daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #701
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,760
Likes (Received): 10293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
I just want a SUPER good game...not to say the plan right now isn't good and clearly I see why people in London like the plan as is...but I want London's game better than Beijing and Sydney, with big building and big impact...not this recyclable shit, it make London look like have no money to build a fancy stadium and tear it down...I want London to show Dubai and Beijing "Bring it on! I can build shit and tear it down too!!"
Well tough, you won't be seeing London competing with Beijing in a dick-size contest; we're already a world city and London will do what it needs; not what someone in Texas thinks it needs.

Beijing is using these Games as their entry onto the world stage. Money is no object whatsoever. You won't see another Games on the scale of Beijing's for a long, long, long time so I wouldn't hold your breath. If you don't like the way London, the city with by far the most ambitious plan of all the 2012 bidding cities, is going about this, then you're probably going to be dissapointed with most future hosts.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #702
Sexas
Whole Other Country
 
Sexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 735
Likes (Received): 2

tell me about it...but nowaday people like bigger dick than "what it need"... What's wrong with that? (j/k)

....don't kill me!!

Personally I hate the CNN and BBC keep saying China is using the game "to enter onto the world stage"...it isn't like China is not part of world stage already (think what happen today's world without China) .....but that is out of subject, I bring that to Beijing post.
__________________
Communication is Inevitable, Irreversible & Unrepeatable. Be Warn!

Last edited by Sexas; August 6th, 2008 at 11:54 AM.
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #703
Alphaville
Registered User
 
Alphaville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Melbourne & Sydney.
Posts: 4,492
Likes (Received): 372

Sexas cities like London (and US cities, too) are accountable to taxpayers, by elected governments. Unlike Beijing, these cities do not have an infinite amount of money to work with.

I think it's pretty safe to say the 2012 Olympics is not as important to the British Government as the 2008 Games are to the Chinese. They have nothing to prove.

I find it alarming that you think "putting up a big stadium and to tear it down" is a sustainable option. Seriously, how old are you?
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #704
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
I just want a SUPER good game...not to say the plan right now isn't good and clearly I see why people in London like the plan as is...but I want London's game better than Beijing and Sydney, with big building and big impact...not this recyclable shit, it make London look like have no money to build a fancy stadium and tear it down...I want London to show Dubai and Beijing "Bring it on! I can build shit and tear it down too!!"
again, the temporary concept is not the issue. With a better aesthetic design (without changing the stadium bowl arrangement or concept), there would have been less moaning.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #705
benedetton_alexandra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 214
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
Sexas cities like London (and US cities, too) are accountable to taxpayers, by elected governments. Unlike Beijing, these cities do not have an infinite amount of money to work with.

I think it's pretty safe to say the 2012 Olympics is not as important to the British Government as the 2008 Games are to the Chinese. They have nothing to prove.

I find it alarming that you think "putting up a big stadium and to tear it down" is a sustainable option. Seriously, how old are you?
its not about proving

we want to do everything to the greatest, not just olympics
benedetton_alexandra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #706
Sexas
Whole Other Country
 
Sexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 735
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
Sexas cities like London (and US cities, too) are accountable to taxpayers, by elected governments. Unlike Beijing, these cities do not have an infinite amount of money to work with.

I think it's pretty safe to say the 2012 Olympics is not as important to the British Government as the 2008 Games are to the Chinese. They have nothing to prove.

I find it alarming that you think "putting up a big stadium and to tear it down" is a sustainable option. Seriously, how old are you?

Did you see all the funny face?? the "tear it down part" was a joke!! I am tired about talking to Londoner who only looking at the dollar sign....none of them care about what happen after the game. So what! if London keep the stadium and losing money for 10-15 years...Is London really that poor can't keep a stadium for our kid to look at when they grow up...."wow! look at that huge stadium, it was the place for 2012 Olympics!!"

If you can't tell which one is statement and which one is a joke....ummm how old are you?
__________________
Communication is Inevitable, Irreversible & Unrepeatable. Be Warn!
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #707
london lad
Registered User
 
london lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: London
Posts: 10,328
Likes (Received): 2246

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundation View Post
To be honest, I can't understand how, even more than four years out, people are bashing 2012. It's not going to be a "mines is better that yours Olympics" with showpiece venues sitting empty after 2-3 weeks of action

Let's look at the facts...

Main stadium - whatever we think of the design - and I was slightly disappointed, the first time that an Olympic stadium will be down-coverted to a smaller athletics venue. I appreciate that Atlanta was down-converted, however that was to a differant use. After the games, we'll end up with a useable athletics venue in London

Wembley stadium - an iconic venue already built

Wimbledon - an iconic venue and the home of tennis - almost rebuilt - now with a retractable roof on Centre Court!

Lords - an iconic venue already built

The O2 - the most popular indoor venue in the world - already built

Horseguards parade - an iconic open space - already there

Aquatics centre - OK - the first time we will have "mines is better than yours venue" - hopefully!

And the regeneration of one of the most neglected parts of the city

Let's celebrate 2012, and leave the bashing to other threads
Dont forget the velodrome & the extended Excel as well
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #708
DarJoLe
Registered User
 
DarJoLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London
Posts: 19,830
Likes (Received): 6360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
. So what! if London keep the stadium and losing money for 10-15 years...Is London really that poor can't keep a stadium for our kid to look at when they grow up...."wow! look at that huge stadium, it was the place for 2012 Olympics!!"
Read up on the Millennium Dome and how it nearly brought down the Labour Government.

PS, you're an idiot.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #709
tuten
Registered User
 
tuten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London
Posts: 4,338
Likes (Received): 1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Did you see all the funny face?? the "tear it down part" was a joke!! I am tired about talking to Londoner who only looking at the dollar sign....none of them care about what happen after the game. So what! if London keep the stadium and losing money for 10-15 years...Is London really that poor can't keep a stadium for our kid to look at when they grow up...."wow! look at that huge stadium, it was the place for 2012 Olympics!!"

If you can't tell which one is statement and which one is a joke....ummm how old are you?
My goodness, you seem to have some inability to understand simple facts.

1.We already have a 'Huge' stadium for people to look at.

2. The stadium is being converted into an athletics arena after the games, which is what London needs.

3. No matter how rich a city is, it doesn't not want to be wasting money on a stadium no one is using, it would be far better spent on bringing people out of poverty, health care, education etc, don't you think?

4. We DO care about what happens after the games, as has already been pointed out so you many times. It is the whole basis of the Olympic project, ehat do you think legacy mode means???

5. If you still fail to understand there basic concepts, then you should go back to school.
__________________
The Shard



Citius, Altius, Fortius.
tuten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #710
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

the sexas blabber is getting funnier ...keep digging that hole.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #711
Sexas
Whole Other Country
 
Sexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 735
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
the sexas blabber is getting funnier ...keep digging that hole.
Thank you I know if it possible, I know you want to keep the stadium too... Sometime I do hate reality.
And I will stop as is because some idiot start calling names by people who just posting logical question and statement, guess this place become "you need to know it all before you can post anything" type of forum.
__________________
Communication is Inevitable, Irreversible & Unrepeatable. Be Warn!
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #712
Sexas
Whole Other Country
 
Sexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 735
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Read up on the Millennium Dome and how it nearly brought down the Labour Government.

PS, you're an idiot.
It is a good example of politics over welfare...sad.
The Millennium Dome turn out just fine and I still like it a lot. I was hoping they turn it to an all weather theme park...LOL
__________________
Communication is Inevitable, Irreversible & Unrepeatable. Be Warn!

Last edited by Sexas; August 7th, 2008 at 08:54 PM.
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #713
Sexas
Whole Other Country
 
Sexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 735
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuten View Post
My goodness, you seem to have some inability to understand simple facts.

1.We already have a 'Huge' stadium for people to look at.

2. The stadium is being converted into an athletics arena after the games, which is what London needs.

3. No matter how rich a city is, it doesn't not want to be wasting money on a stadium no one is using, it would be far better spent on bringing people out of poverty, health care, education etc, don't you think?

4. We DO care about what happens after the games, as has already been pointed out so you many times. It is the whole basis of the Olympic project, ehat do you think legacy mode means???

5. If you still fail to understand there basic concepts, then you should go back to school.
I do KNOW the fact, but you can't stop people what they WANT
__________________
Communication is Inevitable, Irreversible & Unrepeatable. Be Warn!
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #714
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,760
Likes (Received): 10293

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Read up on the Millennium Dome and how it nearly brought down the Labour Government.
An interesting analogy, but weirdly one that Sexas could use to back his argument as well.

Build a giant tent in London which most people think is a white elephant and it becomes the world's most successful indoor arena a few years later...

So by that logic it should be easy to magic-up a legacy for an 80,000 seat stadium. Maybe the 'London Silly Nannies' could move in.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #715
marrio415
Registered User
 
marrio415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mansfield and Oxford UK
Posts: 835
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
I just want a SUPER good game...not to say the plan right now isn't good and clearly I see why people in London like the plan as is...but I want London's game better than Beijing and Sydney, with big building and big impact...not this recyclable shit, it make London look like have no money to build a fancy stadium and tear it down...I want London to show Dubai and Beijing "Bring it on! I can build shit and tear it down too!!"
yeah nine billion pounds doesn't look like we have money to spend does it.And i agree we need the bring it on factor i mean all we have to show in london is Buckingham palace,The eye,House of parliment,St pauls,Tates,Canary wharf,The city,wombledon,Wembley stadium,Lords,Hyde park and regents park,Trafalger square,the mall,the thames,the O2,Greenwich,The brand new olympic park and some other major landmarks .That simply won't showcase enough of london Lol -are you real dude.
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #716
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Thank you I know if it possible, I know you want to keep the stadium too... Sometime I do hate reality.
And I will stop as is because some idiot start calling names by people who just posting logical question and statement, guess this place become "you need to know it all before you can post anything" type of forum.
Yes I want to keep 25,000 seats of it.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #717
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile
 
Pompey77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,750
Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415 View Post
yeah nine billion pounds doesn't look like we have money to spend does it.And i agree we need the bring it on factor i mean all we have to show in london is Buckingham palace,The eye,House of parliment,St pauls,Tates,Canary wharf,The city,wombledon,Wembley stadium,Lords,Hyde park and regents park,Trafalger square,the mall,the thames,the O2,Greenwich,The brand new olympic park and some other major landmarks .That simply won't showcase enough of london Lol -are you real dude.
exactly London itself will be the showpiece of the 2012 olympics more so than any of the new venues. I do however love the concept of the olympic stadium and am contrary to most it seems a fan of the designs simplicity and inventiveness.
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #718
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD
 
Zenith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taunton
Posts: 7,828
Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnp View Post
Erm, with regards to (specifically to) Basketball most other countries around the world (esp. in Europe) are very big on it; except UK who suck massively at it and totally refuse to get involved in one of the biggest, most competitive sports in the world.
Yawn.
__________________
https://thezenithblog.wordpress.com/
Please visit my blog and any advice welcome.
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #719
jay_90_08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 288
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
I just want a SUPER good game...not to say the plan right now isn't good and clearly I see why people in London like the plan as is...but I want London's game better than Beijing and Sydney, with big building and big impact...not this recyclable shit, it make London look like have no money to build a fancy stadium and tear it down...I want London to show Dubai and Beijing "Bring it on! I can build shit and tear it down too!!"
Do you not listen at all to what is said????

London does not need another 70,000 stadium!
jay_90_08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #720
GreenMonk108
The Unusual Suspect
 
GreenMonk108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 221
Likes (Received): 16

I think the distinctively characteristic of each nation in term of culture and custom is more important than the size of the stadium. The olympic gives that chance to the host to present to the world their uniqueness. But, if they have money to build a grand stadium, that is absolutely fabulous; otherwise, I am still excited.
GreenMonk108 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu