daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:11 PM   #561
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
You're implying Denis Oswald and the likes are simply putting on some show by giving London 97% on their inspection visit?

Everything got cut back and scaled back.?!??!?!?!?!?!

I'm not even gonna bother replying to rubbish anymore.
Yes I do! It is his job to put a good face on Olympic preparation. Just like the Athens 2004 IOC say "Everything is on time and on budget!" remember that joke?

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:23 PM   #562
tuten

Likes (Received): 1372

Well fist I'd like you to show me what has been scaled back.
Then you can give proof that there has been no progress, even though many pics have been posted of the large development site that is ahead of schedule.
Then you can explain how you know what 'the majority of Londoners and Brits' think.

If you can't do that, then your claims are meaningless.

Citius, Altius, Fortius.
tuten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:38 PM   #563
RobH

Likes (Received): 10313

DarJoLe, can you post the pictures of the park from above to show this guy what scale we're talking about?

London's Games, even with a few cut-backs is still massive; the biggest contruction project in Europe creating the biggest new urban park in the continent for over a century. If you can't appreaciate that then that's your problem.

There have been bumps but London is doing very well overall.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:48 PM   #564
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Just because I think the London Olympic preparation is bad, bad logo, bad design, bad time table, think too much, try too much but showing too little. Now I been reported because some major A**hole can't face the reality, all he can say is make a racial remake tell me "write it in English"

what a joke!!

Can somebody tell me who I go to to report this person as well?
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #565
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6361

Quote:
It is his job to put a good face on Olympic preparation. Just like the Athens 2004 IOC say "Everything is on time and on budget!" remember that joke?
Of course it is. I don't think anyone is denying that. I'm sure that 0.5 that London didn't get was discussed behind closed doors, and I expect very much it has to do with the funding with the Olympic Village. But there's not much we can do about a global credit crisis forcing a minor scaling back of the athletes housing; a challenge that would have affected whatever city was chosen back in 2005.

But you simply can't deny the extensive progress London has made in its preparations for 2012 in the last three years. This idea that the London Olympics will be a massively scaled down version of the one proposed in 2005 is ridiculous. Changes happen, financial security changes, legacy requirements change and at each hurdle London 2012 have succeeded in meeting those changes and maintaining IOC requirements. And that's all that matters at the end of the day; rebuilding a massively contaminated part of East London for future generations that is additionally temporarily capable of hosting a successful Olympic Games in 2012. And London is very much on track to achieve that.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #566
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3m View Post
Im looking foreward to the crossover from beijing to london at the closing ceremony.
Any ideas on whats happening?
leona lewis and david beckham
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #567
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuten View Post
Well fist I'd like you to show me what has been scaled back.
Then you can give proof that there has been no progress, even though many pics have been posted of the large development site that is ahead of schedule.
Then you can explain how you know what 'the majority of Londoners and Brits' think.

If you can't do that, then your claims are meaningless.
Fair enough! here is one for you just come out today by AP

London 2012 warned about costs

LONDON (AP) -- The British government's financial watchdog renewed concerns Thursday about cost overruns for the London 2012 Olympics, especially any potential changes after assessing next month's Beijing Games.

The House of Commons Public Accounts Committee said organizers should be braced for a costly reevaluation of security, which could diminish the venues' legacy benefits.

While construction of the Olympic Stadium started three months ahead of schedule and work on the Aquatics Center began two months early, the PAC noted "slippage" in the planned completion of some projects.

"Despite our recommendations, arrangements to manage the whole program and the associated risks are not yet in place," PAC chairman Edward Leigh said. "As legacy and security requirements are firmed up and as lessons from Beijing are taken on board, the delivery bodies must keep tight control over costs and time.

"There will be pressure to change venues and infrastructure; the delivery bodies must be quite clear about the costs of any such changes and their consequences for the program."

The Olympic Delivery Authority warned earlier this week that London's preparations are being affected by turmoil in the global financial markets, which could make the project go over budget.

Concerns center on the Olympic Village and preferred developer Lend Lease.

"The rocky state of the financial and property markets has not helped efforts, so far unsuccessful, to reach a deal with the private sector to build the Olympic Village, expected to cost more than 1 billion pounds (US$2 billion; euro1.27 billion)," Leigh said.

The PAC is dissatisfied that the ODA has been forced to reduce the number of homes in the village from 4,200 to 3,300, reducing the contribution the development was to make to the housing market after the games.

"A deal with the private sector for the Olympic Village has not been secured, security and legacy plans are incomplete, there are inflationary pressures, there is an increased risk of insolvency amongst suppliers and the government is guarantor if there were to be a gap between LOCOG's (London Organizing Committee of the Olympic Games) revenues and costs," the PAC report said.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport reassured the PAC that the public funding budget will not exceed 9.3 billion pounds (US$19.1 billion; euro12.9 billion). The original estimate in the bid documents was 3 billion pounds (then US$6.1 billion; euro4.1 billion).

"In the light of growing uncertainties, the department should keep an eagle eye on potential demands on the 1 billion pounds of contingency funds which have not yet been earmarked," Leigh said.

The PAC also questioned the medal expectations set by the British Olympic Association for 2012, with a fourth-placed finish expected after finishing 10th in Athens four years ago.

The government is "not yet off the starting blocks" in its drive to raise 100 million pounds (US$200 million; euro127 million) from the private sector to boost Britain's medal hopes, the committee found.

"If the sum eventually raised is too little or too late, then that might harm our teams' medal prospects," Leigh said. "There must be a Plan B for protecting the funds of the sports most likely to win medals in 2012."

Leigh believes the cash injection is unlikely to increase participation in sports.

"The focus on winning medals could distract the department's attention from encouraging ordinary people to participate," he said. "There is no clear evidence that elite sporting achievement influences people to take up sport in the long term, and Olympic medallists in certain sports such as rowing and equestrianism do not represent the makeup of the wider population, with a disproportionate number coming from privileged backgrounds."

The opposition Liberal Democrats said the inability to attract private investors is "extremely disappointing."

"Repeated warnings have not been heeded, potentially jeopardizing the entire Games," said Lib Dem legislator Don Foster, the party's spokesman on sports matters.

The government said it is pleased with how the huge project is advancing.

"We have made progress in developing a range of proposals to raise the 100 million pounds private sector funding for elite sport with Fast Track as our official fundraising partner," the sports department said. "We are in discussions with a number of interested parties about a national sponsorship scheme to help our athletes prepare for London 2012."
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #568
DarJoLe

Well what are you trying to say by that? Whoever won in 2005 would be being affected by this credit crunch.
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #569
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
DarJoLe, can you post the pictures of the park from above to show this guy what scale we're talking about?

London's Games, even with a few cut-backs is still massive; the biggest contruction project in Europe creating the biggest new urban park in the continent for over a century. If you can't appreaciate that then that's your problem.

There have been bumps but London is doing very well overall.
How about show a pic of that "fantasy" image use for the hosting city bid so we all can have a laugh.
btw. I didn't say it is not massive, it just far cry from what the LOCOG promised...it is like they promise you a suite to get you book the hotel, now they only give you a normal room, it still nice but I still want my suite.
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #570
UK Resident

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Well its a statement I made before and after the visit by IOC big-wig Denis Oswald. Simply because Beijing is building more new venues doesn't mean the level of planning and early preparation by London is somehow less important or less detailed. Lets not even get started on transparency..
I never said that the greater amount of planning and preparation for Beijing, somehow lessens the importance of the London effort.

Quote:
Beijing had to start from scratch in some areas but Beijing also bid with a technically feasible and strong plan based on the use of existing and future infrastructure. Its airport was deemed capable to handle capacity without a new terminal and if I remember correctly the IOC technical group did not use the word "obsolete" to describe its transport system as it did with London's bid.

Many still remain very very confused between what is required and the amibitious proposals by Beijing during its bid and after it won the bid...
I agree with you that Beijing's original bid was less ambitions than what it is today. But we are not comparing the amount of preparation between the original bids!

Quote:
London's planning and preparation and fairly transparent approach to dealing with challenges remains unprecedented in Olympic history even when compared to the likes of Sydney. The involvement of professionals and firms from the UK and abroad has resulted in an extensive knowledge base that has carefully been used to produce the cm by cm detail we see on the planning website....
All the above applies to all the previous Games. I think even more so with Beijing. This is a truly international collaboration.

Quote:
Building more or designing more doesn't imply any of the above.
On a scale such as Beijing, I find your statement extremely difficult to justify.

I go back to your original comment where you stated that the amount of preparation and planning exceeded Beijing. Do you still think this is true?, taking into account an upgraded underground system, a new airport terminal (the largest building in the world! Completed in just 4 years in time for the Games), new and improved road systems throughout the city and an unprecedented amount of new olympic venues.

To say that London's preparation exceeds this doesn't ring true.
I'm not criticising the London effort, but your original statement is wrong. That's all!
UK Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #571
DarJoLe

Quote:
btw. I didn't say it is not massive, it just far cry from what the LOCOG promised...
Hardly.

All Olympics change from their bid renders to their final renders. It's called bidding, and then having to deal with seven years of realities.
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #572
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Well what are you trying to say by that? Whoever won in 2005 would be being affected by this credit crunch.
I didn't say it! It is by AP "today"
I just think LOCOG use this financial market down time as excuse just a whole new level of bull shit. If you know market and budget research a little, you know it is already counted in the budget, otherwise they did a very shitty work on the budget projection from the beginning...which still LOCOG's failure.
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #573
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Wow you really do have a chip on your shoulder.Reading your comments over the last few pages all you do is attack.Dude are you bitter that the USA actually didn't get it.You really should move on dude.
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #574
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Suppose you think this is crap to eh(i bet you have no idea what it is)

Pic courtesy of Squish in the london forum
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #575
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Hardly.

All Olympics change from their bid renders to their final renders. It's called bidding, and then having to deal with seven years of realities.
Give up. Many will remain confused for years between a promise to deliver an 80, 000 seat athletics venue thats meets all IAAF requirements and a concept design during the bid,
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #576
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Resident View Post
I never said that the greater amount of planning and preparation for Beijing, somehow lessens the importance of the London effort.

I agree with you that Beijing's original bid was less ambitions than what it is today. But we are not comparing the amount of preparation between the original bids!

All the above applies to all the previous Games. I think even more so with Beijing. This is a truly international collaboration.

On a scale such as Beijing, I find your statement extremely difficult to justify.

I go back to your original comment where you stated that the amount of preparation and planning exceeded Beijing. Do you still think this is true?, taking into account an upgraded underground system, a new airport terminal (the largest building in the world! Completed in just 4 years in time for the Games), new and improved road systems throughout the city and an unprecedented amount of new olympic venues.

To say that London's preparation exceeds this doesn't ring true.
I'm not criticising the London effort, but your original statement is wrong. That's all!
Yes I stand by my statement that the amount of planning and attention to detail this early on is unprecedented. (apart from being extremely more transparent)

@Sexas, you're out of your league and depth here. Stop while you're still getting responses. Sydney, Beijing etc etc all bid with concept designs.

Mo Rush Apr 17 2008: " the early preparation and attention to detail surpasses any previous hosting by miles even beijing."

Denis Oswald 22 May 2008: "This level of detail in the presentations four years before the Games is unprecedented and we have full confidence that we will have an excellent Games,"
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #577
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

wow mo rush...ur a psychic
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #578
RobH

Quote:
How about show a pic of that "fantasy" image use for the hosting city bid so we all can have a laugh.
Can someone please post the renders Sydney and Beijing showed to the IOC back when they bid? Because they looked nothing like the final venues either. I don't think Sexas gets this whole Olympic bidding process to be quite honest.

Quote:
I just think LOCOG use this financial market down time as excuse just a whole new level of bull shit
The fact that all analysts are saying otherwise suggests you're on your own in believing that!! The question is why: are you a genius who knows better than the experts? Or, as is more likely, are you someone who is trying hopelessly to justify his points; points which have already been shot down by Mo, Marrio and DarJoLe (posters who know and understand the London 2012 project like the back of their hand).

Last edited by RobH; July 24th, 2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #579
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

[IMG]http://i28.************/vpduf8.jpg[/IMG]

LONDON 2012 WEB SITE HAS CHANGED!

www.london2012.com

jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #580
RobH

I still don't like it. Far too bloggy, the page widths and styles are all over the place, and it looks messy and inconsistent. Still, if there has to be one thing bad about the games at this stage, I think I'd prefer it to be "virtual", hehe!!

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics