daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #401
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post

The point is London doesn't need or want another 80,000 seater stadium for the upkeep to be paid for by Londoners tax for the next 100 years or so. It will never be filled again, and for any events which require that number they can use Wembley. The city simply doesn't need another 80,000 seater stadium and it will become a white elephant.
do remember that some people dont see anythign wrong with oversized venues remaining idle after the games waiting for an operator to turn it into a theatre/wedding hall/anything that doesnt contribute to the legacy of sport a games SHOULD leave behind.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #402
Olympiaki-Agones

Likes (Received): 0

London looks like Montreal from now. Hopefully they can manage that budget problem, I don't think londoners are happy with that.
Olympiaki-Agones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #403
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

I wouldn't say that as Montreal was doomed from the start.It will only go that way if narrow minded people don't support it.There is a bigger picture to the whole development than just sport were talkng a major regeneration project for one of europes most deprived area's.Also London already has major sponsors in the bag-coca cola,samsung,omega,panasonic,visa,mcdonalds,adidas,ba,bt,edf and lloyds tsb way ahead of any other city and an impressive list of sponsors to
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #404
CrazyMac
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by somataki View Post
So wrong... Athens stadium doesn t need a glass roof from calatrava with a design that costed as costs a small country itself (lol) but did it. The games could be held in a roofless olympic stadium as well (see IAAF Championship in Athens in the late 90's). Beijing doesnt need a freaking wow steel birdnest which looks like nothing else on this earth... but they did it...there were so many stadia in Beijing which could host a games only with some expansions for a bigger capacity...And even if London stadium had to be temporry, they could choose another temporary design as the grat one on the bid.
That is such a load of horseshit.

The 'Birds Nest' stadium is China's new permanent NATIONAL stadium, which is why they went for such an imposing permanent design. Beijing prior to the 'birds nest' didnt have any comparable stadium in the city, whereas London already has Wembley.
CrazyMac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #405
lesart

Likes (Received): 16

What will happen to the 55, 000 temporary seats at the circus stadium after the games ended?

Will it be recycled in other sporting venue (maybe Glasgow Commonwealth Games in 2014, I presume?) or will London keep the seats for future spectator events?
lesart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #406
Coffee

Likes (Received): 0

London better cook up something to blow my mind with this Olympics, because every time I hear "London 2012" mentioned the image that pops into my mind is that godawful logo. It's one of the worst things I've ever seen. Like a nightmare I can't wake up from.

Ok I'm exaggerating. But I still hate it.
Old April 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #407
CrazyMac
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
London better cook up something to blow my mind with this Olympics, because every time I hear "London 2012" mentioned the image that pops into my mind is that godawful logo. It's one of the worst things I've ever seen. Like a nightmare I can't wake up from.

Ok I'm exaggerating. But I still hate it.
You need to get out more and stop worrying about something as trivial as a logo.

Its done its job, love it or hate it, everybody knows what it is and what it represents.
CrazyMac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #408
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION AT THE DOWNING STREET
WEBSITE TO MAKE THE 'FIRST DAY' OF 2012 OLYMPICS (July 27th 2012)
A NATIONAL HOLIDAY FOR THE UK

Click below and sign> if you support

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/2012Holiday/

[IMG]http://i25.************/2a7x8qs.jpg[/IMG]

give a chance for folk to trully enjoy the park and the olympics/buildings
or to watch/celebrate in the UK

Last edited by jerseyboi; April 26th, 2008 at 07:05 PM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #409
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post
PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION AT THE DOWNING STREET
WEBSITE TO MAKE THE 'FIRST DAY' OF 2012 OLYMPICS
A NATIONAL HOLIDAY FOR THE UK

Click below and sign> if you support

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/2012Holiday/

[IMG]http://i25.************/2a7x8qs.jpg[/IMG]

give a chance for folk to trully enjoy the park and the olympics/buildings
or to watch/celebrate in the UK
opening ceremony first day or the first day of competition which is 2 days before that when the football prelims begin
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #410
jerseyboi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
opening ceremony first day or the first day of competition which is 2 days before that when the football prelims begin
gone with the official date of july 27th 2012 (Opening ceremony July 27 )
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #411
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6363

I don't think London needs a further influx of people from the rest of the country on the Opening Ceremony day!
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #412
jerseyboi
BANNED

not just about London , other events are planned across the UK, but I know what you mean!
rest of the UK should have a chance...

its not every day that the UK gets the olympic's......

Last edited by jerseyboi; April 26th, 2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #413
jerseyboi
BANNED

Financial crisis threatens Olympic village

(from the telegraph)

Taxpayers may have to come to the rescue of building plans for the London Olympics because the project has been hit by the global credit crisis.

Full coverage of the 2008 and 2012 Games
Australian-owned Bovis Lend Lease, which was selected last year to construct the £2 billion Olympic Village in east London, is struggling to raise money to finance the project.

The site of the 2012 London Olympics
Sources claimed last night that the problems were so severe that it was possible that taxpayers - who have already seen the cost of staging the 2012 Games more than double to £9.3 billion - would have to provide more funding for the building plans.

A severe lack of credit in the banking system - and fears of a property price crash - have made it very difficult for any company to raise such a large sum, even for a prestige project involving a reputable company such as Bovis Lend Lease.

The news is a blow to ministers just five days before the local elections and the London mayoral election.

The Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA), which is responsible for providing the buildings and infrastructure, had hoped to sign off on a final contract with Bovis Lend Lease by early this year.

But insiders say they are uncertain when a deal will be done and what shape it will take.

An ODA spokesman insisted preparations were progressing well but admitted the credit crisis and the decline of the property market were creating problems.

advertisement
The emphasis, he said, was on ensuring preparatory work went ahead, as planned, with taxpayers' money, while attempts were made to sort out the financing difficulties with Bovis Lend Lease.

The spokesman said: "The Olympic village site is now cleared. Planning applications for the first blocks have been submitted and Lend Lease will start piling (building foundations) next month.

"We expect to sign interim agreements shortly. We will then need to have all the financial arrangements in place before the main build later this year. The deteriorating market presents a challenge but we remain on programme."

Bovis Lend Lease intends to build 4,200 homes, lease them back to the Government to house athletes and officials and then sell or rent them afterwards on a profit-share arrangement.

But with house prices declining and fears of a crash, it is impossible to estimate the price, or rent, the company will be able to secure for the flats after the Olympics.

A spokesman for Bovis Lend Lease said: "We are working closely with the ODA and the project is progressing well on all fronts. Demolition on site is complete, preparatory earth works have begun and the first phases of construction are on schedule to begin this summer."
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #414
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post
Financial crisis threatens Olympic village

Australian-owned Bovis Lend Lease, which was selected last year to construct the £2 billion Olympic Village in east London, is struggling to raise money to finance the project.
multiplex.
Old April 28th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #415
Maelstrom

Likes (Received): 3

lol, I was jut about to highlight that as well. Multiplex is a shit of a company, but do they own Bovis Lend Lease? Not every Australian company is Multiplex y'know...

And we didn't get a day off work when the Sydney Olympics started. Any excuse for a day off :P
Maelstrom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #416
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
lol, I was jut about to highlight that as well. Multiplex is a shit of a company, but do they own Bovis Lend Lease? Not every Australian company is Multiplex y'know...

And we didn't get a day off work when the Sydney Olympics started. Any excuse for a day off :P
i know. im not generalizing. many australian companies are fantastic, just thought id highlight a humorous fact that another australian company is involved and struggling to raise the finance.
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #417
Sbz2ifc

Likes (Received): 29

worldarchitecturenews.com

Work complete on landmark Olympic scheme

Benchmark buildings for London's Olympic development

Icona, the first scheme overlooking the Olympic Park is nearing completion. Telford Homes’ residential-led, mixed-use development is one of the first schemes in the area to hand over. It will overlook the Olympic aquatic centre and is within 300m of the proposed stadium. Telford Homes acted as both developer and contractor and architects and urban designers, Stock Woolstencroft, designed and oversaw the construction of this high profile, landmark development.

Telford Homes’ brief was for the architects to transform a derelict and decaying Brownfield site and deliver a landmark building, to act as a key driver for long-term revitalisation of the area. Stock Woolstencroft suggested a scheme clad with a brightly coloured façade to cement its prominent status. Inspiration for the elevations came from studying the work of artist Donald Judd, particularly his use of bold, regular forms, strong colours and industrial materials to create art that emphasised purity of colour, form, space and materials.

Icona comprises 249 units of which 87 are affordable housing for East Homes. The affordable homes all use the same materials and style as the open market homes making it a tenure blind development. There are three buildings that make up the development, an 18-storey tower and two other buildings at seven and four storeys. Underground parking (with 70 spaces) is provided, as is over 920sq m of commercial space, which includes a residents’ gym.

Stock Woolstencroft partner, Derek Jay said: “It is unusual for a residential scheme to have pre-fabrication to this extent on the external façade, demonstrating how Icona pushes technical boundaries as well as architectural ones. The outcome is a high quality, benchmark development that local people and London can be proud of.” Icona has already collected a Silver Seal of Excellence at the NHBC Pride in the Job awards.
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #418
jerseyboi
BANNED

Utilities contracts for the 2012 Olympic Park

McNicholas has clinched all four utilities contracts on the 2012 Olympic Park site in east London.

The Olympic Delivery Authority said cost savings would be generated by awarding all four packages of work to McNicholas, by bringing a greater efficiency to the utilities programme.

Work will include construction of 6km of mains water pipes, 6.5km of gas networks, 18km of trenching and 22km of telecommunications networks.

The ODA has also appointed civil engineer contractor Barhale to develop a primary sewer and pumping station.

EDF Energy has been appointed to design and build an electrical substation which will supply electricity to the 2.5sq km Olympic Park and the Stratford City development.
ODA director of infrastructure and utilities Simon Wright said: "These utility networks and infrastructure are not just for a summer of sport in 2012 but will serve the long-term regeneration of the area for many years to come and show that we are planning Games and legacy together from the very beginning.

"The utilities networks will form the backbone of the world-class venues we will construct in the Olympic Park. Bringing first-class companies on-board to deliver this essential infrastructure is a significant step forwards and with the majority of the utilities contracts now awarded we are firmly on-track."

Utilities contracts currently being procured are for a wind turbine and contracts to own and operate gas, water and wastewater networks serving the Olympic Park and Stratford City site.
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #419
PD
perthistan

Likes (Received): 3799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
i know. im not generalizing. many australian companies are fantastic, just thought id highlight a humorous fact that another australian company is involved and struggling to raise the finance.
Seriously are you at it again?

FYI the global credit crisis is just that - GLOBAL.
It is not an Australian problem.

You may also like to know that Multiplex is no longer a Perth company, it was sold by the family, it is now a Canadian company.
PD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #420
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD View Post
Seriously are you at it again?

FYI the global credit crisis is just that - GLOBAL.
It is not an Australian problem.

You may also like to know that Multiplex is no longer a Perth company, it was sold by the family, it is now a Canadian company.
dude dont take me seriously i really am just kidding.

fully aware of the credit crisis considering im studying it along with a thesis credit risk modelling. if it was a russian company that built wembley i wud prob have highlighted all the russian companies involved in london 2012's preparations.

no hidden agenda here..really only interested in the games and the stadia.

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics