daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Old August 5th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #3601
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
The television coverage of the games here in Australia has been so bad that a lot of people aren't bothering to watch it either.
Seriously? It's vivid over here in the Netherlands. It's everywhere.

Sponsored Links

Old August 6th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #3602
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 742

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjaybee View Post
Don't worry - you're not winning anything

Haha!! I was going to say they weren't missing much with regards to their overall performance!
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #3603
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1987

SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #3604
SO143
BANNED

image hosted on flickr
Old August 6th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #3605
SO143
BANNED

by potto

Old August 6th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #3606
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 742

As a South African, I congratulate Britain on this spectacular olympics. The best one I have seen, for sure.

The Olympic precinct is just brilliant. The crowd support amazing - nowhere more so than the rowing!
The mens lightweight fours final is one of the single most exciting sporting events I have ever seen...(yes I know South Africa won it by a hair from the Brits, but you cant begrudge us that medal given the games you have had!)
For an open air event to generate such crowd noise is phenomenal.
Then there is the star power - celebs everywhere, the royal family so involved.

On top of that, things like Jessica Ennis and Bradley Wiggins and Victoria Pendleton and Andy Murray all powering to gold - its like a fairytale for the supporters.

Just fantastic. Roll on week two!
Old August 6th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #3607
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerdog View Post
As a South African, I congratulate Britain on this spectacular olympics. The best one I have seen, for sure.

The Olympic precinct is just brilliant. The crowd support amazing - nowhere more so than the rowing!
The mens lightweight fours final is one of the single most exciting sporting events I have ever seen...(yes I know South Africa won it by a hair from the Brits, but you cant begrudge us that medal given the games you have had!)
For an open air event to generate such crowd noise is phenomenal.
Then there is the star power - celebs everywhere, the royal family so involved.

On top of that, things like Jessica Ennis and Bradley Wiggins and Victoria Pendleton and Andy Murray all powering to gold - its like a fairytale for the supporters.

I certainly don't begrudge you that Gold in the rowing, like you say it was so exciting and the best team on the day deserved their glory, congrats

It's also nice to hear you praise the 2012 games because there had been a lot of negativity before the event but it seems to have been silenced by the sheer success of the games. Never before have we witnessed a packed athletics stadium for early morning heats and it gave the lesser athletes who get dumped out early a chance to perform in front of 80,000 people. Magical for them!

AdidasGazelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #3608
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 123

Holland Heineken House (official Dutch supporter's home) madness;

Old August 9th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #3609
SO143
BANNED

OLYMPIC STADIUM INNIT!

image hosted on flickr

Olympic Stadium from the Orbit by A.W. Martyr-Icke, on Flickr
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #3610
Leodis Loiner

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerdog View Post

So far, my home county of Yorkshire alone has secured six golds (including Sheffield's Jessica Ennis in the heptathlon, Leeds' Alistair Brownlee in the men's triathlon, and Leeds' Nicola Adams claiming women boxing's first-ever Olympic gold), two silvers, and three bronzes. This represents 24% of the British team's total haul of golds.

And there's still more to come, with Yorkshire's Sarah Stevenson hoping to add another taekwondo gold for Britain.

The complete medal haul from Yorkshire so far would put us at 11th place in the medal table if we were a country, ahead of the likes of Japan, Netherlands, Jamaica, New Zealand, Spain, Brazil, and Canada.

It's pretty unbelievable stuff, huh?

Also, let's not forget to mention Sebastian Coe, and Sheffield's Arctic Monkeys!
Leodis Loiner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #3611
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I really don't like the 'official' font of the London Olympics. It just looks a bit tacky and cheap.

You can see it here saying "Park Live"

The television coverage of the games here in Australia has been so bad that a lot of people aren't bothering to watch it either.
I know right? It's all chopped up and thrown everywhere that it makes the event look stupid. It also doesn't help that some of the commentators suck big time, even with the London Gold show. And is it me or is there just too many brands at these games? It looks cheap when the games are being stolen by brands. The Olympic park itself is alright, knowing that its a temporary area.

Maybe its because we suck this year or just poor broadcasting
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #3612
Mr_Andersonn

Likes (Received): 12

i think the TV coverage in Oz must just suck because the games so far are a huge success in this country. We have it on 4 or more standard channels and we also have 24 dedicated HD sports channels.

The commentary team here are superb and the park looks fantastic. Branding seems fine and not over the top at all.

I don't know what you guys are seeing down under, or is it more a case of not seeing?
Mr_Andersonn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #3613
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 399

One channel, standard def, unless you have Foxtel (Sky) which has 8 dedicated channels.

Thank God for being able to stream BBC via workarounds and hooking the laptop up to the TV.
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #3614
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 497

All eyes on London for Closing Ceremony
The closing ceremony is Sunday at 9pm (GMT)

The Olympic closing ceremony will be a fun tribute to British music, London 2012 chairman Lord Coe said.
Describing it as an "after show party" with lots of headline talent, Lord Coe said: " It's basically a tribute to British music over the last few decades. It's fun."
Artistic director Kim Gavin has already said it will be "an elegant mash-up of British music" including anything from Adele and Elgar.
The Sunday night show at the Olympic Stadium is set to be more relaxed than the Danny Boyle-masterminded opening which was packed with references to British history and culture.
The public's appetite for the big event may have been whetted by pop stars such as George Michael, the Pet Shop Boys, Jessie J and Tinie Tempah, who have been photographed at rehearsals.
Brazilian supermodel Alessandro Ambrosio said she has been rehearsing for Rio 2016's segment during the ceremony alongside the Spice Girls.
Organisers from the Rio 2016 Games, the next Olympic host city, have an eight-minute slot in the London 2012 closing ceremony which acts as a taster of things to come.
A lively mix of music, dance and culture has been offered, including big name stars and characters from Brazil. She said: "I have been doing a lot of rehearsal so my highlight has been to mix with everybody."
Of the possibility of an appearance by the Spice Girls, a London 2012 spokesman: "We would like to save the surprise. There is not long to wait."
The main themes of the Rio 2016 performance is based around entertainment, cultural diversity, the contagious energy of the Brazilian people and an invitation to Rio.

London will end with a spectacular,exuberant, and eccentric Ceremony.

jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #3615
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 497

London Olympics 2012: The £300m plan to transform Olympic Park
A collection of British companies are preparing for the £300m transformation of the Olympic Park into its post-London 2012 form.

Olympic park becomes the new Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/l...mpic-Park.html
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #3616
Mr_Andersonn

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
Superb snap, just wished the orbit was not in view...

Fantastic games, can't wait for the Closing Ceremony then roll on the paralympics!
Mr_Andersonn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #3617
SO143
BANNED

image hosted on flickr

AA039 by i-like-concrete, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

AA040 by i-like-concrete, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

AA045 by i-like-concrete, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

AA046 by i-like-concrete, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

AA043 by i-like-concrete, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

AA025 by i-like-concrete, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

AA021 by i-like-concrete, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

AA003 by i-like-concrete, on Flickr
Old August 12th, 2012, 03:47 AM   #3618
SO143
BANNED

London Olympics 2012: The £300m ($475m) plan to transform Olympic Park

A collection of British companies are preparing for the £300m transformation of the Olympic Park into its post-London 2012 form.

The London Legacy Development Corporation, a public body, has been put in charge of the project.

It has appointed construction and engineering group BAM Nuttall to oversee the redevelopment of the park areas and Mace as project manager.

The plans involve the removal of temporary venues from the Olympic Park after the Paralympics, such as the Basketball Arena.

Balfour Beatty will also remove the temporary seating from the Aquatics Centre, leaving 2,500 seats for future use.

The Olympic sStadium’s new occupier is yet to be confirmed, with four parties including West Ham United still in the running, but the LLDC has appointed Greenwich Leisure Limited to run the Aquatics Centre and the Copper Box handball venue, as well as awarding housebuilder Taylor Wimpey the right to build almost 1,000 new homes in the Olympic Park.

The Velodrome will also remain in the Olympic Park.

[...]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/l...mpic-Park.html
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #3619
SO143
BANNED

QUEEN ELIZABETH PARK (THE BIGGEST URBAN PARK IN EUROPE)

Old August 13th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #3620
lezgotolondon
Pescara Über Alles

Likes (Received): 267

wow the redevelopment looks great on render!

can't wait to see it for real.

flickr
lezgotolondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics