daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #1521
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Only the 0 series and 100 series had an exclusive trainset for use for Imperial train duties… Nowadays, it’s just a train from the regular revenue-service Shinkansen fleet that is operated as a special exclusively to carry the respective members of the Imperial family.

There was one 8-car 0 series trainset used exclusively for Imperial train services—basically a 12-car formation without Cars 3 through 6. First use was on 1965.05.07 for the National Tree-Planting Festival (全国植樹祭) in Shimane Prefecture. Was expanded to a 12-car formation in 1966.04 for the National Tree-Planting Festival in Okayama Prefecture. Last run was in 1984.05, after which it was replaced by a 100 series trainset.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%96%...88.97.E8.BB.8A

From 1986.05 onwards, the Imperial train services for Shinkansen were handled by a special 100 series trainset. The preference was to use the double-deck green cars, which made it easy to deploy the necessary security personnel, which could be accommodated on the lower level of the car while the respective members of the Imperial family used the upper level.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%96%...83.B3.E8.BB.8A

Even though the double-deck cars (and the 100 series) were eliminated from the Tōkaidō Shinkansen, the preference remains to use green cars, first the 700 series, now the N700 series (and presumably the N700A series). You can’t tell with the naked eye, but some of the trainsets in the revenue fleet are actually designed for VIP use… Some of the green cars are designed with bulletproof glass, either in some or all of the windows, so it is these sets that are selected for Imperial train duties. Not sure what the situation is with the GranClass cars, but I imagine there may be one or more E5 / E6 sets with specially-outfitted GranClass cars which would perform the same duties.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #1522
quashlo

Three-train Imperial entourage on the Kyūshū Shinkansen… All are 8-car N700 formations from the regular revenue-service fleet for the Kyūshū Shinkansen. Usually, you have at least two trains in each Imperial entourage… The first is the tsuyu-harai train (露払い列車), basically an empty train placed in the lead position to confirm that the tracks are safe and there is no danger to the Imperial family. The second train is usually the one that actually carries the Imperial family. In some cases, there is a third train that follows in the last position in the entourage, to serve as a fallback should there be some problems with the second train.

10-car E2 J class unit on the Nagano Shinkansen on Imperial train duties. Revenue services on the Nagano Shinkansen currently use 8-car E2 N class units.

Old December 30th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #1523
quashlo

Some peaceful railway scenes as we close out the year...
Thanks to Sr.Horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:15 AM   #1524
quashlo

Mitsubishi Electric to launch railcar traction inverter with all-SiC power module
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/news/2013/1225.html

Quote:
TOKYO, December 25, 2013 - Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (TOKYO: 6503) announced today that it has launched a railcar traction inverter system for 1,500V DC catenaries that incorporates the world's first all-silicon carbide (SiC) power modules made with SiC transistors and SiC diodes. The all-SiC inverter greatly reduces power loss, size and weight compared to conventional insulated gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) power modules and hybrid power modules made with Si transistors and SiC diodes.

Mitsubishi Electric's large-capacity, all-SiC power modules are expected to help save power as well as lower the size and weight of equipment used in high power trains including Japan's Shinkansen.

Railcar traction inverter with all-SiC power modules

SiC application range

The new traction inverter system's switching loss is approximately 55% less than Mitsubishi Electric's conventional inverter system incorporating IGBT power modules. The new system also increases regenerated energy through the use of regenerative brakes in all speed ranges. Thanks to these solutions, total energy consumption of railcar systems, including their motors, is reduced by about 30% compared to conventional systems.

Size and weight are reduced by about 65% compared to conventional inverter systems with IGBT power modules and about 30% compared to existing hybrid inverter systems with SiC diodes.

The number of components is reduced by integrating SiC transistors and diodes into one package per inverter circuit phase.

Energy saving in total railway systems is further enhanced by effectively transferring regenerated electric power from the railcar to stations to be equipped with Station energy-saving inverters (S-EIV).

Main specifications of new traction inverter system
Input voltage: 1,500V DC
Main circuit system: Two-level PWM inverter with regenerative brakes
Control system: Four traction motors with 180kW, parallel control
Cooling system: Self-cooling

Background
The dielectric strength voltage of SiC is about 10 times greater than that of Si. SiC devices can operate at higher temperatures than Si devices because of the high breakdown voltage and low conduction loss of thinner semiconductors. Unlike the ongoing development of SiC diodes, development of SiC transistors has proven difficult due to problems with crystal preparation, which requires highly advanced insulation and package technologies capable of withstanding high temperatures. Mitsubishi Electric's R&D and production units combined their respective expertise in semiconductor development and manufacturing to successfully develop the new large-capacity, all-SiC power module with MOS-FET for use in the world's first all-SiC railcar traction inverter. Development of SiC power modules has been partially supported by Japan's New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO).

Mitsubishi Electric's previous record of SiC inverter development
In October 2011, Mitsubishi Electric produced a railcar traction inverter for 600V DC, 750V catenaries incorporating the world's first large-capacity hybrid SiC power modules. With help from Tokyo Metro Co., Ltd., the system was field-tested in commercial railcars operating on its Ginza Line subway, demonstrating 38.6% energy reduction comparing to conventional inverters in other railcars operating on the same line.
Japanese press release:
http://www.mitsubishielectric.co.jp/news/2013/1225.html
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:41 AM   #1525
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Mitsubishi Electric to launch railcar traction inverter with all-SiC power module
I have absolutely no engineering background, but 30% reduction in power consumption and 65% reduction in size compared to IGBT systems are pretty big numbers. I see it's the system used on the new Ginza Line cars.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 08:03 PM   #1526
quashlo

Yeah, I imagine the components probably cost more to produce than for the current IGBT-based models, but even if they did, a 30% reduction in energy consumption and 65% weight reduction over the course of the equipment's life cycle seems huge.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 07:47 PM   #1527
quashlo

Some interesting details were revealed about the luxury sleeper train being planned by JR East similar to JR Kyūshū’s Seven Stars in Kyūshū, The president of JR Esat revealed the information in an interview with the Kita-Nippon Shimbun (北日本新聞)
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...-kitanihon-l16

In particular, we now know the following about the planned train:
  • At least one of the routes for the service will connect Tōkyō with Toyama and the Hokuriku region.
  • The train will be a 10-car formation, with each passenger car housing about two to three suites. As expected, dining and lounge spaces will also be provided.
  • The train will use an “EDC design” (EDC方式) capable of running on both electrified and non-electrified track.
  • Routes will cover the entirety of the country (日本全国), changing with the seasons and themes.
  • The design will be handled by industrial designer Okuyama Ken (奥山清行), who also designed the E7 series trains for the Hokuriku Shinkansen.
Of special interest is the reference to routes that cover the “entire country”… It’s not clear what exactly this means, since my initial understanding of the service was that it would be confined to JR East’s service area. Toyama and the Hokuriku region, however, are fully within JR West’s service area, but zairaisen service would be transferred over to publicly-funded third-sector railways when the Hokuriku Shinkansen extension opens, meaning the arrangements to operate the service would probably be similar to what already exists for long-range sleeper services like the Hokutosei.

However, it seems a bit of a stretch to call one route to the Hokuriku region “all of Japan”, so it would seem that they may be planning other routes, some of which likely overlap into the service areas of JR Central or JR West. Since JR Central isn’t planning a similar luxury sleeper service of its own, it seems like this could be a good option… Perhaps a route along Sagami Bay to Izu via the Tōkaidō Main Line, Itō Line, and Izukyū Line, then back up along Suruga Bay via the Tōkaidō Main Line to Fuji, and from there via the Minobu Line to Kōfu and Yamanashi.

===

Clips of the Seven Stars in Kyūshū on the Nagasaki Main Line on the 1-night, 2-day course to Nagasaki:

Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:58 PM   #1528
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
However, it seems a bit of a stretch to call one route to the Hokuriku region “all of Japan”, so it would seem that they may be planning other routes, some of which likely overlap into the service areas of JR Central or JR West. Since JR Central isn’t planning a similar luxury sleeper service of its own, it seems like this could be a good option… Perhaps a route along Sagami Bay to Izu via the Tōkaidō Main Line, Itō Line, and Izukyū Line, then back up along Suruga Bay via the Tōkaidō Main Line to Fuji, and from there via the Minobu Line to Kōfu and Yamanashi.
It would certainly be interesting to see JR East's new luxury cruise train through central and eastern Japan. Maybe we'll see the new luxury train on the Iida Line between Tatsuno and Toyohashi?
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:02 AM   #1529
quashlo

Well, I thought about it a little, and the conclusion I came to is that JR East will have somewhat of a challenge in coming up with good routes.

Kyūshū is perfect for this sort of thing because each of the cities / prefectures has a very distinct identity. Fukuoka / Hakata, Ōita / Beppu, Miyazaki, Kagoshima, Kumamoto, and Nagasaki each have unique qualities—no two are alike—but they are all crammed onto a relatively small island, so it works really well for this type of service.

Perhaps it's just me, but I feel like the destinations in JR East's service area are a little more spread out and tend to lack the appeal that Kyūshū has. I'm drawing a blank just thinking of potential destinations at the same level of recognition as what Kyūshū has to offer... All I can come up with is Nikkō and Hakone. Maybe you throw in Mt. Fuji (probably more JR Central service area) and Matsumoto / Nagano, but I honestly can't think of anything else. There's some stuff further north in Tōhoku, but it seems just a tad too far away.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:18 PM   #1530
quashlo

JR Hokkaidō to convert rest of Nemuro Main Line to concrete sleepers
JR北海道、札幌―釧路間の全枕木コンクリート化 18年度までに

http://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/news/donai/513202.html

Starting this spring, JR Hokkaidō will break ground on work to replace wooden sleepers on the Nemuro Main Line (根室本線), which serves trains such as the Super Ōzora (スーパーおおぞら) limited express, with modern concrete sleepers as part of strengthening the railway’s safety measures. The railway will also speed up the completion of the project, finishing the work in FY2018, one year earlier than the original schedule.

According to the railway, of the 348.5 km of the main line between Sapporo and Kushiro (釧路) and the double-track sections used to allow trains to pass, wooden sleepers still remain on about 75 km in discontinuous segments between Kushiro and the Kami-Ochiai signal box (上落合信号場) in Ochiai, Minami-Furano Town (南富良野町落合). The other segments of the line have already been converted to concrete sleepers.

Concrete sleepers are more resilient against distortions in the track gauge and warping of the rails over time compared to wooden sleepers, improving track maintenance efficiency and durability and reducing long-term maintenance costs. The railway plans to begin the replacement on sections where damage to the wooden sleepers is most severe.

The railway says that introduction of concrete sleepers and reinforcement of the trackbed are part of its efforts to return train service back to the original speeds before the slowdown. A definite timeline for dissolving the temporary slow zones and returning to a full train schedule has yet to be determined, however, and is dependent on the completion of efforts to revamp the railway’s maintenance scheme for rolling stock and other components. A strengthened trackbed is the first step to speeding up trains, but experts have also pointed to the need for expanded introduction of continuously-welded rail and additional measures to reduce the demands on rolling stock.

Since November of last year, Super Ōzora service dropped from 7 daily roundtrips to 6, with the top speed reduced by 20 km/h to 110 km/h. As a result, average travel times between Sapporo and Kushiro are 4h 11m, about 20 minutes longer than the original schedule.

A Super Ōzora traveling on wooden sleeper track near the Shin-Kushiro River (新釧路川) in Takaramachi, Kushiro City (釧路市宝町).

===

Kiha 283 DMUs on the Super Ōzora in winter. These trainsets have tilting capability to allow faster speeds on curves.

Cab view on Super Ōzora 5 (Sapporo to Kushiro). You should be able to see some of the sections still using wooden sleepers.

Equario liked this post
Old January 4th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #1531
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Regarding the picture of the wooden sleepers from the article above- it is standard railway practice to use wooden sleepers on bridges, as they are placed directly on the steel structures. Using concrete would likely produce too much stress on the concrete, as well as cause a tremendous racket when trains traverse the bridge. Thus, the wooden sleepers will remain, while the track on ballast will be placed on concrete sleepers.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 07:38 AM   #1532
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26116

Early published in Japan high-speed rail about fire next Yurakucho station, which cause rail delays. Below is photo mix with this fire and closed station from Japan Time:

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #1533
fikri_lines98

Likes (Received): 144

Another pic of KCJ's 205 series ex- JR East Saikyo Line

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
fikri_lines98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #1534
quashlo

New JR Shikoku 8600 series limited express on the production line at Kawasaki’s plant in Kōbe:
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/superhakuto.../11039480.html

Old January 8th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #1535
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26116

Today on Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...-contract.html

Thales wins East Japan Railway CBTC contract
08 Jan 2014

JAPAN: East Japan Railway has selected Thales as preferred bidder for a contract to design a communications-based train control system for Joban Local Line in the greater Tokyo area. The scope includes 14 stations on the 29·7 km Ayase - Toride route, along with 70 trainsets.

Subject to a final contract being agreed, Thales will undertake design work which is expected to take about a year. If JR East then determines that the proposed system would meet its requirements, Thales would be asked to supply and install CBTC to go live around 2020.

The CBTC installation would then be compared with the domestic Advanced Train Administration & Communications System which JR East has piloted on its Senseki Line and is to be deployed on the 37 km Saikyo Line between Ikebukuro and Omiya by late 2017.

'With this contract Thales becomes the first non-Japanese company to enter the Japanese signalling market, via the city of Tokyo, home to the world's busiest railway network', said Jean-Louis Moraud, Country Director of Thales in Japan, on January 8. 'Thales is pleased to bring its latest signalling technology and experience in urban rail systems modernisation to a country that already benefits from great advances in the transport sector.'

Thales said its CBTC has been proven on more than 55 projects covering more than 1 300 track-km carrying 3 billion passengers/year in cities worldwide.

JR East had received 10 expressions of interest in the CBTC trial contract, before shortlisting Alstom and Thales in February 2013. The project forms part of JR East's plans to replace its life-expired automatic train control with more modern technology offering shorter headways, higher capacity and improved life-cycle costs, with less lineside cabling and fewer skilled maintenance staff needed.

ko7 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #1536
sacto7654

Is the 8600 Series trainset an EMU or DMU? EMU means it's primarily used between Okayama, Takamatsu and Matsuyama; DMU means it can go to Tokushima or Kōchi.
Old January 8th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #1537
quashlo

It will be an EMU.

特急形直流電車の新製について (Production of new limited express DC electric trains):
http://www.jr-shikoku.co.jp/03_news/...3-11-25/01.htm
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:22 AM   #1538
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
It will be an EMU.

特急形直流電車の新製について (Production of new limited express DC electric trains):
http://www.jr-shikoku.co.jp/03_news/...3-11-25/01.htm
I looked it up on Wikipedia and the two-car 8600 Series EMU's will be used on the Ishizuchi limited express train between Takamatsu and Matsuyama.
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #1539
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40723

Another doubt...

The traffic of freight trains (JR Kamotsu) between Honshu and Hokkaido via Seikan Tunnel is significant?
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #1540
quashlo

Data is here:
http://www.mlit.go.jp/common/000190085.pdf‎

Current traffic in Seikan Tunnel
Passenger: 30 trains / day
Freight: 51 trains / day

Maximum speed
Passenger: 140 km/h
Freight: 110 km/h

Freight volume carried by train
Originating from Hokkaidō: 2.21 million tons / year (41% railway share)
Destined for Hokkaidō: 2.25 million tons / year (43% railway share)

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post