daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:09 AM   #541
Sexas
Whole Other Country
 
Sexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 735
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Well, never seen you here before - hopefully won't see you again. You've been reported.
Just because I think the London Olympic preparation is bad, bad logo, bad design, bad time table, think too much, try too much but showing too little. Now I been reported because some major A**hole can't face the reality, all he can say is make a racial remake tell me "write it in English"

what a joke!!
__________________
Communication is Inevitable, Irreversible & Unrepeatable. Be Warn!
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:19 AM   #542
Sexas
Whole Other Country
 
Sexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 735
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
The human cost of the Games: Standing up to the Beijing bulldozers

only building left on what used to be a busy commercial district just south of Tiananmen Square.
the Olympics Green is way north from the Tiananmen Square.
__________________
Communication is Inevitable, Irreversible & Unrepeatable. Be Warn!
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:15 AM   #543
UK Resident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
The human cost of the Games: Standing up to the Beijing bulldozers

Sun Ruoyu apologises for the state of her restaurant in the Chinese capital's historic Qianmen district but explains how she was forced to close rather hurriedly to stop the wrecking ball from claiming her livelihood.

A Beijing-born Australian citizen, she is fighting to save the restaurant her family has run for 160 years from being knocked down to make way for the Olympics marathon route. Much of the surrounding area, once a bustling mix of ancient Mongol, Manchu and Han architecture, has been flattened and her restaurant stands out starkly as the only building left on what used to be a busy commercial district just south of Tiananmen Square.

"I'm so sorry, it's normally much nicer than this. But we got the notice 10 days' ago that they want to knock it down anytime after the following Monday, so we haven't been operating lately,"

....

"They are trying to rob us. The police come many times and advise us to take the money and go. They say if we don't go that hundreds of workers will come and knock it down by force," she said..
....

OK, firstly, Qianmen is a 'hutong' district. Tradtional courtyard houses with very narrow alleyways. In reality, the majority of hutong areas are decrepid, run-down areas of substandard housing and commercial premises. There is a reason why these are being bulldozed and the resident communities relocated. There is an equivalent system in the UK, it's called 'compulsory purchase' - and believe me, once a local council or even the governent consider this as viable, then nothing can stop the process. Like the Chinese system, it's for the greater good - as this should be, no one individual is more inportant than the majority.

But the difference with Beijing, is that this has to be done. The need is greater. I mean it's the capital city, breaking into the 21st century, and they still have these slums right in the centre of town. What the article and yourself fail to understand is that you should not judge the Chinese with our modern western ideals. This is a developing country, and it needs to improve it's infrastructure like we have done so many times in the past.

The hutongs are a fire risk, the close proximity of the houses and narrow alleyways exacerbate this. Also, they pose a health risk with livestock reared, killed and cooked all within the same confines. Some of the hutongs have open sewers running along the edges of the housing. So in summary, demolition is viable in order for Beijing to operate and exist as a 21st century city. (Unless you believe the Chinese should be prevented from modernising their city or go to some unrealistic length and exorbitant cost to somehow bypass the hutongs! Who are we to deny what we have already achieved ourselves, but if we can't ignore our conscience, perhaps we should (as a developed country) offer them the money and our expertise for free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
[SIZE="5"]The Geneva-based Centre on Housing Rights and Evictions reckons 1.5 million people will have been relocated for Olympics- related projects. Government estimates put the figure at just over 6,000..
This is conjecture.
UK Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:16 AM   #544
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Just because I think the London Olympic preparation is bad
hahahahahahahahahaha

have you even seen the planning and preparation that has brought us to this point. we're talking unprecedented levels of planning and detail that surpasses athens, sydney and beijing.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:42 AM   #545
DarJoLe
Registered User
 
DarJoLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London
Posts: 19,834
Likes (Received): 6363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Just because I think the London Olympic preparation is bad, bad logo, bad design, bad time table, think too much, try too much but showing too little.
To be honest though, it doesn't matter what you think. It does matter though what the IOC think of London's preparations - recently awarded 9.5/10 and considered the furthest ahead at this stage of any of the previous Olympic hosts.

So, I guess that means what you think is wrong. And if an opinion is based on untrue facts, it isn't a valid opinion.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:04 PM   #546
JamesFab
Registered User
 
JamesFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manila
Posts: 21
Likes (Received): 0

Hi! I'm new here. I actually appreciate the London logo and the London Olympic stadium... Hehehe... I'm actually biased... I Love London! It's like my most favorite city... Even though the London Olympic Stadium is a disappointment to others... I actually think that the London Olympic Park as a whole is impressive and the design of the other structures such as the Velodrome and the Aquatic Centre is amazing... I can't wait for until 2012!
JamesFab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:14 PM   #547
jak3m
Registered User
 
jak3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 279
Likes (Received): 4

Im looking foreward to the crossover from beijing to london at the closing ceremony.
Any ideas on whats happening?
__________________
| Build the Tour de Verre |
jak3m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM   #548
JamesFab
Registered User
 
JamesFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manila
Posts: 21
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3m View Post
Im looking foreward to the crossover from beijing to london at the closing ceremony.
Any ideas on whats happening?
That is also the only reason I am excited about Beijing except for the fact that I'll probably be supporting the Russian team... I just want to see what will happen in the Handover Ceremony on the Closing Ceremony... I want to see what London has prepared... I bet it is great!
JamesFab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:30 PM   #549
jerseyboi
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,144
Likes (Received): 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFab View Post
That is also the only reason I am excited about Beijing except for the fact that I'll probably be supporting the Russian team... I just want to see what will happen in the Handover Ceremony on the Closing Ceremony... I want to see what London has prepared... I bet it is great!
The London bus will burst into the Birds Nest Stadium

Sydney sent kangaroos on bicycles and Atlanta revealed a logo that looked like a blue sperm.

All aboard Ė destination Beijing. A red double-decker bus, symbol of London, will burst into the arena at the closing ceremony of this summerís Olympic Games, carrying stars such as David Beckham and Leona Lewis, to herald Britainís hosting of the 2012 Olympiad as china hands over to London 2012.

The open-top bus is already en route by container ship to China.

Once inside the 90,000-seat Beijing National Stadium, built to resemble a birdís nest, Beckham is expected to hop off to kick footballs with children representing every country in the world. At the next ďstopĒ inside the £250m arena, Lewis, who won the X Factor talent show in 2006, will perform to a glo-bal television audience forecast to number 1.5 billion. Then the two stars will link arms as 40 dancers from groups as diverse as Londonís hip-hop scene and the Royal Opera strut their stuff.

The £2m extravaganza, lasting just eight minutes, is Londonís contribution to the closing ceremony on Sunday August 24. It will be mirrored by a show in Trafalgar Square and street parties in 10 other cities, including Cardiff, Glasgow and Manchester.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM   #550
JamesFab
Registered User
 
JamesFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manila
Posts: 21
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post
The London bus will burst into the Birds Nest Stadium

Sydney sent kangaroos on bicycles and Atlanta revealed a logo that looked like a blue sperm.

All aboard Ė destination Beijing. A red double-decker bus, symbol of London, will burst into the arena at the closing ceremony of this summerís Olympic Games, carrying stars such as David Beckham and Leona Lewis, to herald Britainís hosting of the 2012 Olympiad as china hands over to London 2012.

The open-top bus is already en route by container ship to China.

Once inside the 90,000-seat Beijing National Stadium, built to resemble a birdís nest, Beckham is expected to hop off to kick footballs with children representing every country in the world. At the next ďstopĒ inside the £250m arena, Lewis, who won the X Factor talent show in 2006, will perform to a glo-bal television audience forecast to number 1.5 billion. Then the two stars will link arms as 40 dancers from groups as diverse as Londonís hip-hop scene and the Royal Opera strut their stuff.

The £2m extravaganza, lasting just eight minutes, is Londonís contribution to the closing ceremony on Sunday August 24. It will be mirrored by a show in Trafalgar Square and street parties in 10 other cities, including Cardiff, Glasgow and Manchester.
I think this would be fantastic... Hehehe!!! Go London!
JamesFab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM   #551
JamesFab
Registered User
 
JamesFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manila
Posts: 21
Likes (Received): 0

Can't wait for the Closing ceremonies... I want to see the Handover to London...
__________________
XOXO JamesFab!
JamesFab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:12 PM   #552
UK Resident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
hahahahahahahahahaha

have you even seen the planning and preparation that has brought us to this point. we're talking unprecedented levels of planning and detail that surpasses athens, sydney and beijing.
Yes, it's unprecedented for London, but compared to Beijing. I think not. How many new venues have they created? They aren't re-using existing venues, simply because Beijing doesn't have them. Contrast that to London, where many of the facilities are in place or just need some modification. On top of this, the infrastructure is not as up-to date as London (with the exception of the Tube system where they are probably on par!) As a result, they have had to start from scratch.
UK Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM   #553
UK Resident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFab View Post
Hi! I'm new here. I actually appreciate the London logo and the London Olympic stadium... Hehehe... I'm actually biased... I Love London! It's like my most favorite city... Even though the London Olympic Stadium is a disappointment to others... I actually think that the London Olympic Park as a whole is impressive and the design of the other structures such as the Velodrome and the Aquatic Centre is amazing... I can't wait for until 2012!
Hi! I like the logo aswell (though I think I am in the minority - it's original!)

I guess you're not overly impressed with the stadium either!!! But I must admit, I like the Velodrome and the original Aquatics centre scheme by Zaha Hadid; now, not so much. It's been diluted due to cost etc, etc as per usual.
UK Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:23 PM   #554
DarJoLe
Registered User
 
DarJoLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London
Posts: 19,834
Likes (Received): 6363

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Resident View Post
Yes, it's unprecedented for London, but compared to Beijing. I think not. How many new venues have they created? They aren't re-using existing venues, simply because Beijing doesn't have them. Contrast that to London, where many of the facilities are in place or just need some modification.
Yeah, and? Are you saying you would only consider London's preparations a success if they were building as many new venues as Beijing? How utterly ridiculous. They are two completely different Games with two completely different legacies.

If London was building as many venues as Beijing (ignoring the sheer waste of money that would be) it would have probably cancelled the Games through fear of bankrupting the city by now.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:42 PM   #555
UK Resident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Yeah, and? Are you saying you would only consider London's preparations a success if they were building as many new venues as Beijing? How utterly ridiculous. They are two completely different Games with two completely different legacies.

If London was building as many venues as Beijing (ignoring the sheer waste of money that would be) it would have probably cancelled the Games through fear of bankrupting the city by now.
Why so argumentative? I was simply replying to a comment by MoRush that was clearly incorrect.

My response was to correct what was wrong and I gave an explanation to justify my point. It's not my fault if you construe it as an attack on London and the UK in general.

Myself, I am not so paranoid nor insecure about my country. I understand that London can never achieve what Beijing has, regardless of whether London needs to or not.
UK Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:48 PM   #556
tuten
Registered User
 
tuten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London
Posts: 4,338
Likes (Received): 1380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Just because I think the London Olympic preparation is bad, bad logo, bad design, bad time table, think too much, try too much but showing too little. Now I been reported because some major A**hole can't face the reality, all he can say is make a racial remake tell me "write it in English"

what a joke!!
Well, you can think what you like mate, but as has been already said, you have been proved wrong.
Did you even read your post that I replied too? It was incomprehensible, then you go on to insult me, and make a racist remark that doesn't even apply to me!

In fact I think ill report you as well, close the door on your way out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Resident View Post
Why so argumentative? I was simply replying to a comment by MoRush that was clearly incorrect.

My response was to correct what was wrong and I gave an explanation to justify my point. It's not my fault if you construe it as an attack on London and the UK in general.

Myself, I am not so paranoid nor insecure about my country. I understand that London can never achieve what Beijing has, regardless of whether London needs to or not.
What exactly did you expect from the London Olympics. The vision of the games is sustainability and redevelopment. Beijing's vision is showing the world what they can do. How can you expect the two to be similar in any way? Your expectations are ridiculous, the London games was never going to be about how pretty we can make our stadium, and how many big new buildings can we build, that after two weeks, will become useless. Be happy with the vision, and its success, or dont be happy, and miss the opportunity to witness the one of the greatest events this country has seen.
__________________
I shoot in 360



Citius, Altius, Fortius.
tuten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:06 PM   #557
UK Resident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 80
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuten View Post

What exactly did you expect from the London Olympics. The vision of the games is sustainability and redevelopment. Beijing's vision is showing the world what they can do. How can you expect the two to be similar in any way? Your expectations are ridiculous, the London games was never going to be about how pretty we can make our stadium, and how many big new buildings can we build, that after two weeks, will become useless. Be happy with the vision, and its success, or dont be happy, and miss the opportunity to witness the one of the greatest events this country has seen.
Again, another individual who doesn't read posts properly.

I made no reference to my expectations of London, nor did I imply that the Beijing and London 'vision' of the Games were one and the same.

Just stop making arguments and comments up.

But to clarify things (again) - My post in question was a response to MoRush incorrect statement about the extent of London's preparation.
UK Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM   #558
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Resident View Post
Yes, it's unprecedented for London, but compared to Beijing. I think not. How many new venues have they created? They aren't re-using existing venues, simply because Beijing doesn't have them. Contrast that to London, where many of the facilities are in place or just need some modification. On top of this, the infrastructure is not as up-to date as London (with the exception of the Tube system where they are probably on par!) As a result, they have had to start from scratch.
Well its a statement I made before and after the visit by IOC big-wig Denis Oswald. Simply because Beijing is building more new venues doesn't mean the level of planning and early preparation by London is somehow less important or less detailed. Lets not even get started on transparency.

Beijing had to start from scratch in some areas but Beijing also bid with a technically feasible and strong plan based on the use of existing and future infrastructure. Its airport was deemed capable to handle capacity without a new terminal and if I remember correctly the IOC technical group did not use the word "obsolete" to describe its transport system as it did with London's bid.

Many still remain very very confused between what is required and the amibitious proposals by Beijing during its bid and after it won the bid.

London's planning and preparation and fairly transparent approach to dealing with challenges remains unprecedented in Olympic history even when compared to the likes of Sydney. The involvement of professionals and firms from the UK and abroad has resulted in an extensive knowledge base that has carefully been used to produce the cm by cm detail we see on the planning website.

Building more or designing more doesn't imply any of the above.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:27 PM   #559
Sexas
Whole Other Country
 
Sexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 735
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuten View Post
Well, you can think what you like mate, but as has been already said, you have been proved wrong.
Did you even read your post that I replied too? It was incomprehensible, then you go on to insult me, and make a racist remark that doesn't even apply to me!

In fact I think ill report you as well, close the door on your way out!


Who make racist remark on the first place, this is NOT a brit only forums, again and again do I need tell the mod block the people who don't understand, or what I need to do to make you understand not to make fun on other's English because you don't speak Spanish, Chinese and German. If you really can't read what I write, how can you understand and respond. Since you can read but still make fun on me, it is a racist remark!

If you don't care what other people think or believe, why you come to the forums on the first place? So than others can listen to your one way bull shit? Give Me a break and think before you say I am marking you, you just making a fool out of yourself.

By the way: Most Brit and Londoner think the preparation is bad for a reason, do you think IOC will say London preparation suck since they are the one rewarded London the game.
[we're talking unprecedented levels of planning and detail that surpasses athens, sydney and beijing.] <--- That's what I try to say: Big planning, think too much, try too much but none come out look like the original blueprint, everything got cut back or scale down. Why don't bring this scale down vision to bid for the hosting city for Olympics, I want to see what happen. Moscow 2012??
__________________
Communication is Inevitable, Irreversible & Unrepeatable. Be Warn!

Last edited by Sexas; July 23rd, 2008 at 07:49 PM.
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM   #560
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Who make racist remark on the first place, this is NOT a brit only forums, again and again do I need tell the mod block the people who don't understand, or what I need to do to make you understand not to make fun on other's English because you don't speak Spanish, Chinese and German. If you really can't read what I write, how can you understand and respond. Since you can read but still make fun on me, it is a racist remark!

If you don't care what other people think or believe, why you come to the forums on the first place? So than others can listen to your one way bull shit? Give Me a break and think before you say I am marking you, you just making a fool out of yourself.

By the way: Most Brit and Londoner think the preparation is bad for a reason, do you think IOC will say London preparation suck since they are the one rewarded London the game.
[we're talking unprecedented levels of planning and detail that surpasses athens, sydney and beijing.] <--- That's what I try to say: Big planning, think too much, try too much but none come out look like the original blueprint, everything got cut back or scale down. Why don't bring this scale down vision to bid for the hosting city for Olympics, I want to see what happen. Moscow 2012??
You're implying Denis Oswald and the likes are simply putting on some show by giving London 97% on their inspection visit?

Everything got cut back and scaled back.?!??!?!?!?!?!

I'm not even gonna bother replying to rubbish anymore.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu