daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #281
Snowy

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeestonLad View Post
Is that it? You said London is in the top 3 most beautiful, well is it more so than Paris, Vancouver, Cape Town, Boston, San Diego, Rome, Prague, NYC, Edinburgh, Barcelona, DC, San Fran, Sydney, Hong Kong, Rio etc etc, Im sure most neutrals wouldnt say so
Paris, Prague, Edinburgh, Rome, Barcelona, yes, the others, no........and San Diego, you're having a laugh mate.

Hong Kong, NYC, Rio etc. have great skylines and a few nice buildings, but most of the buildings there are ugly 1960s highrises or ten-a-penny shiny glass towers. None of these cities have any buildings as beautiful and ornate as these, FACT!:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

What about these cute little Mews houses?:

image hosted on flickr

There's also a fair bit of this:

image hosted on flickr

.......but the fact remains that London has many beautiful parts which can compete with the very best in the world.

Apologies if people think I'm spamming this thread but I simply don't agree that cities like Toronto and San Diego are as beautiful as London. Better skylines? Yes. Better planned? Yes, but more beautiful, absolutely not.................now back to the 2012 Olympics................
Snowy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #282
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyBoy1 View Post
Perhaps London isn't one of the top 3 most beautiful cities on earth, but that isn't to say it isn't beautiful in parts. West London and parts of the West End are incredibly beautiful - South Kensington, Notting Hill, Marylebone, Mayfair, Hampstead, Belgravia, Bloomsbury, Chelsea and Westminster are all beautiful and I could go on. You're just a jealous northerner.
Just a jealous Northerner? why mention where he comes from (which I'd actually say was more east midlands then the North anyway) what are you going to comment on next? his race? his sexuality or any other social prejudice? I'm from the North of England myself but the rest of my extended family live in hampstead and I lived in London for 3 years before recently deciding to move to Manchester and I can assure you that every city in Britain has a selection of beautiful suburbs, listing a few of London's does not render it the most beautiful city in the world... I can assure you that we also get "sick to the back teeth" of people like you referring to us as Northerners as if it is something to be ashamed of. I couldn't be more proud of it.

As for the games, the site looks to be coming on leaps and bounds and I hope London will deliver a games that live up to the city's global reputation as one of the finest cities in the world, even if it does have a few misguided citizens.
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #283
Snowy

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
Just a jealous Northerner? why mention where he comes from (which I'd actually say was more east midlands then the North anyway) what are you going to comment on next? his race? his sexuality or any other social prejudice? I'm from the North of England myself but the rest of my extended family live in hampstead and I lived in London for 3 years before recently deciding to move to Manchester and I can assure you that every city in Britain has a selection of beautiful suburbs, listing a few of London's does not render it the most beautiful city in the world... I can assure you that we also get "sick to the back teeth" of people like you referring to us as Northerners as if it is something to be ashamed of. I couldn't be more proud of it.

As for the games, the site looks to be coming on leaps and bounds and I hope London will deliver a games that live up to the city's global reputation as one of the finest cities in the world, even if it does have a few misguided citizens.
I called Beestonlad a jealous northerner because he told another forumer that he "needed to get out more" when he said that London was one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Perhaps my choice of words was inappropriate but I'm sure we've all typed / said something in the heat of the moment and then regretted it afterwards, so Beestonlad, I'm sorry for calling you a jealous northerner, but I still stand by everything else that I've said

And Blackpool88, if you read my posts, you'll see that I've never claimed that London was the most beautiful city if the world, just that it's beautiful parts can compete with the best of the best. You'll also see that I've praised Northern cities, not slagged them off, I'm just against those ignorant folk who constantly belittle our great capital city - in fact Londoners can be some of the worst offenders.

Anyways I've had it with this thread. Bye.
Snowy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #284
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeestonLad View Post
I know Mansfield is a shithole I used to work nearby in huthwaite! I was not saying London is not beautiful, nor was I comparing it to Nottingham?! I was just saying its not in the top 3, hell not even in the top 20. The basis for my comments come from actually getting out there and experiencing other cities in the world, and yes Ive been to london plenty of times. The thing that pissed me off was being called a jealous northerner, for the record I love London - cant wait for all these new skyscrapers etc to be built, Im all for them!

oh and theres nothing wrong with Beeston, it has probably the most expensive street in Nottingham
yeah i know bein called that would annoy me to but like you i seen a few cities of the world but from experience london is up there amongst them.And how dare you call my home town a shit hole.Hang on a minute it is lol.
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #285
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

UP UP AND AWAY

Paul, Games Chief, 14 Mar 2008

"This morning I was at the opening of Heathrow Airport’s Terminal 5. It’s occupied exclusively by British Airways, our new Tier One partner. It was a great chance to see how it will operate for us at Games time, where many of our international athletes, spectators and officials will arrive.

I was struck by the scale and spaces and just how spectacular a welcome we will be able to provide when our guests from all over the world arrive in 2012.

It officially opens to passengers on 27 March and will handle up to 30 million passengers annually.

It’s a fantastic space and a great accomplishment – a £4.3 billion investment that was completed on time and on budget. It renewed my confidence that it can be done – except we will have to complete a project twice the size in half the time!"

the monarch described the terminal as “this 21st-century gateway to Britain and, to us, the wider world.”

woop
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #286
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6360

Olympic Hyde Park of the East
Matthew Beard, Evening Standard
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ast/article.do

Details of a 270-acre urban park to be created on the site of the London Olympics have emerged.

Games chiefs have drawn up a blueprint for a £200 million project to convert the area near Stratford into vast green space the size of Hyde Park.

After the Games, which is expected to attract four million visitors, acres of asphalt will be torn up to make way for meadows, wetlands, lawns as well as a "concert field" for 50,000 spectators.

Further details of how the former low-rent industrial area near Stratford will be converted will emerge later this week when the London Development Agency publishes an early draft of its "legacy masterplan".

"It will characterise east London and give the area an equal weight to the west," said George Hargreaves, an American architect hired to design the park.

The park, the biggest urban regeneration project in Europe, is two-and-a-half-miles long and runs through the Lower Lea Valley. It will contain a 120-metre wind turbine which will be surrounded by orchards and vegetable patches designed to encourage local food production.

The area will be fringed by thousands of offices and homes intended to be built to help the park pay its way after the Games. This includes the athletes' village which will be converted into 4,000 homes by 2014 and overlook a new landscape.

A "one-planet pavilion" will be set among orchards, allotments and nut groves and will demonstrate ways of living a low-energy lifestyle.

On the other side of the park a miniature biomass station will show how local energy sources can be used to cut carbon emissions. Designers are planning to build a network of fitness trails and outdoor gyms with equipment embedded in the landscape. This is intended to encourage active lifestyles in the area.

Other community sports facilities include a cricket pitch, mountain bike trails, horseriding and a 10-acre grassland for football.

Mr Hargreaves said: "We plan to create another world with wetland habitats and broad expanses of meadows in the centre of east London. This will be one of the great parks of London. I want it to be a park which gives a memory of hosting the Games."

Several of the Olympic venues will stay. The Olympic stadium will be scaled down after 2012 from 80,000 to 25,000 seats, the aquatics centre will be similarly reduced. There will also be a "Velopark" to be used by track cyclists and BMX riders.

Reader views (2)

Here's a sample of the latest views published. You can click view all to read all views that readers have sent in.

Is this being promoted as a benefit?
I don't know if the planners have noticed, but not only just to the north-east is there Victoria Park, the first & still one of the finest parks in London, but Stratford is only a few minutes from the southern edge of Epping Forest. At up to 4 miles wide & about 20 long with dozens of lakes & ponds & thousands of acres of grass & woodland, Hyde Park could be dropped into the Forest without anyone noticing.
- P Johns, london england

I for one am ecstatic that I will spend the next 20 years trying to pay for an Olympic games site that seems to haemorrhage money exponentially month on month. That's because at the end of it all I know that Stratford will be a much nicer place to live, which will really improve the lives of us South West Londoners.
- Ken Sabuffoon, Wimbledon
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #287
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

I see these games will take a more youthful type theme, something different from the prestige type event that we have seen throughout the years. Not sure if I like the idea though.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #288
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

I think we have to sit back and trust the organisers. Its not very often Britain fails to put ona good show at world events and they have had a long history of expertise at such shows.

Im beggining to think its going to be a truly marvellous occasion and if the National team can go on and win Euro 2012 thier will be an air of unbelievable optimism such as that which followed Greeces win in 2004.
Flogging Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #289
lesart

Likes (Received): 16

Younger London?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
I see these games will take a more youthful type theme, something different from the prestige type event that we have seen throughout the years. Not sure if I like the idea though.
Hmm..

that's the irony behind London olympic idealism- an ancient city that tries very, very hard to potrays youth and modernity.

I don't like this idea too. London is not L.A. or Singapore. It has a thousand year history, it is steeped in tradition and it has a very proud imperial past. Why take away elements that made London famous in the first place?
lesart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #290
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6360

London is an incredibly youthful city. Why shouldn't it host an Olympic Games for the next generation of the world?
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #291
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesart View Post
Hmm..

that's the irony behind London olympic idealism- an ancient city that tries very, very hard to potrays youth and modernity.

I don't like this idea too. London is not L.A. or Singapore. It has a thousand year history, it is steeped in tradition and it has a very proud imperial past. Why take away elements that made London famous in the first place?
Many events will be hosted in and around some of Londons most historic and well known landmarks. Greenwich Park, Horse Guards, and i think Leicester Sq will be utilised in some way or other.

London does have two thousand years of history, but it is also a modern, youthful city - the two are not mutually exclusive, so why should London not have a modern, youthful games (surely that is what the olympics/sports is all about - inspiring young people??? ). And don't forget, the Olympic park is being built on derelict industrial land, of course its going to be modern - what would you like to see? Some mock tudor and pastiche victorian style architecture, perhaps???
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #292
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Paris, Prague, Edinburgh, Rome, Barcelona, yes, the others, no........and San Diego, you're having a laugh mate.
San Francisco no? have you actually ever been there?

image hosted on flickr

There are other 1000 buildings I could show you, but it wouldn't be nice to paper the entire forum with pictures. And of course I didn't put any pictures of the modern part of the city, with a skyline London can only (at least for now) dream of. Then let's add the entire waterfront are, the Golden Gate,....
I think London is a wonderful place where to celebrate the Olympics, and I hope I'll be able to visit the city soon. But to throw dirt on other cities that are truly amazing (like San Francisco), is not only stupid, but just confirms what a bunch of bigheads we europeans are. Maybe one day we will realize there is a world outside, and it's beautiful. Reading these kind of comments just make me wish I wasn't european......

sorry everybody for the OT, but such a comment needed an answer....

Last edited by romanamerican; March 20th, 2008 at 02:39 AM.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #293
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesart View Post
Hmm..

The amazing thing about London is that it IS youthful and fresh. It has the major history, but it evolves and changes with the rest of the world. It is very much a modern metropolis. If it didn't try and evolve and be a modern city, it would stagnate, and like Rome it would have very little power today. I'm not trying to insult Rome here, but it hasn't retained it's power like London has.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #294
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

‘the Angel of Leyton’

The opportunity to create a ‘green beacon’ for London was showcased to the construction industry today as the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) held an industry day for the contract to design and construct a wind turbine on the Olympic Park site.

The turbine, to be located at Eton Manor in the north of the Olympic Park, will play a key role in delivering renewable energy to the Olympic Park and be a visible symbol of London 2012’s commitment to deliver a truly sustainable Games.

Companies at today’s industry briefing were given details of the contract currently out to tender to design, construct and operate a 130 metre high turbine structure (an 83m turbine with 47m high blades). The proposed turbine will produce around 4 million kilowatt-hours (kWh) per annum, the energy equivalent to supplying 1,000 homes over an average year.

ODA Director of Infrastructure Simon Wright said:

'Sustainability runs through all we are doing and the use of renewable energy is key part of our plans to provide a whole new backbone of services, fuelling not just six weeks of world class sporting action, but also the lasting regeneration of the area for many years to come.

'As one of the first large scale wind turbines so close to Central London, this contract is chance for companies to deliver a ‘green beacon’ for the Capital and a striking symbol of the sustainability principles behind the Games.'

Detailed planning permission for the turbine was granted in September 2007, and the design and construction of the turbine is expected to start later this year. The turbine is expected to be fully operational by 2010, providing new renewable energy nearly two years before the Games. The turbine will stay on the site after the Games and will be linked into local networks providing power to the emerging legacy development including local amenities and housing over its lifespan of 20 years.

Last edited by jerseyboi; April 20th, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #295
Olympiaki-Agones

Likes (Received): 0

Well, every olympic edition is full of different elements to inspire the whole world according with the host city and the time of being hosted those games.

History in Rome'60, Modernity in Tokyo'64, Culture in Mexico'68, Politics in Moscow'80-LA'84, Sustainable development in Barcelona'92, Commercialisation in Atlanta'96, Nature in Sydney 2000, Solemnity in Athens 2004, Hi-Tech in Beijing 2008. I think London 2012 is going in the right path.
Olympiaki-Agones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM   #296
Magellan

Quote:

Hong Kong, NYC, Rio etc. have great skylines and a few nice buildings, but most of the buildings there are ugly 1960s highrises or ten-a-penny shiny glass towers. None of these cities have any buildings as beautiful and ornate as these, FACT!:

You can not say that London is a beautiful city; there are individual highlights but overall it is dirty and rundown and full of ugly modern monstrosities.
Magellan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:38 AM   #297
Magellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
The amazing thing about London is that it IS youthful and fresh. It has the major history, but it evolves and changes with the rest of the world. It is very much a modern metropolis. If it didn't try and evolve and be a modern city, it would stagnate, and like Rome it would have very little power today. I'm not trying to insult Rome here, but it hasn't retained it's power like London has.
Yes I agree; London has all the atractions and the history, but it is also very much a working, living city, with all the by-products that go with that (pollution, rough edges, conflict etc).

I'm sure that anyone who visits London in 2012 will find something of interest.
Magellan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:46 PM   #298
megacool

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trances View Post
LOL so true. ( Despite their best efforts )
may i ask you, if you were really in Peking, when you were, may i ask you when? and i suggest you go there now. you are saying other people are jealous of london, but what you did?
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:46 PM   #299
Truepioneer

London is a facsinating/beautiful/contrasting/chaotic mix of buildings. No amount of planning would ever be able to duplicate it
Truepioneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM   #300
davee08

Likes (Received): 29

i like the design of the olympic hyde park of the east very nice the only thing i don't like about it is the size which is a bit more then half the size of sydney or beijing nonetheless it will be great come 2012 looking forward to it like every olympic games
davee08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics