daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #1621
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Well thankfully double decker trains are relatively uncommon in Japan, the operating philosophy values frequency and low station dwell times over individual train capacity, at least in commuter operations.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #1622
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

OT: If the GB loading gauge is 20 cms higher than the Japanese one, i should be possible for double deck trains to fit the GB gauge, right?
Old March 14th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #1623
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post

Well thankfully double decker trains are relatively uncommon in Japan, the operating philosophy values frequency and low station dwell times over individual train capacity, at least in commuter operations.
If only more countries would grasp and implement that concept the world of public transport would get a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post

OT: If the GB loading gauge is 20 cms higher than the Japanese one, i should be possible for double deck trains to fit the GB gauge, right?
Depends. It's not only the absolute height that counts, but also the shape. Most UIC gauges have a rounded shape on top. Given that standard continental freight cars can't be used in the UK for transporting containers, because the upper edge falls outside the loading gauge shape, you would probably get a very cramped double decker with an upper deck shape similar to London Undergrounds 1973 stock.

It's shape is also the upside of the Shinkansen loading gauge. It's basically a 3.4m by 4.5m rectangle with chamfered edges on the bottom, which was put to good use for the E1 and E4.
Old March 15th, 2014, 07:14 AM   #1624
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Kawasaki supplies world’s first CFRP bogies to Kumamoto Electric Railway

Press release:
http://www.khi.co.jp/news/detail/20140314_1.html

Kawasaki Heavy Industries announced that it has won a contract to supply private operator Kumamoto Electric Railway (熊本電気鉄道) with two units of its efWING bogies, the world’s first carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) bogies. The bogies were installed onto one of the railway’s existing cars, and began operating in regular revenue service on 2014.03.14.

The efWING uses strong, but light CFRP material in portions of the bogie frame that have traditionally used steel, and replaces the standard suspension coil springs with bow-shaped CFRP springs, simplifying the suspension and substantially reducing bogie weight and energy costs. The improved suspension of the efWING also stabilizes the wheel forces acting on the rails, improving ride comfort for passengers and reducing the likelihood of derailment.

===

Ex-Tōkyū “Green Frogs” on the Kumamoto Electric Railway:

k.k.jetcar, .D. liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #1625
k.k.jetcar

KHI's efWING presentation at the Good Design 100 event last December:

The train (Kumamon Densha) fitted with the bogies (rear car):

quashlo liked this post
Old March 15th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #1626
quashlo

Thanks. Bit surprised that Kumamoto Electric Railway was first... I expected that the first customer would be a railway looking to install them on a new train.
Old March 16th, 2014, 05:32 AM   #1627
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Thanks. Bit surprised that Kumamoto Electric Railway was first... I expected that the first customer would be a railway looking to install them on a new train.
It could be the big railway operators (大手私鉄 and JR) are taking a wait and see attitude with this product. Kumaden makes for a nice initial proving ground given the undemanding conditions.

I have no knowledge of bogie durability/service life, but it seems that among trainset components, bogies are (with good maintenance regimen) among the most durable, with many being re-used and sold on the second-hand market- so this may be another obstacle to efWING making a dent in the replacement market. But as you say, perhaps the main target is installation in new trainsets.
Old March 16th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #1628
quashlo

Potential Akechi Railway steam loco connection to maglev
リニアからSL乗車 岐阜県、明知鉄道結ぶ構想

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/s/article/...890085743.html

In preparation for the 2027 opening of the first phase of the Chūō Shinkansen maglev between Nagoya and Tōkyō, on 2014.02.17 Gifu Prefecture revealed a conceptual plan to operate a tourist-oriented steam locomotive service to connect the existing Akechi Railway (明知鉄道) with Gifu Prefecture’s future maglev station, planned for a location in Nakatsugawa City.

According to the prefecture’s strategic plan, the steam loco service would operate between Mino Sakamoto (美乃坂本) Station, adjacent to the future maglev station, and Ena (恵那) Station, about 5 km west on the JR Chūō Main Line. At Ena, the SL would then continue on Akechi Railway tracks to the terminus at Akechi Station, affording visitors a complete 25 km journey by steam locomotive.

While Akechi Railway doesn’t currently operate steam locomotives, the third-sector operator of the service, together with local citizens, have already begun fundraising efforts in the hopes of getting SLs running on the line. The service would use the C12 series locomotive formerly used on the railway when it was still part of the Japan National Railways (JNR) as the “Akechi Line” and currently preserved at a location in Ena City.

Gifu Prefecture will now enter into negotiations with Akechi Railway and JR Central regarding the plan, in the hopes of the getting the service started in time for the maglev opening.

===

The first step in the process already took place, with the former loco (C12 244), preserved for 40 years at Akechi Elementary School (明智小学校), being transported to its new temporary home at Akechi Station in December 2013:

C11 and C12 series locomotives in operation on a separate railway in Tochigi Prefecture, Mooka Railway (真岡鉄道):

Old March 18th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #1629
quashlo

Last run of the Akebono sleeper service was on 2014.03.14.

A couple of FNN video reports:

Last outbound service at Ueno, where 2,500 railfans assembled to bid the service a final goodbye.

kyah117 liked this post
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #1630
quashlo

Some railfan captures:

Last inbound service at Akita, where 400 fans gathered:

Last outbound service arrives at Akita on the morning of 2014.03.15:

A final PV tribute:

Old March 19th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #1631
quashlo

Japan’s first lithium-ion battery train, the EV-E301 series ACCUM, entered service on the Utsunomiya Line / Karasuyama Line in the Utsunomiya area on 2014.03.15.

Charging at Karasuyama Station and running scenes:

More running scenes:

Equario, Svartmetall liked this post
Old March 28th, 2014, 04:13 AM   #1632
quashlo

On 2014.03.17, JR West invited the press as guests for the boiler mounting of steam locomotive C62 1, which is currently undergoing a once-every-4-years full overhaul. The event was held at Umekōji in Kyōto.
http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/.../03/25_11.html

Equario, Hegemonic liked this post
Old March 29th, 2014, 12:37 AM   #1633
quashlo

As part of construction work for the Hokkaidō Shinkansen, JR Hokkaidō officially decommissioned three stations on the Tsugaru Kaikyō Line on 2014.03.14. While we already knew about the two stations inside the Seikan Tunnel—Tappi Kaitei (竜飛海底) on the Aomori side and Yoshioka Kaitei (吉岡海底) on the Hokkaidō side—there was a third station that was only now abandoned with the regular timetable changes on 2014.03.14: Shiriuchi (知内) Station. The station owes its roots to the Shin-Yunosato signal box (新湯ノ里信号場), which opened together with the Seikan Tunnel and the two undersea stations in March 1988. In July 1990, the station officially opened for passenger service as an unstaffed station, with four Super Hakuchō limited express services stopping each day. However, construction of the Shinkansen will require them to remove the existing zairaisen platforms and platform bridge, so the station has been officially taken out of service like its counterparts, Yoshioka Kaitei (ended passenger service in 2006) and Tappi Kaitei (ended passenger service in 2013).

Tour of the station about a month before it was abandoned:

Old March 29th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #1634
quashlo

Freight service on the 4.0 km Kita-Ōji (北王子) branch ended when JR Freight formally abandoned the branch on 2014.03.14. This branch connects the Tabata sidings (田端信号場) with Kita-Ōji in Tōkyō’s Kita Ward and had been in use to transport paper products from the Senseki Line’s Ishinomaki-kō (石巻港) Station at the Port of Ishinomaki and the Tōhoku Main Line’s Iwanuma (岩沼) Station to an exclusive freight lead near Kita-Ōji Station serving a Nippon Paper (日本製紙) factory. Nippon Paper plans to relocate the factory in September, and JR Freight has now officially ended service on the branch line.

In 1987, the branch carried 222,000 tons of freight in FY1987, maxing out at 354,000 tons in FY1995 before dropping back down into the 200,000 t range in recent years. After the Tōhoku earthquake, the number dropped precipitously to 53,000 t in FY2011, only recovering to 134,000 t in FY2012. With no other customers expected for the branch, JR Freight will now file an application with the MLIT to formally abandon its Type-1 railway license to operate the line on 2014.07.01.

A tour of the line:

The last train (2014.03.14):

Freight trains and cherry blossoms on the Kita-Ōji branch:

Old March 29th, 2014, 04:25 AM   #1635
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

You can see the now-closed Shiriuchi Station from 39:55 to 40:18 of this zenmen tenbou (cab view) video of the Super Hakuchō limited express train right after it exits the Seikan Tunnel going north:

sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #1636
.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Kawasaki supplies world’s first CFRP bogies to Kumamoto Electric Railway

Press release:
http://www.khi.co.jp/news/detail/20140314_1.html

Kawasaki Heavy Industries announced that it has won a contract to supply private operator Kumamoto Electric Railway (熊本電気鉄道) with two units of its efWING bogies, the world’s first carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) bogies. The bogies were installed onto one of the railway’s existing cars, and began operating in regular revenue service on 2014.03.14.

The efWING uses strong, but light CFRP material in portions of the bogie frame that have traditionally used steel, and replaces the standard suspension coil springs with bow-shaped CFRP springs, simplifying the suspension and substantially reducing bogie weight and energy costs. The improved suspension of the efWING also stabilizes the wheel forces acting on the rails, improving ride comfort for passengers and reducing the likelihood of derailment.

===

Ex-Tōkyū “Green Frogs” on the Kumamoto Electric Railway:

lol that is cute!
.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:43 PM   #1637
quashlo

Europe and Japan discuss rail trade agreement
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/0...ade-agreement/

Quote:
The very first EU-Japan Industrial Dialogue on Railways has been held in Brussels hoping to boost international relations between two of the world’s leading rail sectors.

Organised by the European Commission and Japanese government, the event, which took place on March 27, addressed key issues in the EU-Japan Free Trade Agreement (FTA) negotiations, touching on technical regulations, safety standards and market access issues.

The talks coincided with the fifth round of EU-Japan Free Trade Agreement negotiations.

The Community of European Railway and Infrastructure Companies (CER) and the European Rail Industry Association (Unife) took part in the meeting.

In a statement after the event, CER said there was “a need to intensify the level of mutual recognition between the EU and Japan in order to alleviate the process of accessing a market without already being established in it”.

Unife director General Philippe Citroën added: “The Industrial Dialogue should give impetus to the ongoing negotiations in the rail sector as it provides a platform to monitor commitments. In this respect, Unife has high expectations for the fifth round of negotiations set to take place next week, and expects a comprehensive set of measures to be agreed upon to achieve a level playing field between the European and Japanese rail markets.”
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:44 PM   #1638
quashlo

The new 3000 series for the Hakone Tozan Railway (箱根登山鉄道) will debut on November 1:
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2014/04/01/087/

Special website (still under construction):

http://www.hakone-tozan.co.jp/special/
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:27 PM   #1639
smithrh

Likes (Received): 10

Red JR flip phone!

In http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOzQ8jTcSg8, the train operator uses a very distinctive red flip phone with a clear JR logo on it. This device also has a circle of white LEDs which is also very unique.

8:31 in the video gives a fairly clear shot of the device.

This device is used after the emergency brakes are applied.

I hesitate to call this device a cell phone as it's possible that it's a two-way radio, but that's not entirely likely for various reasons.

I am guessing that the color, prominent JR logo and white LEDs are to distinguish this device from any personal cellular device.

Anyone have information on JR's radio network? I do find it a bit odd that they wouldn't use 2-way radio in this case...
smithrh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:47 PM   #1640
sombra2
ちょっと!

Likes (Received): 2

for the rest of the railwaymen in the world, seems weird (and even funny) a 10' delay just because of the application of emergency brake... I would have been sacked years ago! lol
sombra2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote