daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #3481
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramendu.ganguly View Post
Just like the stadiums in Beijing and the one being built in Rio are symbolic of their countries' self image and ambitions, the stadium here in Statford is also symbolic of the self-image of 21st century England.
Err, the "one being built in Rio" is a pre existing stadium, the capacity of which is merely being increased by 15,000 seats to 60,000 (making it 20,000 smaller than London's). Rio has, rightly, chosen a far cheaper and far more sensible option than making the kind of superfluous architectural statement that you insist that London should have made.

You see, ensuring legacy will be the priority for Olympic host cities henceforward. You will see ever fewer architectural statements, and future white elephants, like the Birds Nest. The IOC don't want that kind of bad publicity. Host cities don't want that kind of financial burden.
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #3482
briker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
The whole point of bidding for and winning the games is to make a statement. You don't pour that many billions into infrastructure and stadiums because it makes financial sense, the money they generate through the games is nothing close to what it all costs

Going through all the effort to get the games and then spending all those billions of pounds in preparations really doesn't make sense if in the end you're aiming for nothing

all this rubbish about "legacy" can't be used as an excuse to build something so pathetic for an event with the magnitude of an Olympics.
I fully second that. If London planned all along to go stingy on the Olympics, it should never have put in a bid. The stadium is cheap and it looks it- a pathetic attempt, not worthy of hosting an Olympics. South Africa FWC 2010 & Poland's Euro 2012 stadia put London to shame.
briker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #3483
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5842

Quote:
You're proving my point exactly right. Twickenham is rather ordinary, but if England has the capacity to build a stadium like Wembley(I'm not sure if it still does), it should for an event like the olympics. The whole point of the olympics is for it to be spectacular, not dull and ordinary
The whole point of the Olympics is to bring countries and people together through sport, to be sepectacular has nothing to do with it!!! London has simply returned the games to what they are supposed to be about. Seems to me that people who say they should have given the games an unlimited budget must be either from undeveloped countries with something to prove to the world, or are too young to have paid any taxes and not understand the link between an olympic budet and the money taken from your earnings to pay for it!

All this is silly anyway seeing as the permanant venus such as the velodrome and aquatics center are really stunning pieces of modern architecture, and are spectacular!
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #3484
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by briker View Post
I fully second that. If London planned all along to go stingy on the Olympics, it should never have put in a bid. The stadium is cheap and it looks it- a pathetic attempt, not worthy of hosting an Olympics. South Africa FWC 2010 & Poland's Euro 2012 stadia put London to shame.

So far the London Olympics has cost tens of billions... I'd hardly call that stingy.

It has involved, not just building a stadium and event venues but reclaiming derelict, toxic, disused and long neglected industrial land to create the largest green space/urban park space in Europe...

On top of that.. China is still paying back billions each year to investors that it borrow to put on the games... and there is absolutely nothing being given back to the local people of Beijing for all the tax money spent on it. The entire Olympics park in Beijing is a disused ghost town.

You might be cool with being made into a mug for having your money spent on something for zero return.. but luckily, Londoners are a much smarter breed.

If you aren't in it to make money.. then don't do it.
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #3485
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
what absolute nonsense talking out of your bum hole have you not seen all the venues and i,m not just talking new venues . and legacy is the main factor and london doesn,t need to make a statement
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #3486
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 1682

but the costs have already exploded anyway. good architecture doesnt have to be expensive, sadly most of the venues i have seen look like cheap architecture, but were expensive
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #3487
JimB

Quote:
The stadium actually cost the best part of £500 million - because, among other things, it involved the reclamation of land that had been lost to toxic waste.

And I repeat - the Olympics is not an architectural dick measuring contest. So I suggest that you grow out of making puerile comparisons. South Africa did a great job in 2010. Poland and Ukraine did a great job this summer.

And so will London.
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #3488
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
but the costs have already exploded anyway. good architecture doesnt have to be expensive, sadly most of the venues i have seen look like cheap architecture, but were expensive
In London, everything is expensive.
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #3489
LondonFox
BANNED

Old July 26th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #3490
LondonFox
BANNED

Back on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post

Wow! What an amazing amount of work! From dead toxic-german WW2 bomb filled area, to lush regenerated green space.
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #3491
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7646

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
You see, ensuring legacy will be the priority for Olympic host cities henceforward. You will see ever fewer architectural statements, and future white elephants, like the Birds Nest. The IOC don't want that kind of bad publicity. Host cities don't want that kind of financial burden.
+1000

I fully agree with your statement.

I have lived both in Montreal & Barcelona and can truly tell you there is a huge difference in terms of Olympic legacy.

The Montreal Olympic installations were mostly badly used afterwards and created a financial burden for the city, compared to the Barcelona Olympic installations which were greatly integrated in the city's economy either through sport events or complete change of purpose.

I say congrats to London for not embarking in some purposeless dick measuring contest. The city has already plenty of world-class stadiums and there is absolutely no reason to build a white-elephant. Besides London has hosted the Olympic games 3 times....it has nothing to prove to anyone.

Last edited by Ulpia-Serdica; July 26th, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3492
Syndic

Likes (Received): 41

Agreed. The world shouldn't follow China's lead in basically anything. They're the ones who feel they have something to prove. In truth, they just used spectacle and shiny new buildings to gloss over and distract from the fact that they're not a free country and a democracy.

Good on London for not being so short-sighted.
Syndic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #3493
tuten

Likes (Received): 1372

The London Olympic stadium is an amazing piece of engineering, holding almost the same amount of people as Beijing's whilst being half the size making for a very intimate experience with the sport.

London does not need a vanity project as it has already reached the pinnacle of world city status. Our crown jewel for our Olympic project is the massive new park that surrounds the many new venues, something that will be loved and used for generations, unlike the car parks that usually surround stadia.

Citius, Altius, Fortius.
tuten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3494
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 229

Lets not turn this thread into a slanging match.

People who fail to grasp the reason why London 2012 has done things the way it has haven't understood the context and fail to grasp the principles of these games.
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #3495
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

Tv viewing of the Opening Ceremony estimate

4 billion are expected to watch the opening ceremony tomorrow of London
2012 games.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #3496
tuten

Likes (Received): 1372

Customary stadiumwithwildflowers shot

Citius, Altius, Fortius.
tuten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #3497
littleboxes

Likes (Received): 49

With the "Bird's Nest" Stadium China was making a statement to the World. It is that it had arrived on the World stage and it needed to make a huge declaration of that fact. There is a startling amount of architecture being built in the "emerging" economies of the world that is of this type. Architecture is now used (since Gehry's Bilbao Museum probably most recently) as a way of attempting to put a place on the map, sometimes this architecture has a tendency to SHOUT. China wanted to show the World that it is a powerful, modern, forward looking nation. It achieved that with the Olympics. I am not sure if Beijing has many other large stadiums but in London's case ANOTHER 80,000 seat stadium would have been ludicrous especially after building the World's most expensive stadium at Wembley. London tried a different route. Finally, I think the Olympics is perceived at the closing as a whole experience and is not primarily about architecture that shouts "Look at ME!" It is brave of London I think to take a different way with all this. The British have their own way of doing things and sometimes this "gets up the nose of others" it is a shame when this happens, but the intention was to build a Olympic Stadium FOR London and not to impress those who only believe that good architecture is architecture that has "all the bells and whistles" plus knobs on too.
littleboxes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #3498
kikkoman

Likes (Received): 0

London dont need signature stadium. It actually built for a community not to become white elephant.
kikkoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #3499
Turkiiish

Likes (Received): 367

1 Days to go.. !

Official Web site : www.london2012.com

BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/2012/ - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/2012/

TRT (TURKEY)
http://londraolimpiyat.trtspor.com.tr/

NBC US
http://www.nbcolympics.com