daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #2801
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
hell with football & London. This 2012 games are going to be the "most ordinary" of all the summer olympics after what Sydney, Athens & particularly Beijing steller show.

cant wait for 2016 Rio De Janero when summer olympics will return to its former glory since 2008 beijing.
Silly little Indian boy perks up again with his baseless opinions on the UK again. I bit my tongue in the Orbit thread with your stupid posts but it's getting boring now coming into this thread reading the same rubbish. I get that you don't like anything in this country, London has nothing on NYC bla bla bla, anything it builds, its sporting culture or its people. If that's the case, don't comment.

Last edited by RobH; February 4th, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #2802
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis Loiner View Post
BBC News: Will London 2012 be the greenest Olympics ever?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16853201

Nice attention to detail. I hope the Park does become a great place for wildlife after the Games are over. Certainly there's enough waterways and grassland for that to happen.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #2803
Mr_Andersonn

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
hell with football & London. This 2012 games are going to be the "most ordinary" of all the summer olympics after what Sydney, Athens & particularly Beijing steller show.

cant wait for 2016 Rio De Janero when summer olympics will return to its former glory since 2008 beijing.
The London Games for me are going to be the best Olympics ever...

You're not invited HinduStani...........
Mr_Andersonn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #2804
economia
dakri makela

Likes (Received): 10

will be good games, maybe better than atenes and peking.
economia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #2805
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #2806
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7139

[IMG]http://i43.************/15rjpsi.jpg[/IMG]
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #2807
jerseyboi
BANNED

[IMG]http://i41.************/w2njwn.jpg[/IMG]

BMW have unveiled the design of their floating showroom in the London Olympics Park.

The elevated site will sit between the Aquatics Centre and the Olympic Park showcasing the automobile giant’s work.

It will use water from the river to create an eye-catching ‘water curtain’ feature, which cools the structure in an innovative and sustainable way.

Christopher Lee, Serie co-founder and principal architect, added: “The design takes the idea of the pavilion in the park – the Victorian bandstand – but instead of one pavilion we envision nine pavilions clustered together to form a family.”

Tim Abbott, managing director of BMW Group UK, added: “As a major investor, manufacturer and employer in the UK, BMW Group is deeply proud to be an official partner for Britain’s first Olympic & Paralympic Games since 1948.

“This commitment to the UK is also reflected in our choice of a home-grown architecture practice to design our pavilion and we’re delighted that Serie’s final design reflects our commitment to sustainable thinking in such an innovative and eye-catching manner.

“We believe it provides a truly worthy addition to the Olympic Park”.

Around 8,000 people a day are expected to visit during this summer’s Games.

As the official car supplier to London 2012, BMW will also provide a fleet of around 4,000 vehicles to help transport athletes and officials during the Games.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/london-...#ixzz1lhrMTEmb

Illustration by MIR
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #2808
msl1
msl

Likes (Received): 130

Cool looking!

V commercial for the 'non-commercial' ethos of the Olympics though. Nonetheless, a nice design.
msl1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #2809
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
[IMG]http://i43.************/15rjpsi.jpg[/IMG]
i have never seen this stadium covered by snow
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2810
jerseyboi
BANNED

London 2012: Weymouth Jurassic stone sculpture unveiled

A collection of 16 Jurassic stones mounted on steel plinths have been unveiled in Dorset to mark the 2012 Olympic games.

The sculpture is near the Jurassic roundabout in Littlemoor, Weymouth, and is close to the venue for the Olympic and Paralympic sailing events.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-16970605
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #2811
guyversa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

guyversa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #2812
jerseyboi
BANNED

UK launched add campaign for Britain and Olympics

[IMG]http://i42.************/2qvff3k.png[/IMG]

A multi-million pound international campaign has been launched to entice visitors to the UK and for Olympics.

Campaign cities :
Beijing -Berlin -Los Angeles -Melbourne
Mumbai -New Delhi -New York
Paris-Rio de Janeiro -Sao Paulo
Shanghai -Sydney -Tokyo -
Toronto
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #2813
jerseyboi
BANNED

Olympics-UK going great guns on tourism push

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81803O20120209

Reuters) - Britain launched on Thursday its biggest ever campaign to attract visitors to its shores, exploiting a unique year in which London will host the Olympics and Queen Elizabeth celebrates 60 years on the throne.

