daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #601
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6361

The Waterways masterplan that metroranger posted looks fantastic. This is the part of the project that excites me, probably more than the venues and park itself, because this is what this 'legacy' means for future generations; creating a new natural landscape in the heart of London's urban landscape.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #602
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

Finally somebody give me some logical reply hallelujah!

Just a question: Since Newham is the poorest part of London, why can London annex Newham and make it part of London? but I still think 7.3M in London can't handle another stadium...it just not really logical (call Elton John or Madonna do a few shows and you guys will full up the stadium easy.) The new Munich Stadium is around 60K, why can't any football clud take it over after the game and keep it 80K.
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #603
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Just a question: Since Newham is the poorest part of London, why can London annex Newham and make it part of London?
Eh? It is part of London.

Quote:
but I still think 7.3M in London can't handle another stadium...it just not really logical (call Elton John or Madonna do a few shows and you guys will full up the stadium easy.)
But the stadium isn't a music venue. There is the o2 arena only three stops away in North Greenwich, which is a dedicated music arena with a capacity of 20,000. Wembley also hosts concerts, but these still do not reach 80,000 and certainly aren't the main source of income for the stadium.

Secondly as I described in my previous post, the walkways to the stadium from the station are being downsized after the Games, and simply wouldn't cope with 80,000 spectators trundling over them, nor would Stratford station (during the Olympics there will be a detailed transport plan in operation with the Olympic Javelin and trains to Stratford arriving every 15 seconds).

Quote:
The new Munich Stadium is around 60K, why can't any football clud take it over after the game and keep it 80K.
Most of the local football clubs around Newham aren't anywhere near the top league to gain that many spectators. There was talk of Leyton Orient or West Ham taking over the stadium, but they weren't happy with having a running track between the pitch and the spectators. Part of the promise in the bid in Singapore of awarding the Games to London, and part of Seb Coe's mission, is to keep this stadium for athletics, something that is in dire need of improvement in London.

By reducing the stadium by two thirds for is legacy use, it stands more chance of a) making a profit, by being filled to capacity more often for athletic events, and b) small enough to be maintained to a high standard by an impoverished local council who have more important things to spend money on, like keeping the rest of the Park free of weeds...

Last edited by DarJoLe; July 26th, 2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old July 26th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #604
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

Lord Coe interview:

For the 250,000 athletes, coaches, officials and sponsors descending on China in the next fortnight, the start of the Beijing Games marks the culmination of four years of preparation and expectation. For a 110-strong delegation from the UK, however, the lighting of the Beijing flame is just the start. Four years tomorrow, the London Olympics will begin in a stadium that is not yet built at the heart of a park that is currently little more than 270 acres of earthworks and a host of good intentions.

For the team delivering the London Games Beijing represents a crucial staging post on the road to 2012, a final opportunity to witness a summer Games in practice before they have to do it themselves.

It also marks the point at which the city takes responsibility for the Olympic flag and all the pressures and scrutiny that come with it, a moment that will be marked by an eight-minute performance at the closing ceremony and the physical transfer of the flag from the International Olympic Committee president, Jacques Rogge, to London's mayor, Boris Johnson.

In Beijing seven years of preparation are about to reach a climax that will help define China for decades to come. For London the build-up to their own moment of truth starts now and the next three weeks will be crucial in helping ensure the 2012 Games are a success.

The Beijing Games also mark the halfway point in Sebastian Coe's tenure as chairman of the London organising committee (Locog), and he will travel to China at the head of an 80-strong team of staff from Locog and the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) who will study operations in China first-hand as part of a knowledge-sharing "observer programme".

Joining the team will be another 30 government representatives including four ministers, their private secretaries and press officers, as well as representatives of the police, ambulance service and fire brigade, health authorities, the home office, the Ministry of Defence and the security services. Few areas of British public life will not be impacted by London 2012 and they will all be on hand to see what a Games looks like close up.

Coe will also be updating the assembled IOC membership on London's progress so far and reassuring anyone who asks that his Games will be ready. In political and practical terms Beijing matters for London and Coe is under no illusions that the real work of delivering the Games starts now.

"The first thing I want to take out of Beijing is the on-the-ground experience of witnessing a Games at close quarters, a chance that only happens once in the lifetime of a host city," he said this week.

"The IOC have been very complimentary about the planning we have done and the physical work on the park but the operational aspects of running a Games remain a very complex part of the project and our teams, be they involved with media, venues, operations or the athletes' village, need the experience of seeing the games at first hand."

As important as the practical realities will be the symbolic moment when London's Olympiad begins. Coe is looking forward to the moment the penny drops that London is next but is preparing for the unparalleled levels of scrutiny that will come with it, and the rest of the world that its London next.
( Summer Games )

"At the handover, domestically there will be a moment when the nation realises 'Oh God, it's us next', and I want that to happen. But perhaps the biggest change is not in the domestic day-to-day, but level of international scrutiny that is coming our way," explained Coe.

"After Beijing when the New York Times, the Melbourne Age or Frankfurt Allgemeine Zeitung want to write about the Olympics they will be writing about London and we will be their first port of call. It's not going to be Beijing, blogs and air conditioning, it's going to be us. The level of international interest will increase just as dramatically as the domestic scrutiny."

Coe is confident that the project is well-placed to shine in the spotlight that will swing its way at the end of August despite a turbulent year marked by continued domestic concern over the £9.3bn construction budget and a change of mayor in London.

The greatest concern surrounds the spiralling cost of the major venues - the projected cost of all of the "big five" venues has increased since November and there is every chance that it will rise again as the economic climate deteriorates - and difficult negotiations between the ODA and Lend Lease over the level of public subsidy for the Olympic village. Johnson's election has also disturbed the cosy consensus between the mayor's office and Olympics minister, Tessa Jowell, but with three of the four members of the Olympic board now having held the Tory whip at some stage in their career - the BOA chairman, Lord Moynihan, is the other - his rise has been less disruptive than it might have been.

More positively Coe can point to a mark of "9.75 out of 10" from the IOC for progress so far and an advanced commercial programme that has seen six tier-one sponsors already signed up for in excess of £325m, more than any other host city has ever had on board going into the preceding Olympics. Many of them have also activated community programmes intended to deliver on Coe's lofty promise during the bid that the Games will transform sport in the UK forever.

Coe's enthusiasm for the transformative effect of London 2012 is genuine and enduring and, while he acknowledges the "static" surrounding the funding issue, he says progress in the next year, which will see venues begin to rise from the mud in east London and the launch of the cultural Olympiad, will help bring the country together behind the project.

"As a nation I don't think we are anything other than slow burn, we don't make our minds up too quickly and, when we make our minds up, we stick to it," he said. "But I am happy with where we are in terms of public perception, although I don't kid myself that we haven't got a process of engagement that we will have to drive all the way through to 2012.

"But when I go around the country I'm not in what I call budget or logo mode. Instead I've got people showing me what they are doing on the ground. I went to a comprehensive school in inner-city Middlesbrough last week and I was chatting to kids who are fast approaching national standard in rowing only two years after first getting into a boat.

"They are rowing on a purpose-built lake by the [River] Tees barrage and my one frustration is that I am not able to let the whole nation see some of the astonishing things happening in its regional backyard as a result of getting these Games."
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #605
metroranger

Likes (Received): 1727

How about a game of cricket?

I'm going out on a limb here, but would it be feasible to host cricket matches in the Olympic Stadium? I've got no idea what size a first class pitch has to be or even if it's compatible with an athletics track
I was just wondering if the the Olympic Stadium could be a London home for Essex Cricket Club just like Lords for Middlesex and the Oval for Surrey. With the rise in popularity of 20:20 matches and the great communications of Stratford it would be a great way of getting more bums on seats for Essex instead of traveling all the way to Chelmsford and provide continuing revenue for the stadium.
metroranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #606
jerseyboi
BANNED

from Sexas: beijing thread:

That news is a whole bunch of bull shit, let me take few pictures of London Eastside and call it "London back the dark age again"

"empty beer cans, food wrappers and other rubbish" <--- it just drity!!

"Nothing else moved, except rubbish in the wind.

A 20,000-seat tennis stadium lies empty. So does the cycling stadium. And the Olympic diving area. And the hockey facilities. The list goes on" <---do it need to fill up full everyday to proof it is useable??

Another LOCOG's papaganda to hide it's incompetence, try to tell the Brit to believe the ONLY WAY to have an environmental friendly Olympics is to "not build anything we don't need after the game!" ...so, big building can't be enviromentaly friendly? and London won't grow for the next 20 years? Is it more "enviromentaly friendly" to build something and tear it down? Is it the point why city want host Olympic? To promote elite sport to it's hosting city??? If London don't need anymore "extra" sport stadium for the next 20 years and no need to promote any more sport to the youth. WHY HOST THE GAME!!

Last time I check - the kids at the London Eastside don't even know what is in the modern track and field!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

gosh sexas you are rather negative!?? however you are intitled to your view
just like the article from the mail! I thinks stadium is designed to reduce in size!
as we dont need a large stadium and the up keep thanks! after 2012.

Last edited by jerseyboi; July 27th, 2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #607
jerseyboi
BANNED

[IMG]http://i28.************/vpduf8.jpg[/IMG] 2012 Celebrations in the UK major cities:.

LIVERPOOL will get into the Olympic spirit with a massive outdoor summer party.

The Clayton Square big screen, in the city centre, will be the focal point for the “Handover” celebrations which will see the country start the final run-up to the 2012 Games.

The event will be held on August 24, when the Beijing Olympics comes to a close.

As-yet-unnamed sporting heroes will be on the guest list to share their Olympic hopes and experiences with the public.

There will also be a mass 15-minute sing-a-long, led by a Liverpool-based choir, of three songs.

One will be a simple choice to get everyone warmed up, the second will be a song with Liverpool connotations and a national song, being arranged by National Youth Choirs.

The song for Liverpool has yet to be picked, although organisers have suggested songs like I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside for Blackpool and Delilah for Swansea.

On the big screen, passers-by will be able to watch the Beijing Games closing ceremony, where London mayor Boris Johnson will be handed the Olympic flag, marking the start of London’s tenure as summer host city for 2012.

Liverpool is one of 30 towns and cities across the country chosen to take part in the nationwide party.

Sebastian Coe, chairman of London 2012, said: “On the afternoon of August 24, the Olympic flag will pass from the mayor of Beijing to the mayor of London in the Olympic stadium in Beijing.

“Just as the nation celebrated London winning the bid, we invite the nation to celebrate the start of our four-year journey to 2012.”

Last edited by jerseyboi; July 27th, 2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #608
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
**Newham council is unwilling to fund the upkeep of an 80,000 seater stadium**

Eh? It is part of London.
My question is... It is part of London, build by LOCOG but maintain by the poor city of Newham after the game, but still benefiting London?? sound not logical for me.

Quote:
But the stadium isn't a music venue. There is the o2 arena only three stops away in North Greenwich, which is a dedicated music arena with a capacity of 20,000. Wembley also hosts concerts, but these still do not reach 80,000 and certainly aren't the main source of income for the stadium.
My question is why not? It is LOCOG's job to get more game, show and event to London after the Olympics game. If they already have problem fill up the Wembley and Crystal Palace, maybe the problem is at the city of London, they need work harder to bring more new show and promate better sport to London, not by just build small stadium. In American most big University stadium capacity is well over 80K and they fill it up all the time. Why don't promote NFL in London? Why don't promote NLB? you see my point?

Quote:
Secondly as I described in my previous post, the walkways to the stadium from the station are being downsized after the Games, and simply wouldn't cope with 80,000 spectators trundling over them, nor would Stratford station (during the Olympics there will be a detailed transport plan in operation with the Olympic Javelin and trains to Stratford arriving every 15 seconds).
It is matter of LOCOG's plan. they don't need to and leave it as is.

Quote:
Most of the local football clubs around Newham aren't anywhere near the top league to gain that many spectators. There was talk of Leyton Orient or West Ham taking over the stadium, but they weren't happy with having a running track between the pitch and the spectators. Part of the promise in the bid in Singapore of awarding the Games to London, and part of Seb Coe's mission, is to keep this stadium for athletics, something that is in dire need of improvement in London.
LOCOG's management problem and design problem and something call retractable seating!! It can be a win-win deal but LOCOG **** it up.

Quote:
By reducing the stadium by two thirds for is legacy use, it stands more chance of a) making a profit, by being filled to capacity more often for athletic events, and b) small enough to be maintained to a high standard by an impoverished local council who have more important things to spend money on, like keeping the rest of the Park free of weeds...
LOCOG just set itself on a lower standard, it can be a new stadium for new sport - american football!! or use it for inter-city university football tournament, a new cricket field, a baseball field...

I didn't say it will fill up by tomorrow or right after the game, It is up to the government to promote better sport to Londoner and this new stadium will be a good place to do it. Government need to have a new vision, they can't just read numbers and dollar sign. Without try to promote a better sport and get them to the stadium. If they already believe in the next 20 years Londoner can't fill up a 80K stadium for a city of 7.3M...who will.

Last edited by Sexas; July 27th, 2008 at 07:24 PM.
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #609
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415 View Post
Suppose you think this is crap to eh(i bet you have no idea what it is)

Pic courtesy of Squish in the london forum
The far and beyond and the incredible 'The Shard'
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #610
RobH

Likes (Received): 10313

Quote:
My question is... It is part of London, build by LOCOG but maintain by the poor city of Newham after the game, but still benefiting London?? sound not logical for me.

My question is why not? It is LOCOG's job to get more game, show and event to London after the Olympics game. If they already have problem fill up the Wembley and Crystal Palace, maybe the problem is at the city of London, they need work harder to bring more new show and promate better sport to London, not by just build small stadium. In American most big University stadium capacity is well over 80K and they fill it up all the time. Why don't promote NFL in London? Why don't promote NLB? you see my point?

It is matter of LOCOG's plan. they don't need to and leave it as is.

LOCOG's management problem and design problem and something call retractable seating!! It can be a win-win deal but LOCOG **** it up.

LOCOG just set itself on a lower standard, it can be a new stadium for new sport - american football!! or use it for inter-city university football tournament, a new cricket field, a baseball field...

I didn't say it will fill up by tomorrow or right after the game, It is up to the government to promote better sport to Londoner and this new stadium will be a good place to do it. Government need to have a new vision, they can't just read numbers and dollar sign. Without try to promote a better sport and get them to the stadium. If they already believe in the next 20 years Londoner can't fill up a 80K stadium for a city of 7.3M...who will.
Why don't you write to LOCOG and the ODA if you're so concerned? I'm sure they'll answer your questions.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #611
tuten

Likes (Received): 1372

Sexas.

We. don't. need. a. new. large. stadium. after. 2012.

Is this clear now?

Citius, Altius, Fortius.
tuten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #612
london lad

Likes (Received): 2246

Boy you get some right jokers on the olmpic threads dont ya. lol

Lived in London for over 30 years & have no idea where this Eastside is? Im in need of enlightenment & where is this mystical Wembley stadium that has trouble selling out. Its it the same London that has a 90k Wembley, 82k Twickenham, 60k Emirates, 40+ Stanford Bridge, 30+ White heart Lane, 30k+ Upton Park, 20k+ O2, Wimbledon etc etc From what I gather your more likely to see tumbleweed than spectators at any of these venues.

Jeez theres hardly any sports arenas in London at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...nues_in_London

Theres been some very sensible comments here. Why not covert the Olympic stadium for an NFL team/franchise. The velodrome to a speedway track & we could have some Nascars, Ice over the Pool & we could have NHL franchise.

Hell we could even rename the East End.. Eastside
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #613
jerseyboi
BANNED

dont forget the O2 one of the best entertainment centres
in europe & further a field http://www.theo2.co.uk/

and the site of a 2012 sporting events!
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #614
DarJoLe

I don't know why I bother.
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #615
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Boy you get some right jokers on the olmpic threads dont ya. lol

Lived in London for over 30 years & have no idea where this Eastside is? Im in need of enlightenment & where is this mystical Wembley stadium that has trouble selling out. Its it the same London that has a 90k Wembley, 82k Twickenham, 60k Emirates, 40+ Stanford Bridge, 30+ White heart Lane, 30k+ Upton Park, 20k+ O2, Wimbledon etc etc From what I gather your more likely to see tumbleweed than spectators at any of these venues.

Jeez theres hardly any sports arenas in London at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...nues_in_London

Theres been some very sensible comments here. Why not covert the Olympic stadium for an NFL team/franchise. The velodrome to a speedway track & we could have some Nascars, Ice over the Pool & we could have NHL franchise.

Hell we could even rename the East End.. Eastside
My point is why not!! Is Londoner only play football and football only now? what so funny about NFL, NLB, NBA, Nascars and NHL? they making so much money there in the US, people love them and you guys keep watching it over the TV with no real game in UK. When NBA started here in US, people think it was a stupid idea too.

I say East side = East side of London as a whole, where the poor and rundown area located. I don't think East End is that bad, people in East End still know what'd hell is Yudo...LOL

Last edited by Sexas; July 28th, 2008 at 01:50 AM.
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #616
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Why don't you write to LOCOG and the ODA if you're so concerned? I'm sure they'll answer your questions.
and what do you guys doing here, just looking at pictures?
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #617
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 372

I'm not sure what is more incohereant, Sexas-- the inability you show in understanding the simple urban planning theory of sustainability-- or your inability to use the English language in the correct manner.
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #618
RobH

Likes (Received): 10313

Quote:
My point is why not!! Is Londoner only play football and football only now? what so funny about NFL, NLB, NBA, Nascars and NHL? they making so much money there in the US, people love them and you guys keep watching it over the TV with no real game in UK.
What about Chicago keeping their 2016 stadium as an 80,000 seat soccer stadium rather than reducing it to a 10,000 seat multi-use facility?

Last edited by RobH; July 28th, 2008 at 10:26 AM.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #619
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 372

Sexas--- what do we have here?

Exhibit A -- Atlanta 1996. The stadium pictured at the top (white roof) is Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, built in 1966 and demolished after the 1996 Olympics (it hosted the baseball events). Reason? The stadium bellow Atlanta Olympic Stadium, was downsized after the Olympics (temp. seating, sound familier?) and converted into a baseball stadium. WHY COULD NOT ATLANTA JUST HAVE TWO BIG BASEBALL STADIUMS??? DEY DIDN"T MANAGEMENT PROPER!!!!111??

before

after

Logically, the older stadium was demolished, and not-suprising for middle-America, was turned into a gigantic, garish parking lot, completel with markers of the original base ball stadium it was built upon! USA! USA!!

Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #620
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
I'm not sure what is more incohereant, Sexas-- the inability you show in understanding the simple urban planning theory of sustainability-- or your inability to use the English language in the correct manner.
Alphaville I am not use your own word to attack you, but just like what you say: this is what urban planning all about, a real ability to think what will be good for the city 20, 30, 50 or even 100 years down the road. It is a theory, it is unknown to everyone. why LOCOG's one is all good and others is all bad? Sustainability is stand for so many things, not to build something and tear it down also can be sustainabilty too, how about not to build it at all and just use the stadium London already got and just build a better subway!! If LOCOG can do that "now they start thinking!" Inability for you can't see a better picture other than LOCOG's one is a sad thing.

I think you guys attacking me sensenessly because you guys think I hate London 2012...LOL!

And Alphaville I won't address on the manner of my English again, please read back few pages for my post.

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics