daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #3181
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by moustache View Post
This ugly stadium is so small ...
I think for London, it's not about the stadium or the size but more about the theatrical performances to be shown on high definition TV/monitors worldwide. And it had been reported that was the main reason for the massive lightings on top of the stadium. I would not be surprised if the stadium is to be transformed into " the Globe Theatre" and much of the performances are to be literally staged.

By TGIGreeny image hosted on flickr
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #3182
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Fighter planes at Northolt for first time since WWII as elite RAF say they will shoot down passenger jets to protect London
  • Missile defence systems stationed around London including on Blackheath Common and in Epping Forest
  • Chinook Helicopters on standby to take to the air over the Olympic Stadium in the event of a security alert

Elite fighter pilots say they are ‘trained and prepared’ to shoot down a hijacked passenger plane to prevent a 9/11-style suicide attack on the Olympics.

Four Typhoon jets will be on standby to intercept ‘rogue’ aircraft intent on causing carnage at London 2012.

Normally the RAF’s Quick Reaction Alert jets are based at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire and RAF Leuchars in Fife to defend UK airspace. But the 1,370mph planes will also be stationed at RAF Northolt, in west London, during the Olympics.

It is the first time fighters have been based at the airfield since the Second World War.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1uZvu7C3d

SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #3183
flotsam

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
The entire brand design cost £400,000. It is more than just a logo. For an event on this scale this is peanuts for the amount of detailed work that has been put into it and which has lasted over the last five years and has raised over £400 million in sponsorship, the highest in Olympic history.

I don't see the school kids designing anything on the scale of the London 2012 brand.
I am not sure who is mucking around with my profile but someone else wrote this one, not me
flotsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #3184
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

Olympic torch relay Greece

[IMG]http://i49.************/30c7ozp.png[/IMG]
from HOC
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #3185
flotsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe

The entire brand design cost £400,000. It is more than just a logo. For an event on this scale this is peanuts for the amount of detailed work that has been put into it and which has lasted over the last five years and has raised over £400 million in sponsorship, the highest in Olympic history.

I don't see the school kids designing anything on the scale of the London 2012 brand.
As I mentioned I did not write that post about schoolchildren. Don't know who did or why. Having said that I have the impression when I talk to people they are cheesed off about it and do think the logo is awful. I am sure this offends the designers but you should be able to handle constructive criticism if you are true artists.
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #3186
msl1
msl

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsam View Post
As I mentioned I did not write that post about schoolchildren. Don't know who did or why. Having said that I have the impression when I talk to people they are cheesed off about it and do think the logo is awful. I am sure this offends the designers but you should be able to handle constructive criticism if you are true artists.
msl1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #3187
Hindustani

Likes (Received): 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by moustache View Post
Athen's Olympic Park is truly AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!
The stadium is great ! Not like london"s stadium.
totally agreed.

London stadium is total trash. Architectects forgot about originality & creativity. Its a rehash design of Delhi's commonwealth stadium for 2010 games.

Athens stadium looked magestic & Acropolis looked even more mighty.
Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #3188
Lejaad

Likes (Received): 5

And what are they used for now?
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #3189
TJinLondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
totally agreed.

London stadium is total trash. Architectects forgot about originality & creativity. Its a rehash design of Delhi's commonwealth stadium for 2010 games.

London's stadium is not total trash. To say so is ignorant and unfair.

Yes, it's not the most impressive stadium or the most expensive, but it still looks good and will fulfill its purpose very well.

I was at the opening event earlier this month and you can already see that it'll be a great stage for the Olympics.

Athens' stadium is indeed beautiful, but now lies pretty much derelict. Beijing's birds nest is amazing, but also isn't used much and even Sydney's stadium has only fairly recently started fulfilling its legacy.

In London the stadium didn't cost the Earth, but looks good, will serve its purpose well and will provide part of a lasting legacy for the city (along with other venues such as the Aquatics Centre and Velodrome) that many other Olympic stadiums haven't done.
TJinLondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #3190
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 840

Yes, Athens has a beautiful, iconic stadium for which we (in my and many other's opinion) do not have - but that is not to say it is a bad stadium. Olympic moments happen on the track and on the field, everything else is a bonus.

Furthermore, people can say what they like about individual venues. I feel we have some truly amazing stadia and infrastructure which will be jewels in the park when the games are televised to the World. Correct me if I'm wrong with the below picture..

I would speculate that this aerial image is of the Athens park as it was for the games or as it was after the games at finished (so ie, not unfinished and still a building site!)

Compared to this..

7 months before the games are to open, in the middle of winter (and on what seems a fairly miserable day weather-wise).

At the end of the day, surely it is better for us all that we have such varied parks and that the games allows for that to happen. I could write a list as long as my arm of preffered stadiums or venues that could be dropped onto sites in London, but at the end of the day the most valuable asset that we will be receiving is the largest new urban park in a century - that is a legacy in itself
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #3191
Lezuck

Likes (Received): 405

From CNES https://twitter.com/#!/CNES_France

http://image-cnes.fr/wp-content/uplo...ndres-blog.jpg
Lezuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #3192
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

A few months old I think, but nice find
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #3193
skyridgeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinLondon View Post

In London the stadium didn't cost the Earth, but looks good, will serve its purpose well and will provide part of a lasting legacy for the city (along with other venues such as the Aquatics Centre and Velodrome) that many other Olympic stadiums haven't done.
That half disposable stadium will cost GB/London though .
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #3194
skyridgeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
totally agreed.

You mean that magestic roof? U$500 million!

The Acropolis, so mighty, yet not "used" or in ruins for much of its history .
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #3195
BruinsFan
Future urban planner

Likes (Received): 6

The London Olympics logo is the ugliest logo I've ever seen.
All I have to say.
BruinsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #3196
skyridgeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFan View Post
The London Olympics logo is the ugliest logo I've ever seen.
All I have to say.
If you prefer curved lines then it's not for you.

I wonder if this might have something to do with it:

Old May 15th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3197
jerseyboi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai83 View Post
seen various architectural lighting schemes being tested lately. Pan Peninsular's is pretty damned nice, HSBC and 1CS have recently faffed with their crowns, the Barclays HQ has scaffolding on it while they replace all the crown lights, numbers tower blocks and tall buildings around the place have started to glow in strange colours and now this... Tower Bridge gets it's olympic thing on...

kool
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #3198
TJinLondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyridgeline View Post
That half disposable stadium will cost GB/London though .
Yes, that's true, but I think the point is that it didn't cost anywhere near as much as some other Olympic stadiums and will do the job just as well, even if it isn't as monumental as some of its predecessors.
TJinLondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #3199
jerseyboi
BANNED

London 2012: BBC launches 'Digital Olympics' coverage

at http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/bbc2012/
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #3200
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624