daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:16 AM   #381
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM   #382
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

another redesign?
it looks wonderful, much better than the watercube imo
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM   #383
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:17 PM   #384
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

I think the aquatics centre looks amazing - can't see what all the moaning was about
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM   #385
tonkster

Likes (Received): 49

i think the moaning was about how its gonna look during the games
tonkster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM   #386
PD
perthistan

Likes (Received): 3799

At the risk of being torn apart by london forumers I am not a big fan of the 2012 olympic logo.
Alright Ill just say it, I think it stinks.
PD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM   #387
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 551

Dont worry just about everyone outside London agrees!
BeestonLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM   #388
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

And in London!

The Aquatics Centre looks great though - similar to, but better than the one in Valencia. Hope it turns out like the render.
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:09 AM   #389
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

I agree the Aquatics Center do look good, but the addition during the game look funny.

Why can't the stadium look half good as the Aquatics Center?
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:07 AM   #390
Sbz2ifc

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
And in London!

The Aquatics Centre looks great though - similar to, but better than the one in Valencia. Hope it turns out like the render.
What aquatics center in Valencia are you talking about?
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:06 PM   #391
tonkster

Likes (Received): 49

Am I the only one who doesnt care about the logo? I think all olympic logos look like they have been drawn by 3 year olds.
tonkster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM   #392
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post

Why can't the stadium look half good as the Aquatics Center?
Because there's no point spending money on an iconic design for a venue that will only be there for 17 days. Unlike the aquatics centre, which will be there forever.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:36 PM   #393
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Because there's no point spending money on an iconic design for a venue that will only be there for 17 days. Unlike the aquatics centre, which will be there forever.
he said half good. not as good.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:02 PM   #394
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 847

Mo, are those aquatic centre shots the most recent? It's been a while since I've been on any Olympic threads and everytime I go on, its a different design that looks fairly similiar (as far as I can remember) to the original concept..

Basic stadium for a short duration? - Fair point
Basic stadium in an already £9 billion budget - Mmmm?
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:40 PM   #395
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkster View Post
Am I the only one who doesnt care about the logo? I think all olympic logos look like they have been drawn by 3 year olds.
im with you
Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:04 PM   #396
Mo Rush

most recent according to the ODA. That doesnt include the temporary stands in olympic mode. post 2012 its a beautiful well thought out venue. the timber makes me go wild!! smartest move they've made wrt to the design.
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #397
savas
head up funny boy

Likes (Received): 413

Quote:
Spending over 12 billions (till now) but no money with an iconic olympic stadium? i dont get that. If you are hosting the Olympic Games you need an Olympic Stadium which remains one after the Games. It is the heart of the Games.

It is like wanna be King of lands, you build an iconic summer house but no castle!

I am a big supporter of the London Games (especially after Beijing), already signed as a volunteer but the Logo and Olympic Stadium issue is quite dissapointing for me. Perhaps this will change the next 4 years...

Ah, i forgotten: The Aquatic Center looks fantastic
savas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #398
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by savas View Post
Spending over 12 billions (till now)
The total budget for the Games is £9.3 billion.

Quote:
but no money with an iconic olympic stadium? i dont get that. If you are hosting the Olympic Games you need an Olympic Stadium which remains one after the Games. It is the heart of the Games.
No it isn't. The point is London doesn't need or want another 80,000 seater stadium for the upkeep to be paid for by Londoners tax for the next 100 years or so. It will never be filled again, and for any events which require that number they can use Wembley. The city simply doesn't need another 80,000 seater stadium and it will become a white elephant. Wembley couldn't be used for the Olympic stadium because the point of the London Olympics is to regenerate a massive swathe of the east of the city by placing the venues and village in a striking new urban park.

By designing a stadium which has a sunken permanent 25,000 seater bowl, and placing temporary 55,000 seats around its edge, the stadium after the Games can be sized down to a much more suitable size for the local community to pay for the upkeep for and use for local athletics without a massive drain on their local council budgets.

With a strict budget, there is simply no point on spending extra frills on an iconic design for the temporary seating area. The permanent bowl area will have extra money spent on it, as well as other permanent parts of the stadium.

This is the point of the London Olympics, it's showing how other cities possibly with less budget than London can host an Olympics by sizing up permanent structures to house Olympic size crowds, or built temporary venues that won't leave the city paying for white elephant upkeeps for decades after the Games. It's about embracing the temporary.

Quote:
Ah, i forgotten: The Aquatic Center looks fantastic
Well yes, because it is permanent.
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #399
somataki

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
The total budget for the Games is £9.3 billion.

No it isn't. The point is London doesn't need or want another 80,000 seater stadium for the upkeep to be paid for by Londoners tax for the next 100 years or so. It will never be filled again, and for any events which require that number they can use Wembley. The city simply doesn't need another 80,000 seater stadium and it will become a white elephant. .
So wrong... Athens stadium doesn t need a glass roof from calatrava with a design that costed as costs a small country itself (lol) but did it. The games could be held in a roofless olympic stadium as well (see IAAF Championship in Athens in the late 90's). Beijing doesnt need a freaking wow steel birdnest which looks like nothing else on this earth... but they did it...there were so many stadia in Beijing which could host a games only with some expansions for a bigger capacity...And even if London stadium had to be temporry, they could choose another temporary design as the grat one on the bid.
somataki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #400
DarJoLe

The bid design simply isn't a feasible piece of architecture with the budget they have been given.

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics