daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #721
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

I go watch the less greedy Olympic over another side of the world...

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #722
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
I think it is best that you just watch and don't comment.

If you want glorious little stadiums everywhere-- I recommend you play Sim City and get it out of your system. Because that's as far as what you are suggesting will ever come to reality.
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #723
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
An interesting analogy, but weirdly one that Sexas could use to back his argument as well.

Build a giant tent in London which most people think is a white elephant and it becomes the world's most successful indoor arena a few years later...

So by that logic it should be easy to magic-up a legacy for an 80,000 seat stadium. Maybe the 'London Silly Nannies' could move in.
RobH I am not that un-logical, it just dumb luck the dome turn out nicely, we all know the government didn't plan it from the year 2000. But yes it is just what I talking about planning! promotion! planning! promotion! promotion! promotion!!!

Naaa... once they give it to Silly Nannies. they will turn it pink with rainbow highlight...
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #724
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
I think it is best that you just watch and don't comment.

If you want glorious little stadiums everywhere-- I recommend you play Sim City and get it out of your system. Because that's as far as what you are suggesting will ever come to reality.
I am sorry you have a hard life, Melbourner must not nice to you...by the style of your post, I do understand why they are not nice to you
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #725
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
I am sorry you have a hard life, Melbourner must not nice to you...by the style of your post, I do understand why they are not nice to you
Right..

Old August 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #726
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

Timelapse of London 2012 site>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7547015.stm
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #727
london lad

Likes (Received): 2246

Quote:

Why are world forum threads always full of idiots after bit of attention
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #728
jerseyboi
BANNED

[IMG]http://i28.************/vpduf8.jpg[/IMG]

LONDON EXPECTED TO BE EXCELLENT

Experts believe that London 2012 will have a hard job to match
the opening ceremony and organisation of Beijing 2008 however
the British are very creative and the 2012 games are to be more friendly
and relaxed, less formal than 2008 games.
The British are renowned for there creativity and eccentric ideas that should
be exciting and the Brit's don’t need to spend the money to achieve spectacle.

2012 games will be a show case of British talent and creativity and be very diffrent
from 2008. Each nation does its own ideas and the UK olympics will be very 'British'

Already London 2012 has a diffrent stadium concept from the previous games this is only
the start for London 2012 !
London does dare to be diffrent from the previous games!
From bbc

Last edited by jerseyboi; August 9th, 2008 at 11:47 AM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #729
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I think the London opening ceremony will be better than Beijing's. Britain has so much history and culture to reference. It's always been a highly influential country that's given the world an absolute multitude of gifts, such as the English language, computers, and some of the best music to have ever existed. The organisers aren't going to have to look far for inspiration. Beijing and China certainly have a proud and important history, but in terms of world influence, they are a dwarf in comparison to the United Kingdom. It will be easy for them to connect on a personal level with viewers.

I'm willing to bet $500000000000 that at the closing ceremony, Paul McCartney comes out and sings 'Hey Jude' and gets everyone to sing along.

city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #730
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

@ city_thing

Quote:
they are a dwarf in comparison to the United Kingdom. It will be easy for them to connect on a personal level with viewers.
Dwarf?

Okay, I know that the 'Anglo-Saxon World' (a term coined to refer to British influenced world) is, by far, the most influencial, widespread, and far-stretched.

But, to say that the 'Chinese World' (its East Asian counterpart) is a dwarf in comparison is hybole.
Old August 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #731
Captain Chaos

Likes (Received): 230

Lets hope London finds a more spectacular way of lighting the cauldron than Beijing did. Boring.

Sydney's lighting was unusual and impressive (more so had it not had a delaying malfunction) but I find it hard to think that Barcelona's inspired lighting of the cauldron will be beaten for some time to come yet.
Captain Chaos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #732
RobH

Likes (Received): 10313

I don't think Barcelona will ever be bettered. London ought to simplify the lighting, Beijing were too clever for their own good. The ceremony was brilliant though.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #733
GreenMonk108
The Unusual Suspect

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I think the London opening ceremony will be better than Beijing's. Britain has so much history and culture to reference. It's always been a highly influential country that's given the world an absolute multitude of gifts, such as the English language, computers, and some of the best music to have ever existed. The organisers aren't going to have to look far for inspiration. Beijing and China certainly have a proud and important history, but in terms of world influence, they are a dwarf in comparison to the United Kingdom. It will be easy for them to connect on a personal level with viewers.

I'm willing to bet $500000000000 that at the closing ceremony, Paul McCartney comes out and sings 'Hey Jude' and gets everyone to sing along.

Don't say...do it! I will look forward to it in the next four year.
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #734
somataki

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Beijing and China certainly have a proud and important history, but in terms of world influence, they are a dwarf in comparison to the United Kingdom.
somataki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #735
RobH

Let's not get into an argument about which country has had a bigger influence; it's a three hour show and both countries have more than enough history to fill that!!
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #736
somataki

Yes, its is a pity to compare cultures and civilizations. But London has a really hard job to do. Comin after Athens, the birthplace of the western culture and Beijing, the birthplace of the eastern culture, trully London has to try so hard to impress.
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #737
RobH

And it will
Old August 9th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #738
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor View Post
Dwarf?

Okay, I know that the 'Anglo-Saxon World' (a term coined to refer to British influenced world) is, by far, the most influencial, widespread, and far-stretched.

But, to say that the 'Chinese World' (its East Asian counterpart) is a dwarf in comparison is hybole.
Ok, so maybe 'dwarf' wasn't the right word!

But the United Kingdom has had far more influence than China, just look at how widespread the English language is. What I meant by the statement is that the UK has many more ways of connecting with people through their culture than China, due to the technologies and cultural figures that the nation has produced. Thereby, viewers will engage more readily with the concepts portrayed in the opening ceremony (of course considering that the UK chooses to celebrate their role in the world during the ceremony) than they will with China's. It's like when Athens referenced their role as creators of democracy, development of maths etc. and that China referenced their 4 great inventions. The UK must have a billion 'gifts' that they've given to the world that could be used, and their culture has gone on to affect every single person on Earth.

Does that make more sense?
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #739
somataki

Quote:
Ok, so maybe 'dwarf' wasn't the right word!

But the United Kingdom has had far more influence than China, just look at how widespread the English language is. What I meant by the statement is that the UK has many more ways of connecting with people through their culture than China, due to the technologies and cultural figures that the nation has produced. Thereby, viewers will engage more readily with the concepts portrayed in the opening ceremony (of course considering that the UK chooses to celebrate their role in the world during the ceremony) than they will with China's. It's like when Athens referenced their role as creators of democracy, development of maths etc. and that China referenced their 4 great inventions. The UK must have a billion 'gifts' that they've given to the world that could be used, and their culture has gone on to affect every single person on Earth.

Does that make more sense?

Billion gifts??Funny. Just name 10 things from GB like that which are more important for every single person on earth than the "inventions" of China, like paper or the greek "inventions", like democracy, Socrates, Aristotle, Plato' s philosophical theories, Parthenon and its impact to world's architecture, theatre, olympic games, pythagorean geometry, etc etc. Im curious to learn.
Even the english language, is not the world's most spoken. Fist is the chinese, spoken by 1,205m pieople, 2nd the arabic and 3rd the spanish.
Old August 9th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #740
jerseyboi
BANNED

for a start the industrial revolution started in uk first , Britian was first
to industralise and use factorys and the steam engine, radio and telephone..light bulb, powerloom,
all invented in the uk.

The Industrial Revolution of the 18th and 19th Centuries was the most influential transformation of culture and working patterns since the advent of agriculture around ten thousand years before.

Its effects fuelled change in labour patterns, social structure, the function of the family and the values and attitudes of the individual. It involved more than simply technological expansion - it was driven by massive social change and started in Britain and the catalyst for the british empire
then to spread across the world. This was the biggest social and industrial change the world had
seen..the powerloom was invented in uk and was first to be used in factories for cotton on
a mass scale in the uk, and was the first place of mass production..

The changes subsequently spread throughout Europe and North America and eventually the world, a process that continues as industrialisation, all starting in UK.

http://www.shropshiretourism.info/ir...useum-of-iron/
the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution.

http://inventors.about.com/library/i..._inventors.htm
full list of british inventions

Last edited by jerseyboi; August 9th, 2008 at 03:17 PM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympic games 2012, olympic stadium, olympics