daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #441
tonkster

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by channel View Post

Disaster like terminal 5 only highten the prospect of future problem with the Olympics
As I said, Terminal 5 isn't a disaster. Your comment lacks perspective.
tonkster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #442
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
You are paying an extra 38p a week. 38p! Not only is that for hosting an Olympics but you'll have a massive swathe of derelict polluted land on your doorstep turned into a huge park with world class sporting facilities and improved transport links and regeneration.

Anyone who is actually following the Olympic journey and not just reading about it through the dismissive press will realise it is currently running very, very smoothly.
well said
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM   #443
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

[IMG]http://i32.************/swsart.jpg[/IMG]

Work begins on Olympic stadium today

Construction is beginning at the London 2012 Olympic stadium, three months ahead of schedule.

Work on the 80,000-seater stadium was due to begin in August but the date was moved forward, and the first steps in digging the foundations begin today.

The Olympic Delivery Authority said it had been able to make an early start because of progress already made on site.

After the Games, the £500 million stadium will be turned into a 25,000 seat venue.

The milestone comes as members of the International Olympic Committee's Co-ordination Commission enter the last day of their three-day visit to London.

The 18-strong group has been treated to a series of presentations from London 2012 chairman Lord Coe and Olympic Delivery Authority chairman John Armitt, as well as meeting Olympics minister Tessa Jowell and the new Culture Secretary Andy Burnham.

Organisers are expected to say their preparations are on track, and will be hoping to gain praise similar to that of the previous inspection 11 months ago. Work on the 2012 Aquatics Centre is due to start this summer.

Preparation for the Olympics has been marred by reports that the cost of staging the Games has soared by £5 billion since initial estimates were made.

Last month a group of MPs branded the original 2012 estimates "entirely unrealistic" and accused ministers of succumbing to "wishful thinking".

The Commons public accounts committee also said it had little confidence the current estimate of more than £9 billion would not be exceeded.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the oda> today

Construction officially started on the London 2012 Olympic Park today as the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) began work on the Olympic Stadium - three months earlier than originally planned.

The work to create the permanent foundations for the Stadium was witnessed by Prime Minister Gordon Brown who had an opportunity to meet workers on site. In the next few years over a thousand workers will help build the venue.

The Stadium will be the centre-piece for the London 2012 Games with over 4bn people across the world watching the Opening and Closing Ceremonies and the track and field events.

Visiting the Olympic Park site, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said: 'The Olympic and Paralympic Games will mark a fantastic celebration in 2012 as Britain hosts the world’s greatest sporting event. The Games offer a unique opportunity to change the lives of young people through sport and the positive effects will be felt long after the Games have finished.

'The early start to building work on the Olympic Park site is good news, taking us another step closer to 2012 and the regeneration of one of the country’s most deprived areas. I have no doubt that the construction of the new permanent venues, infrastructure and transport links within the largest new urban park to be created in Europe for 150 years will be a catalyst for lasting social and economic change in east London.'

ODA Chairman John Armitt said: 'Over the next year the Olympic Stadium structure will begin to emerge from the ground.

'People will be able to see with their own eyes a stadium which is designed to be different – an innovative and sustainable design which uses temporary elements to meet a complex brief – a stadium built for both Games and legacy.

'It is great news that we can make an early start but this is a project with an immovable deadline so we know there are big challenges ahead.'

Chairman of the London Organising Committee Sebastian Coe said: 'The Olympic Stadium will be the jewel in the crown of the Olympic Park. It will be a fantastic centrepiece for track and field in the summer of 2012 and provide a lasting legacy for athletics in the UK for generations to come.

'Construction is starting early and as the building work takes shape over the next three years, we will be working hard on our plans to make sure we deliver a truly memorable Games for the Olympic and Paralympic athletes who will take centre stage in the Stadium at Games time, and for the communities who will use the Stadium in legacy.'

Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell said: 'Starting work early on the Stadium is a tremendous achievement and is a real indication of our progress, with all our major milestones met.

'I would like to congratulate the ODA and all the workers on site who have done fantastic job.

'There is still a lot of work to be done and many challenges to come. But I am delighted with what has been achieved so far and as we prepare for Beijing, it is immensely reassuring to know that preparations for our Games are on time and on track.'

Mayor of London Boris Johnson said: 'Starting the Stadium construction three months ahead of schedule is a tremendous achievement and I congratulate those who have worked tirelessly and professionally to make this happen.

'As I told the International Olympic Committee this week, I am determined to make sure that London does the Games proud, and that the Games leave a lasting legacy which every Londoner can enjoy and be proud of.'

Janet Paraskeva, Chair of the Olympic Lottery Distributor said: 'Impressive progress is being made on the Olympic Park site and we are very encouraged to see what is being achieved with support from the National Lottery.

'There is a long way to go but the prize of a lasting legacy of world-class sporting venues, thousands of new homes, new open spaces and community facilities - all within a new urban park served by first-class transport links - is getting closer every day.'

The first phase of construction involves reinforcing the ground on which the Stadium will sit upon by inserting up to 4,000 concrete columns into the soil. This forms the permanent foundations for the Stadium structure.

Through the autumn and winter of 2008, floor slabs will be laid for the base of the Stadium ‘bowl’ and the lower tier structures, and the columns that support the pedestrian concourse level will be built.

Early in 2009 the erection of the steel structures that will support the Stadium roof will begin to rise, giving an indication of the final height and scale of the structure.

Olympic Stadium facts and figures
Over 1,000 construction workers will be based on the Stadium site;
33 buildings on the Olympic Stadium site have been demolished;
Over 800,000 tonnes of soil has been taken away to help create the construction platform for the Stadium - enough to fill the Royal Albert Hall nine times over;
The Stadium is highly sustainable, containing around 10,000 tonnes of steel - the lightest Olympic Stadium to date;
The total Stadium island site covers an area of 40 acres – five times the size of the Houses of Parliament;
The Stadium is 53m high - taller than Nelson’s Column (50m);
The Stadium roof covers an area of 24,500 sq metres - the equivalent to three and a half football pitches.

1. The Team Stadium Consortium consists of:

Construction Contractor - Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd;
Architect and sport venue design - HOK Sport Ltd;
Structural and building services engineer - Buro Happold;
Landscape architect - HED;
Planning consultant - Savills Hepher Dixon

Projects they have worked on include the Arsenal Stadium (Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd, HOK Sport, Buro Happold) and the) the main Stadium for the Sydney Games (HOK Sport).

Last edited by jerseyboi; May 22nd, 2008 at 02:07 PM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM   #444
jerseyboi
BANNED

Perfect marks from the IOC For London 2012

LONDON (AP) - London Olympic organizers received nearly perfect marks from the IOC on Thursday, just hours after construction work on the main stadium for the 2012 Games began three months ahead of schedule.
International Olympic Committee coordination commission chairman Denis Oswald gave London a mark of 9.75 out of 10 at the end a
three-day visit.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:04 PM   #445
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post
LONDON (AP) - London Olympic organizers received nearly perfect marks from the IOC on Thursday, just hours after construction work on the main stadium for the 2012 Games began three months ahead of schedule.
International Olympic Committee coordination commission chairman Denis Oswald gave London a mark of 9.75 out of 10 at the end a
three-day visit.
if they can give it top marks why can't the moaners on here do the same
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM   #446
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

by worldarchitecturenews.com

London 2012 to introduce new “mobile” stadium.
The construction of the £496m London 2012 Olympic Stadium has officially started three months ahead of schedule and HOK Sports, the minds behind its design, have come up with a concept that could set a trend for Olympic venues to come.

The London 2012 Stadium will consist of a 25,000 seat concrete bowl adorned with an additional 55,000 seats placed in a temporary structure; details and methods of assembly and compatibility of materials are yet to be announced.

Once the Olympics will be over, the permanent 25,000 seat venue will be converted in to a community venue and the portable 55,000 seats will be dismantled, sold and shipped to the host of the 2016 Olympic Games.

A spokesperson of the Olympic Delivery Authority said: “London 2012 is designed to be different with a significant amount of temporary infrastructure to ensure the Games leave a sustainable legacy. It is early days and we have only held preliminary and very recent discussions with Chicago - at their instigation - covering some of the technical aspects of re-locating so many seats, but it is obviously good news that there is already interest in re-using them. We would of course be very happy to have the same discussions with any other bidding cities in the coming months. It is right that we should explore any opportunities that would recover some of the cost incurred by the lottery and public purse. We will also continue to explore options to re-locate facilities within the UK as a priority wherever possible."

The stadium’s sustainability is a high priority of the ODA and reflects the choice of low-impact materials such as hemp and recycled ships as possible elements of the final design of the world class sporting venue.

The stadium, which will cover a surface of 40 acres in the Lower Lea Valley in Stratford reaching the height of 53m and containing around 10,000 tonnes of steel, is to become the lightest Olympic Stadium to date.

Completion is scheduled for 2011.

Laura Salmi
Reporter

and a few renders I hope nobody posted before:

(if you can't see them, the link to the article and renders is: http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...upload_id=2373 )

Last edited by romanamerican; June 2nd, 2008 at 09:07 PM.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:57 AM   #447
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

Sounds a cool idea... sustainable.
I like the new renders.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM   #448
jak3m

amazing render:
[IMG]http://i26.************/j5bg4k.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:17 PM   #449
jerseyboi
BANNED

latest images>

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM   #450
somataki

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post

image hosted on flickr
The circus arrived in our town!!!!
somataki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM   #451
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 88

I must say im very impressed with the quality of HOK’s design. It will solve the problems that so many modern Olympics have which is the legacy of fantastically expensive white elephants but maintain an iconic image and provide a suitable stadium for such a high profile event. This intelligent design with its sustainable legacy will I believe become in time far more loved and memorable than other Olympic stadiums because of the unique experience that a visit will be.

It is a fine example of how architecture especially for events like the Olympics should be heading. It uses simple, sustainable and relatively cheep methods to achieve the so called ‘wow factor’. The dark area accentuated by coloured staircases and retail pods is a fine example.
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM   #452
jhae

omg!!!... what happened to the old design of the Olympic stadium...
i prefer the old design the new one doesn't have that same WOW factor at all (although very sustainable but the design part is lacking)
as the aquatics center design by zaha hadid, streamlined... this one look very structural, kind of a scaffolding.. nothing new or avant guard..

sorry but this doest fit my taste unlike the previous design (muscle inspired) that has a concept that is very fitting for LONDON i dunno but i think i want to see something that symbolize future of design and functionality... TT__TT

i agree with the other comments it sometimes come across as very circusy to me

Last edited by jhae; June 3rd, 2008 at 05:40 PM.
jhae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM   #453
jak3m

HOLY SHIT!
this stadium looks magnificent!!
bright, sustainable and energetic!
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM   #454
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhae View Post
omg!!!... what happened to the old design of the Olympic stadium...
i prefer the old design the new one doesn't have that same WOW factor at all (although very sustainable but the design part is lacking)
as the aquatics center design by zaha hadid, streamlined... this one look very structural, kind of a scaffolding.. nothing new or avant guard..

sorry but this doest fit my taste unlike the previous design (muscle inspired) that has a concept that is very fitting for LONDON i dunno but i think i want to see something that symbolize future of design and functionality... TT__TT

i agree with the other comments it sometimes come across as very circusy to me
6 months too late.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM   #455
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

I think jhae is living in a time warp!
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:05 PM   #456
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

id like a white wrap with videos/footage of past games projected. when thats not happening. scores/updates projects...when thats not happening, highlights of daily olympic action from other venues. and maybe even medal ceremonies projected onto it when a brit wins a medal...e.g. henman hill instead of that public viewing area some distance away.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #457
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

Awesome design. It's so much friendlier than the Bird's Nest in Beijing.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #458
aaronaugi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
Once the Olympics will be over, the permanent 25,000 seat venue will be converted in to a community venue and the portable 55,000 seats will be dismantled, sold and shipped to the host of the 2016 Olympic Games.

A spokesperson of the Olympic Delivery Authority said: “London 2012 is designed to be different with a significant amount of temporary infrastructure to ensure the Games leave a sustainable legacy. It is early days and we have only held preliminary and very recent discussions with Chicago - at their instigation - covering some of the technical aspects of re-locating so many seats, but it is obviously good news that there is already interest in re-using them.
bit cocky by Chicago to already be it talks i guess....and what are the seats going to do for the four years in between? sit in a warehouse?
aaronaugi1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #459
kuw01medan

Not a "Futuristic" Design..... just "ORDINARY STADIUM", Nothing Special!!
kuw01medan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #460
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

I must agree on the fact that it looks more alive. The colors make it extremely vital. Useless to compare their ecological impact, since the London stadium would win by just looking at it.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics