can sit? Are all of the doors used?
i don't know actually, the train is still in test run & awaiting the certification from ministry of transportation.

but some people said the 6-door car still used..

sorry for my bad english
fikri_lines98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #1500
quashlo

Thanks... Your English is fine.

I was just curious since none of the other ex-Japanese trainsets in Jakarta feature them. Meanwhile, the 6-door cars are becoming rarer and rarer in Japan... The new trainsets (E233 series) replacing these 205 series do not come with 6-door cars.