"(GREAT Britain) is the largest ad (campaign) in our history," said Jeremy Hunt, Secretary of State for culture, Olympics, media and sport of the 125 million pound trade and tourism initiative.

"We're taking the fight for the tourist pound right to our competitors' doorsteps... there will be no escape from the message that Britain is great."

The international trade and tourism drive is split into a 25 million "image campaign" and a 100 million pounds "tactical campaign" invested over a four-year period across 20 source markets, to be co-funded by companies including British Airways, easyJet, P&O Ferries and Radisson Hotels .

Britain, already the sixth most visited country in the world, plans to splash images promoting its heritage around airports, metro stations and road junctions in 14 cities around the globe, with the aim of attracting over 4.6 million extra visitors over the next four years, and securing an additional 2.3 billion pounds in visitor spend.

The cities include Los Angeles, Tokyo, Beijing, New Delhi and Sydney.

"If you are looking for one traditional British quality that you won't see this year, that is modesty," Hunt said.

The campaign is a cross-department effort between tourism agency VisitBritain, the British Council (educational marketing) and UK Trade and Investment (business investment marketing).

USING THE GAMES

Critics have questioned whether the UK requires such a costly awareness-raising campaign in a year when the UK will already be receiving unsurpassed attention from the eyes of the world. But the government message is clear: There is nothing automatic about a tourism boost, Games or no Games.

"It is an incredible privilege to host the Olympics, and we want to do everything we can to make sure that the legacy from hosting the Games is jobs... for British businesses as a lasting legacy," Hunt told journalists today.

Sandie Dawe, chief executive of VisitBritain added that 2012 is a critical year for the long-term success of British tourism.

The cross-department group aim to convert interest in the UK into the decision to actually commit to visiting.

Shanghai and Beijing commuters will have already noticed the posters that line the cities' metro stations. Two hundred Mumbai taxis will be dressed in the campaign's creative, as will New York subway trains.

In a move which Hunt admits is "cheeky", a billboard outside the Louvre in Paris bellows out the message that "Culture is GREAT Britain", and that museums are actually free in London. GREAT will also link up with international events such as next week's New York Fashion Week.

Overall, the campaign is expected to reach 90 million people.

The UK travel industry figures worry that fewer traditional, foreign tours will come to London this summer.

The European Tour Operators Association ETOA.L announced after a November 2011 survey a dramatic reduction in bookings during the summer 2012 period.

The group said visitors will be put off by the London crowds and the possibility of higher hotel prices. European travel is also likely to be significantly affected by the ongoing Eurozone crisis.

Hunt has in recent months regularly dismissed fears that tourists will stay away from Britain during the Olympics, listing the many other cultural reasons for people to visit.

Today, the minister painted a picture of 2012 as a series of massive promotional "punches", from the cross-country Olympic torch relay on May 18, through the Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee celebrations in June, the Olympics' opening ceremony on July 27 and the London Festival 2012, a 12-week programme of concerts, exhibitions, films and live events which marks the culmination of the four-year Cultural Olympiad.

Hunt said an extra 600,000 international visitors were expected because of the Games.

The government is seeking to bolster UK domestic tourism in 2012 with a four million pound advertising campaign, beginning March 8, which extols the virtues of staying home and watching the Olympic.

[IMG]http://i39.************/eiqedu.png[/IMG]

Last edited by jerseyboi; February 10th, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #2814
jerseyboi
BANNED

Old February 10th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #2815
jerseyboi
BANNED

[IMG]http://i41.************/142zaqq.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.************/jaufpd.png[/IMG]

Last edited by jerseyboi; February 10th, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #2816
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 229

I really don't like the way they've used the flag like that.
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #2817
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post
[IMG]http://i41.************/142zaqq.png[/IMG]
that's funny
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #2818
jerseyboi
BANNED

Old February 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #2819
nycldnboy

Likes (Received): 0

I am a proud londoner, and I'm so happy that the world will see my city this summer, but I have to be honest I don't like the park at all.
nycldnboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #2820
jerseyboi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycldnboy View Post
I am a proud londoner, and I'm so happy that the world will see my city this summer, but I have to be honest I don't like the park at all.
Looks ok to me.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i41.************/8y6v0m.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by jerseyboi; February 10th, 2012 at 09:32 PM.

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics