daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #2701
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7139

2012 Cable Car

by meharris75.

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #2702
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Great Britain will provide additional 13,500 military troops for 2012 London Olympics

some cool footage

Last edited by SO143; December 20th, 2011 at 02:40 AM.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #2703
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

[IMG]http://i42.************/23lf4sy.jpg[/IMG]

Channel Tunnel/ French side
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:00 AM   #2704
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
High Line Landscape Architect Tapped to Build an Olympic Labyrinth for the London Games

The verdict is in: after launching a design competition in July for London’s forthcoming 50-acre Olympic Park, the Olympic Park Legacy Company has announced James Corner Field Operations and erect architecture as the winners.

James Corner, the New York-based landscape architect, put himself on the map after designing the celebrated and oft-copied High Line park. His other notable work is Freshkills Park, the former Staten Island landfill the borough will, with Corner’s help over the next 30 years, reclaim as a recreation area that will be twice the size of Central Park.

He's bringing his landscaping expertise to the Olympic Park's south end between the Olympic Stadium, the Aquatics Centre, and the park's centerpiece, the Anish Kapoor and Cecil Balmond-designed ArcelorMittal Orbit sculpture, a mammoth work of red, twisting tubular steel. He’ll be planting a hedge labyrinth (exciting!), event lawn, and outdoor theater along a tree-lined promenade.[.....]
http://artinfo.com/news/story/753844...e-london-games
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:07 AM   #2705
seema999

Likes (Received): 0

LONDON | 2012 Olympics Park Development News

The first neighbourhood to be built will be called Chobham Manor and, according to the Legacy Company, it will be “a return to London’s traditional family neighbourhoods of terraced and mews houses, set within tree-lined avenues

Hotels in Zirakpur
seema999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:27 AM   #2706
SO143
BANNED

image hosted on flickr
Old December 21st, 2011, 06:33 PM   #2707
jerseyboi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Photos from london2012.com

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
kool
Old December 21st, 2011, 07:11 PM   #2708
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

Just got back from London yesterday. Looking wonderful right now. Very easy walking distance from tube as well.
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:36 PM   #2709
jerseyboi
BANNED

Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:25 AM   #2710
SO143
BANNED

Photo credit to darrenlewis

London 2012 Velodrome, December 2011

image hosted on flickr

London 2012 Velodrome & BMX Circuit, December 2011

image hosted on flickr

London 2012 Handball Arena, December 2011

image hosted on flickr

London 2012 Water Polo Arena, December 2011

image hosted on flickr

London 2012 Chobham Academy, December 2011

image hosted on flickr

London 2012 Eton Manor, December 2011

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

London 2012 Hockey Centre & IBC/MPC, December 2011

image hosted on flickr

London 2012 Aquatics Centre, Water Polo Arena, Stadium & Orbit tower (left), December 2011

image hosted on flickr

London 2012 Olympic Park Aerial View

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Second set of London 2012 Olympic Rings

image hosted on flickr

All rights reserved by darrenjle15
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:40 AM   #2711
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 229

Really taking shape!
Old December 23rd, 2011, 05:36 PM   #2712
jerseyboi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post

Kool
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:47 PM   #2713
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

It's not exactly awe-inspiring. Out of this development and Beijing, you'd be pretty hard pressed to tell which was the Third World Communist utilitarian country and which was the supposedly Rich First World country. The shopping centre looks like something out of some third rate city suburb in America, the housing is disgracefully uninteresting, and the Stadium couldn't be any less cheapskatey and tacky. I know it's tough times but surely we want to promote tourism: if I wanted to see stupid looking sculptures, commie blocks and ridiculous attempts at making landscape look like some new Japanese car concept, I'd go to North Korea.
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #2714
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6360

Idiot.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #2715
g.yau

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
It's not exactly awe-inspiring. Out of this development and Beijing, you'd be pretty hard pressed to tell which was the Third World Communist utilitarian country and which was the supposedly Rich First World country. The shopping centre looks like something out of some third rate city suburb in America, the housing is disgracefully uninteresting, and the Stadium couldn't be any less cheapskatey and tacky. I know it's tough times but surely we want to promote tourism: if I wanted to see stupid looking sculptures, commie blocks and ridiculous attempts at making landscape look like some new Japanese car concept, I'd go to North Korea.
That's just your opinion. In London our target was to create the most memorable Olympics ever (Based on the sports and the Culture/Art of London and not on the architecture of the Olympics) We have many advantages over Beijing, for example clear skies and materials used for the stadium; I remember there were problems with the smog and the breathing problems in Beijing, and the whole Olympic stadium was built with concrete (If you look at London's one, it's built with recycled metal, easy to replace and easy to take out.)

Do you think that London taxpayers are ready to pay for a large amount of money just for the architecture of the Olympic stadium? We aren't even getting discounts on the tickets. Anyway why do we have an amazing Olympic stadium, when we already have an amazing Velodrome and a Zaha Hadid Aquatic Center.

You may think it's not up to Beijing's standard, but our environment and future plan for it is different. If you look at Beijing's olympic stadium, it's just a white elephant now and the Aquatic Center is a water park for kids. But for London the Olympic Stadium is going to be a football stadium and the Aquatic Center will remain as a neighbourhood swimming pool, a school and a neighbourhood is already made; shows you that London is already thinking about future uses.

Last edited by g.yau; December 24th, 2011 at 02:00 AM.
g.yau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #2716
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

At first I didn't like it either (the London scheme). But now that the first plants are growing I see it's gonna be AWESOME! This is going to be a great place to just walk around. Really love how green the whole area is becoming. Something Beijing didn't really have. Only the main stadium is a bit disappointing so far. Is that wrapper still coming?
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #2717
ArtNouveau

Likes (Received): 105

I'd say this is more a white elephant than Beijing. It was made to be reduced- as such the materials that would have been taken down will not last..all well and good
Until the ODA goes back on its word and turns an ugly, temporary, athletics stadium into a permanent football stadium. The temporary sections will of course have to be replaced costing even more money
Ironic that by initially trying to avoid creating a white elephant, they created the fattest one of them all. Now whenever i hear the word "legacy" I just think sugarcoated hypocrisy
ArtNouveau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #2718
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.yau View Post
That's just your opinion. In London our target was to create the most memorable Olympics ever (Based on the sports and the Culture/Art of London and not on the architecture of the Olympics).
I appreciate that, but architecture is very important: the difference between good and bad architecture can be millions of pounds: it can turn the same building from a local monstrosity into an international tourist draw: look at the Guggenheim, Mount Rushmore, Dubai, and imagine them if they were unimaginative small scale places.

Quote:
We have many advantages over Beijing, for example clear skies and materials used for the stadium; I remember there were problems with the smog and the breathing problems in Beijing, and the whole Olympic stadium was built with concrete (If you look at London's one, it's built with recycled metal, easy to replace and easy to take out.)
Why do you want to take it out if it's going to be used in the future? And who gives a flying chinchilla about the materials other than the Olympic commitee? When you say memorable, what you mean is, most likely to get a lot of headlines about eco-friendliness.

Quote:
Do you think that London taxpayers are ready to pay for a large amount of money just for the architecture of the Olympic stadium?
Frankly, I think the residents of East London would rather have good architecture than recyclable materials and environmentally aware parking facilities or whatever it is. It doesn't have to cost the earth to make it liveable.

Quote:
We aren't even getting discounts on the tickets. Anyway why do we have an amazing Olympic stadium, when we already have an amazing Velodrome and a Zaha Hadid Aquatic Center.
Because the olympic stadium is the most important venue: it's where the Opening and Closing ceremonies will be, it's where the most watched events like 100m final will be, it's in fact the one building that needs to be spectacular. Fat chance of that, when I'll probably be able to see Wembley Stadium from my seat there next Summer and wonder why they didn't just have it there if they were going to put so little effort into making it look good.

Quote:
You may think it's not up to Beijing's standard, but our environment and future plan for it is different. If you look at Beijing's olympic stadium, it's just a white elephant now and the Aquatic Center is a water park for kids. But for London the Olympic Stadium is going to be a football stadium and the Aquatic Center will remain as a neighbourhood swimming pool, a school and a neighbourhood is already made; shows you that London is already thinking about future uses.
Fair enough, I don't disagree Beijing was a human rights disaster and spared no abuse of the little guy to make itself look good on TV without any thought for what would happen after. However I don't see why we have to completely surrender any attempts at making it look good on TV ourselves, especially considering the benefits. Are you focussing on the eco-friendly aspect because we've been made to do so by the government and commitee, or because you think it is actually more important than what the people whom you are so kindly building all these facilities for are going to think of them?
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #2719
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I'd say this is more a white elephant than Beijing. It was made to be reduced- as such the materials that would have been taken down will not last..all well and good
Until the ODA goes back on its word and turns an ugly, temporary, athletics stadium into a permanent football stadium. The temporary sections will of course have to be replaced costing even more money
Ironic that by initially trying to avoid creating a white elephant, they created the fattest one of them all. Now whenever i hear the word "legacy" I just think sugarcoated hypocrisy
Please learn your facts. The ODA didn't go back on its word, the ODA has nothing to do with this. The ODA is the body responsible for building the venues, not legacy.

The Mayor decided it was better to sell the stadium off than try to make the 25k athletics legacy actually work. The OPLC was then tasked with finding a buyer. That process collapsed when West Ham/Newham's bid was seen to be reliant on arguably illegal loans and a new process to find a tenant rather than a buyer is now only just starting. It amazes me that, since nobody yet knows exactly what the legacy will be, you can say this is a white elephant, let alone the biggest one of them all. I'm not going to argue the process of sorting the stadium legacy hasn't been a mess but that doesn't mean the final legacy will be a mess. Let's wait and see what becomes of it shall we?

Beijing's Stadium is strange case. If they're happy with it being a museum and a tourist attraction and it's making them money then I suppose technically it isn't a white elephant. But it is very, very sad to see one of the most awe inspiring stadiums in the world not hosting sporting events (or at least not with any regularity; I think they've had two in there since 2008). It's a monument to "2008" and very little else. So in that sense, it's very easy to disagree with Copperknickers when he says it's difficult to tell which is the communist country and which is the Western democracy. An overblown statement of the power of the state which has no sporting legacy but which encourages local pilgramages is about as communist as you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
The village comparison is irrelevent. Beijing's village was more flatpack than London's but guess what, nobody saw it on TV. The TV cameras in London's Games won't focus on the village either. In London's case the proof of the pudding will be in the legacy and I suspect the flats will sell off quite quickly. The shopping centre is a big Westfield and is nothing to do with the Olympic development other than being next door to it so I don't see how you can criticise the Olympic organisers based on this.

As for how the stadium looks, let's wait for the wrap to be installed before we make any final judgements on the exterior, because that's a hugely important element that is not yet there. Interally, it's stunning - a match for Athens' and trumping Beijing's dark repressive interior in my opinion - and will make a superb Olympic Stadium. The interior matters more than the exterior to be honest. That's what we'll be seeing most of.

The rest of the architecture in the Park is either temporary, not meant to be stand-out (the handball arena) or by world class architects (velodrome and aquatics centre).

It's not as awe-inspiring as a lot of Beijing's set-piece statements, but it's still very good. Rio will follow London and from what I've seen they're not going to come close to matching a lot of Beijing's architecture either. Their stadium for the 100m final - an event you claim above requires world-class architecture - is a fairly non-descript 60,000 seat athletics stadium which in my opinion doesn't look as good as London's Stadium. But I've no doubt they'll host a superb Games with a brilliant atmosphere.

And I doubt the 2020 host will come close to Beijing either, unless the IOC deins to choose Doha which would horrify me but no doubt please your own aesthetic sensibilities because they're one of the few countries that also goes in for architectural dick-size competitions. If you're going to judge every future host based on Beijing's ridiculously overblown standards you'll probably be constantly dissapointed, sorry.

Last edited by RobH; December 24th, 2011 at 01:39 PM.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #2720
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Alot of people don't realise that London has more well known existing venues then Beijing. Why else does London get to host more international and national sports events then Beijing. Beijing was very militaristic and staged, London will be more natural, 'human' and more fun. Besides beijing can't compete with our existing and historical venues:

Wimbledon
Lords Cricket ground
Wembley
Horse Guards Parade
Greenwhich Park
The O2 arena
Exce Arena
Earls Court
Wembley Arena etc etc

Besides I prefer our velodrome, aquatics centre and landscaping (which you still have to wait for summer to get the full effect). I also think our Olympic stadium will surprise alot of people (if you look at it closely you could see the stadium is almost on an island surrounded by water. So I wouldn't knock it until we see London in action.

I also think if we had a poll of people around the world asking them were would they have a better time for the Olympics, Beijing or London? I would think most would say London. Beijing was such a controlled environment, everything was so staged and kind of sucked out the human nature of the games. So all in all even during the worst recession I think London is doing great and I wouldn't change it for Beijing. Don't judge London while it is still a building site in the winter. Wait until the Games in the Summer.

Oh and we should ALL count ourselves lucky we are even getting a chance to see the progress through photos or in person. In Beijing photos were hard to come by let alone being allowed to be on the actual site.

Last edited by Its AlL gUUd; December 24th, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics