daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #241
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamandell (d69) View Post
Twice before, in 1908 and 1948.

London will become the first city in history to host the modern Olympics 3 times.
Technically, Athens hosted it 3 times (1896, 1906 and 2004).
1906 are not included in the history of the Olympics because they are out of sync with the whole 4 year, leap year thing.
Infact, these forgotten about Olympics are what started today's trends of Opening/Closing ceremonies, NOC's and raising of the national flags making them one of the most influential of all games!

But I am only joking about London not being the first to host 3 games, just pointing out that technically, it has infact happened before.

Last edited by Giorgio; March 5th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #242
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Why doesn't London just use Wembley Stadium for the opening and closing ceremonies and the track and field events?

Wembley is too beautiful not to be utilized for the Olympics.

Last edited by hoosier; March 6th, 2008 at 02:43 AM.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #243
CrazyMac
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Why doesn't London just use Wembley Stadium for the opening and closing ceremonies and the track and field events?

Wembley is too beautiful not to be utilized for the Olympics.
Because London's bid was based on regeneration of a wasteland in the East of London, bringing with it all the benefits that entails to the local population after the games finished.

Using exsisting venues was one of Paris's major disadvantages and why London won the bid.

Besides, Wembley will be used for the Olympic football final.
CrazyMac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #244
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 37

Looking out on to the site from the Greenway last Saturday
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #245
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

Aquatics Centre

Aquatics Centre

The site of the London 2012 Aquatics Centre has been cleared and is on track for construction to start by Beijing 2008, new images published by the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) showed today.

A lot of progress has been made in recent weeks on what is one of the most complex and challenging parts of the Olympic Park clean up.

Eleven industrial buildings have been demolished on the site, around 80,000 tonnes of soil has been dug out, much of it contaminated and requiring cleaning, and over 40,000 tonnes of clean soil brought on to prepare the site for construction. Over 500 metres of new river walls have been installed which will widen the river by eight metres when the existing river walls are removed later this year. Archaeological investigations have been completed on site, including recording evidence of a prehistoric settlement.

By the summer construction will start on the Zaha Hadid Aquatics Centre which during the Games will mark the entrance to the Olympic Park from Stratford. The Aquatics Centre will host Swimming, Diving, Synchronised Swimming, Water Polo finals and elements of Modern Pentathlon. After the Games temporary seating will be removed, leaving in legacy a 2,500 capacity swimming venue that can be boosted to 3,500 seats, and local community and school swimming facilities.

The statutory consultation period on the planning application for the venue ended this week. There has been a very positive response from over 150 local people that have attended the drop-in consultations in the Newham, the Borough in which the Aquatics Centre will be based.

ODA Chairman John Armitt said: 'The Aquatics Centre will be the ‘Gateway to the Games’ in 2012 and in legacy will be a new landmark building for London, a new home for elite swimming and a new sustainable resource for the local community.

'The challenging site is starting to take shape ready for construction to start by Beijing 2008. Industrial buildings have been demolished and recycled, contaminated soil is being cleaned up and the waterways are being widened. The transformation of the site for Games and legacy is on track.'
[IMG]http://i25.************/33esia8.jpg[/IMG]
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #246
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

that shot is amazing gives real scope as to the size of constructing the olympic park.And given what they have to do to get it to this stage then you understand why it cost's what it cost's don't think bejing or athens quite had to go through this with contaminated soil and all the contamonated water ways that takes alot of time effort and money.
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #247
savas
head up funny boy

Likes (Received): 413

Nice to see pictures of the site. I hope more to come!
savas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #248
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

OK, let's go back to the "logo" topic and I think I know the reason for the weird design. I am not being negative here so no need for any brutal attack . IMO, the logo was made to get attention not only to the people of London but to the world as well. London organizers are being smart here. If you make a logo that looks nice, then only few people will recognize or people will just "ignore" it because everyone expects a good design. If you design something weird, then people around the world will notice and talk about it. And that's what make it more popular. This is similar to the celebrities like Britney Spears and Paris Hilton who are doing everything they can to get attention. Look at how much attention they are getting now.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #249
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6360

Well done.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #250
somataki

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
This is similar to the celebrities like Britney Spears and Paris Hilton who are doing everything they can to get attention. Look at how much attention they are getting now.
If u want 2012 games to be the Paris Hilton of the olympics...plastic and cheap....so it's ok but everyone expected a muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better logo and olympic stadium.
somataki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #251
Olympiaki-Agones

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by somataki View Post
If u want 2012 games to be the Paris Hilton of the olympics...plastic and cheap....so it's ok but everyone expected a muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better logo and olympic stadium.
Well, they don't mind to be critized for having an ugly logo, once thay are in the mouth of the whole world and they sell.
Olympiaki-Agones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #252
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post
Overly i was very dissapointed in London, how it looked like and everything i wasnt bored but just really dissapointed.
Every city has their "dirty" parts. I loved London when I went there. Maybe it was the fact it was around 80 F instead on 60 F, but the city was kickass!
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #253
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

Yeah I guess I've seen the logic of the 2012 logo. Originally disliked it and thought it would never be successful... I still dislike it but it sure is getting people talking and that has to be a good thing.

As for being the Paris Hilton/Britney of the Olympics... well, as long as it sells the brand, I guess.
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #254
toddhubert

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
Yeah I guess I've seen the logic of the 2012 logo. Originally disliked it and thought it would never be successful... I still dislike it but it sure is getting people talking and that has to be a good thing.

As for being the Paris Hilton/Britney of the Olympics... well, as long as it sells the brand, I guess.
I really don't like the 2012 logo, even a logo from the Chinese National Games will be much better than this one. And I can't satisfy with the design of the 2012 Main stadium, it just like an old design in 1980s.
toddhubert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #255
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

Who knows, it may still be redesigned. theyve got a little time..
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #256
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

But large part of the main stadium is disposable anyway so there's no need for it to look good.
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #257
jerseyboi
BANNED

Olympic bowl march 08

[IMG]http://i25.************/5droy8.jpg[/IMG]

The construction of the Olympic Stadium will start by the end of May – three months ahead of schedule, the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) has confirmed today.

Progress on the Stadium site will surge ahead this week as work completes to dig the Stadium bowl and the site offices are established for workers.

Ground levels have had to be lowered by nine metres to create the sunken area for the track and permanent lower tiers of seating. This means that over 800,000 tonnes of soil – enough to fill the Royal Albert Hall nine times over – has had to be been taken away from the Stadium area over the last three months to be reused elsewhere on the site.

Before construction begins, work will continue to create the podium level and form the Stadium construction platforms. Approximately 6,500 cubic metres of concrete will be recycled from other parts of the site and crushed to form a solid platform to support construction works.

ODA Chairman John Armitt said: 'We have investigated the Olympic Stadium site, demolished tens of buildings and excavated 800,000 tonnes of soil.

'Now that we have finished the work to dig the bowl where the opening and closing ceremony and athletics will take place in 2012, we are firmly on track to start construction work ahead of schedule.'

The site offices for the Olympic Stadium workers have also been constructed ready for numbers to dramatically increase. At the peak of the construction of the Olympic Stadium, there will be well over 1,000 staff based in the site offices, ranging from engineers and architects to foremen and digger drivers. The first 50 are expected to be move to the offices next month.

The Olympic Stadium is largely an island site surrounded by waterways and is contaminated from many years of previous industrial use. Highly-sensitive monitoring has been carried out on the site during the earthworks programme and this has detected small amount of low level radiological finds in the soil in the area. This soil, with mild radioactive properties present due to the past industrial activity over the last 100 years or so, is being managed so that it presents no risk to public or workers.

It has been stockpiled separately on site and will be taken away to be disposed of in the next few weeks. The ODA has been cooperating with the relevant authorities, the Environment Agency and Health and Safety Executive, throughout this process.

The ODA has already carried out ecological surveys and translocations of fish and newts from the stadium site as well as archaeological and excavation work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

www.2012olympichost.com < new look site soon

Last edited by jerseyboi; March 11th, 2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #258
jerseyboi
BANNED

[IMG]http://i29.************/4s1nk1.jpg[/IMG]

you get a scale of the stadium site!

Last edited by jerseyboi; March 11th, 2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #259
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

It's a shame that this site was allowed to become so polluted in the first place, but I am glad London is going to cleanup this area and transform it into a beautiful Olympic Park.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #260
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

after viewing 13 pages of posts with a varrying degree of attention for each post I have a few comments to add to this topic.

In response to the person (whose name eludes me) who said that China and Greece need(ed) glitzy Olympics to cast away their shadowed image from their former ancient glorious past. This person needs to read some history and cut down on deregatory arguments because they lower the level of discussion.

The Byzantine lasted until the fall of Constantinople and up to that point Greece was as glorious as ever because Western Europe literally fell apart and into decay while during the existence of the Byzantine Empire arts and architecture flourished.

What the Greeks produced in Ancient times was the driving force in something called the Renaissance. Even the feat of the Greek Independence and the country's performance during WWII deserve nothing but admiration and praise. Even Winston Churchill acknowledged that. All that the Greek culture has produced throughout its centuries continues to have an effect on our lives (for the Western World atleast). Athen's Olympics was symbolic and not a 'coming out' event. Greece showed that even the smallest of countries can have an immense impact on the world.

China as well remained a pretty decent and wealthy empire up until the onset of the Opium Wars in the 19th Century. Over the past two decades China is in the process of waking up from its siesta. The Olympics will be the sign that the giant named China has finally awoken and will revive its position as a global player. It is indeed a 'coming out' event. I also admit that China has a poor record for the environment and human rights.

After saying that:

I totally support the whole concept of the Green Olympics and the area of the project because East London should be revitalised. Using the Wembley Stadium will be indeed a bad idea for all the reasons mentioned.

But the Logo is simply poor and uncreative. Hands off. The Olympic stadium is also oversimplistic but I admit that I like the whole concept for the 'skin' of the Stadium. I love it! But definately not the stadium. The other stadia look quite modern and slick. I like those!!

My only concern is the 'Terrorism' expenditure. The UK and USA will probably remain the terrorists' Number 1 targets if their governments continue with the same policies. And the Olympics are already costing a pretty penny.

Final point which will probably earn me the most amazing argument I've ever since in a discussion: London is dirty, ugly but not really that boring!

Nevertheless I'm sure London will pull through and produce some very good Olympics like the previous two times!

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics