daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 02:12 PM   #681
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2719

Does somebody have the latest pics (renderings9 of the Olympic park and Village?
Masterplan etc.

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM   #682
RobH

Likes (Received): 10338

I don't suppose a full rendering will be released until all the venue designs are finally finalised. I can't wait to see one though!

As for detailed planning documents, there are thousands at London 2012's planning site - planning.london2012.com - but it is very difficult to naviagte!!
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM   #683
StephenP
Mon the fish!

Likes (Received): 301

Weren't Chelsea F.C looking at possiblilties to use the Olympic Stadium after the Games?
StephenP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM   #684
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Alphaville I feel sad for you. Just like American isn't a big fan of football, but we try to make it work by having a Major League Soccer game. Do you think those investor will ever see any big profit for investing in MLS like the one in Europe? my feeling is "not in his/her life time"
But somebody need to do it and it take a whole lot of passion and vision. If everybody took your believe in thinking of "because it is how it is" and "It is Brit, we have our cultural! we don't need other country's shit." it will be a very sad world...cultural can always change for better. Did you ever play a game of baseball or basketball with your kid? Or show them how to play baseball and basketball, instead force them only watch football? I don't think giving our kid an option is a foreign cultural for the Brit.
Major league soccer? Major league soccer? Jesus christ. You are digging yourself an ever deeper hole. Now you choose to attack Britains indifference to your mighty 'star spangled' sports. I suggest you get over it. I do not like most American sports, neither do my friends, or their friends friends. Again I suggest you get over this fact.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:47 PM   #685
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenP View Post
Weren't Chelsea F.C looking at possiblilties to use the Olympic Stadium after the Games?
That's a new one for me. Spurs and West Ham were linked certainly (West Ham, at one stage, looked like a very strong possibiliy), but the athletics track put off both clubs. It's on the wrong side of London for Chelsea.

I'm not saying you're making this up, but it's not something I've ever heard. Where did you hear this Stephen?
Old August 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #686
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
That's a new one for me. Spurs and West Ham were linked certainly (West Ham, at one stage, looked like a very strong possibiliy), but the athletics track put off both clubs. It's on the wrong side of London for Chelsea.

I'm not saying you're making this up, but it's not something I've ever heard. Where did you hear this Stephen?
I heard that Chelsea were interested but the location wasn't suitable
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #687
tuten

Likes (Received): 1380

It makes one wonder, then, why they were interested?

Did they expect it to move?

Citius, Altius, Fortius.
tuten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #688
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Major league soccer? Major league soccer? Jesus christ. You are digging yourself an ever deeper hole. Now you choose to attack Britains indifference to your mighty 'star spangled' sports. I suggest you get over it. I do not like most American sports, neither do my friends, or their friends friends. Again I suggest you get over this fact.
can you reply in a logical way? have no idea what your reply stand for?

Why all the Londoner here LOVE the idea of getting a small 20K seat stadium, all jump the gun to think I am crazy, instead try to find ways to keep a bigger stadium is beyond me. I love London, I like London with all the big stadiums and big buildings and big parks in the world like Dubal. But I feel all the so call "Londoner" here, all been brainwashed by BBC and LOCOG...nobody can see the big picture.

...sad

Last edited by Sexas; August 4th, 2008 at 11:22 PM.
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #689
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenP View Post
It will be a good idea!! retractable seating will be install and they make it a 40K -60K (better yet 80K) stadium instead a 20K one...yea!!
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #690
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:

Why all the Londoner here LOVE the idea of getting a small 20K seat stadium, all jump the gun to think I am crazy, instead try to find ways to keep a bigger stadium is beyond me. I love London, I like London with all the big stadiums and big buildings and big parks in the world like Dubal. But I feel all the so call "Londoner" here, all been brainwashed by BBC and LOCOG...nobody can see the big picture.

...sad

We have big stadiums already. I don't think you're a bad person, you're probably cool, but please understand that London is doing what it needs to. Have you ever been? And yes I do reply with one liners too much You noticed this. I do it because I don't have much patience in posting at the moment.
Old August 5th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #691
RobH

Quote:
nobody can see the big picture.
I think you're looking at the wrong picture! Turn your head westwards, away from the current Olympic hosts who are using the Olympics to build their national stadium to the next hosts, who already have this:

If someone was to come along a year after the Bird's Nest in Beijing opened - in the summer of 2009 - and said, "you need another 80,000 seat stadium, you could play NFL in there", what would you think? Because that's precisely what you're saying London should do. I don't even know why I'm arguing this with you any more; it's fairly clear the people who know London and what it needs are right and you're plain wrong.
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #692
Sexas
Whole Other Country

edit

Last edited by Sexas; August 5th, 2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #693
dnp

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

Erm, with regards to (specifically to) Basketball most other countries around the world (esp. in Europe) are very big on it; except UK who suck massively at it and totally refuse to get involved in one of the biggest, most competitive sports in the world.
dnp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #694
Vanguard

Likes (Received): 208

Quote:

...sad

It's been explained to you about 100 times now, Sexas.

Vanguard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #695
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnp View Post
Erm, with regards to (specifically to) Basketball most other countries around the world (esp. in Europe) are very big on it; except UK who suck massively at it and totally refuse to get involved in one of the biggest, most competitive sports in the world.
The stupidity on this website is astounding at times. Interesting to note that it mostly comes from US forumers.
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #696
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

To be honest, with a better design (still temporary) there would have been less moans or calls for a permanent venue.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #697
foundation

Likes (Received): 12

To be honest, I can't understand how, even more than four years out, people are bashing 2012. It's not going to be a "mines is better that yours Olympics" with showpiece venues sitting empty after 2-3 weeks of action

Let's look at the facts...

Main stadium - whatever we think of the design - and I was slightly disappointed, the first time that an Olympic stadium will be down-coverted to a smaller athletics venue. I appreciate that Atlanta was down-converted, however that was to a differant use. After the games, we'll end up with a useable athletics venue in London

Wembley stadium - an iconic venue already built

Wimbledon - an iconic venue and the home of tennis - almost rebuilt - now with a retractable roof on Centre Court!

Lords - an iconic venue already built

The O2 - the most popular indoor venue in the world - already built

Horseguards parade - an iconic open space - already there

Aquatics centre - OK - the first time we will have "mines is better than yours venue" - hopefully!

And the regeneration of one of the most neglected parts of the city

Let's celebrate 2012, and leave the bashing to other threads
foundation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #698
Leesome

Likes (Received): 1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundation View Post
To be honest, I can't understand how, even more than four years out, people are bashing 2012. It's not going to be a "mines is better that yours Olympics" with showpiece venues sitting empty after 2-3 weeks of action

Let's look at the facts...

Main stadium - whatever we think of the design - and I was slightly disappointed, the first time that an Olympic stadium will be down-coverted to a smaller athletics venue. I appreciate that Atlanta was down-converted, however that was to a differant use. After the games, we'll end up with a useable athletics venue in London

Wembley stadium - an iconic venue already built

Wimbledon - an iconic venue and the home of tennis - almost rebuilt - now with a retractable roof on Centre Court!

Lords - an iconic venue already built

The O2 - the most popular indoor venue in the world - already built

Horseguards parade - an iconic open space - already there

Aquatics centre - OK - the first time we will have "mines is better than yours venue" - hopefully!

And the regeneration of one of the most neglected parts of the city

Let's celebrate 2012, and leave the bashing to other threads
Perfectly said! I for one can't wait for the 2012 olympics and London will no doubt put on a spectacular display! Will it be Beijing? Absolutely not, and who would want it to be? London is such a unique city and the olympics will reflect this. Just look at the logo, I doubt there's ever been such debate about an olympic logo before. Like all good art, all great events should be controversial to a certain degree - It shows daring and willingness to push the envelope. London - bring it on!

/rant
Leesome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #699
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

To be honest there would be much less fuss and moaning if they were able to come up with a better temporary design specifically the facade and roof.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #700
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
To be honest there would be much less fuss and moaning if they were able to come up with a better temporary design specifically the facade and roof.
I just want a SUPER good game...not to say the plan right now isn't good and clearly I see why people in London like the plan as is...but I want London's game better than Beijing and Sydney, with big building and big impact...not this recyclable shit, it make London look like have no money to build a fancy stadium and tear it down...I want London to show Dubai and Beijing "Bring it on! I can build shit and tear it down too!!"

Last edited by Sexas; August 6th, 2008 at 06:12 AM.

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics