daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #3681
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Brilliant news.

The park is a landmark in it's own right. The aquatics centre was my favourite design in the Olympic park.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2014, 12:36 PM   #3682
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3970

Truthfully. Those 2 months will always be the best 2 months of my life. I don't think I'll ever see a better Olympics.

Ironically my 3 favourite olympics have all been English speaking countries. Maybe it's the cultural aspect of that but the crowds are just something else.

How London put on those games, how every event was packed to the rafters, how millions lined the streets, the up's and down's, the venues, the weather, it was just the most incredible feelings that lasted so long.

I felt similar during the 2000 and 1996 olympics and 1988 just because I understood what was going on for the first time. But 2012 was just head and shoulders above them all.

Last edited by Birmingham; January 27th, 2014 at 12:41 PM.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #3683
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Think I'll wait a while before visiting again, can see it being quite busy the first few weekends it reopens!
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #3684
metroranger

Likes (Received): 1727

Just a reminder.
February 2nd 2008 [IMG]http://i39.************/2gsle2s.jpg[/IMG]
metroranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:50 PM   #3685
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Think I'll wait a while before visiting again, can see it being quite busy the first few weekends it reopens!
Haha agreed. I also want to go on a sunny[ish] day. As long as it's not rainy.
~

L O N D O N
~

Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:54 PM   #3686
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroranger View Post
Just a reminder.
February 2nd 2008 [IMG]http://i39.************/2gsle2s.jpg[/IMG]
I remember it like yesterday driving into London in the passenger seat while my Dad was driving as seeing the stadium slowly coming together.

I still cannot believe it's been and gone!
~

L O N D O N
~

Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:42 PM   #3687
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Pretty big announcement today...

Quote:
Mayor welcomes £141m from Government to support world leading culture & education quarter on the Park

University College London and University of the Arts London to create two new campuses | Victoria and Albert Museum and Sadler’s Wells will be at the core of the cultural district.

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson today (2 December) welcomed the Government’s commitment of £141m to create a major new higher education and cultural district on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

It was confirmed today in the Government’s National Infrastructure Plan, that £141m will be committed to help deliver the Mayor’s ‘Olympicopolis’ vision. This will create a world class education and cultural district on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park bringing together outstanding organisations to showcase exceptional art, dance, history, craft, science, technology and cutting edge design.

University College London (UCL) will create a new university campus to the south of the ArcelorMittal Orbit. The University of the Arts London will establish a new campus on Stratford Waterfront opposite the Aquatics Centre. The Waterfront site will also house new locations for the Victoria and Albert Museum and Sadler’s Wells.

The scheme is expected to deliver 3,000 jobs, 1.5 million additional visitors and £2.8 billion of economic value to Stratford and the surrounding area.

In July the Mayor announced an international design competition for the single education and cultural district on Stratford Waterfront. This had more than 1,000 architects, master planners, place makers, engineers and landscape designers from across the globe register their interest. A shortlist will be announced soon.

Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: “Olympicopolis will create a world class centre for arts and education on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, which will generate millions of pounds for East London’s economy and support thousands of jobs. It is absolutely fantastic that the Government has confirmed funding for this ambitious project to the tune of £141m, enabling us to progress with detailed plans for its delivery. This is an important milestone in our plans to realise a legacy from London’s 2012 Games that reaps economic and social dividends to last for generations to come.
http://queenelizabetholympicpark.co....cation-quarter
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #3688
MMM1983

Likes (Received): 7

Beautiful Beach

MMM1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics