daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #581
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

Some dude tell me to bring proof, which I did! Now you say I have a chip on my shoulder?? funny!
I just tell you what I see from outside London. You guys been defensive for London is good, but just don't be senselessly defansive.

btw, that London Bridge Tower picture look really nice, but I won't know it is a crap or not till they really really building it. But as just like what the news say, base on the real estate market right now...I think they will delay the project.

bbtw: the new website still lack of correlation between sections, yes it DO look like a blog.

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #582
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Yes I stand by my statement that the amount of planning and attention to detail this early on is unprecedented. (apart from being extremely more transparent)

@Sexas, you're out of your league and depth here. Stop while you're still getting responses. Sydney, Beijing etc etc all bid with concept designs.

Mo Rush Apr 17 2008: " the early preparation and attention to detail surpasses any previous hosting by miles even beijing."

Denis Oswald 22 May 2008: "This level of detail in the presentations four years before the Games is unprecedented and we have full confidence that we will have an excellent Games,"

As a real estate agent and researcher here in Texas, I don't think it is "out of my league and depth" I think I may ask fees for your enlightenment

I am happy "somebody" listen to Denis Oswald's bull shit.
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #583
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

Welcome to the thread Sexas arrived from beijing thread

Remember that the London games is different again from the previous games
We don’t need grand statements and we have hosted the games before.
The stadium and other facilities are in keeping with what London needs
Also there will be some eccentric ideas because that’s part of the British
identity, and in all previous host cities there will be changes as things move
along...
London is possibly the first of the more compact games.

If you read the IOC website London got a 9 out of 10
on the last visit.

Last edited by jerseyboi; July 24th, 2008 at 10:54 PM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #584
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Some dude tell me to bring proof, which I did! Now you say I have a chip on my shoulder?? funny!
I just tell you what I see from outside London. You guys been defensive for London is good, but just don't be senselessly defansive.
It's not about being defensive, it's about being right.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #585
tuten

Likes (Received): 1369

Sexas, you proved nothing with that article.
All it proves is that were going through a credit crunch, which means London cant spend too much on the Olympics, projects throughout the world are being cancelled because of this.

Again, where is the proof that there is no progress, massive cutbacks?

Or maybe you should just go away and research these things before trying to argue about them.

Citius, Altius, Fortius.
tuten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #586
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuten View Post
Sexas, you proved nothing with that article.
All it proves is that were going through a credit crunch, which means London cant spend too much on the Olympics, projects throughout the world are being cancelled because of this.

Again, where is the proof that there is no progress, massive cutbacks?

Or maybe you should just go away and research these things before trying to argue about them.
What'd hell you talking about Mr. dumby ???

Please DO NOT put word in my mouth, try go find the word "no progress" "massive cutbacks" from my post.

I say LOCOG "bad logo, bad design, bad time table, think too much, try too much but showing too little." and "Big planning, think too much, try too much but none come out look like the original blueprint, everything got cut back or scale down" and I believe the article proof on my point.
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #587
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
As a real estate agent and researcher here in Texas, I don't think it is "out of my league and depth" I think I may ask fees for your enlightenment

I am happy "somebody" listen to Denis Oswald's bull shit.
You certainly don't sound like a professional at all with your ramblings.
Your constant "post fantasy designs" obsession is just one of those, and shows a clear lack of understanding of bidding procedures.

@Rob: don't bother.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #588
tuten

Quote:
What'd hell you talking about Mr. dumby ???

Please DO NOT put word in my mouth, try go find the word "no progress" "massive cutbacks" from my post.

I say LOCOG "bad logo, bad design, bad time table, think too much, try too much but showing too little." and "Big planning, think too much, try too much but none come out look like the original blueprint, everything got cut back or scale down" and I believe the article proof on my point.
Err...

And no, it didn't.

If you have some sort of problem with the London Olympic scheme, then please don't post your ridiculous claims in a thread that is meant for positive discussion and updates.

Citius, Altius, Fortius.
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #589
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Err...

And no, it didn't.

If you have some sort of problem with the London Olympic scheme, then please don't post your ridiculous claims in a thread that is meant for positive discussion and updates.
Start at what time SkyscraperCtiy become worst than USSR!! It is a "FORUM" I can say whatever I want as long as it is related to the title subject and it is true. Base on Merriam-Webster, definition of Forum is:

1) a public meeting place for open discussion
2) a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas
3) a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion

Now Mr. Tuten Please tell me where you find the idea, a forum only can express positive idea
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #590
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
You certainly don't sound like a professional at all with your ramblings.
Your constant "post fantasy designs" obsession is just one of those, and shows a clear lack of understanding of bidding procedures.

@Rob: don't bother.
The true is: I totally understand your point of view, but I just want you guys to see others, and you know too well I am not the only one think this way... Can you say LOCOG do it's best? If not, why you guys still keep glorify them? Instead kissing LOCOG's behind, SPEAK UP! tell LOCOG what you want! It is your right and your game! and this is a major internet forum for them to read. If nobody say anything to the LOCOG, it will just like the Atlanta 1996 all over again....OMG I sure you don't want to see that happen again.

Last edited by Sexas; July 25th, 2008 at 06:55 PM.
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #591
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
The true is: I totally understand your point of view, but I just want you guys to see others, and you know too well I am not the only one think this way... Can you say LOCOG do it's best? If not, why you guys still keep glorify them? Instead kissing LOCOG's behind, SPEAK UP! tell LOCOG what you want! It is your right and your game! and this is a major internet forum for them to read. If nobody say anything to the LOCOG, it will just like the Atlanta 1996 all over again....OMG I sure you don't want to see that happen again.
It is not their "point of view" - but rather a reality. The Olympic bidding process DICTATES that candidate cities put forward a plan and outline of what will be implemented to execute the event.

Once the bid is awarded, the IOC and the respective COG will work togeather to make the Games a reality.

After incidents like Montreal, where the event has been overbuilt and left the city in debt, the IOC and COG have a responsbility to ensure the Games have a legacy.

If you actually look at your own (Chicago) bid fro 2016-- you will see their bid is heavily based on London's sustainable/compact Olympic plan. If Chicago wins 2016 it will be more of a London affair than a Beijing style Games (it's a once in 20 year event that a host like Beijing, with seemingly unlimited funds, comes along).
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #592
tuten

@ Sexas

I never said that you couldn't post anywhere on the forum, just not here. If you read the title it says 'Olympics Park Development News' not ' Olympics Park Development News where you find fault with every minor detail and blow it out of proportion with ridiculous claims'

If you want, make that thread somewhere else, but don't ruin this thread with your trash.

Citius, Altius, Fortius.
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #593
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
@ Sexas

I never said that you couldn't post anywhere on the forum, just not here. If you read the title it says 'Olympics Park Development News' not ' Olympics Park Development News where you find fault with every minor detail and blow it out of proportion with ridiculous claims'

If you want, make that thread somewhere else, but don't ruin this thread with your trash.

To Tuten

Maybe you just want to close your eyes and the only thing you want to believe is: our world is peaceful, our government is helping citizen, KKK love black people and Monkey Bush is a hero...

Please don't just take what the LOCOG feed you, open up your eyes.

This is what I write over at the Beijing Olympic side, I know you won't agree with me. but that's what I think and maybe you can see my point of view someday:

LOCOG's papaganding to hide it's incompetence, try to tell the Brit to believe the ONLY WAY to have an environmental friendly Olympics is to "not build anything we don't need after the game!" ...so, big building can't be enviromentaly friendly? and London won't grow for the next 20 years? Is it more "enviromentaly friendly" to build something and tear it down? Is it the point why city want host Olympic? To promote elite sport to it's hosting city??? If London don't need anymore "extra" sport stadium for the next 20 years and no need to promote any more sport to the youth. WHY HOST THE GAME!!
Last time I check - the kids at the London Eastside don't even know what is in the modern track and field!!

To: Alphaville

**After incidents like Montreal, where the event has been overbuilt and left the city in debt, the IOC and COG have a responsbility to ensure the Games have a legacy. **
Olympic did left a legacy for Montreal, and Montrealian still very proud about they're Olympic legacy. YES! it is pricey but it is management problem. like finding more sponsor, build-and-transfer is a good way to keep the balance sheet green. Stadium may not max out it's capacity right after the game, but it don't stand for it won't. Montreal Stadium still all in use and people still love the stadium, Atlanta stadium is open up for local high school and MLB game. It is all about management, it is not by building smaller building...are you go to tell me for the whole London, they can't handle another stadium for the next 20 years? What is the difference building a 20,000 seat stadium not in use and a 90,000 seat stadium not in use? It is all about finding show, sport and event to fill it up after the game...Yes! it is easier to fill a 20,000 seat stadium than a 90,000 seat one...but it is LONDON with 7.3M population!

Last edited by Sexas; July 26th, 2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #594
tuten

Look mate, you clearly know very little about the whole point of the Olympics, especially concerning the legacy that the Olympics will bring to London. You seem to have some strange grudge against the whole thing, so there's really no other choice but to ignore you from now on.

Citius, Altius, Fortius.
Old July 26th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #595
Alphaville

Quote:
To Tuten

Maybe you just want to close your eyes and the only thing you want to believe is: our world is peaceful, our government is helping citizen, KKK love black people and Monkey Bush is a hero...

Please don't just take what the LOCOG feed you, open up your eyes.

This is what I write over at the Beijing Olympic side, I know you won't agree with me. but that's what I think and maybe you can see my point of view someday:

LOCOG's papaganding to hide it's incompetence, try to tell the Brit to believe the ONLY WAY to have an environmental friendly Olympics is to "not build anything we don't need after the game!" ...so, big building can't be enviromentaly friendly? and London won't grow for the next 20 years? Is it more "enviromentaly friendly" to build something and tear it down? Is it the point why city want host Olympic? To promote elite sport to it's hosting city??? If London don't need anymore "extra" sport stadium for the next 20 years and no need to promote any more sport to the youth. WHY HOST THE GAME!!
Last time I check - the kids at the London Eastside don't even know what is in the modern track and field!!

To: Alphaville

**After incidents like Montreal, where the event has been overbuilt and left the city in debt, the IOC and COG have a responsbility to ensure the Games have a legacy. **
Olympic did left a legacy for Montreal, and Montrealian still very proud about they're Olympic legacy. YES! it is pricey but it is management problem. like finding more sponsor, build-and-transfer is a good way to keep the balance sheet green. Stadium may not max out it's capacity right after the game, but it don't stand for it won't. Montreal Stadium still all in use and people still love the stadium, Atlanta stadium is open up for local high school and NFL game. It is all about management, it is not by building smaller building...are you go to tell me for the whole London, they can't handle another stadium for the next 20 years? What is the difference building a 20,000 seat stadium not in use and a 90,000 seat stadium not in use? It is all about finding show, sport and event to fill it up after the game...Yes! it is easier to fill a 20,000 seat stadium than a 90,000 seat one...but it is LONDON with 7.3M population!
1- Montreal's Olympic Stadium does not find regular use. Only afew years ago there was discussion surrounding its demolition.

2- Atlanta's Olympic Stadium is not different to London's. If you actually knew anything you would know OVER HALF of the Atlanta Olympic Stadium was demolished to put it into baseball mode to become Turner Field. It's capacity also decreased.

3- Why should London keep the capacity so high when it already has DOZENS of other stadiums of a huge size. (Wembley, Emirates, etc..)
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #596
metroranger

Likes (Received): 1727

Waterways Masterplan.

The Waterways Masterplan for the olympic park can be found here on the ODA Planning public access site. (Just click on the Associated documents tab to view the PDFs).

Here are some snippets.

[IMG]http://i37.************/6zsv88.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.************/317i55g.jpg[/IMG]

3.4 The Bow Back Rivers:

[IMG]http://i38.************/dxbuxf.jpg[/IMG]

Old River Lea and City Mill River
CHARACTER
Pre-Games Context
The Old River Lea and City Mill River, collectively known as the Bow Back
Rivers, reflect the historical industrial character of the Olympic waterways.
They have suffered from years of neglect and several sections of these waterways are in very poor condition.
The Old River Lea and City Mill River are 550m and 775m respectively and are both approximately 20m wide.
The Old River Lea is formed by one vertical bank and one naturalised bank with marginal planting that provides a degree of ecological connectivity with the River Lea to the north. The City Mill River is formed by two vertical banks. Due to the decommissioned status of Carpenters Road Lock there is no water-borne connectivity between the Bow Back Rivers and the River Lea.

[IMG]http://i35.************/idynth.jpg[/IMG]

Post Games Context
The Bow Back rivers, along with the Olympic Stadium, will be a hub for activities within the parklands. This could be the major destination within the park for food, music, dance, culture, the arts and many other kinds of recreation. It could celebrate the diversity of existing and new communities, becoming a 21st Century version of Vauxhall and Tivoli Gardens. The Stadium island is formed by dramatic slopes rising up from the Old River Lea and City Mill River. The Olympic Stadium sits on top of these slopes, and will be a central focus for the southern parklands during the Games. In its reduced size, in Legacy it will be much less of a focus.

[IMG]http://i38.************/x53x1j.jpg[/IMG]

3.2 River Lea and Channelsea River

[IMG]http://i35.************/10ydwr9.jpg[/IMG]

CHARACTER
Existing context

[IMG]http://i33.************/ak96jl.jpg[/IMG]

In the northern half of the site the River Lea provides a calm alternative to the other waterways within the Park. The channel is wreathed in naturalised vegetation. Its steep, unstable banks, however, are formed from centuries of dumping industrial and domestic waste, as well as Blitz rubble and are therefore contaminated, inaccessible and provide poor habitat for flora and fauna. The River Lea is currently tidal but this will change as the British Waterways impoundment structures at Prescott Lock and Three Mills WallRiver become operational in Autumn 2008. The tidal influence and the low headroom at the North London Line railway bridge mean that there is very little boat use along this stretch of river. A further impact of the tidal influence is the poor water quality of this waterway. This is due in part to the discharges from Abbey Mills Sewage Treatment Works that are flushed upstream to the River Lea after heavy rainfall events. An important function of the River Lea is its role as a flood route providing conveyance for fluvial flows. The river is approximately 1000m in length from the A12 to Carpenters Road Lock, with a typical width of 50m.

[IMG]http://i38.************/2mrfwis.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i33.************/2qsuxbt.jpg[/IMG]

The Channelsea River is a quiet, steep-sided water course that has suffered for years from the influence of industry and tipping. Vegetation is dominated by invasive plants, much of which has been removed, and the waterways provides little in the way of valuable habitat. It discharges limited surface water flows to the River Lea.

[IMG]http://i37.************/14t0u4j.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i38.************/jh8x06.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i36.************/au6ofm.jpg[/IMG]

Post-Games context
In Legacy the River Lea, Channelsea River and Bully Point will have been transformed into a place of leisure, recreation and education with diverse habitats for wildlife. It will be in contrast to the more urban and active waterways to the south of the park.
The Wetland Bowl will form the central, focal point of the northern half of the park, providing a balance of ecological habitat, landscape valley and flood storage.
The impoundment of the River Lea will improve water quality in the medium to long term and eventually increase opportunities for boat use north of Carpenters Road. Headroom constraints due to the North London Line bridge will prevent access for heavy, commercial freight along this waterway.
Channelsea River valley will be planted with woodland trees to create a dense canopy and a sense of enclosure. The enlarged Bully Point wetlands area will be planted with reeds, sedges and grasses to provide rich new habitats for wildlife as well as an interesting experience for visitors. The wetlands will perform the function of providing protection against flooding and cleansing water. It is envisaged that there will also be productive landscapes on the plateaus including continuity gardens.
The riverside pathways on both the River Lea and Channelsea will be self bound gravel. The abutments of the bridges which cross the valleys will be formed using stone filled baskets which will integrate into the landscaped slopes.
metroranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #597
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
1- Montreal's Olympic Stadium does not find regular use. Only afew years ago there was discussion surrounding its demolition.

2- Atlanta's Olympic Stadium is not different to London's. If you actually knew anything you would know OVER HALF of the Atlanta Olympic Stadium was demolished to put it into baseball mode to become Turner Field. It's capacity also decreased.

3- Why should London keep the capacity so high when it already has DOZENS of other stadiums of a huge size. (Wembley, Emirates, etc..)
I am sorry, make a mistake. Yes the Atlanta one turn to MLB not NFL. but AGAIN it is all about management not the size of the stadium.
Sydney is good example, building all the stadiums but still keep the balance green. Go check them out http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/ and see how well they managing the stadium and the Olympic park after the game.

Last edited by Sexas; July 26th, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #598
Alphaville

Quote:
I am sorry, make a mistake. Yes the Atlanta one turn to MLB not NFL. but AGAIN it is all about management not the size of the stadium.
Sydney is good example, building all the stadiums but still keep the balance green. Go check them out http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/ and see how well they managing the stadium and the Olympic park after the game.
I am Australian-- I am fully aware of how Sydney Olympic Park is being managed. But again-- you fail to realise that ANZ Stadium (formerly Stadium Australia for the Olympics) was downsized after the 2000 Olympics (huge parts of the stadium were only tempoary).

You go on and on about "management"-- what do you even mean? London IS managing itself by setting realistic goals.

You are sorely ill-informed, my friend.
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #599
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

metroranger! great plans! thanks for posting all of them,there great

[IMG]http://i38.************/x53x1j.jpg[/IMG]
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #600
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6360

Sexas, you are ill informed of what the point of the London games is. There is nothing wrong or against IOC rules stating that an Olympic stadium has to stay at 80,000 capacity after the Games are over. London already has a national stadium at Wembley, and doesn't require another, no matter how far London grows in the next fifty years. What is does need, however, is a new athletics stadium which is in dire need in the capital.

The second point is that the borough that the Olympic stadium is in, Newham, is one of the poorest in the country, let alone London. This is one of the reasons why the idea of siting the Olympic Park and stadium in this area over staging the games at Wembley were so positively received. In light of this, Newham council is unwilling to fund the upkeep of an 80,000 seater stadium, filled to capacity only a handful of times a year. However, downsizing to a 25,000 seater stadium means they are able to maintain the smaller stadium to a higher standard rather than bankrupting themselves with an 80,000.

Lastly the Olympic Park is designed in such a way that throughout there will 'temporary' parts that will be built and removed after the Games are over. These temporary parts - additional bridges, wider paths, extra seating, are so the Park can carry the 100,000+ spectators around the Park to their venues quickly and safely without overcrowding. Once the Games are over, these temporary parts will be removed and replaced with foliage, more grass or in the case of the bridges removed, so the 'grand scale' of concrete is reduced and the park becomes more of a natural landscape more in keeping with the local urban area. In turn, this means the Park won't be able to cope with having an 80,000 seater stadium in it, because the capacity won't be there to get that amount of people safely from the station to the stadium.

Thirdly the idea that London simply needs to organise more events to fill an 80,000 stadium is simply ridiculous. Why should it in the first place? It won't be hosting another Olympics any time within our generation, and no football teams wish to relocate to the Olympic stadium precisely because it is too large for them. Athletics never sees 80,000 spectators apart from the Olympics, so why according to you should London keep its stadium in Olympic mode forever, when there will be thousands of empty seats, turning most of it into a white elephant for its lifetime?
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics