daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #461
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

CONSTRUCTION UPDATE:
Building work has started on the Olympic Village, which will accommodate athletes and officials during the London 2012 Games and provide thousands of new homes after 2012.

Piling work is now underway on the site. This involves casting concrete columns in holes up to 24m deep. These columns form the permanent foundations for the first blocks of the Village.

The Village will provide 17,000 beds for athletes and officials during the Olympic Games and 7,500 in the Paralympic Games.

After 2012, it will be transformed into up to 3,500 new homes, with a mix of affordable housing, and accommodation for sale and rent. The communities that develop in the area after the Games will be supported by new parks, open space, community facilities and transport links.

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #462
remsboy

Likes (Received): 0

i don't like the stadium....beurk!
remsboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #463
SoHype!
T O N I G H T

Likes (Received): 8027

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3m View Post
HOLY SHIT!
this stadium looks magnificent!!
bright, sustainable and energetic!
You're right! a well design waste-paper-basket! yeah baby!

By the way...

"El futuro es lo obsoleto en reversa". Vladimir Nabokov
a r c h i t e c t u r e / r e a l _ e s t a t e
SoHype! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #464
jhae

i have to agree, even though for temporary use.. the design looks very basic, blunt(lacks feeling) i have to quote kuw01medan>> very ordinary... lacks aesthetics.. it's not as modern as the iconic logo for london 2012.. it doesn't piece from the concept of modernizing which was the aim of the logo....

>>>i'm reviewing this as a design student, myself... and a fan of architecture and engineering...

it is clearly has been over powered by the london aquatics designed by zaha hadid too bad it had been re-designed too but still maintained that sleek look.

i propose a re-design of the stadium that still has that temporary function.. if not they could still simplify it by removing the top part (looks like scaffoldings) and replacing it with something more modern in design..

awesome designs on the Olympic village and the aquatics center but the stadium is a bit erhh we've seen that one!!!!!

quoting somataki >>> the circus has arrive to town.. it looks like it.. it belongs to a theme park.. sorry guys....but i really like the ealy design the best it is very london which is design at it's best!!.. the early design relates that much on the surrounding... and has an outstanding concept behind it.. to bad it ended as a concept... but great minds on Foreign Office Architects did a great job for the early design...

the stadium's early design

thats what design should be... AND!!! ^ thats an OLYMPICS STADIUM

Last edited by jhae; June 6th, 2008 at 07:37 PM.
jhae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #465
fishcatdogbird
* I BELIEVE YOU WINONA *

Likes (Received): 8

LOVE the new pics, this will be fantastic!!!
fishcatdogbird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #466
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6363

Even if they had of built the FAO concept design, it would look nothing like what it does in those renderings.

That's why it's called a 'concept design'.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #467
jak3m

I think the concept design looked dull. The only thing i liked about the concept was the muscle idea..
People should just get over that london 2012's stadium isnt going to be the AmAzInG BirDs NEsT.
the 'birds nest' looks horrid and like a bowl of noodles/worms.
i'd rather have a 'waste-paper-basket' than a bowl of worms.
at least our aquatics centre looks a million times aesthetically pleasing than the watercube.
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #468
DarJoLe

The FAO design simply couldn't be built. I couldn't understand what the muscley bits were supposed to be made of, were they glass or were they a stretched fabric? Either way, the design was flawed and would of been changed just as the stadium we are building has changed since the first design was released last year.
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #469
somataki

Quote:

Sure! Birdsnest is considered as one of world's best stadiums and -in terms of style-, it is unique.
Stay with your anonymous-architecture-stadium and let the rest of the silly world admiring a worms ball!
somataki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #470
DarJoLe

Once again, people are comparing apples and oranges when comparing Beijing's to London's Olympic stadium.

London's stadium is iconic. The design may not have the flair or visual impact of Beijing's or Athens, but the sheer engineering involved is astonishing. This is the lightest Olympic stadium in history, using the minimum amount of steel possible. It is the largest dismountable stadium in history and the most sustainable and environmentally friendly. The permanent bowl in the centre will allow spectators to be the closest the Olympics have ever seen to the running track, which will create an electric atmosphere inside the stadium, and the podium level outside with the public piazza will duplicate the same atmosphere outside. Every seat will have an uninterrupted view of all of the running track.

London's stadium is demonstrating how a city can build an Olympic stadium that meets all the requirements of the IOC and athletic bodies, put on an exceptional Olympics AND be dismountable in its transformation to a smaller, sustainable and more compact venue that can be used and maintained to a high standard by the local community for future generations without ending up a white elephant.

Beijing's stadium is a completely different affair. They are building it to be their National stadium, in effect they are building what is London's Wembley stadium. It's a completely different kettle of fish, and I'm tired of the two being constantly compared when they are two completely different projects designed for two completely different reasons.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #471
somataki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
London's stadium is iconic. The design may not have the flair or visual impact of Beijing's or Athens, but the sheer engineering involved is astonishing. This is the lightest Olympic stadium in history, using the minimum amount of steel possible. It is the largest dismountable stadium in history and the most sustainable and environmentally friendly.
U forget of the Olympic Stadium in Olympia

All these that u mentioned, could be a reality with a much better design. Environmentally friendly, light, electric atmosphere, resizable after the games, etc etc. All these, in a better design like the one in London's bid. U only had to spent some more money. Noone complains because the stadium will have less capacity after the games. The only matter is the crappy design.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #472
DarJoLe

It's not a case of spending more money. It's the fact only one contractor was willing to design and build it!
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #473
somataki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
It's not a case of spending more money. It's the fact only one contractor was willing to design and build it!
Couldn't someone there choose the contractor by his design?
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #474
randolphan

Likes (Received): 5

zhah hadid i love you! you make me falling in love with london again!
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #475
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhae View Post

the stadium's early CONCEPTdesign

thats what design should be... AND!!! ^ thats an OLYMPICS STADIUM

now that i think about it. the overall shape could have been simplified to one of our world cup stadia.

http://www.mandelametro.gov.za/fifaw...ght%20View.jpg
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #476
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
I think the concept design looked dull. The only thing i liked about the concept was the muscle idea..
People should just get over that london 2012's stadium isnt going to be the AmAzInG BirDs NEsT.
at least our aquatics centre looks a million times aesthetically pleasing than the watercube.
oh my god. the birds nest is an amazing in terms of concept, design and engineering. and it looks fantastic.

but i do agree that our aquatics centre is going to be better. only because its designed by the great one herself, zaha hadid!
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #477
jhae

I'm not comparing it... its just that they could have DESIGNED way much better!!!!

it's very poor aesthetically.... they could have designed it better having the same functions..

the early design can be built.. only if there is someone out there to believe, has the dedication and have the guts to make it happen it a part of human psyche at first there is displease then wow if it had made into reality....

i really hate when people speculate the ability of a creative mind.....there are a lot of talented young architects out there that could do way much better than that......

*to quote a news article i've read, talking about the stadium's alternate design...
"the price of the new design doesn't reflect its look... its expensive and yet it looks cheap"....

Sadly, they should have chosen someone thats more creative... the design is very basic...

and the proposal for the hubs outside, just makes the stadium not self sufficient, it has an effect to the human psyche because of spatial factors.

IN DESIGN....
i love the AQUATICS but very much hated the re-designed STADUIM... sad....

Last edited by jhae; June 7th, 2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old June 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #478
lasdun

Likes (Received): 7

London's game's is a massive departure from the recent trend. Sydney raised the bar, Athens was incredible, but the Olympics has become more and more expensive and increasingly difficult for any nation to host - just look at the aftermath of Athens, the debt, the useless buildings.

Beijing is going to take this even further - the city has been replanned - an incredible undertaking - but what democratic country with decent wages could do the same? None. Beijing will set an impossible standard that no other country can challenge in terms of constructions, no other country has the combination of political and economic factors that are present in modern China.

The London concept is for a smaller, cheaper, more sustainable games. Admittedly we're not good a cheap here, but if Beijing was paying London prices for building materials and labour I can't conceive of the final bill.

With the Athens, Sydney, Bejing format can you ever see a second tier city like Munich hosting the games? The cheaper games will mean more cities can compete, more cities competing will drive standards higher, for the benefit of the movement, sport, and of course - design.
lasdun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #479
jhae

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasdun View Post
London's game's is a massive departure from the recent trend. Sydney raised the bar, Athens was incredible, but the Olympics has become more and more expensive and increasingly difficult for any nation to host - just look at the aftermath of Athens, the debt, the useless buildings.

Beijing is going to take this even further - the city has been replanned - an incredible undertaking - but what democratic country with decent wages could do the same? None. Beijing will set an impossible standard that no other country can challenge in terms of constructions, no other country has the combination of political and economic factors that are present in modern China.

The London concept is for a smaller, cheaper, more sustainable games. Admittedly we're not good a cheap here, but if Beijing was paying London prices for building materials and labour I can't conceive of the final bill.

With the Athens, Sydney, Bejing format can you ever see a second tier city like Munich hosting the games? The cheaper games will mean more cities can compete, more cities competing will drive standards higher, for the benefit of the movement, sport, and of course - design.
well said ^__^, but the design could be more engaging without being expensive it takes a lot of creativity for that to happen..
my point is why does it have too look very ordinary...that fits the stereotype when the engineer designs without the architect(my professor said pertaining to hard,stiff, ordinary, basic looking structures)

Last edited by jhae; June 7th, 2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old June 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #480
jak3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasdun View Post

extremely well said.

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics